Author Topic: Autograph from Vic Worth It?  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Erosempai

• Oni
    • Twitter
Autograph from Vic Worth It?
« on: June 14, 2017, 01:39:47 am »
Ive heard horror stories of the past that Vic Mignogna was homophobic at Sakura Con some years ago. I really need his autograph in my second volume of Full Metal Alchemist, since I have Todd Haberkorn and Aaron Dismuke in there already.

Is he safe to get an autograph from if you're in the LGBTQIA+?
Next Events~
June 24th: Atomic Comic Con, Tacoma WA
July 8th: Japan Fair, Bellevue WA
Sept 2nd: PAX Prime, Seattle WA
Sept 16th/17th: Renton City Comic Con, Renton WA
Oct 21st/22nd: Central City Comic Con, Yakima WA
Oct 27th to 29th: Kumoricon, Portland

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Autograph from Vic Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:45:07 pm »
Well for one, being homophobic isn't going to affect getting a signature on an anime like FMA..He signs thousands (maybe millions) of those a year. Not that I agree with his stance on homosexuality, I don't agree at all with him actually. But he's VERY Christian, and I can assume you know what that means in terms of how they feel about it. He's not homophobic though. He doesn't hate gay people. He actually tells people to be who they are regardless. BUT, he politely asks to not try to get him to sign Yaoi. That's literally it. Some people take that as he hate's gays, but those people are what I call complete idiots. If someone is mad because of that, they need to take a step back and re-evaluate their lives.

Offline Erosempai

• Oni
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:04 pm »
Well for one, being homophobic isn't going to affect getting a signature on an anime like FMA..He signs thousands (maybe millions) of those a year. Not that I agree with his stance on homosexuality, I don't agree at all with him actually. But he's VERY Christian, and I can assume you know what that means in terms of how they feel about it. He's not homophobic though. He doesn't hate gay people. He actually tells people to be who they are regardless. BUT, he politely asks to not try to get him to sign Yaoi. That's literally it. Some people take that as he hate's gays, but those people are what I call complete idiots. If someone is mad because of that, they need to take a step back and re-evaluate their lives.

Thank you for the reply. I still will get an autograph. I'm a huge FMA fan, always will be, so the horror stories were interesting to me. 
Next Events~
Sept 2nd: PAX Prime, Seattle WA
Sept 16th/17th: Renton City Comic Con, Renton WA
Oct 21st/22nd: Central City Comic Con, Yakima WA
Oct 27th to 29th: Kumoricon, Portland

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:28 am »
Don't let the criticism that Vic gets discourage you. I've been around him at conventions a lot for 11 years and can assure you that he's not the homophobe that some have claimed him as.
I can understand your concern, because when people make those kinds of claims, it's normal to feel worried.
But people who say these things are either haters looking for attention, or they believe it out of irrational thoughts that came from bad experiences with the homophobic types.
When someone has a lot of bad experiences of a specific kind, it's not uncommon for them to feel concerned over certain things that wouldn't worry most people.
If someone has experienced a lot of gay-bashing and/or had difficult moments with religious types, it's easy for them to see anyone who claims to be Christian as bigoted or psycho-religious, even if the person just claims to have those beliefs, just because of previous experiences, which can result in what's known as irrational thoughts.
I can guarantee you, that Vic is not the Westboro Baptist type. I was raised in a Christian family myself and have known a lot of Christians over the years who are great people (other VAs with Christian beliefs are Caitlin Glass, Johnny Yong Bosch, Micah Solusod, Jamie Marchi and Carrie Savage). And I can assure you that those with Jimmy Swaggart or Pat Robertson tendencies aren't more than a small minority (which says a lot in a country where Christians are at least 70% of the population).
Also, Vic has one of the largest fandoms in anime and many of the fans admire him for his faith and how he expresses it. If he was the hater that some claim him to be, the number of people in his fan base would barely be larger than the number of conventions that Scott Freeman and Illich Guardiola have been to in the last two years.

I've got a couple of videos relating to Vic that I'd like to share that prove that he respects gays.

The first one relates to the criticism he receives, and the second one relates to J. Michael Tatum's views (who is openly gay) on him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6jCWtyvzbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmj7b7n7cE

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:22:45 am by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline Erosempai

• Oni
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:28:29 pm »
Thank you for the videos. :)
Next Events~