Author Topic: Con survival guide for Kumoricon swag bags?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
Con survival guide for Kumoricon swag bags?
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:55:36 am »
For every con, there will be con virgins.  Con virgins have never been to a convention, and therefore, have no clue how to survive a con.  Indeed, they usually don't even know that it needs "surviving" in the first place.  I propose that a Con Survival Guide should be included in Kumoricon 2013's swag bags, so that everyone might get the most out of Kumoricon (as opposed to a large number of con virgins falling over exhausted and going home by the second day).

Some survival rules would HAVE TO include:

1. Pace yourself.  For every two hours spent on your feet, spend at least one hour sitting down.
2. If cosplaying, bring a repair kit for all parts of your cosplay.  Disaster strikes when you are least prepared.
3. SHOWER.  Before or after heading to the con for the day, please, please wash off the stink accumulated from walking around all day.
4. Keep yourself hydrated.  This ESPECIALLY applies to the con dances.
5. When packing for the con, treat it like a camping trip in the wilderness, except electricity is provided.  You'd be surprised how much applies in both situations.

The Survival Guide would include a map of the area, with food places marked.
What rules can you think of to add?
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline mesaverde

• Sailor Scout
Re: Con survival guide for Kumoricon swag bags?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:00:39 pm »
That sounds like a fantastic idea! My first ever con was Kumoricon 2012, and it wasn't until the last day that I started to understand the mannerisms and how to survive at a con.

Also, definitely include "Don't forget to eat!" in the guidebook. That happened to me and my friend last year. Luckily we remembered to eat after the con, so we didn't have to miss the rest.

Maybe also include a list of con mannerisms/ warnings of things that people do at cons that might freak out con virgins (i.e tackle hugs).

And maybe include an easier to read schedule. I know I found myself missing a lot of panels because I couldn't figure out where they were or what time they were at.

Oh and also carrying around a small bag of some kind to keep track of phone, wallet, things that you bought, stuff to fix cosplays, etc was helpful.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:13:45 pm by mesaverde »
Kumoricon 2014 tentative lineup:
Day 1: Yumichika Ayasegawa (Bleach)
Day 2: Flamenco Jolteon (Pokemon)
Day 3: Fujisake Yuusuke/Bossun (Sket Dance)
Day 4: Superbi Squalo (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:30:56 am »
Could we add a few "survival" words onto the pages that the badges get attached to and mailed out? So they can get a heads up BEFORE they actually get to con? Though they DO say already what the age groups need I.D wise which is the most essential pre-con tip I can think of.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:50 pm »
That would be pretty awesome. I'd be more than happy to type it out/format it.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:34:16 am »
I remeber back when there used to be a bit in the program book. I think sending some reminders with the badge might be good, makes it harder for them to ignore it.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 02:28:35 am »
Technically, this used to be on the FAQ page for the Sakuracon website, but I find this link to be VERY USEFUL especially when you're dealing with going an convention for the very first time:

http://moiramctaggart.deviantart.com/journal/Con-Going-Checklist-291176240

Hope this helps.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:17 pm »
Technically, this used to be on the FAQ page for the Sakuracon website, but I find this link to be VERY USEFUL especially when you're dealing with going an convention for the very first time:

http://moiramctaggart.deviantart.com/journal/Con-Going-Checklist-291176240

Hope this helps.
Some of the items on that list are... interesting... XD
"3 unlubricated condoms"... Really? I guess more people go to conventions expecting to get lucky than I thought.
"Safety matches"... You're going to a convention, not out in the wilderness. Unless we see a zombie apocalypse at a convention, I don't think I'll need to start a fire in one. :P

As for what to bring, I always bring duct tape with me. It comes in amazingly handy more times than I'd like to admit.
I also like to bring a small bottle of Febreeze with me so I can spray down my costumes a couple times throughout the convention. I may not do it every day (though I might, depending on how hot/sweaty I was that day), but it's nice to "refresh" the outfit once in a while.
Not to mention a cell phone. It probably sounds pretty obvious, but it's always good to have a cell phone with you at a convention. Leave it off until you need it, though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:36:11 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »
A con med kit comes in handy, too.  Unlike a regular med kit (all bandages and gauze) a con med kit has lots of-

• Pain patches
  • Headache medicine
  • Muscle pain medicine
  • Indegestion medicine
  • Blister bandages
  • (for ladies) Emergency menstrual supplies.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:21 am »
This might make a great video topic for the Publicity team, I'll be sure to pass this info along to them and let them know what elements you'd like to see in a potential Con Survival Page.

Also... all of you should be promoting the idea of the 5-2-1 rule, it's one of the only things that I've been able to consistently tell newbies that has helped them stay healthy and sane at con...

5-2-1 = 5 hours of sleep a day, 2 meals a day, 1 shower a day! These are the BARE MINIMUM that you should get to ensure you have a fun and healthy time at con!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:05:25 am »
And can we stress that meal means actual food. Not just pocky and ramune, or a granola bar and bottle of water. You're here to have fun, but if you want the fun to last, you should really eat.
After my last accidental-starvation con, I can really attest to bring a lot of real food, even if it's just a loaf of bread and some cheese. You will probably eat it.

I also think that people should pack emergency money, or have on them a little notecard of emergency contacts or things you're allergic to.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:53 am »
A survival guide would definitely be a good idea to have in swag bags every year!  :D
One tip I might recommend is some of the con rules, because some people haven't read the rules on the website and/or forget their manners. By that, I mean the: "No Yaoi/Yuri paddles", "No hugs/glomping/touching/kissing unless given permission by the person", etc. This is primarily to avoid any uncomfortable situations that could land someone in a LOT of trouble.
Another thing that would be good to have is some tips on safety (travel in a group, avoid dark streets, etc.), and to encourage con-goers to talk to one of the staff members if they are lost or have an issue with harassment.
I do like the idea of having a map with restaurants/bathrooms being high-lighted. While there is a coffee shop in the Hilton, it's not quite enough nourishment for a whole day of walking. But it is cheaper to buy drinks/candy bars there (with Washington's added tax fee and all).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:36:55 am by Valkyrie542 »
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:49 pm »
Heh just reading this thread has made me write up what I need to bring foodwise this upcoming year! XD We subsisted off pizza, subway, and chips last year. Gonna be properly prepared now that I have time and the awareness to stock up.  ;D
Secrety secrets!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 09:46:40 am »
Heh just reading this thread has made me write up what I need to bring foodwise this upcoming year! XD We subsisted off pizza, subway, and chips last year. Gonna be properly prepared now that I have time and the awareness to stock up.  ;D
That's a very good idea. Last year, I brought some things with me and left them in my room; it's convenient and cheaper than going to one of the restaurants. You should check with the hotel you're staying at and ask them if they have a mini fridge and/or a microwave, it helps you plan ahead which foods you'd like to take with you. I survived on microwavable pasta, sandwiches, chips, soda/water, and had some Taco Bell.  :D
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:39 am »

That's a very good idea. Last year, I brought some things with me and left them in my room; it's convenient and cheaper than going to one of the restaurants. You should check with the hotel you're staying at and ask them if they have a mini fridge and/or a microwave, it helps you plan ahead which foods you'd like to take with you. I survived on microwavable pasta, sandwiches, chips, soda/water, and had some Taco Bell.  :D
I know the Red Lion has mini fridges now after last year. Also my cosplays have pockets and storage for snacks!

Secrety secrets!