Author Topic: Walking around with wings/large props?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline iSmellMusic

• Cabbit
    • iSmellMusic's Blog
Walking around with wings/large props?
« on: November 17, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »
Since I'm coming to Kumoricon next year as Flandre scarlet, I should have wings and a somewhat large prop.  And I was wondering, how do people generally go around conventions with a large props or wide wings?

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
Re: Walking around with wings/large props?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »
side step side step
also i would advise never going to a convention with a big prop without a friend who could assist you in a prop emergency (breaking, hurting someone, getting on off etc.)
i'm sure you could find a way to maby tie your wings together and have them stick up a bit more to make more space on the sides?
i hope thats helpful

Offline 7bijou7

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:29:18 am »
I remember I had a large soul scythe a few years back, best way I dealt with it was putting it diagonal to get through doors, and as ^ said having a friend who could hold it for me when I needed a break. It can be annoying but you can get through it! I couldn't take the elevator and those stairs were so small, it was tiring =_= I hit my friends on accident to much, but this hotel and con right now seem less packed and more roomy so it shouldn't be too bad. :3
Planned Cosplays for Kumo 2015:
BB Hood - Darkstalkers
Umi Sonoda (Yume no Tobira ver.) - Love Live!
Bunny Maid TV Head - Original
Princess Bubblegum (Tart Dress) - Adventure Time

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:34:49 am »
I have had large wings before and I am going to at a sakuracon which is much larger than Kumoricon. Side step is the best action, the other thing I did was hook my arms around the back of the wings and pulled them closer to my stomach, they bent a little. It didn't help too much but it did a little. For the wigs just be aware of your surroundings, don't take them into the dealers hall and you should be fine.

And for the props do as they said, have a friend with you.

Offline iSmellMusic

• Cabbit
    • iSmellMusic's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:53:06 pm »
Alright, I'll keep those tips in mind, thanks everybody! ^^

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »
I went to con this year with pretty sizable wings, and yeah, when ever you can, walk sideways. be careful when you turn and go through hallways or into elevators. Also, if you are going into a place to eat, take them off. I went into starbucks once with my wings because there was not many people in tthere and it was pretty open. just as you have to be aware of others, other should be aware of you. I got a lot of people just walking right into my wings. They got thrashed at con and I have to make a new pair. Have fun and be aware : )
Kumori-con 2013 cosplay plans:
Day zero: Sollux Captor
Day one: Meenah peixes
Day two: Fem! Grand highblood.
Day three: We leave at about 1:30 pm, and it's a long drive home, so no cosplay on day three. Too much make up to take on and off, haha.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:16:42 pm »
With the Remila and Flandre wings I am making I am making them a tad smaller then they might be in real life and easy to remove

I have seen people build wings they can pull them in in tight spots
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:18 am »
I went to con this year with pretty sizable wings, and yeah, when ever you can, walk sideways. be careful when you turn and go through hallways or into elevators. Also, if you are going into a place to eat, take them off. I went into starbucks once with my wings because there was not many people in tthere and it was pretty open. just as you have to be aware of others, other should be aware of you. I got a lot of people just walking right into my wings. They got thrashed at con and I have to make a new pair. Have fun and be aware : )
^ this
I was actually quite surprised that I'd be going down the sidewalk or down the hallway and it would be relitively empty and then there'd be one or two people walking the opposite direction the same area of the sidewalk and despite it being much easier for them to go around or through a tighter area I often found myself having to step off to the side out of the way just for them to go by. I honestly don't think I saw a single person take that into consideration when walking by me. If I hadn't torso twisted 90 degrees or sidestepped or twist my body so a wing goes over their head thanks to my tallness (often at the last couple seconds too) they would have probably been injured if I just kept walking.

I expected to have to come into situations like that in large groups of people and that's part of the reason I designed my harness the way I did. As the one wearing the wings I knew it was my responsibility to make sure I was as much out of the way as possible. What I didn't expect was just how much of it I would have to deal with when there is plenty of room they can much more easily get around (depending on the location and the terrain). It reminded me of high school, only worse and I wish people could be more considerate.

Yes, Sidestepping and being able to twist your upper body and harness 90 degrees will probably be your best bet. Keep in mind though that often people behind and in front of you won't realize what's going on so you're going to have to have omnidirectional senses. Also having a handler will be of great benefit or perhaps travel in groups with other large prop or wing bearers so you are all more visible, though I bet that would just amplify the problem.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:56 am »
Also you could always make the wings a little smaller than they should be. I plan on doing that with my costume just to make it easier in general for me. If they are smaller I might be able to take them with me on the train rather than having someone drive them up.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:04 pm »
Yes, I made mine smaller for that reason too.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline qiaokeli

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:14:35 pm »
Question: Is there a specific maximum length/width/height that a prop cannot exceed?

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:57:47 pm »
Walk sideways if needed, and have a friend with you to help direct traffic, carry the prop when your arms are tired, or just to warn you when you're about to run into walls. That seemed to work with my giant boomerang last year.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.