Author Topic: I miss Kumoricon  (Read 8392 times)

Offline Yatterman

• Sailor Scout
I miss Kumoricon
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:49 am »
Ever since Kumoricon move to Vancouver I miss it in 2011 and 2012. I hope I go this year and hoping it comes back to Oregon next year.
Yatterman-2010
Squall Leonheart-2013

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
Re: I miss Kumoricon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:36 am »
Still in Vancouver, though it isn't that far from the previous locations.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:43 pm »
It's 5 minutes from Portland. These complaints are ridiculous.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:00:03 pm »
I miss it right now! I miss every one of y'all! :(

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »
^ Same here, my friend!

Ever since Kumoricon move to Vancouver I miss it in 2011 and 2012. I hope I go this year and hoping it comes back to Oregon next year.

Not to sound mean, but don't you live in Marion County somewhere?  (I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that once before...).  Isn't the minuscule distance between Portland and Vancouver irrelevant from your location?

Personally, even though I love having it in Vancouver, I hope the con will be in Oregon again in 2014.  Adventuring the local scene is part of the fun of a con, in my opinion; it's kind of a drag when you know the area better than virtually anyone else at the con...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:05 pm »
Miss con but am glad its not here that as I am SO not ready for it yet

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:27:49 pm »

It's not five minutes if you don't have a car.

Still not totally impossible to get to, although when I was running adult panels at kcon they would run late into the night, long after the last bus had left. When kumoricon was in downtown portland, even if I was there past public-transit-safe-time, I could count on getting a ride from somebody or hell, walking wasn't that unreasonable (a little brutal, but not as brutal as walking home from Vancouver).

Now I pretty much have to stay at the hotel, which as you probably know can be expensive.

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:29:11 pm »

It's not five minutes if you don't have a car.

Still not totally impossible to get to, although when I was running adult panels at kcon they would run late into the night, long after the last bus had left. When kumoricon was in downtown portland, even if I was there past public-transit-safe-time, I could count on getting a ride from somebody or hell, walking wasn't that unreasonable (a little brutal, but not as brutal as walking home from Vancouver).

Now I pretty much have to stay at the hotel, which as you probably know can be expensive.

Even if you do have a car, it's definitely not five minutes unless you A) live close to Vancouver already and B) leave before or after traffic gets bad. My boyfriend's parents live closer to Vancouver than they do to our house, and even from there it's a fifteen minute drive - before traffic. From inner Southeast Portland, leaving at 3PM, it took close to an hour to get up there, and nearly two to get back during rush hour on Friday. The commute adds both time and money to Kumoricon visits - like you say, if you're from Portland, you have to stay at a hotel or make that drive twice a day.

I understand that Portland isn't feasible for Kumoricon for more than a few reasons, but that doesn't mean that people's complaints aren't legitimate.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:13 am »
Okay, my hyperbole for the sake of demonstrating silliness went over everyone's head. Duly noted.

I of course meant to comparatively show that, as opposed to Seattle or San Diego, Vancouver is nothing to complain about. The commute is hardly reason for not attending.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:11:10 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:24 am »
As much I wish sometimes that Kumoricon would stay in its original home state as opposed to Washington, I'm glad that it's at such a nice location with lots of space.
The con back in 2010 was a NIGHTMARE in Portland. The hotel was so crowded with people that the fire department complained that it was a fire hazard if there was ever an emergency, then they started kicking people out. There were huge waiting lines just to get inside. Also, anytime someone wanted to use the elevator to get between floors-it was always full. Trust me, it wasn't fun.
Until the organizers can find a better location in Oregon, I'm okay with it being in Vancouver. Besides, it gives us all a change of scenery when we go up to attend it.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:32:28 am »
As much I wish sometimes that Kumoricon would stay in its original home state as opposed to Washington, I'm glad that it's at such a nice location with lots of space.
The con back in 2010 was a NIGHTMARE in Portland. The hotel was so crowded with people that the fire department complained that it was a fire hazard if there was ever an emergency, then they started kicking people out. There were huge waiting lines just to get inside. Also, anytime someone wanted to use the elevator to get between floors-it was always full. Trust me, it wasn't fun.
Until the organizers can find a better location in Oregon, I'm okay with it being in Vancouver. Besides, it gives us all a change of scenery when we go up to attend it.

Absolutely. Oddly enough, the Vancouver Hilton has been my favorite location of all my years attending. It is just the perfect combination of open scenic space and convenience. Yes, I have a car so getting there is not difficult, but even if I didn't I would find a way, because it is by far my favorite place Kumoricon has ever been held.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:42 pm »

Absolutely. Oddly enough, the Vancouver Hilton has been my favorite location of all my years attending. It is just the perfect combination of open scenic space and convenience. Yes, I have a car so getting there is not difficult, but even if I didn't I would find a way, because it is by far my favorite place Kumoricon has ever been held.
Right! I just love the sunshine by the river, it's one of many places to take great pictures. It's especially nice that there's a lot of places to go when things get tight. The con in Portland was so crowded and the car/people traffic was insane. It just doesn't have what Vancouver has to offer when it comes to an event that's supposed to be fun and welcoming.

-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 05:57:37 pm »
Okay, my hyperbole for the sake of demonstrating silliness went over everyone's head. Duly noted.

I of course meant to comparatively show that, as opposed to Seattle or San Diego, Vancouver is nothing to complain about. The commute is hardly reason for not attending.

Nobody said anything about not attending/ragequitting due to location, but it was a lot more convenient for me (and I'm sure for others) when it was in town.

That being said, the area is really nice, especially the park. I know the downtown portland location was crowded, but surely that was a sign that the convention center was maybe the next step...? although the convention center does not have a park. (holladay is only a short walk though)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:41 am »
Honestly, my only whine about it being at it's current location in Vancouver is the lack of food locations to eat at. It has some... Other then that, no real complaints. It's got a nice big open park, and it's near the water, and the two hotels actually aren't too insanely far apart. And for me with driving, it's right near I-5 and other highways, which is convenient.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 09:18:06 am »

Nobody said anything about not attending/ragequitting due to location, but it was a lot more convenient for me (and I'm sure for others) when it was in town.

That being said, the area is really nice, especially the park. I know the downtown portland location was crowded, but surely that was a sign that the convention center was maybe the next step...? although the convention center does not have a park. (holladay is only a short walk though)
The last year the con was held in Portland was at The Hilton hotel. I don't know why they don't have it at the convention center, maybe it was out of their price range or anime conventions were banned there?  :-\
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 09:43:58 am »
As you guys have already said, we seriously outgrew the downtown Portland Hilton - and we're even bigger now, which makes going back there pretty much impossible. But if we keep on growing, it won't be too long before we can take over the convention center and move back to Portland.

To be honest, I'll kinda miss all the room we have outdoors with the Hilton and the Red Lion... but some of my best memories are from Portland, and I'll be glad to see us go back. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 06:25:28 pm »
The last year the con was held in Portland was at The Hilton hotel. I don't know why they don't have it at the convention center, maybe it was out of their price range or anime conventions were banned there?  :-\

Because it's too expensive.  We don't have nearly the funds yet for the space rental and use of electricity.  If we were to try this in '14, we'd most likely have no guests and have our con budget in the negative.  Perhaps in a few years, after we've grown some more.  I know that various board members have aspired to someday make this a reality (even some of our current members), but they keep saying that we don't have the funds.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:37 pm »
I agree with Washougal_Otaku we don't have the funds yet. And well I had a friend from taekwondo who had a booth at the convention Center once. And well, some of the prices there, in my personal opinion, can be described as highway robbery. Still I know someday it'll be in the convention center and THAT will be when Kumoricon will know that it's hit the big time. BTW on the subject of the convention center maybe somebody can clear this up Are there any hotel;s near the convention center? Because well I haven't noticed any...well otherb than the Doubletree but it's a certain distance away.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:29:00 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 10:46:10 am »
I agree with Washougal_Otaku we don't have the funds yet. And well I had a friend from taekwondo who had a booth at the convention Center once. And well, some of the prices there, in my personal opinion, can be described as highway robbery. Still i know someday it'll be in the convention center and THAT will be when Kumoricon will know that it's hit the big time. BTW on the subject of the convention center maybe somebody can clear this up Are there any hotel;s near the convention center? Because well I haven't noticed any...well otherb than the Doubletree but it's a certain distance away.
OH god yes! I have to help my mom out at the OPA showcase and it is about $10 for some decent food.
There is a Red Lion and a few small hotels like Inn at the Convention Center which is right across the street but it looks pretty shabby.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 02:33:13 pm »
...a thought...  and feel free to butcher it if you have some informative insight...

What about the Expo Center?  I haven't been there in over 15 years (heck, probably even more than 20), so I am unsure as to what the sight is like, or if there are hotels and such in the area (and what sort of conditions they're in).  All that I know is that it's currently the Northern end of the MAX Yellow Line.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 08:34:27 pm »
...a thought...  and feel free to butcher it if you have some informative insight...

What about the Expo Center?  I haven't been there in over 15 years (heck, probably even more than 20), so I am unsure as to what the sight is like, or if there are hotels and such in the area (and what sort of conditions they're in).  All that I know is that it's currently the Northern end of the MAX Yellow Line.
I work right next to the expo center and there isn't really any hotels near by. There is a truck stop where you can get a room but that is not really within walking distance. It is right off the max line though. For a convention I don't think it would be an ideal location.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:34:45 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 11:59:22 am »
not just no hotels, there is really nothing out there and it's not good looking at all. It's kinda industrial out there and I think it would kill the mood.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 12:10:46 am »
I agree with Washougal_Otaku we don't have the funds yet. And well I had a friend from taekwondo who had a booth at the convention Center once. And well, some of the prices there, in my personal opinion, can be described as highway robbery. Still i know someday it'll be in the convention center and THAT will be when Kumoricon will know that it's hit the big time. BTW on the subject of the convention center maybe somebody can clear this up Are there any hotel;s near the convention center? Because well I haven't noticed any...well otherb than the Doubletree but it's a certain distance away.
OH god yes! I have to help my mom out at the OPA showcase and it is about $10 for some decent food.
There is a Red Lion and a few small hotels like Inn at the Convention Center which is right across the street but it looks pretty shabby.
I've stayed at the Inn at the Convention Center before a race last year. It's really shabby and the windows are barred so u can't open them more the like 2 inches, but it's cheap and was clean. It was perfect for what I needed last minute. Might actually do that again this year before that same race. Anyway, the rooms are actually a decent size and cosplayers wouldn't have much problems. Just like no amenities.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 04:58:54 pm »
I wonder if Kumoicon just provide a shuttle between  the Max Light Rail stop and   the Hotel?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
Odds are an idea like that would only be feasible if done by kind and capable con attendees.

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 08:19:41 pm »
Ahhh I miss it too! I haven't been for the last couple of years, even though it IS closer to me... (I'm a bit north in WA) and I do have a car... Wah.