Author Topic: Anime, what happened? (Also Anime thread)  (Read 9362 times)

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
Anime, what happened? (Also Anime thread)
« on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:22 pm »
Well I figured this section would be flourishing with activity and talk of the latest anime, manga and or light novels from the fabled Nippon. But however as I give a glance at this place, it is practically dead. So what gives?

Anyway, I'm here to talk about Anime and so should you. So let's really roll up our sleeves and make some activity out of this nice forum they gave us.

Since this season is drawing to a close (Spring Season) and Summer is just right around the corner, I'll definitely pop a few questions: What are you watching now and what will you be watching in the next few months?

A few more here to get things going as well: What's your favorite Anime so far this year? Any specific characters pop out at you for your favor? Are you in need of any suggestion for new Anime to dive into?

Of course the hottest Anime is what is airing now, but that doesn't mean I discourage the discussion of older Anime,  I welcome all (just nothing too crazy). Main thing here is, this site is for the convention of who we are, and I say let's talk about one of our hobbies right here.

I'll go first as usual since I am the original poster.
Spring Anime list for me:
>Attack on Titan
>To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S
>Valvrave the Liberator
>Nyarlko W
>My Teenage RomCom SNAFU
>Oreimo
>Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
>Hataraku Maou-sama!
>Suisei no Gargantia

Currently enjoying the most: Attack on Titan and Hataraku Maou-sama! What has got me lost on the story is these two Animes: Hentai Ouji and Gargantia,

Now, it's your turn.

Also, picture related below...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:30:06 pm by Hedronox »
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Re: Anime, what happened? (Also Anime thread)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:06:41 am »
I've got to say, I've been a tad disappointed with anime as of late. Thunder Cats got redone into an anime and its horrible. Teen Titians was replaced with this horribly chibi-fied anime thing that, I think, has worse animation than that show Shin Chan.  Inuyasha repeats aren't even on anymore. Bleach and Naruto both have never been appealing to me. And I've already watched all the anime I love on netflix; chobits, elfen lied, high school of the dead, ouran host club, pretty much all the girly ones they have available.
If you have any to offer, Id love to hear it and where I can find them online lol

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:15:24 am »
LOVE LOVE LOVE Attack on Titan. I started reading the Manga since I read a lot faster and I can bust out a chapter in down time at work or while waiting for something rather than having to sit through a 30 minute show. The anime is pretty good but I really like how the manga hooks you in by showing all the action THEN going back to see the training. I feel like the anime would have been better that way as well. I also can't wait till the anime gets further in so people can flip tables and throw phones (how I read my manga) with me. Sasha is my spirit animal. I can't wait to get my 3DMG done and cosplay Mikasa and Sasha!

Also as you can see I also enjoy Magi, not a huge fan of how the anime ended though....as compared to the manga.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:16:42 am by nikkiolie »

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:37:48 am »
@ TalaRedWolf33
There's plenty of sources amazingly, some publishing companies actually put full seasons of Anime on Youtube. I remember watching the entire first season of Code Geass on Youtube. Oh man....so many Pizza Hut promo's. Crunchyroll website offers streaming of the latest Anime every season, you just have to pay a month to month fee I believe. There also other free streaming sites...I don't entirely recommend that because some of them are not virus free. There's also torrent downloading or you can buy most of this stuff on Blu Ray and or DVD from online sites.

@ nikkiolie
If I only wish I read manga more often then I could taste how you feel about Shingeki no Kyojin ;_;. I never gone past the first episode of Magi because that short little boy in that Anime was voice by Asuna from Sword Art Online which gave me plenty of incentive to drop it due to the fact that I didn't want me image of her being transferred into a mere boy lol. I know, odd reason to not watch it, but perhaps another time I'll give it another chance.

Question for all: Anyone ever watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:38:39 am by Hedronox »
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:46 am »
I don't follow new anime as hardcore as most otaku do, partially for the same reason that Tala mentioned in her opening sentence: anime lately has been disappointing.  Really, the latest TRULY enjoyable anime for me was the Melancholy of Haruhi-Chan.  Others have been okay, at best, but the fanbase treats it like a new religion (in fairness, same thing with TMOHS, but not H-Chan).

Another reason is that I am quite busy as it is without being able to follow various new series.  Plus, I have limited knowledge on HOW to get these series, and what I know, my laptop freaks out.  (Thank you, Malware...).

The final reason is that I prefer anime from the late '80s to mid-'90s.

...gotta go; Chan is unhappy with me.  BYE!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Pumpkinziggy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:40:15 pm »
I've heard of many of the new anime that have been listed, but never really considered watching them. I already have quite a few anime to watch, and I've been lazy about those. At the moment, I still have to watch Yu Yu Hakusho, but I'm feeling discouraged because the place where I would buy the DVDs went away. D: I also have Ginga Densetsu Weed on my list, and one of my friends at Sakura-Con told me about one called No. 6 that might be interesting.

At the moment, my favorite is D.Gray-man. I always have the urge to watch it, but since I only have a few episodes of the anime left, I try not to use it up too fast. The anime was never completed, which disappoints me because in the next couple of episodes, it would have gotten to one of my favorite scenes in the manga.
Welp, can't come to Kumoricon for the next four years... See you all in 2019 hopefully ;w;

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »
@ Washougal_Otaku
Well that's not really a fair call to say that Anime in general is disappointing as of late. It really depends on what each and everyone is into and what types of genres. Like you mentioned The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I must say, that was enjoyable, however they really killed it with the Endless Eight. Now if we're talking about the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, then we're talking about one of the most amazing Anime movies ever.

@ Pumpkinziggy

D-Gray-man wasn't too bad at all for the episodes that I saw. Should consider a three episode trial with some of these Animes.

With everyone else here who is interesting branching out to other Animes and what not, I've created a list below for everyone. :)

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (Comedy Drama)
Fate/Zero (Action Thriller Fantasy)
Psycho-Pass (Cyber-Punk Thriller Sci-Fi)
Hyouka (Mystery)
Carnival Phantasm (Comedy Fantasy)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:04:50 pm by Hedronox »
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 04:39:00 pm »
@ TalaRedWolf33
There's plenty of sources amazingly, some publishing companies actually put full seasons of Anime on Youtube. I remember watching the entire first season of Code Geass on Youtube. Oh man....so many Pizza Hut promo's. Crunchyroll website offers streaming of the latest Anime every season, you just have to pay a month to month fee I believe. There also other free streaming sites...I don't entirely recommend that because some of them are not virus free. There's also torrent downloading or you can buy most of this stuff on Blu Ray and or DVD from online sites.

I'd have to enthusiastically echo the Crunchyroll recommendation; it's what I jumped to after I exhausted everything that looked halfway decent on Netflix. They have a pretty good library in addition to getting lots of the latest anime every season, and it's only $7 a month for relatively high-res streaming. Or if money is tight and you can put up with moderate-quality res (though still far better than YouTube or most pirate sites, IMO) and waiting a week for the most recent episode, it's free.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 06:03:49 pm »
Thanks guys! Ya know, I've been seriously thinking about crunchy roll. I already pay for netflix lol
I did just find this awesome anime on netflix this morning. Its called SquidGirl lol Its so cute!

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:33:46 pm »
@random
Thanks for the promotion of Crunchyroll! They don't have an entire catalog of Anime on their site, however they do have quite an extensive list, so it's for the most part a healthy amount of variety.

@ TalaRedWolf33
Ika Musume, that Anime was pretty darn enjoyable just for light watching. It has two seasons and the comedy in that show is pretty entertaining. There's an episode where everyone tries to speak English for real and it just made me smile and laugh. :D
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 09:45:13 am »
@ Washougal_Otaku
Well that's not really a fair call to say that Anime in general is disappointing as of late. It really depends on what each and everyone is into and what types of genres. Like you mentioned The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I must say, that was enjoyable, however they really killed it with the Endless Eight. Now if we're talking about the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, then we're talking about one of the most amazing Anime movies ever.

I liked the Endless Eight; I thought it was a clever way to work with a short story from the manga, which in my opinion, was too short.

As for the "unfair" comment, if you'll notice I did say "for me."  Therefore, by default, it was 100% fair for me to say that.  It reflects on my opinion, and that alone makes it fair.  Perhaps if shows did a better job of being creative enough to not make me think "This is just like such-and-such show from the early '90s," not rely on heavy lolita/tsundere/boy love/YAOI garbage, and not have a fanbase destroy any sense of joy that it might create, then I might have a different stance on it.

Things that have been somewhat-original haven't been that enjoyable.  ...I just remembered an exception: Shiki.  This has been an enjoyable series, yet there is still one problem that I have with it.  I have been watching it on Xfinity, in the FUNimation Free section; it ain't free anymore, yet it's still in that area.  To top it off, I can't find the next episode on YouTube.

Another reason that I wasn't able to go over yesterday because SOMEONE was impatient, is video rental stores.  This was how I really got into anime series and movies for the first few years of the new millennium.  Now, there aren't that many around, and what is around has a terrible selection of anime.  The closest place to my home that I know has anime has either Naruto, Pokemon, or hentai.  No thanks; I'll pass.

In conclusion, despite what I have said, there have been some things that are tolerable, and even somewhat enjoyable.  Yet I stand by my opinion that anime has become more and more disappointing over the years.

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 11:44:14 am »
@Washougal_Otaku

While you believe it was a clever way to incorporate the story, it was at another perspective a large waste of eight weeks. It was also the least profitable arc in terms volume sales. They could have condensed it down to two to four episodes. After watching all eight (just because on the record I can actually say I've seen all eight), I literally just stopped watching Anime for an entire week thanks to this loop.

I do apologize for generalizing your opinion as more than just yours. I will go ahead and now ask what types of genres, themes of Anime's are you into? You've clearly told everyone here what you don't like and I respect that opinion of yours.

Attack on Titan and Fate/Zero carries none of what you have described as "garbage". However, both of them do carry a high amount of action and a good amount of story. The pacing wont kill you either because it keeps you engaged.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:45:30 am by Hedronox »
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 08:20:48 am »
But did you read the manga version first?  Most American anime fans that have seen (at least some of) the Endless Eight didn't, nor do they understand the significance of the #8 in Japanese culture.  If Japan had the same perspective on numbers that I do, (which is that there's nothing special about them) then I would agree with about 3 or so, rather than 8.

To be fair, I haven't really gone into what I don't like on a clear level; compared to what I don't like and why, I have still been quite vague.

Also, based off of the title of this thread, and the first few posts in here, it was my impression that we were to discuss the latest anime and what we thought of it.  I gave my two cents about that, which is that what I know is uninteresting and that I can wait for these "great" shows to be easier for me to access at a future date (which that last part I didn't make too clear on).

I like shows that are comical, depending on the style used.  Ranma 1/2, for example, was zany and creative, while throwing in a lot of cultural elements that made me pick up a book and research what certain things were and meant to the Japanese (and sometimes Chinese) people.  Also, how many anime titles before 1988 mentioned the Amazons and a possible theory to what happened to them?

Blue Seed is another that I really like; in fact, that is the series that lead me to becoming an American otaku (and yes, there is a difference between our perceived definition of that word and what the Japanese see in that term).  Blue Seed had plenty of humor, while having a great deal of monster-based action and a s*** ton of Japanese cultural elements to it.  I also read the manga just about a year ago; it is one of the few cases in which the anime was CLEARLY better than the manga (even though the manga did have something cool happen in it that I wish was in the anime...).

The final show that I will mention is The Slayers, both the TV series and the OVAs.  This was based off of a DnD game, from what I understand, which essentially means that it's sort of a European-esque world done from an Asian perspective.  From other anime titles that I've seen that was like this from that time period (such as Record of Lodoss War and Dragon Half), The Slayers was the most comical while still being the "most accurate" with pre-Renaissance Europe.  Many of Lina's adventures were weird and zany (there's that word again...), but every now and then we see great feats that shouldn't be done by mere mortals, such as kicking "the devil's" butt TWICE!

...gotta go again; my son needs me.

Offline teenagekixz

• Oni
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 04:14:22 am »
my favorite animes this year are..
"Problem children are coming from another world, aren't they?". It's definitely the type of anime I usually go for(comedy/action), and I really loved it. The characters are all amazing, and develop through the series really well. Hopefully there's a Season 2!

"Attack on Titan" is my most recently watched, and I CAN'T stop watching. I'm obsessed. The first episode is probably the most epic 1st episode EVER. Also, the animation is amazing. I can't wait to finish it!

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 08:45:31 am »
@ Washougal_Otaku
I'll be honest here, I haven't read the original source for Haruhi, then again a lot of people don't. If you would like to indulge me on this understand of the number eight, I would grace you with my undivided attention. :)

While I do understand a lot of Anime's nowadays has gone full moe, that doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there without the childish elements attached to it. They're just harder to find.

@ teenagekixz
First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, I'm glad we have someone who also is watching Attack on Titan (then again 90% of the internet is). I've never actually heard of the first Anime you've mentioned, so I'm at a loss for opinions.
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 12:51:12 pm »

To paraphrase the endless eight in the manga, they only focused on the last day.  There was no build up to it, which sort of disinterested me from the feelings of deja vu that is felt in the anime's episodes.

While I do understand a lot of Anime's nowadays has gone full moe, that doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there without the childish elements attached to it. They're just harder to find.

Which is what I was saying from the beginning, along with other elements that are bland, at best.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »
I keep getting too busy to watch anime and it annoys me, honestly. The ones I'm slowly working on are STAR DRIVER and Kyou Kara Maou.

But the last ones I watched were Gun X Sword and Gungrave- more manly anime- but they were really good.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
The "Needs More Love" section of tvtropes always has good suggestions. It's the article that showed me Pumpkin Scissors, and I have since been ever-grateful. Real Drive was also nice, as well as Dennou Coil. Check it out if you want to find something that likely didn't get the publicity it deserved.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 12:10:22 am »
I'm pretty fond of Dangan Ronpa: The Animation thus far. Plus Attack on Titan, which is pretty great, and then there's Free!. And Little Witch Academia might be getting a second episode/OVA, so that's a thing.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:55:10 pm »
I pretty much just watch anime that gets released in the US (either dub or sub) because I can't stand watching anime on my computer, so the series I watch tend to be a little behind other people sometimes, but currently I'm watching...
-Place to Place (this series has been cracking me up)
-Chuunibyou (I'm rather enjoying it)
-Btooom! (just started it, haven't been too taken with it)
-Zettai Karen Children (another one I'm rather enjoying)
-Say I Love You (not sure why I'm watching it, to be honest)
-Love, Elections & Chocolate (I can't decide what I think of it yet...)
-Psychic Detective Yakumo (I'm on the fence with this one)
-The Pet Girl of Sakurasou (another one I'm a little on the fence about)
-Galaxy Express 999 (a great series)
-D Gray Man (I like it, but I'm starting to get bored with how it drags on and on)
-Tari Tari (cute...)
-UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie (big disappointment)

I've recently finished...
-Tiger & Bunny (loved this series)
-Heat Guy J (loved this one, too)
-Hakuoki (was rather bored with it)
-Fractale (it was pretty good, but not as good as I was hoping)
-Abenobashi Magical Shopping District (and I really didn't like it...)

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 12:05:09 am »
Currently watching...

- Attack on Titan (very excited and consistently thrilled by this one)
- Tears to Tiara (enjoyable, but follows the trend of veering off into cosmic nonsense with the last 5 episodes...kind of busy narrative-wise)
- Servant x Service (hilarious, like a grown-up Azumanga Daioh. Very quirky and fun.)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline teenagekixz

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 12:23:26 am »
my summer animes to watch!
Servant x Service
Danganronpa
Uchouten Kazoku
Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Blood Lad
Watamote
Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
Silver Spoon

i'm going to start and finish Suisei no Gargantia first, seeing as I didn't do that this spring..

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 08:16:29 am »
Finished Tears to Tiara. Very mediocre, painfully cliched ending, but it had great supporting characters just begging to be cosplayed.

Oh, and I'm watching Squid Girl too. Watching it through Netflix. Very cute and goofy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:17:54 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 08:58:12 am »
^ I didn't even know that they had Squid Girl... I'm gonna have to look into that.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:55 am »
Yup, it's available through Netflix Instant. Very nice for something that's only like 12 episodes long or so.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Hedronox

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 06:26:41 am »
my summer animes to watch!
Servant x Service
Danganronpa
Uchouten Kazoku
Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Blood Lad
Watamote
Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
Silver Spoon

i'm going to start and finish Suisei no Gargantia first, seeing as I didn't do that this spring..

Tis a good list to watch this season. :)
Ekusukaribaaaaaaaaa!!!