Author Topic: Ending Convention Harassment  (Read 2268 times)

Offline MagicalGirlMan

• Oni
Ending Convention Harassment
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:12:18 am »
[/size]http://www.16bitsirens.com/consentnext/[/color][/size] + [/color][/size]http://blip.tv/anime-zone/az-rant-fanservice-and-ecchi-6557621[/color][/size]I have to agree with the Authors that the latter has gone too far and that the former has to stop now. I have ideas for what to do about the former, and I am in contact with the Author of the article too. Does anyone else who goes to conventions want to get in on this?
My Ideas:

A Convention Rover's Network (and Content Moderator's Network):
To exchange ideas and tips for stopping and dealing with this

To coordinate group rover cos-plays because I have a feeling that the Avengers telling someone to cut that out might be more effective than some random guy, but perhaps I am wrong

The group rover cos-play idea translates to group Content Moderator RPing

A network of people dedicated to exposing and outing people who do things like stalk, take stalker photos, grope, womanize, make rape jokes, slut shame, race shame, bully LGBTQ and so on via:

Exposing them to the people they are stalking in some fashion

Asking them "May I take your picture?", if get a "yes", take it, post their picture and a description of what they did on a group Facebook Page, Twitter Hashtag, tumblr, and so on.

Handing out red cards to people caught doing these fowl things

Thoughts? Message me.
[/color]

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: Ending Convention Harassment
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:37:11 pm »
Since this is by a new poster and the formatting isn't even correct, this looks like it is something rapidly cross-posted to many different forums, so I'd like to steer the discussion back to Kumoricon specifically.

Rather than create a "rover's network", a better idea is to be in close contact with our staff and report any instance of these which you see at the con.

stalk, take stalker photos, grope, womanize, make rape jokes, slut shame, race shame, bully LGBTQ

All of these things are against our policies, and one (grope) is a criminal action for which we will call in law enforcement for any attendee whom we catch doing this.

Our policies include prohibitions on:

Offensive or rude behavior toward anyone
Someone doing or saying things with the willful intent to harm another person
Heckling

and includes

Please respect the wishes of anybody who asks not to be photographed or video-recorded.

Deliberate violation of the photography rule above would also constitute "offensive or rude behavior", violating two of our policies, and treated more severely than an accidental misunderstanding about photography.

Our staff don't want to see any of these problems happening. Attendees knowing they can go to our staff for help, and working with them, is I feel a much more effective means to combat objectionable behavior than creating a third-party "rover" and "moderator" system.

As a convention, we can't get involved in any public shaming system, or allow links to such on our forum or Facebook group. This could open the individuals or organizations involved to massive libel liability exposure.

Instead, bring problems to our attention, and we can work to deal with them either on our own online systems or at the convention. None of our staff want these problems to happen and we want the convention to feel like a safe place.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:10:09 pm »
They posted this in the Sakuracon forum too.

How can you say the harrassment has to stop, then talk about harrassing the harrasser? That's not being any better. If you want to stop harrassment, then get them in trouble for it, not post slampages. Staff and security are there for a reason. Go to one of them. I'm sure more then enough people have told staff about someone like that. Your idea of a group is just that, an idea..Your "group" to start already exists..It's called security..Sorry, but even though people do need to stop, this isn;t going to stop them.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:57:36 pm »
In fact, I've always seen the convention's staff, like the yojimbo, as the "moderator" of any issue you come across.

If the person is following or stalking you, direct your body to the nearest staff member and let them know what is happening and describe and point the person out as best as possible. From that point onwards, I imagine they will be more readily available to help you specifically. Even if they look busy and you don't want to bother them, it is a safety precaution to let the staff know that something like this is happening at their event, and they usually want to be made aware of it.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)