Author Topic: Anime Expo 2013?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
Anime Expo 2013?
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:18:28 am »
Anyone actually heading to Anime Expo this year?

I am, since this is my first time there.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
Re: Anime Expo 2013?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:42:38 pm »
Has anyone on this forum actually been there yet? Just to get a heads up.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:53:19 am »
I've gone, though it was a good six years ago. Even then, the sheer size of the con would defy description.

Bring sunscreen - I wound up with some pretty epic sunburns from waiting in line outside. But the experience was still well worth it, sunburns and all. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:21:16 am »
my hubby and I looked around once, before going to a hyde concert that was near by.
Its huge.  Think of this tho you know how snacks drinks and such (little tylenol packets disposible cameras etc) are spendy at a convention center and or down town in general? well in LA the base price is more expensive in general (by base I mean the prices you would see in a grocery store) so they will be even more expensive so I would def suggest planning ahead
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:23:39 am »
I've been wanting to go since 2005.  The anime club at Clark College went that year, but I was unable to join them, on account of my job.  Nowadays, I could pay for it myself, but there are two other Summertime cons that are high on my list, too.  Chances are that 2014 will be the soonest I can go, but only if the club plans to go there next year (I'd be going as an adviser, not a member).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:52:44 pm »
my hubby and I looked around once, before going to a hyde concert that was near by.
Its huge.  Think of this tho you know how snacks drinks and such (little tylenol packets disposible cameras etc) are spendy at a convention center and or down town in general? well in LA the base price is more expensive in general (by base I mean the prices you would see in a grocery store) so they will be even more expensive so I would def suggest planning ahead

Kay............and some examples of REALLY HIGH priced stuff would be? Is there a bigger tax increase there or something?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:12 am »
I don't think that she's referring to sales tax.  However, your inquiry made me curious...

Here's what I've found!

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Sales_and_use_taxes_in_California

According to this, Los Angeles has a sales tax of 9%, so just a little higher than most areas of Washington, including Clark County.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:25:11 am »
the link didn't make sense to me at least.

But, basically most of the survival skills for anime cons still apply...........................................right? Any exceptions?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:20:29 am »
To put it simply, the entire state of California (like with Washington) has a minimum sales tax.  That number gets bigger in different areas because they'll have different and/or more needs than other places.  Counties can add to the taxes, as well as cities.

i.e.  In Vancouver, the sales tax is 8.4%, whereas in Seattle it's 9.5%.  Seattle has more needs to be met than Vancouver, much of which includes road work, police, firemen, city councils, etc.

Get it now?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 09:17:52 am »
And its a tourist area, ever see the drink machine near a line at Disneyland?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »
Food and drinks... And the sheer size of it can be daunting. I went in 2007 and wow was it huge.. The whole group I went with were glad we booked another day at the hotel after the con just so we could sleep after the 5 day ordeal (cause we went on day 0). Lines eat up a lot of time, and some things were ticketed.

I'd say carry a few water bottles in a backpack and some granola bars and what not, and maybe an umbrella for mobile shade. When I was there, especially on the last day, several people got heat stroke and EMT's had to be called in.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »
^ Wow, small world... Did you go to the SKIN concert*, by any chance? And you're right about the heat strokes, I'd forgotten about that.

(* - That was actually how I got the worst of the epic sunburn - the line for that one took us a few hours. Heck of a concert, though. (^_^))
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:07:48 pm »
With the guest updates I keep seeing for this year's Anime Expo at least(some lead singer of a band called Schwarz Stein is coming), I keep wanting to go more!!!!

Only problem is that thanks to some scheduling conflict with my step-mom's boss with something about having vacation time, I won't be able to frikkkkkinnnnnnggg go on the July 4th weekend!  >:(

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 12:38:22 am »
@random : I didn't go to any concerts cause we didn't have time. I went to the Death Note movie, the Transformers movie and the skit contest. I actually got the worst of my sunburns on Day 0 waiting in line for the badges, but thankfully it was early morning so it was ok. The only other burn that I got that was bad was from Day 1's Exhibitor's Hall line. The other days we brought an umbrella for the girl with us who was being sunburnt badly, and we traded it off. Thankfully, I tan. It takes a lot for me to burn. The bridge of my nose got burnt, and the top of my cheeks, but the rest of me just tanned.

I really wanna go back to AX sometime~ If just for the experience of getting trapped in the Dealer's Room (they kept telling us one door was an exit, that wasn't). I'll definately pack an umbrella though because that convention truly needs it.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 01:20:11 am »
frikkkkkinnnnnnggg go on the July 4th weekend!  >:(

That's actually another reason I haven't gone before.  Cons that take place during major holidays are somewhat inconvenient.  I don't see why they couldn't have it during the last weekend of June, or something...

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »
I'm there! :D

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.