Author Topic: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2013 [APPROVED]  (Read 4897 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2013 [APPROVED]
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:36 pm »
Hello, all!  :D The panel form for the FFBS '13 has officially been APPROVED - and this is the ten-year anniversary of the panel!

We're going to be located in Live 3b in the Red Lion Hotel, on Saturday night, from 10 pm until midnight! And we WILL have internet access!

Can you believe we started this thing all the way back in 2004? And more importantly, what are you planning to bring and perform...and do you have any awesome ideas for things we could do to celebrate this auspicious occasion? (Bear in mind we're generally not supposed to serve food in the panel rooms, alas.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:33:04 pm by FilkAeris »

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2013 [SUBMITTED]
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:21:38 am »
I would like to come to this.  I know that Ellen will pester me if I don't.  ;D  (Love ya, Ellen!)  I haven't been "working" on anything, though, just thinking.

One of my plans is to write a Street Fighter II story that modifies the snot out of the franchise.  (Heck, if movies can do it, why not I?)  How I'm thinking about doing it is having chapters for each character prior to the tournament, explaining why things will be different.  Perhaps I'll work on the Ryu/Ken/Akuma chapter, or perhaps the Zangief/Honda one... (some of the chapters will have multiple characters in them, obviously).

Another one is a Haruhi Suzumiya one that ties in a bunch of other series that are (mainly) from the '90s.  I've worked on it before, and even had some help from fellow forum members.  Unfortunately, the computer I had crashed and lost everything I had on it.  (Thank goodness for large external hard drives, am I right?)

We'll have to wait and see...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Re: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2013 [APPROVED]
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »
Bumping this thread back up, now that we're APPROVED! Time and location have been added to the original post.

Sadly, though, it doesn't look like Ellen is going to be able to co-host this year.  :( An old friend of mine has offered to step up and fill the spot, but it won't be the same without her. Hopefully she'll at least be able to come in and read with us for a little while!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »
That's all right, send all my best wishes to Ellen and I can bring ten pages from the latest chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh GM if it's okay? :) Also I'd like to come to represent the group I'm a part of on Facebook, The Crazy Author's Society.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:57:22 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
Sure!  :) We've only got a two-hour slot this year (10pm - midnight), so we're setting the reading slots at five minutes. As always, you can add your name to the list again as soon as you've read!

Offline Spifferiffic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:31:55 am »
FFBS is always one of my favorite parts of the con, so I will definitely be there!

As far as what to read, I'll have to think about it, but I have quite a few fairly short pieces that ought to fit into a 5 minute block fairly well.

The vast majority of what I've written recently is in the Supernatural fandom because it ate my brain, but I still have some One Piece I haven't shared yet, too.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »
Thank you to everybody who came out and made the Fanfiction Bedtime Stories one of my best experiences at the con this year! I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did (despite the noise from next door). We're definitely hoping to bring back the One Word Stories and Fanfiction Casserole next year, since breaking up the reading sessions with a couple of games was huge fun and brought some great energy to the panel.

Speaking of which, Kari and I did manage to reconstruct the Casserole back in our hotel room that night, while the notes were all still in order. For your reading pleasure, here are both One Word Stories and the Casserole in full:

ONE WORD STORIES

Today in a room, marshmallows were quietly cooking in a Snorlax's microwave. Meanwhile, Team Rocket stole a jar and a Piplup, while Ash thought he could dance. Suddenly, a wild Beedrill stung a trainer's cat. Then, James and Jessie started pulling their ridiculous uniforms apart. Misty attempted to ride her Staryu to the grocerystore, and by noon, reached another store. Ash was tugging trees while Brock Gangnam-Style'd at Nurse Joy. So, Ash and Misty cried. THE END.

Explosively, Hercules stole cabbage from Princess Aladdin. She thought that she was flying, while riding a orangutan. Meanwhile, Hades pranked Zeus, and had a disastrous time. Merida thought she wanted something to fight, but she found a cabbage that smelled beautiful. It really glowed in moonlight. Meanwhile, back under Olympus, Meg kicked Cerberus in the faces. "OW!" he thought angrily that he could run on water. Suddenly, Donald quacked unintelligibly, "COOKIES TASTE LIKE BANABBAGES!" However, Donald thought they tasted bad. Simba roared atrociously, "BAD WOLF!" Mufasa skipped through the tulips gracefully, and decided to set the gazelles free on food stamps. THE END.

FANFICTION CASSEROLE

(Selections drawn randomly from the fanfic fragments provided by attendees are [marked in brackets].)

[It was a dark and stormy night] at the festival, and [Zelda] and [Kanaya] couldn't wait to enjoy all the games and food there was to offer.

["You're not gonna ralph again, are you?"] said Zelda. ["There were ginger snaps?"]

Kanaya disagreed, and felt they should go enter the hot dog eating contest instead. Zelda thought this was a wonderful idea, and [followed the light into the forest]. They quickly found the table where the contest was being held, [hanging half out of his mouth like a smoking gun.]

There were many contestants, and the competition was quite stiff, but in the end, Zelda emerged victorious, having consumed 47 hot dogs. First prize was the opportunity to [swallow loudly].

After the contest, Zelda and Kanaya decided to go roller skating in the park. ["Have we created life?"] Kanaya said brightly as they put their skates on.

Zelda wasn't too sure of that, and replied, ["No, no, please don't kiss me."] She was still feeling a bit ill after eating all those hot dogs, but didn't want to ruin Kanaya's fun.

After a few trips around the rink, however, [Sam slumped in his chair]. That was all the roller skating Zelda could handle for one day. She still wasn't feeling too well, and so Kanaya agreed maybe it was best to go home.

They headed for the bus stop, where they unexpectedly ran into their longtime arch nemesis, [Steve Urkel]. As they boarded the bus, [brushing the hem of her panties], [the sound of a flushing toilet broke the silence].

["Jumping him with a handful of potions on a dark night,"] said Steve Urkel, deliberately sitting directly across the aisle from Zelda and Kanaya. They did their best to ignore him, but he continued to be confrontational.

["I don't know if we've created life, but we have created a fruity beverage,"] he concluded, and Kanaya [moved around as though hoping not to be noticed], having had more than enough of this behavior.

Drawing a sword from Hammerspace, Kanaya challenged Steve Urkel to a duel, right there on the bus. Steve Urkel accepted the challenge, and they engaged in mortal combat on the transit line. After he [dumped the entire potion down her pants], and [a man with no face was watching him], Steve Urkel fell to his knees, utterly defeated. ["You lovely ladies deserve nothing less,"] he said, shaking his head and surrendering his weapon.

["Darn straight,"] Kanaya replied, and decided to [set the gazelles free on food stamps.] When they arrived at their stop, Zelda and Kanaya exited the bus, leaving a defeated Steve Urkel to think about what he had done. They knew he would think twice before starting anything with them next time they met.

["Order Thai for dinner,"] said Zelda, as they entered their home and took off their shoes. ["You lunatic!] Today was a good day."

"We will definitely come back to the festival tomorrow," Kanaya replied.

["Aww, fine."]

[And they woke up, and it was all a dream.

Or was it...?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:01 am »
I would've liked going, but alas, my schedule didn't permit it.  :'(  Hopefully next year, though.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 01:33:43 pm »
I'm happy that I went. it was a fun experience. It's given me some great ideas to use at my own Bedtuime stories like program at Sakuracon next year. And I'm looking forward to next year. I'll bring some more of Yu-Gi-Oh GM next year. Hopefully next year the chapter I bring will be more action-packed. I hope to see evryyone there next year.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:31:53 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »
Thank you all for thinking of me! As you all know, I love this event (and I continue a version of it at OryCon, by the way!).
How did One Word Stories work? How did Fanfic Casserole work? Is it like how we used to run Anime MadLibs at Creation Station?

I do regret that the timing of this event was such that there was no way I could make it....A few personal reasons (PM me if you'd like details)....

Here's hoping to see you all next year!

Many blessings to everyone who participated, and especially to FilkAeris! I really missed not being able to be at your filk panels, btw!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
^ WE LOVE YOU!!!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:54 pm »
^^ x2
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:13 pm »
We missed you, Ellen! <333 The panels really aren't the same without you... I hope you'll be able to come next year.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 11:17:20 am »
I too missed you Ellen. But I'm looking forward to seeing you at Orycon. And I hope you'll be part of Bedtime Stories next year.