Author Topic: Cosplay help?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Kitten Face

• Sailor Scout
    • Wishing Star Cosplay
Cosplay help?
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:14 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the area I'd be posting this?[/size]So I apologize if it isn't...I am going to be cosplaying Claire Redfield in her attire of the remake of her RE2 outfit in Darkside Chronicles, and she wears a jean vest I figured with the image I would just use Iron-On's but, I cannot find a red denim vest ANYWHERE so I was wondering if it would be possible to dye a normal denim vest? and if so what should I use? I'd love ANY advice or tips, especially if anybody has made this same piece or if you know anywhere to buy this vest. Thanks!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Cosplay help?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:19:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure demin can be dyed normally. Use liquid dye in a tub and let it sit for a while (obviously mixing it around a bit every once in a while, maybe every hour, and leave it in for a good half a day for a deep nice red that's void of pink hues.

You can get white ones in places like motorcycle/biker clothing shops. Or try places in the mall like macy's and the sort. Though those places will be REALLY hard. More because it's becoming summer, so heavy coats are leaving the shelves, which is why I say biker clothes shops, because they have that stuff year round, but it costs a lot more..You can try different thrift shops too.  As for Iron on stuff or whatever, I don't exactly know what it looks like so I can't help there, but if it has like the Umbrella Corp. logo and such, then you can get iron on ones at hot topic for pretty cheap

Offline ironavenger

• Sailor Scout
    • Assembled Impersonations
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:41:57 am »
You absolutely can dye denim. The fabric by nature is cotton and cotton will take any color you choose to put on it. Like Sailor-Jeimi said hit up local thrift stores for denim vests or even jackets as you can take the sleeves off.

First strip away as much color as you can by using a color remover, Rit makes one that works great. It will give you a nice clean area to dye.

For dying I recommend Rit Dye , it comes in a few different shades of red. For hers I'd use the Scarlet Dye as it is the closest to the actual color as hers.

Get 2 packs of Scarlet for even color. Use a half cup of vinegar and a 1 cup salt to get the dye to really sink in.

All in all it takes about 3-5 hrs to dye denim to the purest form of the color you want.

You can make what patches you need by buying the Iron on t-shirt transfers for dark shirts (this way you get the colors you want). Just find the image you want reverse it and print.

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
I like goats.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:41 am »
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080511162509AA4Ko53

I found this, it may help you.
My idea would be to bleach the denim maybe once, then get a dark red dye to go over it.

Offline Kitten Face

• Sailor Scout
    • Wishing Star Cosplay
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:34:10 am »
Thank you everyone!
I will check all this out, thank you for the advice and tips :3