Author Topic: (Approved!) What the heck is Super Sentai??  (Read 4971 times)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
(Approved!) What the heck is Super Sentai??
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:10:07 am »
Saving Japan from your TV set since 1975, Super Sentai is a long-running series of TV shows about teams of colorful superheroes and their giant robots fighting evil. Sound familiar? That’s because starting in 1992, Saban began bringing the shows over to the states under the re-branding of ‘Power Rangers’- a name I’m sure you’re familiar with!

Want to know more about the origins of the explosion-filled, color-coded TV show you probably watched as a child? We’ve got you covered! Since this is your quintessential 101 panel, we’ll start with Himitsu Sentai Goranger in 1975 and work our way to Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger in 2013, explaining along the way- don’t worry, though, it’s easy to pick up! Heck, since it's a kid's show there's even a catchy song to remember all their names in order!

Very little Power Rangers will be talked about in this panel as it's an informational panel on Super Sentai- though it will be mentioned in passing a few times do not expect to be regaled with tales of Tommy Oliver's heroism.

I hope to see plenty of people there! If anyone wants I can bring my external hard drive and give out copies of first episodes to people that want them (unless this isn't allowed, I'm not sure)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:41:21 am by LtCommanderRichie »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: (Submitted) What the heck is Super Sentai??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:09:06 am »
That’s because starting in 1992, Saban began bringing the shows over to the states under the re-branding of ‘Power Rangers’- a name I’m sure you’re familiar with!

Never heard of 'em.  ;D

This could be a great panel!  Personally (if I can make it) I'd hope to hear about how it started, how the various series are tied together, and where it's at now.  I'll have to let Chan know about this, too.  She's looking to possibly have a friend come up from California, and they are both really into Kamen Rider (sp?).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:22:35 am »
If the panel gets approved I'll be sure to include all that, but (assuming they're all approved) I'll be running two panels and speaking on four others this year so I don't have time to run a panel on Kamen Rider (though I really, really want to!)

Maybe next year I'll see about running a Rider panel, but this year I'm just too busy.

Offline Paru

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:26:41 pm »
COOL another Toku Panel! I ran something like this like two years ago if you need help just ask i have almost a TB of sentai episodes. I'm running a 3 hour video panel(hopefully) which includes Kamen Rider, Gavan and a few of the "sibblings" well sub genre of Tokusatsu(which you shold know Sentai is part of). check mine out if you can. I'm busy running table top games alot but I'll try to make yours.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:43:22 pm by Paru »
2009 Table Top staff
2010 Table Top staff
2011 RPG Staff
2012 Table Top Staff
2013 Table Top - MIA
2014 to 2017 Table Top Staff
The Munchkin guy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »
I'll be just fine, but thanks for the offer! I'll see about getting to your panel as well if it gets approved.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:40:25 am »
Personally, I've always wondered if Super Sentai inspired or influenced the other robot-battle anime, like the Gundam series. That'd kind of be an interesting tidbit of history to know if they're somehow connected.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

• Bunnygirl
Re: (Approved!) What the heck is Super Sentai??
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:42:32 am »
Hey guys! The panel got approved, so as soon as the preliminary schedule with the first round of changes is sent out I'll update the first post with a time and date!

Offline Corin

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:14:46 am »
Do you have any idea yet on what will be featured in the panel other than "starting with Go and ending with Kyoryu"? Will any episodes/movies be shown?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:12:34 pm by Corin »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:13 pm »
Nope, not showing any episodes. There will be a viewing panel Monday morning of con, though, and will most likely feature Kamen Rider Fourze, Space Sheriff Gavan and Kamen Rider Super-1.

Think of this panel as a longer, much more informative version of the Super Sentai Hero Getter song from Gokaiger- an informative panel to introduce people to the genre and possibly get them interested in watching more. I'll be giving out first episodes (Shinkenger, Magiranger, Dairanger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters and Kyoryuger) at the end if you'd like to bring a USB stick.

Offline Corin

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 06:08:25 pm »
Think of this panel as a longer, much more informative version of the Super Sentai Hero Getter song from Gokaiger- an informative panel to introduce people to the genre and possibly get them interested in watching more. I'll be giving out first episodes (Shinkenger, Magiranger, Dairanger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters and Kyoryuger) at the end if you'd like to bring a USB stick.

I knew about the other panel already. Though, I am curious if you're giving out RAW episodes, if they're TVN or from non-TVN (O-T, H-S) groups. Though, I know no one else has done the first episode of Magi, besides Shinken-Anon and that's just a scrub, so...

Edit: On second thought, Dairanger's the only '90s Sentai that TVN's done and if the episodes you're giving out are a reflection of your taste, liking mostly modern things would indicate that you're a TVN fan. Apologies if this is an incorrect assumption. Would it be wrong to assume you know less about Showa Sentai?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:35:32 pm by Corin »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »
Woah man don't you go insulting me like that, I only go to TV-N if I have no other choice. I watched H-S's Dairanger and O-T's Gokai, Go-Bus and Kyoryu.

I'm actually planning on eventually trying my hand at subbing Magi myself with Bunny Hat's RAWs, though I imagine that won't be for a while yet.

No but seriously though, wow that was really rude of you. Please take your Showa vs. Heisei hate back to /m/.

Offline Corin

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »
Apologies, I was trying not to be insulting. I just thought I may have been asking something I knew the answer to. I wasn't trying to seem like I preferred one subbing circle to the other, either, but I guess I made it a bit obvious. ^_^

Also, I'm genuinely curious if you tend more towards Heisei or not.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:30 pm »
It's less my preferring Heisei to Showa and more my having time to watch things beyond weeklies. I've actually been meaning to finish KR Amazon and start a few older shows beyond Dairanger, but it's very much an issue of time.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:21 pm »
Do you have any idea yet on what will be featured in the panel other than "starting with Go and ending with Kyoryu"? Will any episodes/movies be shown?

You could always go to the panel and find out?

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:04:49 pm »
Thanks for coming, guys! It went really well for my first panel, and I'll be sure to ask for more time next year so I don't run fifteen minutes late like I did this year.