Author Topic: Joining staff: FAQ  (Read 38238 times)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Joining staff: FAQ
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:01:56 am »
It might seem like it sometimes, but there's no secret handshake required to join staff. You don't have to know someone, or be invited, or anything else. All you have to do is want to help. :) And as Kumoricon keeps growing, we'll need that help more and more.

If you have a question that isn't answered below, please feel free to ask and we'll get an answer for you.

1) What are the benefits?

• You don't have to buy a regular admission badge, and there's no longer any fee to join staff.
  • Staff t-shirt, lanyard, and custom badge (you get to choose the image on your badge, as long as it's appropriate for all ages)
  • Con suite - if you're too busy to go to the store or a restaurant, stop by and these folks will make sure you get something to eat. It may not be fancy (maybe a cup of ramen or a sandwich), but it'll keep you going.
  • Discounted room rate, though it's generally reserved for people who room with other staffers (since there are only so many rooms to go around)
  • The staff parties, such as the staff barbecue in the summer, the "Dead Dog" party on the last day (after we finish getting everything ready to go into storage for next year), and the party on "day 4" (after we finish loading everything into storage)
  • Voting rights to determine the next year's Directors

2) Will I be able to go to my favorite panels or events?

It depends a lot on your position(s), but generally the answer is "Yes". Some positions do most or all of their work before the convention, for example. Most positions are primarily at-con work, but your manager or Director will do their best to schedule you so that you don't have to miss out. The con is supposed to be fun for staff too, after all.

3) But I've heard a lot of stories about staffers who hardly have time to sleep, let alone anything else. Are you sure I'll have free time?

A lot of our staff are hardcore workaholics. You're always welcome to work more hours than the minimum, but it isn't required or expected.

4) So what are the minimum number of hours that I'll have to work?

16 hours for most positions, but some positions may require more.

5) Will I be able to cosplay?

Absolutely. We do ask that you not wear a mask or carry weapons while you're on-duty, but otherwise the sky's the limit. You probably also want to avoid bulky or hard-to-get-around-in costumes, but they're not forbidden. It's just that you'll frequently want to get from point A to point B in a hurry, and bulky costumes make that difficult.

6) What sort of positions are available?

https://www.kumoricon.org/open-positions

7) I've heard that you have monthly staff meetings. Do I have to attend them in order to be staff?

Usually not. However, certain positions may require certain meetings for training or planning purposes, so check when you apply for staff if you think you might have trouble attending meetings. That said, it's good to come if you can - staff meetings are a great chance to get to know and spend time with your fellow staffers, learn more about how the convention is run, and get more involved.

8) If I join, how long of a commitment are we talking about?

Staff positions last for one convention year. This does mean you have to re-apply every year... but that itself is a benefit in some ways, because it offers the chance to try different departments and/or positions.

9) Sounds good so far. How do I get signed up?

Come to one of our staff meetings! (https://www.kumoricon.org/meetings) Once the "official" part of the meeting is over and we go into breakouts, you'll need to approach the Director of the department you'd be working with. You can find out who your Director would be from the positions chart, and you can tell who's who because they each give a report during the official part of the meeting. He or she can tell you about the position, and/or might point you to the manager of your specific area to find out more.

You'll also need to fill out a staff form. You can print one out ahead of time and fill it out, or you can always just grab one at the meeting - we'll have them there as well. You'll need the Director of your department to initial off on your form to show that you've been approved, then you bring it to the Secretary to register.

10) I'm still not sure. Is there any way I can give staffing a test-drive without actually committing?

Volunteers are an integral part of Kumoricon, and we'll always welcome any help you can give. Volunteering lets you get a glimpse of what things are like "behind the scenes", and also gives you some of the perks of staffing. If you'd like a better description of the difference between volunteering and staffing, check out https://www.kumoricon.org/get-involved.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Meowzrz24

• Oni
Re: Joining staff: FAQ
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:51:08 am »
Is there an age limit? ???

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:48 am »
No limit. you jsut need to be over 16 and if you are under 18 at the time of registering you need a parent permission form
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline pyromage1222

• Oni
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
Hey, I was just sending a message to  programming to check for work, -since last year was my first year- I wanted to help! After checking all the jobs, i got confused  :o  Literately, I could not pin my self to a job,  :-\  I am trying to find a job there that I could handle, As I am a 16 year old,  though by the time con will be happening I will be 17,  any Job suggestions?

Thanks!

Josiah
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:02:10 pm by pyromage1222 »
"One should not die for his friends. He should live for them."
>>Erza Scarlet 

Those who do not understand true pain can never understand true peace."
>>Nagato(Pain)

Offline pyromage1222

• Oni
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:47:26 am »
Alright, I have decided on a handful of jobs, I just need to know if any of these can be applied for By a 17 year old kid, the jobs are:  Assistant Panels Manager, Console Coordinator,  RPG Staff and Assistant Tabletop Manager

The reason Why I ask this is because two of these are under management positions, And under logical thinking, most likely want Experienced members and/or older employees.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:05:07 am by pyromage1222 »
>>Erza Scarlet 

>>Nagato(Pain)

Offline Mighty Wanderer

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:29:11 pm »
So I emailed the head of the department I want to work with as it said to on the "Get Involved" page about a week and a half ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I know I'm probably just being antsy and impatient but what's the usual wait time before you get a response?

Offline pyromage1222

• Oni
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 04:37:58 pm »
When I contacted one of the department heads, I got a reply 4 days later,
>>Erza Scarlet 

>>Nagato(Pain)

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:08:00 pm »
If we put in our staff applications, assuming we've been approved, when will we know?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:08:29 pm »
So I emailed the head of the department I want to work with as it said to on the "Get Involved" page about a week and a half ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I know I'm probably just being antsy and impatient but what's the usual wait time before you get a response?

If you still haven't heard back, could you send me a PM with the details and I will try to follow up? Thanks!
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline TyrianMollusk

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 07:54:00 pm »
For those of us that have never seen a Kumoricon badge before, how big is the custom staff badge image (not the file we upload -- the image that actually gets printed on the badge), and where does it go?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »
For those of us that have never seen a Kumoricon badge before, how big is the custom staff badge image (not the file we upload -- the image that actually gets printed on the badge), and where does it go?

It's a square about 1.5 inches on a side. It will be among the other pieces of information, and won't be covered by anything (like text). It doesn't go all the way to the edge.

Offline bigdadytid

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • the russian facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:16 am »

If you still haven't heard back, could you send me a PM with the details and I will try to follow up? Thanks!

PM sent

Thanks
greasy, tattooed asian trash

2014-auction staff
2013-roaming yojimbo

Offline shandra

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
Joining The Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:42 pm »

Please Help Me!!
So...I am wanting to join the staff team but unsure what job to apply for. I have looked over the page with what is open, but still not able to find which one is right for me. I am hoping to find one that is before the convention begins or something that will allow me to have enough free time to check out some of the panels and events. I have never been to a convention and need some help figuring this out.
(\(o.o)/)Thanks,
    Shandra
I'll be waiting...for you...so...
If you come here...
You'll find me.
I promise.

Offline bigdadytid

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • the russian facebook
Re: Joining The Staff
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:58:00 am »

Please Help Me!!
So...I am wanting to join the staff team but unsure what job to apply for. I have looked over the page with what is open, but still not able to find which one is right for me. I am hoping to find one that is before the convention begins or something that will allow me to have enough free time to check out some of the panels and events. I have never been to a convention and need some help figuring this out.
(\(o.o)/)Thanks,
    Shandra

forum moderator :)

2014-auction staff
2013-roaming yojimbo

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 06:59:26 pm »
Hi, Shandra!

Right now, I think that we're still sort of figuring out which department needs what right now, so  I'd check back in a week or few to get a better idea. Don't quote me on that, though! I'd advise going with your strengths and what you're comfortable with, but that's just me.

And you've got plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Kumoricon 2014 isn't until next August/September, after all!

Offline shandra

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 08:24:45 pm »
Hi, Shandra!

Right now, I think that we're still sort of figuring out which department needs what right now, so  I'd check back in a week or few to get a better idea. Don't quote me on that, though! I'd advise going with your strengths and what you're comfortable with, but that's just me.

And you've got plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Kumoricon 2014 isn't until next August/September, after all!
Thank you for the information. Someone has already emailed me about it, they told me to check the list in November and it will most likely be updated.
I'll be waiting...for you...so...
If you come here...
You'll find me.
I promise.

Offline TuxedoSchwab

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Everything Waffles
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »
Really hoping to work with Kumoricon next year. I have replied to a few postings but no reply after months. Thoughts?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »
Really hoping to work with Kumoricon next year. I have replied to a few postings but no reply after months. Thoughts?

Most departments are not actively soliciting for 2014 staff yet, and we won't have the 2014 position list posted for a little longer. However, if you are having trouble getting ahold of people you have contacted, please check in with me at secretary@kumoricon.org, and I'll try to follow up and note which position(s) you're interested in. Thanks!

Offline TuxedoSchwab

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Everything Waffles
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:54 am »

Most departments are not actively soliciting for 2014 staff yet, and we won't have the 2014 position list posted for a little longer. However, if you are having trouble getting ahold of people you have contacted, please check in with me at secretary@kumoricon.org, and I'll try to follow up and note which position(s) you're interested in. Thanks!

Thanks, I am looking into to the publications position. Since I wrote that post, someone has gotten back with me about the position. I am hopeful to join the staff for next year if possible!

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:50 pm »
Here's a fun question: Now that Kumoricon is four days instead of three, how many hours will most staff be required to work? Will it be an increase from the old standby of 16 hours over the course of con or will it remain the same?

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 03:44:21 pm »
Im till waiting for my email back from operations ^.^ I cant wait for their reply. I was wondering the same thing about the hours of work needed...
--------------------------------
You. Ya, you. Hi. Have a nice day. You're beautiful inside and out. ( ^ω^) 🐼

Offline Nayruenthusiast

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 03:50:54 pm »
So is going to a meeting the only way to register?
4th place SSBB Kumo 2013
Top 8 Sm4sh Newcon 2014
3rd place Sm4sh Kumo-Lite 2015

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:36 pm »
Hehe, I’m not a part of the staff, ……yet….., But I am trying to be :3
But I do know how this works, for the most part.
No, you do not need to go to a meeting to register to become a Staff member. What you can do is, go to Kumoricon.org and on the top, right side of the screen, click the button “Get Involved”, and then click “Open Positions”. You can then find the position that you are interested in doing. Once you find the one you want, you than send an email to the email listed under the description on the position you like. Say why you’re interested in that position. I’m pretty positive but not completely, you than, depending on what the Director of that position says to you, you than go back to the “Get Involved” button and click “Staff Registration”.  Again, I’m not %100 that that’s all accurate, but that’s what I’m going through. Just trying to help ^.^

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 07:14:47 pm »
Hehe, I’m not a part of the staff, ……yet….., But I am trying to be :3
But I do know how this works, for the most part.
No, you do not need to go to a meeting to register to become a Staff member. What you can do is, go to Kumoricon.org and on the top, right side of the screen, click the button “Get Involved”, and then click “Open Positions”. You can then find the position that you are interested in doing. Once you find the one you want, you than send an email to the email listed under the description on the position you like. Say why you’re interested in that position. I’m pretty positive but not completely, you than, depending on what the Director of that position says to you, you than go back to the “Get Involved” button and click “Staff Registration”.  Again, I’m not %100 that that’s all accurate, but that’s what I’m going through. Just trying to help ^.^

This is exactly right.

Once you have been approved for a position, you can either fill out a printed form, or the director can send you an email invitation to register online.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »
Here's a fun question: Now that Kumoricon is four days instead of three, how many hours will most staff be required to work? Will it be an increase from the old standby of 16 hours over the course of con or will it remain the same?

There is a rule that underlies all the staff positions that any position must require no less than 16 hours of work. That rule hasn't officially changed. However, every staff position has its own time and area requirements, which may exceed 16 hours or specify certain tasks, responsibilities, or locations. These may in some cases increase.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 12:29:58 am »
Hi! So I emailed the director of the department for becoming Yojimbo, about a week ago, and havent heard anything back.

I was just wondering if I should email them again, or if maybe they could PM me here, or what exactly I should do.

:3 Thanks!

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 03:32:36 am »
Hehe, no, he'll get to you. I'm waiting for my email back too ^^ he's just busy with other emails. Don't worry :D

Offline bigdadytid

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • the russian facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 09:23:07 am »
Hi! So I emailed the director of the department for becoming Yojimbo, about a week ago, and havent heard anything back.

I was just wondering if I should email them again, or if maybe they could PM me here, or what exactly I should do.

bless you, Yojimbo is one of the most important jobs at the con

2014-auction staff
2013-roaming yojimbo

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »
I'm trying to apply for the Charity Auction staff and have been for at least 3 weeks but have gotten no reply via email. I totally missed the most recent meeting and won't be able to go to the next one because it's in Eugene. I was wondering what I should do in this case?

Offline BellDue

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »
I'm trying to apply for the Charity Auction staff and have been for at least 3 weeks but have gotten no reply via email. I totally missed the most recent meeting and won't be able to go to the next one because it's in Eugene. I was wondering what I should do in this case?

What email did you send your inquiry to? You might want to send your application to Relations@kumoricon.org. With the position of Charity Auction Manager being vacant, inquiring with the Director is your next best bet.

Attending the next Portland meeting in June would also be a good direction. ^_^

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

What email did you send your inquiry to? You might want to send your application to Relations@kumoricon.org. With the position of Charity Auction Manager being vacant, inquiring with the Director is your next best bet.

Attending the next Portland meeting in June would also be a good direction. ^_^

I sent it to the one listed on the positions page as well as to [size=78%]Relations@kumoricon.org[/size], and have yet to get a response from either. I will try to attend the one in June, but my car is scrap metal now, so I'll have to plan around that. That's why I'm hoping for an email response.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:44 am »

bless you, Yojimbo is one of the most important jobs at the con

And a big thank you to those staff members that helped me out with my staff registration. I just got the email that says I'm officially Yojimbo. Thank you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »
Couldn't get in touch with the Publicity department about staffing this year so I thought I would post.

At 2013's con I was spending a lot of time with the photography staff and they suggested I join them this year. I verified that the positions are open and can make it to the June meeting. I would just need to actually talk to the Publicity representatives.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Cactus

• Oni
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 01:38:25 pm »
Hey! I'm new to Kumoricon (well... sort of. I went once about 4 years ago, so it's been enough time now that I think I count as new. c:) but I would love to be part of the staff if I can! I love getting involved with things like this, even if it's something I'm not completely familiar with.
That said, I'm not sure which of the opening positions would be best, or which need staff the most! I have basic customer service skills and can cook and set up events... I'm open to anything, really!

Offline MPHopcroft

• Oni
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 09:11:12 pm »
Where is there a listing of currently needed staff positions? I applied last year but it was a bit late and they did not have any openings by then. My main relevant area of expertise is with tabletop gaming (board and roleplaying).
"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldhn't believe in Righteousness." - Bernie Taupin

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 02:34:16 pm »
I'm very interested in joining the Yojimbo team and I've sent an email to operations on the subject detailing my previous convention staffing experience, but sending an email to a blanket account like that feels a lot like screaming into the void and I have yet to receive a reply. Is there anyone specific that I could contact about joining the team? At this time I don't think I'll be able to attend the July general meeting, since I'm going to be packing to move- and I have a feeling that the August general meeting will be too late to join and be of any assistance.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline ldkstar

• Director of Infrastructure
  • Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »
Here is the list of open positions, though I am not sure if it is 100% accurate. I too had some trouble getting responses from departments. What I did was emailed secretary@kumoricon.org and told them what positions I was interested in and they passed on my resume and application to those departments. This will be my first year staffing at Kumoricon, but it does seem that the best way to get hired is just to make time for the meeting and find the manager/director you want to work for in person.

Edit: I suppose I should have actually posted the link. https://www.kumoricon.org/open-positions
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:23:07 pm by ldkstar »
2015-: Yojimbo Office Coordinator
2016-: Facilities Liaison

Offline Levi-Ackermen

• Oni
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:00 am »
I've been added to staff already but I've emailed hotel at least three times already with no response. If I don't hear back soon wont even be able to attend
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:51:25 am by Levi-Ackermen »
Day one: Mikoto Suoh/Red king (Project K)
Day two: Erwin- One armed puns (AOT)
Day three: Yata Misaki (Project K)
Day four: Sinon (SAO/GGO)

Offline psychebreaker

• Oni
    • A Fandom Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 08:28:52 pm »
I'm in the manga library as a worker and would like to know when my shifts will be. I don't know how to contact my coordinator for the library.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience,I just need know who to  email. Is there a posted contact list that I'm just missing?
Thank you  :D
J