Author Topic: Starting an anime club  (Read 4262 times)

Offline kayrarara

• Sailor Scout
Starting an anime club
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »
So I'm going to attempt to start an anime club at my school, but I'm not sure what all activities to do in the club, so I will gladly take all suggestions!

Far far, all I thought of was:
-anime viewings
-cosplaying/photoshoots
-discussions

Obviously, the list is lacking, so I ask all you creative people out there to help me! Please!

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
Re: Starting an anime club
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:20:12 am »
So I know that this is pretty late, but... You could read manga and discuss it, kind of like a book club of sorts. You can play anime-themed video games and board games, too. And discuss and/or show off collections.

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:40:15 am »
Having been in such a club for nearly a decade, here's some further ideas to consider for the next year:

Halloween dance, - during this, show some sort of "horror" anime (the best responses we got were from Vampire Hunter D and Blood X), which is better if you have multiple rooms
Tanabata - A July celebration, we would do this at some point in June
Valentine's Day chocolate sale - Along with selling chocolates, explaining that the Japanese have the females give chocolates to the males, which return the favor on March 14
Tea Ceremony demonstration - if you know someone familiar with this tradition, awesome; if not, see if you can find a connection here
Japanese Garden - I'm not sure how close you live to Portland, but if it's feasible, this is an amazing experience; you might even want to consider doing volunteering work there
Kodomo ni Hi - Organize a trip to an elementary school or preschool and do something for Children's Day (We showed the old Big Bird Goes to Japan video and colored some carp kites)
Holiday celebration - Technically Christmas, but we also acknowledged Hanukkah (for me, mostly) and would have food, anime, and a white elephant event; we also did this type of thing at a member's house for a private club-members-only party
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:19:07 pm »
Find out about different holidays, celebrate the New Year Japanese style!
If someone joins your club with a lot of experience in something cosplay or anime related, like sewing or photographing cosplays, prop making, anime-style drawing, try to have them set up fun, artistic workshops.
Going with the board-game idea above, you could work together to make an anime-themed board game with all your favorite characters.
Make anime skits.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline Takeshi-San

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:05:24 pm »
Do you know where Gladstone is? When I attended high school there, myself and one of my best friends started the anime club there. And it seems that even after we both left that the people we left in charge of it are taking awesome care of it and is still running (which is extraordinary since Gladstone High School is very small; less than one thousand students). The ideas you listed were basically all what we did. Primarily the anime viewing and discussion.

It really helped that we had the best teacher administrator we could ever ask for. She had no idea what she was getting herself into when she joined on-board with us but she's sort of become an honorary-otaku amongst us. Haha. :) She always brought in snacks for us and would pitch in her ideas on what we could watch (genre wise. She didn't know the names of any of them). We even got her into yaoi. That was awesome lol.
K-Con '14 Plans
Sanji and Law - "One Piece" / Wolfwood - "Trigun" / Mako and Wan - "Legend of Korra"

Offline hotdgumi

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
What I would do if I were in an anime club (really wish I was) is watch anime, try to go to conventions together, if there are any anime movies coming out in theatres (I think madoka came out in oregon a while ago I missed it  :'( ) if they sound interesting plan a "movie date" with the group and go out to dinner and what not hmmm.....have mini cosplay contests, hang out? Thats my input on it hope that helped!  ;D
2014 Kumoricon cosplaying as magnet Megurine Luka, Matryoshka Luka, and random cat anime girl :D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:40:11 pm »
I'm not sure if this would work for high schools or not, but at the college I used to attend, established clubs can earn funds by doing various events.  Using these funds, clubs can pay for trips and such.  Our club would usually go to Sakuracon, but have gone to Kumoricon, as well as Anime Expo and Anime Evolution.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Sithicus

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »
If any of you live near or around Portland we have a non-school anime meetup / facebook group. The group is called Portland Otaku and we have meetups once a month to get together at my place to watch anime and hang out. It isn't really a strict club; just a group for people who like anime to watch together and share images and such.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/382291491826218/