Author Topic: Forum software upgrade  (Read 9181 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Forum software upgrade
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:55:41 am »
We've just upgraded our forum software, Simple Machines Forum, to the 2.0.x branch.

You've probably already immediately noticed the new appearance; there are also many new features. A few of the highlights:
  • Rich text editor for posts. No need for BBcode! But it's still available if you want.
  • You can add social networking links to your profile for modern services like Facebook and Twitter. Not just 15-year old ones like AIM and ICQ. :)
  • Much-improved email delivery reliability for forum notifications.
Enjoy!
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Forum software upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:33 pm »
Its so shiny!  :o

...is...is this the matrix?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:01:32 pm »
I'll admit, I didn't care for it at first, but then I started tinkering around with posting an image for a thread (but accidentally erased it all).  I like how we can see the image now, instead of all of that text.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:32 am »
Its so shiny!  :o

...is...is this the matrix?
I had the same reaction
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »
Jury still out on the look I am sure I will get used to, but dang the way this looks

:o

Is my new favorite emoticon ever!

Offline hawk222

• Chibi
    • Hawk222's tumblr
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:12 am »
Ah, is there a way to reduce the number of posts per page of a thread? I looked through the various settings, but it seems like that option was removed...

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:11:22 am »
Ah, is there a way to reduce the number of posts per page of a thread? I looked through the various settings, but it seems like that option was removed...

We changed the default, but you can still change yours individually.

Go to:

Profile / Account Settings

then

Modify Profile / Look and Layout

then

Topics to display per page and
Messages to display per page

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:59:46 pm »
I'm shocked it's so briiiiight~ But very nice. I really like how we can TELL what the stickied threads are by a very distinct color change.

Question: the top of each page, the rounded corners seem to have little navy squares filling them out, while around every other div/box/table they do not exist, and the bottom of that very same div/box there are no little navy squares filling out the rounded corners. Seems like a strange coding thing to leave in, visually.

That said, the space on my page (say 70 pixels) on each side of the outermost box seems a bit on the larger size to condense everything down into varying shades of whites and blue-whites. It could be realistically lessened to say, 50 pixels?

My other question, didn't the Admins and mods have different colored usernames above their avatars, not just different colored blocks? Or were bolded or something?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:01:19 pm by veraca »
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:17:33 pm »
Question: the top of each page, the rounded corners seem to have little navy squares filling them out, while around every other div/box/table they do not exist, and the bottom of that very same div/box there are no little navy squares filling out the rounded corners. Seems like a strange coding thing to leave in, visually.

I actually don't see this. Can you post a screen shot, or do a quick check in another browser to see if it's the same? I wonder if an image didn't load (like an image for one of the rounded rectangles--that is, if it's done that way, and not with CSS).

That said, the space on my page (say 70 pixels) on each side of the outermost box seems a bit on the larger size to condense everything down into varying shades of whites and blue-whites. It could be realistically lessened to say, 50 pixels?

Turns out, this is a configurable setting! Though only globally by admins--not per-user. It was 90%. I agree, and just upped it to 95%.

If you are feeling daring you can change it yourself. Run this in your browser console:

$('#wrapper').width('95%');

Replace that with whatever value you want. You'll have to do this on every page load. I leave writing a Chrome/Firefox extension to do this as an exercise to the reader.

My other question, didn't the Admins and mods have different colored usernames above their avatars, not just different colored blocks? Or were bolded or something?

This might have been the case. If so, it looks like the new theme no longer does this for posts, but only for the "online list".

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 02:05:18 pm »
I checked in IE, and noticed that the top there is a gradient (to transparent, probably) background that starts dark at the top. For some reason, my firefox is being a jerk to me lately and won't let me see background images at all. I had done some running around to get rid of the background image on yt (that gray stone looking thing, gives me a headache) and somehow it applies globally. Why I'm just seeing a little bit of the background image, I'm not sure.

Kumori'15

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
I checked in IE, and noticed that the top there is a gradient (to transparent, probably) background that starts dark at the top. For some reason, my firefox is being a jerk to me lately and won't let me see background images at all. I had done some running around to get rid of the background image on yt (that gray stone looking thing, gives me a headache) and somehow it applies globally. Why I'm just seeing a little bit of the background image, I'm not sure.

I can't repro it in any browser (tried 6 of them), sorry. You might check if it happens in a different Firefox profile (or user account); if not, then it's a problem within your Firefox profile.

Incidentally, and although the Kumoricon website fully supports Firefox (along with many other browsers), I have found anecdotally both from my own experience and from others that Firefox tends to frequently get these types of problems on its own (corrupt data in its profile). I usually recommend Chrome to people in that case.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 05:01:46 pm »
Kind of surprised this has not been mentioned yet. When are we going to be able to use our browser spell checks in the text box again? I use firefox and while it still under-squiggly-lines the improperly spelled word, when you right click on it all you get is browser options such as the ability to go forward or back or refresh a page. Both my PC and my laptop have this issue.

I just checked on my version of internet explorer and even though it doesn't have a spell checker built in, it does still give the typical cut, copy, paste, etc. so I would assume that if it had a spell check function that it would still work.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 05:04:01 pm »
Kind of surprised this has not been mentioned yet. When are we going to be able to use our browser spell checks in the text box again? I use firefox and while it still under-squiggly-lines the improperly spelled word, when you right click on it all you get is browser options such as the ability to go forward or back or refresh a page. Both my PC and my laptop have this issue.

I just checked on my version of internet explorer and even though it doesn't have a spell checker built in, it does still give the typical cut, copy, paste, etc. so I would assume that if it had a spell check function that it would still work.

^YES THIS OH BOB YES!

in case anyone noticed the difference of my already questionable spellin this is the cause.  Glad its not just me having issue.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:11 pm »
Looks like this is a known bug. Unfortunately, I'm not expecting a fix anytime soon:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=438890.0

For now, if you toggle the View mode (the rightmost button on the bottom row above the text editor), it will switch to code mode, you can fix the spellings, then post or switch back to edit more. I'll be on the lookout for a real fix.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13:30 am »
Was it an update to the forums or to Firefox, cause I actually recall pretty recently being able to use the spell check in Firefox here in the forums. The last two or three days it's been absent.
Kumori'15

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 08:16:48 am »
I don't know... other than that bug report above is two years old, and the forum software here hasn't been changed in the last few days (or weeks).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:41 am »
I was using Firebug and removing tags from the text editor. There's an iframe, and inside that the body tag has an attribute called "contenteditable". It is set to false. I edited it and set it to "true" and suddenly I can right-click on spelling errors and the list of corrections appears.

It looks like it's an HTML5 attribute. From what I've read, it allows you to turn an element such as a <div> into an editable area. Or I guess in this case a body tag.

Regardless, pretty weird and I'm not sure what the ramifications are of changing contenteditable from false to true and why it only seems to affect Firefox.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:35:21 am by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 05:26:16 pm »
It has been this way for me since the forum did its big update where the look changed. I was planning on posting on it when the switch originally happened but just kept putting it off thinking someone else would notice.

For now, if you toggle the View mode (the rightmost button on the bottom row above the text editor), it will switch to code mode, you can fix the spellings, then post or switch back to edit more. I'll be on the lookout for a real fix.
Thanks, at least that works and I don't have to open up another window to fix my spelling. I wonder if this problem has anything to do with the cursor often appearing the next line down despite it actually being at the end of the text as it should. To clarify, if I click off screen and then click back on screen it often shows the blinking line (I wish I could remember the proper term) that tells you where you are going to type it is as if you hit the enter key to go to the next line, despite it actually being at the end of where you were typing last. I know I'm horrible at explaining things, but I hope that clears things up more than muddles things.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done