Author Topic: The Dreaded Con-Cold  (Read 3972 times)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
The Dreaded Con-Cold
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »
http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/natural-cold-remedies-fact-vs-fiction-infographic

This lists a lot of varrying cold remedies, side effects they could have, and how effective they are at treating your cold. Best for you is ginseng and Vitamin D, so load up on that (probably at least 3-5 days before to get it in your system sufficiently*) before and during the con.

Someone know the facts for the amount of days it should be in your system at a steady pace before it'll help?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
Re: The Dreaded Con-Cold
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:03:28 pm »
Oh man, if we're talking about avoiding con plague, the best tip I can give is to cosplay a character who wears gloves!

I always used to get sick after Sakuracon, except some years I didn't, and I finally realized that not getting sick correlated with the years that I wore gloves with my cosplay. I figure that since you're not touching your mouth or eyes (in fact, a good way to avoid getting sick day-to-day is not touching either of those places without washing your hands first) when you're wearing gloves, and you take off your gloves to eat, that your hands end up being relatively clean.

:P Of course, I'm not a doctor, but that's just been my experience. I also start taking a ton of vitamin C about a week before a con to get it in my system properly. A week might be overkill, but anything that'll stave off con plague is fine with me.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »
One can always go back to the basics and take care of themselves. Eat. Get Some Sleep. Drink Water. Don't Stress Yourself Out!
If you don't you leave your body and immunity system weak leaving you a sitting duck for colds.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »
I always get a sore throat after conventions. :/  I really don't think there's anything I can do about that.  Dunno if it's a cold or just a reaction to a lot of dust being kicked up, hot sweaty nerds in confined places, etc.

I also always carry around some hand sanitizer with me so I can keep my hands clean before eating.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:18 am »
YUP WASH THEM HANDS!!!
people are filthy messy icky things, and blow your nose too as dust is just fine dirt, don't want to snort that stuff up
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »
I don't have an issue with the con cold but this is good info anyway.  I work in the medical field so A. I wash my hands a lot. B.  Avoid hand rails and other heavily contaminated areas unless they can't be avoided.  C.  I'm exposed to so many viruses already in the medical field so I've already had it or I'm a carrier.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:18:09 pm »
One can always go back to the basics and take care of themselves. Eat. Get Some Sleep. Drink Water. Don't Stress Yourself Out!
If you don't you leave your body and immunity system weak leaving you a sitting duck for colds.

^ Yes! I know (and am guilty of not doing the above) that it's incredibly easy to get caught up in the atmosphere at the con and forget to do the basics, especially eat. I usually come down with a cold right after I get home from con. But last Sakuracon, when one of our roommates decided to make dinner every night (our savior), and be insistent that we eat at least one good meal every day, for the first time after con I felt no sickness. Funny how that works.

Also make sure you keep some airborne or Emergen-C in your hotel room!

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »
Oh man, if we're talking about avoiding con plague, the best tip I can give is to cosplay a character who wears gloves!

I have been doing that, too, but not for this reason...

Personally, I don't get sick after a con, but it might be partially due to proper hygiene: shower, wash hands, don't lick random people or things, SHOWER,...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »
The year before last Sakuracon I was pretty sick on day 0 so I started taking some Zicam dissolve tablets. Only according to the box I had to take them every 6-8 hours, for several days- which was the length of the cold anyway- and that consumed the entire package. I was still sick with a stuffy nose and watery eyes and mildly sore throat, and had the taste stuck on my tongue all weekend. The symptoms would go away for about 4 hours after taking the medicine, but for another 2 I was just miserable, and waking up in the mornings was bad too until I got the medicine in me.

Oddly enough, last Sakuracon, I was so sick that I was unable to eat. I was running around, but unable to keep any food down and had to choke down a lot of water, and force myself to eat an entire bagel over the course of just one day. It was pretty bad. Upon arriving home, I found out I had a bad temperature and forced myself to eat some bananas, and felt fine after a few hours.

Being sick does weird things, but I'd suggest if nothing less, to at least drink a lot of water if you feel or are sick. I've started carrying generic antihistamine with me for the sniffles I might get, and will be loaded up on a lot of multi-vitamins (strong in the B and D), so hopefully this next Sakura I won't be sick. I had a lot of multi-vitamins at Kumori and had a half cup of peanuts each morning, and barely got any kind of sickness.
Kumori'15

Offline DufenDorgen

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:40 pm »
I'd like to drink at the con around some certain times, I live in the area though to far to walk, and I don't drive drunk. So if someone with a hotel rooms also wants to drink, let me know. Also, con policy on drinking?
I sell snake oil and snake oil accessories. ;)

Offline DufenDorgen

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:01:26 pm »
^ Whoops wrong thread
I sell snake oil and snake oil accessories. ;)

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
Vitamin D, Probiotics and Chlorella are known immune system enhancers.I take them and have not had a cold or flu in years. If you get the flu or cold before or during the Con, Elderberry has been proven to cut the time of recovery in half.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:49:25 am »
What's a good way to take Elderberry?
Kumori'15

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:23 pm »
What's a good way to take Elderberry?
you can buy it at your healthfoods store or online. Its in capsul form and should be taken with food

Offline Felis Draco

• Cabbit
    • Fractal Dragon's art and jewelry
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »

Excellent advice: cons are seductive for many reasons, including that we are enjoying ourselves so much we tend to forget that we need to take care of ourselves too! Much as you may be tempted to ignore your basic physical needs, especially sleep, don't! And I'm an older fan who has been going to cons for 40+ years (Yipes! :o ), so I've been through many cases of con colds, con crud, con plague, whatever you chose to call it. I still remember my early years, when it seemed I could do a 4-day convention on about 8 hours sleep for the entire con. Hasn't been that way for a LOOOOOONG time.

One more thing, because we tend to be very active once things get going, and can easily forget to eat (or end up eating junk food, stuff you can grab on the fly), TAKE THE TIME TO EAT A REAL BREAKFAST! Have some fruit, some protein, some healthy carbs. It will help, really. That's something I learned, and have been doing for a long time; even if I get a bit crazy with my eating, I always start with a good breakfast.