Author Topic: cool places around portland?  (Read 5267 times)

Offline rygoody

• Cabbit
cool places around portland?
« on: October 02, 2005, 12:52:23 am »
Too many nights have been spent sitting at a friends house doing nothing... so what are some of your favorites places around portland to just hang out at when your bored with friends?

I live up by beaverton, a couple places around here are Tony's hookah bar. It's just a little place off hall past 99w, but it's has a nice atmosphere, the guy that works there is real cool, the pizza is really good and of course you get to rent hookahs there. Good place to hangout for a few hours while smoking hookah.

Then another place is blue sky cafe, which is really close to Uwajimaya, it has a nice big open space inside with chairs and sofas all over just to lay around on and they sell bobba tea and their open till 12 so it's good for latenight.

Then of course 24hr starbucks and backspace.. but I'm sure everyone knows those... So share away. Me and my friends need some new places to go.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 03:08:32 pm »
Rumours Karaoke Parlour.
It's a no alcohol joint that opens at 6 pm and is open until 1am most nights. They have private rooms you rent by the hour and their song list is diverse despite the bad english lyrics. They are located A block off of Farmington, near the downtown Beaverton Dairy Queen.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 05:52:00 pm »
This weekend at the Hollywood theater is the H.P. Lovecraft film festival. They are going to be airing a new black and white short film adapting Call of Cthulhu, among others. It has nothing to do with anime, but it's still a cool event around Portland.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:38:03 pm »
Powell's! It'll suck your life and wallet away, but it'll be worth every paper-clad moment!

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
Hey kids, what rhymes with blameless shelf comotion?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 11:40:54 pm »
Get yourself down to the Fox Tower and watch Thumbsucker.  It is the greatest movie ever made.

Also, I would suggest the

-24 hour Starbucks in Beaverton.

-Late night Bowling, there are a couple of places

-The Escape.  All age LGBT + friends nightclub.  Very fun. Very gay. <3

-Voodoo donuts.  Open late, and you can get a bucket of day-old donuts for five dolla.  That's right. A BUCKET of donuts.  And once you have a bucket of donuts, the night sorta falls into place.

High school plays are cheap and fun, there should be posters for everything in the tri-county area somewhere near your school's drama room.

Happy hunting's!
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 04:36:57 pm »
I always get the name wrong.  It's one way or the other but the words are correct:

"Music Millenium."  Tons of CDs to buy and places to listen to said CDs.  You can also find a few hard-to-find CDs over there.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 08:01:40 pm »
Music Millenium is right, unless the spelling is off. I prefer Everyday Music myself, especially the downtown store on 13th and Burnside.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 02:38:49 am »
never been to music millenium... but I gotta say i do love everyday music. The only place I've been that actually has a sizable and sanctioned off 'electronica' section.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 07:13:26 am »
Sweet. That's exactly why I enjoy EM.

For everyone's information, Music Millennium (correct spelling) has two locations in Portland. on the corner of E Burnside and 33rd Ave, and on NW 23rd Ave and... Glisan or something.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Phylicia

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 07:03:23 pm »
You could go to a Wunderland nickel arcade - there's three in Portland (go to wunderlandgames.com). They have DDR and other Konami music games (aka Bemani) such as Guitar Freaks and DanceManiaX. I went there to get my DDR on and got really good at Heavy. :3 (I competed in the DDR tourney at the con.... lool, I was the girl who got the farthest, and then there were guys left...)

Bubble Bubble Tea has two locations and they serve a wide variety of boba and good snacks :O~ They're awesomee!!

I go to Lloyd Center Tilt a lot just because my DDR friends hang out there now, there's In The Groove 2 and like, lots of fighting games, and Initial D... the three things that probably make that place worthwhile.

Century 16 theatre on 82nd and Holgate is awesome... (my favorite chain theatre in town!) they have a DDRMax2 machine (a rarity for the portland area), and it's on Joint Premium so you can play double or versus for the price of single ^__^ <3

Hawthorne has some awesome shopping. Around 42nd avenue, there's a place called Trendy City that has bubble tea and lots of cool asian things (Hello Kitty, Sanrio, Totoro, etc.)  they sell :O

While there is Backspace, don't forget about Ground Kontrol right aruond the corner... retro arcade games!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 08:13:04 pm »
Where are the Bubble Bubble Tea locations?
2008 Facilities Liaison