Author Topic: Yum yum cooking time!  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Yum yum cooking time!
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:01:02 pm »
So I finally have the house to myself and am making what I call soft pretzel bagels! So good! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boiled-bagels/Detail.aspx

But to the point! I am looking for super yummy tried and true recipes since the internet while filled with many recipes is not always a good source for good reviews. Although there was that lemon bar recipe...

Please share your yummies! Need to fill my cookbook. ;D
Secrety secrets!

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
Re: Yum yum cooking time!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:11:07 pm »
Fried Chicken. FRIED CHICKEN.

The best ever, in fact. It's kind of a recipe, but also tips.

Before you cook this, be sure to wash your hands before and after handling the chicken. It has bacteria that can make you very sick.

Pretty much for every 2 chicken tenders, you'll want 1 egg and some milk (id say 2 tablespoons maybe more. I eyeball my measurements.)

For the seasoning/coating over the wet tender, I mix flour, garlic and onion powder, basil, pepper, and a little bacon salt (optional). Also I sometimes add either cumin or curry powder (a little) for whatever taste id like. If I want it with BBQ sauce, I put in cumin. If im going to cut it up for a salad or pasta, I add curry.

I add oil in a frying pan and fry it rather than deep fry it. I guess you can deep-fry it too if you like. you WANT to add oil to your pan for the chicken to have a "fry"-like texture and appearance, but don't put too much for it can either pop and burn your skin or you'll be wasting. Also be careful not to have the temperature too high, or the oil will pop too much.

When one side is golden brown, flip to the other side. When both sides are golden brown, I check if its done by taking the last strip out that I put in, cutting into the middle a bit with a knife, and checking. If it's still pink, put it back in the pan to cook. If it's white, then it's done.

Put it between 2 or 3 layers of paper towels on a plate, then put another paper towel/napkin or two on top to dab out all the oil. Once you do that, you're chicken is done! :3
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Yum yum cooking time!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »
MWHAHAHAHA!
Hard to list recipes I have come up with on my own, except bacon, I swear by baking bacon, it will give you the best bacon ever, foil line a cookie sheet lay out the bacon, put on bottom of a cold oven and bake about 400 for 5 mins flip then maybe another few (it really depends on bacon thickness) until its done to your liking, just don't forget about it
there is my bacon wrapped shrimp...
you can make as much as you want I am going to make say 8 appetizers for writing sake
4 stripsbacon (cut into half strips) as said above until its about 1/2 to 3/4 cooked, mostly cooked but still pliant this is important
8 tooth picks
8 small cubes favorite cheese(tillamook colby jack<3) say about the size of end of pointer finger maybe a bit bigger
8 large shrimp or bigger cleaned shelled (fresh is awesome tho for frozen I recommend
"Pacific Seafood" sold at fred Meyer, its the same suff they put out in the seafood butcher block area, only still frozen not thawed like in the case, I have taste tested a bunch and their quality is consistent, I once cooked a raw costco shrimp and a "Pacific Seafood" each plain just a little salt, and had my hubby taste them, and he thought the costco was the unseasoned and the pacific seasoned, and they go on sale often about $6 a pound)
fave bbq sauce, add a little lemon juice and your favorite seasoning, I add paprika and garlic powder and parsley
mix sauce add shrimp to it and coat them, then assemble
toothpick cheese chunk half way down, shrimp, wrap bacon around, repeat, place on the foil lined cookie sheet from the bacon
Then back to oven 400, 7 mins flip another 7 until bacon is finished cooked and the shrimp are cooked,
the cheese will ooze out but its part of the charm tilt the pan so the oil drains from them then devour.

since I don't write it down, tho I use a couple of food network ones that I swear by

Chocolate Mousse
Tyler Florence
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chocolate-mousse-recipe/index.html
I really like this recipe because it uses the whole egg without having like some yolks or whites left over(yes raw eggs but just handle correctly) and it is worth using as good of chocolate as you can get, and if you want to cut a corner, instead of buying whipping cream, buy a can of reddi whip and 1/2 whipping cream =1 cup whipped topping (no cool whip)
but yes really yummy
Alton Browns Creme Brulle
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creme-brulee-recipe/index.html
you might need to play around with this cooking time, depending on your ramkins size, I love that you can easily half this recipe, and it will make about 4 4oz servings.  If you dont have a kitchen torch (industrial ones work too :)) you can set your oven on broil for a min or so just DO NOT LEAVE IT watch like a hawk.
I have also experimented with cooking on a heated salt slab, more on that latter
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:37:37 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids