Author Topic: Prop and Weapon help?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Kitten Face

• Sailor Scout
    • Wishing Star Cosplay
Prop and Weapon help?
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:25 am »

So I will be cosplaying Blood Moon Akali in September for Kumoricon now I pretty much have everything but, need help on how to make her mask thing as well as the weapons, I have very little experience in making props and such but, want to make my own so I said let's try it. Now I just need a good tutorial in which I can do so but, haven't found to many so if you know some good ways to make either one of these or both please message me or just write it here any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://lolwp.com/wp-content/uploads/Blood-Moon-Akali-Chinese.jpg

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011/233/b/a/lol___blood_moon_akali_by_knockwurst-d47e43d.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me23pfArtJ1rna804o1_500.jpg

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Prop and Weapon help?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:28 am »
First of all, that character looks awesome, so I can't wait to see the finished product.

As far as the mask and weapons, I've got some tips for both. When I get home I'll get those tutorials to you. :)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kitten Face

• Sailor Scout
    • Wishing Star Cosplay
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:09:20 am »
First of all, that character looks awesome, so I can't wait to see the finished product.

As far as the mask and weapons, I've got some tips for both. When I get home I'll get those tutorials to you. :)

Yeah I am super excited to get it done :3
and thanks so much!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:13:16 am »
I recently made a Tiny Tina cosplay, and for the mask she has, I used a plain white craft mask [http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ktSoRNTmYGo/TjnhAxi08ZI/AAAAAAAABbc/VQtzv2UQheA/s640/face+mask+.jpg] for the base, then put model magic on top to shape it. After the model magic, I used a water/glue mix to seal it (many layers) and then painted it/ sharpied designs on it and put a few more layers on it to seal the paint. For the parts that stick out, I would recommend using wire or tinfoil as a base before the model magic, so it's a little stronger. You can find both the mask and the model magic at Joanns or Michaels.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »
I am trying to get my Trafalgar Law(Pre Time-skip version) done before the con.

The only problem I'm having right now is making a non metal version of his sword.

http://www.hellocosplay.com/one-piece-cosplay-trafalgar-law-katana-sword-weapon-prop-p-7453.html
& http://www.lightinthebox.com/one-piece-trafalgar-law-cosplay-sword_p383637.html

Now I need some help on what materials to make it and where I can get them.  ???

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:53:44 pm »
Okay, I'm home, heh.

These are the two sites that have gotten me through many projects.

The first is Armormaking for the Fiberglass Phobic. This is a great resource for armor as well as props. With just craft foam and plastic sheeting, you can accomplish a ton of great looking stuff. There are step-by-step guides for everything. Take a look through and you should find all the information you need to make anything you need.

The other is Kamui Cosplay. Her site and this video tutorial are super helpful for working with expanding foam. Expanding foam is amazing, to put it plainly. I made the tip of this harpoon last year using the expanding foam method seen in her video. I love how easy it is to shape and sculpt anything you want to make. I'm sure with her methods, you can make those weapons really nicely. The mask may be a little tricky, but these sites should at least give you the resources to get thinking in the right direction.

Good luck, Kitten Face! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions or want someone to brainstorm with. I love making props and helping people with their projects. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kitten Face

• Sailor Scout
    • Wishing Star Cosplay
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »
Okay, I'm home, heh.

The first is Armormaking for the Fiberglass Phobic. This is a great resource for armor as well as props. With just craft foam and plastic sheeting, you can accomplish a ton of great looking stuff. There are step-by-step guides for everything. Take a look through and you should find all the information you need to make anything you need.

The other is Kamui Cosplay. Her site and this video tutorial are super helpful for working with expanding foam. Expanding foam is amazing, to put it plainly. I made the tip of this harpoon last year using the expanding foam method seen in her video. I love how easy it is to shape and sculpt anything you want to make. I'm sure with her methods, you can make those weapons really nicely. The mask may be a little tricky, but these sites should at least give you the resources to get thinking in the right direction.

Good luck, Kitten Face! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions or want someone to brainstorm with. I love making props and helping people with their projects. ^_^

First off I have to say, as a die hard FFVIII fan I am going to flip if that is Ward from Final Fantasy VIII x_x
I love seeing other cosplays from VIII! as a Rinoa I don't see to many :p
and also, thanks so much! I will look over all of them once I am home :3

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »
Don't know if you saw, but I replied to this thread on coscom for ya.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:29:53 pm »
Okay, I'm home, heh.

First off I have to say, as a die hard FFVIII fan I am going to flip if that is Ward from Final Fantasy VIII x_x

Oh, then you need to check out this album of photos from Kumori 2012, heh. Last year, my wife, sister and I cosplayed as Laguna, Ellone and Ward (respectively). It was a blast, and I love doing obscure characters, heh. So glad that you dig it. ^_^
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:30:15 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kitten Face

• Sailor Scout
    • Wishing Star Cosplay
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:48:30 pm »
Okay, I'm home, heh.

Oh, then you need to check out this album of photos from Kumori 2012, heh. Last year, my wife, sister and I cosplayed as Laguna, Ellone and Ward (respectively). It was a blast, and I love doing obscure characters, heh. So glad that you dig it. ^_^

Oh I wish I could have seen that! ;-; That is so awesome, this is my first Kumori :b I've been at Sakura-con the past two years. I usually don't see to many VIII cosplayers but, I have a friend who does Zell and we walk around as Rinoa and Zell :3