Convention Events and Programming > Live Programming

Kumoricon Ballroom Music Ideas

(1/5) > >>

Dread Pirate:
Greetings, This is the Pirate.

I would like to hear what kinds of music you would like to have played at the ball in the next convention.
I cannot guarantee that anything will be selected, due mostly in part to time allotment and overall feel.
But please post what feel you would even wish to have!
Also, lessons for particular dances will be taught depending on well our instructors know the dance, and how desirable that dance is.

Also, if able, please post a link to the song you post, as it will help immensely on showing us what you mean.

Thank you.

FilkAeris:
Excellent!  I actually threw together a mock playlist of good masquerade-ball music after the ball at Aki-Con, since there was so much standard mainstream top-40 pop being played.  So!

Music I would not like to hear: Classical music that isn't really intended for dancing - a.k.a., sloooow and/or constantly changing its tempo for dramatic purposes.  (Examples: Claire de Lune, most ballets.)  Nobody can figure out what tempo they ought to waltz at, and the music tends to crash loudly one minute and then go almost silent the next.  Even the composers didn't write it for balls and dances, and it confuses everybody and/or puts everybody to sleep.

Music I would like to hear a bit of: Standard mainstream top-40 pop.  But not too much!  A little of this can inject some energy into the ball, but more than one every four or five songs and it just starts feeling like a regular old rave/dance.

Music I would love to hear: Two categories, actually!

(A) Classical music that was written for dancing!  Particularly waltzes and quadrilles.  Some excellent dancing music includes:

- The "Skaters' Waltz"
- The "Voices of Spring" waltz
- The "Fledermaus Quadrille"

(B) "Classical"-style music from anime, movies, and video games!  There's a buttload of this out there, and a lot of it is perfect for dancing.  Some examples:

- "Aunt Marge's Waltz" from the Harry Potter films
- "Misa no Uta" from Death Note
- "Prima Vista Orchestra" from Final Fantasy: Distant Worlds
- "River's Waltz" from Doctor Who
- "Once You Meet Her" by Faye Wong from Cowboy Bebop
- "Waltz for the Moon" from Final Fantasy VIII
- "Dance with the Balamb-Fish" from Final Fantasy VIII
- "Merry-Go-Round of Life" from Howl's Moving Castle
- "Tango Brilliante" from Ouran High School Host Club
- "Waltz of Chihiro" from Spirited Away
- "Zelda's Lullaby" from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

There are loads out there - I have more in mind, too!  I have the MP3s for all of these example songs, plus more, if you want them.  : )  Does that help?

Dread Pirate:
Marvelous!!
Thank you for the input!

Teddy_Bearxx:
Polkamon- Weird Al.
They had this year.

RoriLei:
Zelda definitely. Some music from Miyazaki movies would be great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version