Author Topic: Tips on making wings!  (Read 8875 times)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
Tips on making wings!
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »
I am making wings for these two: http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t343/Zeldadudeman/?action=view&current=1219019358536.jpg&
But the only wings that i have made are tiny moogle wings out of coat hangers. I want to make these life about life size (most likely a tad smaller to get through doors) and I want to make Flandre's (the blonde one) light up. I got a plan to make them light up but I have no clue what to make them out of. Coat hangers won't be strong enough.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
Re: Tips on making wings!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:54 pm »
What you might want to consider is to make the wings out of PVC pipe.  Use a heat gun to melt and bend where needed.  Run a simple strand of Christmas lights through the pipes.  cut holes for the lights to pop out of.  Using a cast resin/mold kit, make the crystals with a "hole" in the top for the lights.  I believe that you can also get a pigment to add to the casting resin for the different colors which will add to the effect.  Make the holes in the pipe and the top of the resin crystals to fit together, and glue them in.  Add a "plug" to the end of the pipe.  Also you want to make sure that you do not seal up the pipes permanently so if you need to change your lights out you can.

You are going to want to make a body harness for these wings and an area for a battery pack. 

However traditional Christmas lights eat batteries like no body's business.  Go with an LED strand of lights.  They take less to run.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 05:20:55 pm »
Hmm, only problem is I lack a heat gun and resin skills. I think my mom used to work with resin before I was born.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »
This seems like a good tutorial. I'd recommend going with plain white Christmas lights if you use this method, it's a lot easier than manually matching each color up with the right crystal.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:38:14 am »
This seems like a good tutorial. I'd recommend going with plain white Christmas lights if you use this method, it's a lot easier than manually matching each color up with the right crystal.

yeah thats what i had in mind but casting the crystals with resin instead.  good luck!

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:53:40 am »
Thanks, that tutorial gives me a good idea where to start. I tlaked to my mom about working with Resin and she told to try and stay away with it if I can since it's so toxic. Is there a kind of plastic that I can cut out and glue? People can get rowdy and I don't trust paper to stay intact

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:42 am »
Thanks, that tutorial gives me a good idea where to start. I tlaked to my mom about working with Resin and she told to try and stay away with it if I can since it's so toxic. Is there a kind of plastic that I can cut out and glue? People can get rowdy and I don't trust paper to stay intact

Actually there are some resins out there that are not toxic and have almost no smell at all.  I use some in my kitchen with the windows closed and no mask on.  Can't smell a thing.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:53:22 pm »
really could you send me info on them?
Like I said it's been nearly 20 years since my mom worked with the stuff

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 03:58:40 am »
In order to bend PVC and it still look nice and not kinked, pour sand in the pipe and tape the ends closed. When making my harness I actually found it easier to heat the sand first in the oven using a pie pan, then pour it in. Make sure you have a metal funnel for this technique though >.<

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.342125582536257.80172.100002164553932&type=3

For demon wing style though, you can find heavy gauge wire at a farm and ranch store (I got 100' of 14 gauge galvanized steel wire for $6.99 at Coastal Farm and Ranch in The Dalles, OR) You could still use the Christmas lights, just wrap them around the wire before you sew or glue the fabric onto the wire. The light will probably show through the material, or perhaps you can cut holes for the light to peek through. In a tutorial I went off of it reccomended the next heavy gauge wire, but I felt 14 gauge would be sturdy enough in addition to the cheaper cost. I'll see once I finish my demon wings, but it looks like wire would be more ideal for what you're looking for rather than PVC piping. Remember though, It is usually better to have one long stretch of wire for both wings (rather than one wire per wing) for balance and ease to attach to a harness. Also remember to sand the ends of the wire so you don't scratch/stab everything they touch.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:06 am »
 :D
really could you send me info on them?
Like I said it's been nearly 20 years since my mom worked with the stuff

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Envirotex+Lite&btnG=

This is the google search for one product you can get at Michael's and JoAnns.  It's not that expensive and you can take your time with laying it down.  The draw back to this is that it takes a couple days to dry and sometimes even when you get a 50/50 mix it sometimes does not harden but stays tacky.  Can never figure out why that happens.

You can also try smoothcast 321

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-S/c1120_1210/index.html

This stuff you have to mix and put down in a couple minutes cause it hardens really fast.  It's a bit more expensive and you have to order it online.  the good thing about this stuff is if you want to work fast it is ready for sanding in less then 1.5hrs. 

neither of these products have a harsh odor.  It's a very slight smell.  HOWEVER, do not pour excess down your drain.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:05 am »
Also hair dryers work as an alternative to heat guns. And if you don't want to work with resin I've seen some people use sheets of plastic like you would find at the hardware store and then mold it together.

Here this may help: http://cosholic.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/flandres-wings-more-wip/

It looks like this (http://nya-nyaa.deviantart.com/art/Wing-s-Crystals-process-265261278) girl used those dividers that you would find in binders.

Honestly I think resin would be a bit too heavy and would weigh down the wings alot! Good luck!! (:
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:14:19 pm »
I'll keep the sand idea in mind
Ichigo is right about resin maybe being too heavy, my Flandre is tiny and I want to not weigh her down that much so she can be free to run around, jump and skip like the little girl she is
But it's good to know there are safe resins out there for future costumes
Thanks!

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 08:18:30 am »
I'll keep the sand idea in mind
Ichigo is right about resin maybe being too heavy, my Flandre is tiny and I want to not weigh her down that much so she can be free to run around, jump and skip like the little girl she is
But it's good to know there are safe resins out there for future costumes
Thanks!

Here is an idea.  The dudes that make Wonderflex also make Fosshape.  Its a thick kinda cotton/felt like material.  You can cut it to shape, sew it (if you want), and with a heat gun it will turn rigid like wonderflex does.  However bear in mind that Fosshape has a bit of shrinkage to it when it heats up.  Light weight and rigid.  Might be your best bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVPimbJfSg

here is a good tutorial.  she uses a steamer to heat this but a heat gun works too.  I don't think a hair dryer will work.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:02:05 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRshG_YdySA&list=FL42Kg8i7Ykx4v0fGZ7ePoFg&index=23&feature=plpp_video
Although he says to use the thin walled PVC and not the SCH40, I used SCH40 at about the same temperature (525 degrees) and it worked out pretty well. It would probably be easier to work with thin walled PVC though, but my closest home depot didn't carry any.

This is the original tutorial I was going off of for mine when working with the concept: http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials/angelwings.php
They also have some more things you might be able to use in their tutorial section.

Unfortunately I can't find my original tutorial on demon wings right now. Perhaps later it'll pop up.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 11:20:22 am »
Okay, thanks. I think I have an idea of what I am going to do. I got some supplies to experiment with and I'll see what happens!