8 (30.8%)
Original
3 (11.5%)
50% Fanart/50% Original
11 (42.3%)
75% Fanart/25% Original
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Fanart vs. Original Work?  (Read 5536 times)

Offline chocuu

• Oni
Fanart vs. Original Work?
« on: May 05, 2013, 12:33:38 am »
Hey so I'm trying my best to get a spot in the artist alley this year! q u q

My first and only con I've gotten a table at was Newcon PDX, which was quite small, so I'm still very inexperienced. ;;

But I was really curious on personal opinions of other artists/customers if they prefer it when artists sell like 100% fanart or a bit of original work as well? (I mean on prints, commissions would be open to original characters too <3)  Does it depend on what kind of print it is as well? (Like, would original art be only better for large/small prints? I'd suspect that original characters as like keychains wouldn't be very popular though...)
Because on my personal opinion I like original works more just because I feel like it's much more tied to the artist themselves instead of the character they're drawing. But that might just because I don't really read/watch the mainstream stuff. XD

However, I've been told by a few that you can only really sell original art if you're some well known popular artist, and otherwise you should just sell fanart.

So um yeah I'd love to hear your personal opinions. <33
If it really depends on art style or something, this is my dA. ////

(Another question, is a copyright required on original and/or fanart prints? Like if you don't put one on, can people legally rip off your stuff if they buy it? XD If so, how do you put on copyright? Do you just write (c) and your name on the print?)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:36:30 am by chocuu »

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
Re: Fanart vs. Original Work?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:10:47 am »
I honestly prefer fanart, but I'm almost mainly here to answer your question about copyrighting.

It would be a good idea to protect your art, especially with your original art. Fanart is always a good idea as well. Most artists sign their art with the (c) in an indiscreet part of their art. It doesn't have to be that noticeable, either.

-Krys
2012-14- Assistant Artist Alley Coordinator
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:57:13 pm »
I agree, esp while new, fan art, when I shop around artist ally I look for fan art things  also practical our something with a use like earrings a book mark,a key chain and such, good luck
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline chocuu

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:58:03 pm »
Okay thank you for the pointers! * 7 *

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:48 pm »
Fan art for sure. I mean I have seen some really amazing OC stuff, but I buy things because I like the character or series..OC's are not something I will have seen, meaning I may or may not like it, but I won't know, so I don't wanna buy them..I mean I have bought some OC stuff that has some other element though..Like me and my dad bought OC stuff that were made for Zodiac signs. So..Yea

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:30:39 am »
I think at an event like this, people are often looking for fan-art of their favorite characters and animes, but I personally like a mix. Last year I came back home with half fan-art, half original art, and I'd be looking to do the same this year. If I find the art attractive and I like the character or setting portrayed, even if it isn't from something I know, I'd be interested.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline Shiba21

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 03:08:35 pm »
From my experiences it really depends on the person who's looking to buy art. :3

They can be roughly divided into two categories -- the casual buyers and the hardcore art appreciators.
The first type consists of the majority of us, and they are more inclined to buy fanart from series that appeals to them. And of course, if you're popular and they're a fan of you as an artist, then they will want to buy your original work just as much.
The second type is a tad rarer, but you will always see some of them at any convention. They are the ones who spend most of their time in the AA, and will usually buy art based on how much they love the style of the picture, and not so much the subject. So if they like your art, they will buy it, even if it's original.

So I would recommend having around 75% of your work being fanart, especially if it's your first time. A healthy 50/50 split also isn't bad. Just my two cents though. I'm sure there are others who would disagree with me.
Visit my DeviantART! http://qiisnii.deviantart.com

2013 cosplay plans:

- Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai!) 95%
- Anzu Futaba (iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls) 25%

Offline chocuu

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:49:31 pm »
Okay thank you so much for your input! <3

(pfft just realized it was you zhong XDD)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:35:21 pm by chocuu »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 02:25:31 pm »
Personally, I think that the poll should've included "75% Original/25% Fanart" since that's closer to mine.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 03:58:21 pm »
maybe if we share AA ally stuff we have bought and that can give you idea
lets see last year specifically I bought

2 buttons fan art ish
1 pair of ba-bome earrings
2 batman fan art laminated key chains (nothing fancy had those little dog tag chains)
Oh and a story book for my son, "onoraptor makes a friend" -original work

so out of 6 items 5 were fan art ish (tho the earring booth had other non fan art like cake slices and candy that I would consider buyin)
Another note if you get into earring or something like that keep weight in mind, some of that stuff gets heavy and unpleasant  feel on the ear, and had stopped me from buying before.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline chocuu

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:49:11 pm »
thank you for all of your feedback, i'll definitely get done a few original works then * 7 *)/ well, if i make it that is (q u q)

Offline Alarnia

• Oni
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »
Although I myself produce my own original content, it's very rare that I show interest when a person is trying to sell their original art/comic/etc, and only then if I find the artwork to be very nice.

I know it's kind of a sad thing but I'm just trying to be honest. First of all, half of getting an item to sell is recognizability. It needs to catch the buyers attention amongst all of your other wares, and half of the reason I feel people buy merchandise is because the item reminds them of something they already like, IE there are positive memories associated with the item. So unless you have a fairly large fanbase for your original work already(online, for example), and you know that they'll be coming to the convention it probably is a better market strategy to sell fanart instead :(

But I'm going to guess that there will always be exceptions to this, so by all means if you feel confidant, try and sell some original stuff! Just... be prepared for stuff to not sell :(
2014 cosplay:
Snake (Kuroshitsuji) 0%