Author Topic: Size of cosplay question  (Read 1281 times)

Offline KarenD

• Oni
Size of cosplay question
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:19 pm »
I'm a con newbie, but this will be the third year for my two teenage daughters.  I have decided to cosplay as a Dalek from Doctor Who and am creating my cosplay from actual Dalek building plans, but with building materials more suitable for a cosplay.

So far I have created the base.  On a Dalek this is the very bottom part that sits on the floor, square but the angled as it goes up where it attaches to the skirt.  I have built it out of cardboard and it will be covered in fabric with Velcro so the cardboard can be removed.

My eldest daughter wants me to abandon my plans and create the typical Dalek dress cosplay you can find all over the Internet, but I want to do something different and more authentic.  Her objection is that she thinks the base is too large and that con attendees will be upset with me because of the size.  It is approximately the size of a wheelchair - 30 inches wide by 42 inches long.  I removed one set of panels, which decreased the size a little bit and deceased the amount of styrofoam balls I needed to purchase to attach to the skirt.

I will be wearing clothes under the cosplay so I can take it off whenever I want, especially if I am going to a panel.  I'm just concerned about what my daughter says about making other people upset at me when I am trying to move through crowds.  By the way, my younger, optimistic daughter says it is fine and she is excited about me making this cosplay.

I have helped them many times over the years to create their cosplays and am excited to be making my own.

Any thoughts from experienced con attendees or cosplayers?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Size of cosplay question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »
Speaking as someone who has used a wheel chair for medical reasons during con (when I was full term preggers mostly at the end of the day) any costume that is cumbersome ie hard for people to get around etc, is going to get a few dirty looks or comments from people who have decided you have inconvinced them,(but they are going to be the type who need to have something to complain about, even if its a 9 month pregger lady in a wheel chair) but that happens, and it shouldn't keep you from doing the cosplay you want.

That said, I don't know how well you will be able to move or if your vision will be impaired by the costume, if it does then I recommend having a handler (some one with you to make sure you don't run into people or block peoples way and such) someone with you. for example my brother has a father cat and he can not see at all in it so I would walk with him.

from what you have described it shouldn't bee too bad, and I have seen much worse from people with out handlers who really should have.  Also if going to a pannel I would recommend leaving it in the room as pannel rooms can be a bit small and filled with people, if you took it off and left it in the back while sitting it could acidently be damaged.  For events in the main events area, there is plenty of room to stash it next to the walls.

But yeah as long as you are aware of your surroundings  and other attendees and plan accourdingly I think you should be find.  As for comments people that sadly can just happen and shouldn't stop your fun

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline KarenD

• Oni
Re: Size of cosplay question
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:55:25 pm »
Thanks superjaz.  The skirt won't be completely stiff, so I should be able to lift and tilt the base to get through really crowded areas.  And I'm on staff, so I'm hoping I can leave the cosplay in the staff area when. Want to go to a panel.

And thanks for he advice on having map aired vision.  I am still working on the headpiece, but it will probably be a helmet so my face isn't covered or maybe I will design something that I can raise while I'm walking around and lower for pictures and such.