Author Topic: Not-Do's for Cosplay Safety  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Takeshi-San

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
Not-Do's for Cosplay Safety
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
This idea came to me last year, but since this years con is approaching, now might be a good time to post this.

At last years Kumoricon, me and my posse had been sitting around at Esther Park minding our own business. From where we were situated, we were able to watch the on-going glomp circle about twenty-thirty feet away (it kept expanding so we had to move farther back a few times).  Suddenly we hear, "GLOMP ICHIGO" from the circle and before any of us can react the Ichigo in our group is held in a murderous hug by a quarter of the glomp circle. Once everyone returned to the circle our Ichigo pointed out that their waraji had been stepped on and was broken. Not only were we not participating in the circle itself, we were unwillingly put into it and a cosplay was damaged because of it. Baaad.

Now I don't know if there is a thread like this already, but if not, this incident brought me to say: Let's create a list of things not to do at conventions that may infract ones cosplay.

To start:
1. Do not garner attention of those not participating in a glomp circle.
K-Con '14 Plans
Sanji and Law - "One Piece" / Wolfwood - "Trigun" / Mako and Wan - "Legend of Korra"

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: Not-Do's for Cosplay Safety
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:04:40 pm »
The Depp Squad has has this issue multiple times with glomp circles. And the best advice I can say for anyone who's been made the focus of the glomp circle, hold up your arms in front of you to stop them, make an angry face and scream NO multiple times as loud as you can. And really mean it. Back up if you have to, but do not run away or the glompers might actually chase you.

Another issue I've had time and again is people bumping into me or stepping on me. Yeah sure I'm short, but that does not give people 6' tall to step on the backs of my heels, bump into me or look completely over my head and continue walking. People of all heights, please look around in front of you and before you walk. A kid or someone short (or in a wheelchair) might be behind you or in your way, and you don't want to hurt them.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:06:13 pm »
I think a general rule for all con goers is to show up with a good attitude, and be nice. These last three years I've gone, I've dealt with rude cosplayers calling me a whale, saying my cosplay sucks cuz i didn't have a tail for Minnie mouse, how I'm a dyke cuz i was holding hands with another girl, and most of all, the glomp circle people who actually yell and hit you for not wanting to be glomped. I was called a bitch several times for telling people not to glomp me, and last year, one girl actually growled at me and spat at the ground when i asked her. to please not touch me.
I really think we need to have a yojimbo squad that watches specifically park activities. Is that possible?

Offline Invader spleen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:28:11 pm »
As far as I know, there are valid rules about asking permission to glomp someone, but group hugs might be excluded. I do know, however, that glomp circles are not allowed on con ground, which is why they are always in the park (even when they are little). The best you can do is report it to con staff, but I don't think they can do anything since they have no control over what goes on in the public space. Maybe if we make the rules video a little more specific, people will be more understanding of what's going on around them?
Poor Tala. : ( I'm sorry that happened to you. I think sticking in groups is the best option, but that isn't always fun, much less always an option. And I think anyone who uses physical force, like hitting, should be reported even if they are in the parks. Still, I'm not sure if staff could do anything.
But hey, discussions spread awareness!

2. Always be polite and ask before hugging (even if someone says no).

Offline Caceres

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:16:42 pm »
Just wanted to say I think this post is great, This is will be my first con and its awsome to hear some do's and dont's :)
Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Inuyasha-100%

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »
*shudders* glomp circle... Some of those people don't know what common sense is, especially when they tried glomping me, a girl who had a tall staff with a big staff top. Doesn't mix well.

A big no no is people thinking that cosplay equals permission to grope, spank, grab, etc. It does not give you the privilege to sexually harass any one just because they are wearing a cosplay outfit (more focus on revealing cosplays). I have had things happen to me like that. I have had my ass slapped, I was once asked (more pressured then anything....) to kiss someone because I was dressed as their favorite character, I've been pushed onto another cosplayer by another person because they ship that supposed couple.. I have also heard many other horror stories from other con goers about sexual harassment, and I can see it is a continuous growing problem at conventions.

Cosplayers aren't play toys. We are still people. We are just dressed up. Treat us with the same respect.

I see there is a facebook page made dedicated to these issues happening and wanting to get the word out further:
https://www.facebook.com/CosplayIsNotConsent
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:25:26 pm by Chromophobic »

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:27 pm »
just from things i have read not and some first hand experiance:

DO NOT get into the pool/spa/hottub ext with out removing ALL MAKE UP (including bodypaint) we all want to enjoy a clean pool.

DO NOT make out in a public pool on con grounds. it really disturbs other swimmers and can make the leave the pool when they also deserve some time in the pool they paid to use, please keep such grafic pda in a non-public space.

DO NOT run blindly at someone/something you want to keep aware of your suroundings so you dont hurt someone or brake something (including yourself)

DO NOT cross a street when your light is red. be respectful to those driving around you. they have jobs they need to get to and could have been blind sided by a con they "didnt know about" you could get very hurt and yes it would be your own fault for crossing on a red.
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:40:22 pm »
To add to the "ask before hugging", "ask before touching" period.

I've asked to pose with cosplayers before- who are showing much more skin than me, or are covered in a billion layers- and I always ask "may I touch you" before my hand even moves toward them. Some people don't want to be touched or they have a preference of how and where you are allowed to. It's just another level of respectfulness you really need to consider.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Takeshi-San

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 01:59:25 am »
Just wanted to say I think this post is great, This is will be my first con and its awsome to hear some do's and dont's :)
You will have a blast!! To me, attending Kumoricon is the best thing I do each year. It's an amazing experience. :)

And on the subject of body-paint, I actually have a second story from that same "sitting-in-circle-in-park". During that same sitting session (lol), I had been approached by an Ice King cosplayer, obviously full of some sort of makeup or bodypaint. With consent, I was physically (in a jokingly comedic manner) dragged away from my friends a short distance. Somehow the Ice Kings makeup/bodypaint had gotten onto my kimono (I was cosplaying Rukia) and left a blue stain on it.

Conceal that stuff up!!
K-Con '14 Plans
Sanji and Law - "One Piece" / Wolfwood - "Trigun" / Mako and Wan - "Legend of Korra"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:44 am »
There have been various threads about this sort of thing before, mostly in the General area and Off-Topic area.  It seems that no matter how much word gets out about respecting others space and asking before one glomps, there are always those out there that choose to ignore these common place rules or claim to be "unaware" of common courtesy.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »
I think its there, but if not, has anyone ever thought of adding the 'no touching' rule to the opening ceremonies when they read all the rules? Maybe like, more than it may already be?
Ive only gone to opening ceremonies once, since it was really hard for me to get there on time and still find all my friends every other year, but that one time I only remember them saying "Ask first" and that was pretty much it. Maybe it needs to be laid out in a very HUGE AND IN YOUR FACE MANNER LIKE THIS (teehee)

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:24:57 pm »
On the note of sealing your makeup, throughout the day your body gets oily and the makeup is more likely to start coming off.
Sometimes even if it's sealed best as possible you can rub off a little on people. Use gentle touches, and light physical interacting when wearing any bodypaint, because it will come off at some point in the day, sealed or not.