Author Topic: MLP Fighting Game  (Read 6642 times)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
MLP Fighting Game
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:07 am »
LOL Hasbro sends a cease and desist for a fan made My Little Pony fighting game so what happens? Lauren Faust goes behind Hasbro's backs and offers them some original characters to base the game on and use their engine with. Yay~ <3

XD

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nok78waNReM
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline toonafeesh

• Sailor Scout
Re: MLP Fighting Game
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:04 am »
WAT

ALL OF MY LOVE

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:49 am »
The game has been in the works forever hasn't it? And only now is hasboro making a big deal about it?
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:08:24 pm »
I honestly don't know, but from my understanding screw attack used some of the game sprites for the Starscream vs Rainbow Dash Death Battle.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline NekSizzle

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:15:40 am »
The game has been in development for a good while with a couple playtest builds available at fighting game majors, but only started receiving large amounts attention when it was offered as a potential 8th game at Evo *fighting game world championships* in July this year if it won a donation fund against a bunch of other potential games...and QUICKLY pulled a 5 digit lead on all other games that were also options, from smash melee/brawl to Skullgirls, and other MLP hijinks happened that put it in mainpage talks with the fighting game community and bronies everywhere...

Then SUDDENLY, Hasbro is like *ok, stop guise* :(

...There are still builds of the game floating around though... ;)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:00:08 pm »
Am I the only brony who supports Hasbro's request?

I'm fine with fans making their own stuff, but we're talking about taking a franchise that centers around friendship and altering it into the opposite.  I think it makes total sense that the creators would be opposed to this.  Of course, they probably loathe rule 34, but they can't do anything about that (unfortunately).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline NekSizzle

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:47:42 am »
Am I the only brony who supports Hasbro's request?

I'm fine with fans making their own stuff, but we're talking about taking a franchise that centers around friendship and altering it into the opposite.  I think it makes total sense that the creators would be opposed to this.  Of course, they probably loathe rule 34, but they can't do anything about that (unfortunately).

Reasons I don't think even 'bronies' should support the hasbro move.

1 - The Mane6 team *makers of the fighting is magic game* are/were complete nonprofit, using an open fighting game creating engine, and accepted 0 donations to fuel their project while planning for a free release for the game when complete *coughunlikeskullgirlscough*.

2 - Hasbro lets everything else MPL on the internet made by fans or whatnot to be openly distributed, going as far as to say they have 'no intentions of ever filing takedown notices as they see this as free advertising and spreading'

3 - Now through 'legal negotiations, the project is still on, just with all the copyrighted ponies taken out and Luaren Faust *one of the creaters of the actual MLPFIM show* is helping create original characters and whatnot for them.

Just sounds like it got too popular for Hasbro's tastes, unlike all the other random fandom pony stuff, and they want in. :-\

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:21:38 am »
1 - That doesn't matter to me, and i think it makes sense for the company that made the original project to feel the same way.

2 - The things applicable here (to my knowledge) are not downloadable games.  The closest thing would be YouTube videos, which is literally on similar levels to basic fanart.  I will agree that it makes no sense to oppose these things.  However, if you noticed, I did point out the Rule 34 stuff.  They can hate it all they want to, but what can they do about it?  Nothing.  So they do nothing.  With this fighting game, they believe that they can do something, and I think they have that right to make that decision.

3 - If the project is still on, then why are people complaining about it?  Seriously.  Nobody has given a legitimate reason to be bothered by anything that has happened yet.  Even if Hasbro had been successful in making this group cease their production altogether, so what?  As you have pointed out, this group would gain nothing from the project; likewise, they'd lose nothing, and neither would the fans.

Offline NekSizzle

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:04:36 am »
1 - That doesn't matter to me, and i think it makes sense for the company that made the original project to feel the same way.

2 - The things applicable here (to my knowledge) are not downloadable games.  The closest thing would be YouTube videos, which is literally on similar levels to basic fanart.  I will agree that it makes no sense to oppose these things.  However, if you noticed, I did point out the Rule 34 stuff.  They can hate it all they want to, but what can they do about it?  Nothing.  So they do nothing.  With this fighting game, they believe that they can do something, and I think they have that right to make that decision.

3 - If the project is still on, then why are people complaining about it?  Seriously.  Nobody has given a legitimate reason to be bothered by anything that has happened yet.  Even if Hasbro had been successful in making this group cease their production altogether, so what?  As you have pointed out, this group would gain nothing from the project; likewise, they'd lose nothing, and neither would the fans.

In the nature of good debate

1 - Said character likenesses are already used on other indie fighters like EvE and MUGEN, and have been for ages.  Mane6 aren't exactly the trendsetters of using ponies to fight, just the first to decide to make their own game off it.

2 - Up.  There actually are downloadable flash and beyond games using the MLP chars that Hasbro hits the ignore button on.

3 - People complain because Hasbro is forcing them to pull all Hasbro characters *the ponies themselves* and only decided to get involved when the game made a name for itself by raising 30'ish thousand dollars for breast cancer research to be the 8th game at evo.  The game has been around for over a year with no issues from Hasbro...SUDDENLY it became a big deal when the group found themselves in what was actually positive spotlight. ::)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:49:36 am »
While I can understand the view some people have that the series is all about friendship (which isn't completely true in my opinion), If it is a fun game that isn't full of over the top violence, I don't think it would be a bad thing. Sometimes friends fight. Heck, in a lot of ways Hasbro missed an opportunity; they could have endorsed the game, gotten in on the creative process to make sure the series isn't damaged, and could have made part of the episode where the cast are playing the game.

Also, why is this given a cease and desist notice when there are so much worse things out there like Pinkie pie slaughtering the other girls and putting their body parts into muffins, or even the amnesia videos featuring the ponies? I'm all for freedom of expression, but that is just sick and makes me think those people have "problems".
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:51:27 pm »
I will definitely agree with that last point, Greg.  However, I still think that Hasbro, or any other company that makes any form of entertainment, has the right to oppose something related to their products.  It is up to them to decide what is worth the attempts.  Regarding the mod games that Mek mentioned, I'm surprised that no company has made even a statement about it (to my knowledge), and I have no idea what EvE is.  I'm sure Hasbro has their reasons for ignoring other MLP games or anything else made by fans until this point that none of us have even considered.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them enjoys using Mugen to have Fluttershy kick Iron Man's ass (I know I would).  As for the spotlight that Nek mentioned, that may be the "make-or-break" for their decision; they knew about it.  Who's to say that they're even aware of these other games?

All in all, I can guarantee that a big part of why I don't get the rage is because I couldn't care less about the game.  I really couldn't.  Why?  Because it has no significance to me, and I fail to see how it would to all of the complainers out there, especially since there hasn't been a valid reason to convince me otherwise.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 03:23:08 am »
I don't really care either. I didn't even know about it until I watched the screw attack episode detailing what happened. I'm happy that Loren Faust contacted them to offer original charaters for the game and that can be a big opportunity for that team. I don't really have time to look into the game much either, as I have to get ready for conventions among other things. :D

My guess as to why they aren't putting more notices out there is that they're really lazy about it. As stated before, they only recieved the order to stop after some sort of charity that brought some light to it so they became an easy target. It takes a lot of money to have someone scour the interwebs for such content in addition to the cost of the law team to take such content down.

My other guess is that they will probably steal the idea and make their own MLP fighting game, only not as good. Just because they can.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline NekSizzle

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 03:24:45 am »

[size=78%]All in all, I can guarantee that a big part of why I don't get the rage is because I couldn't care less about the game.  I really couldn't.  Why?  Because it has no significance to me, and I fail to see how it would to all of the complainers out there, especially since there hasn't been a valid reason to convince me otherwise.[/size]

It's a combination of hardcore bronies *who are raging just because it's something pony related period*, actual fighting game enthusiasts *who are raging because the game was actually coming along really well and had a mvc esque gameplay system*, and people who are just outraged that raising 5 figures for breast cancer on accident *Evo threw them into the mix for 8th game, they didn't exactly ask for it, and even tried to remove themselves on the grounds of the game not being complete by july* caused them to get canned. :-\

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 02:42:48 pm »
I have to say it's about the latter most version for me. i feel that Hasbro indeed thought That Fighting is Magic was just getting too big and couldn't take that they didn't have that idea first.
Cosplay Progress:
Akimichi Chouji: 90%
Big Macintosh: 20%

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 05:07:13 am »
So, apparently fans of the fan made game finished the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fDgWItJxlE
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 10:31:55 pm »
...huh.  Well, it looked like Pinkie was enjoying her brawl.