Author Topic: Define Video Games  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
Define Video Games
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
Pretend that there is actually such a thing as someone who has never even heard of video games.  They've been living under a rock in the middle of nowhere, and it's up to you to educate them before some hater who has decided video games are evil does.  How do you explain - What [/size]are [/size]video games?  [/size]What motivates people to play them?  And what game would you have them play first?

Personally, I'd have them play Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy first.  That franchise is my childhood.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
Re: Define Video Games
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:21:05 pm »
Video games are interactive movies that put you in the heart of the story. Your push of the buttons and moving of joysticks determine how you guide the main character through the story. Whether that story is running around defeating monsters, and completing quests, helping your team get to the finals, flying through space in a one-man war to stop an evil empire, collecting and racing the hottest cars, being the star in your own rock band, or simply organizing blocks into rows.

The motivations for playing are many. Some like to explore the vast world laid before them, others the lust of being a near-unstoppable engine of destruction, the likes of which the real world might not tolerate. Some games even allow players to compete against each other in arenas where life, death and instant rebirth (also called respawning) fluctuate frequently and points are counted based on the dominant players' skills.

I would recommend simple games to start with. Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros are easy to play and learn for all ages. The next easiest would be any racing game. Newer racing games would most likely have a tutorial to help starting players along. Another simple game line to start with would be any from the Guitar Hero or Rockband series. From there, the sky is the limit.

Not bad for a start eh?
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
I would keep it plain and simple. Tetris. and no not the newer ones I am taling the one for the NES.

China bound!!!