Author Topic: who can enter cosplay contest?  (Read 4020 times)

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
who can enter cosplay contest?
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:56:15 am »
hey, so last year i heard that you could only enter anime characters into costume contests rather than characters from webcomics, and other things.

if this isn't true then disregard this whole thred.

i find this ironic since there's alot of anime that start as webcomics. comic books. video games. etc.
this is where i find it puzzling (if what i heard was true) why would convention rule agenst such things? isn't it a bit degrading?
i think i understand its an 'anime convention' and we dont want example:'a hundred of blablabla cosplay because its from this live show to enter the costume contest because they can all easily throw it together from their closet'
i COMPLEATLY understand that. but there are some characters from webcomics vid games etc. that people make AMAZING costumes for!
i think the cosplay contests (or at least the cosplay skit contest) should allow any animated/illustrated character (i feel like allowing people to enter oc's and real actors is pushing it still) into the costume contest because aren't they generally the same thing?
this is just a thought. i think perhaps maby allowing for the costume contest might be understandable really.
but i think you guys should be open for the skit contest! there's alot of people who can think of amazing skits to do with and not with animes!

anyways! if the first statement is true, i'd love feedback on my ideas and opinions o: thanks for reading

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
Re: who can enter cosplay contest?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:42:15 am »
hey, so last year i heard that you could only enter anime characters into costume contests rather than characters from webcomics, and other things.

if this isn't true then disregard this whole thred.
Well, no rules have been posted yet for 2013... ;)

However, in the past the "costume judging" portion of the Cosplay Contest has discouraged non-Japanese animation costumes. With that said, there was no such discouragement of the "skits" portion of the Cosplay Contest.

I think the primary thought was that Kumoricon is an "anime fandom" convention, not an "Internet meme fandom" convention. Whether or not this continues is entirely up to the board of directors and the voting membership.

Kumoricon does do a pretty good job incorporating other types of fandom into the convention (the Doctor Who panel comes to mind). Personally, if someone wanted to do a non-anime costume contest I would suggest they contact Jaki Hunt and offer to put something together. Maybe something could be worked out...
--Chris ^_^

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:18:21 pm »
alright! thank you very much.
i've been coming up with skit ideas and realized that -in my oppinion- the best ones are for a non-anime webcomic.
although like i said, i compleately understand since it is an 'anime' convention such things would be discouraged.
thank you very much though that really helps me out! X3

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »
I spoke with Jaki (Programming manager), and she wants us to keep the rules the same as last year.

Only Japanese anime/game character or Japanese cultural/historical (j-pop; lolita; traditional Japanese clothing) costumes may enter the costume judging.

Skits will allow (and always have allowed) entrants to have any costume they wish.

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:26:22 am »
I spoke with Jaki (Programming manager), and she wants us to keep the rules the same as last year.

Only Japanese anime/game character or Japanese cultural/historical (j-pop; lolita; traditional Japanese clothing) costumes may enter the costume judging.

Skits will allow (and always have allowed) entrants to have any costume they wish.

beautiful! alright thank you! :) i'm excited to keep coming up with skit ideas now!