Author Topic: Deodorant in Goodie Bags  (Read 10900 times)

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
    • Cosplay CONfidential Youtube Channel
Deodorant in Goodie Bags
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:36:15 am »
Okay, so this year we all got Magic cards in our blue Kumoricon bags. I would like to suggest that a regular addition to these bags would be mini-deodorant sticks.
I'm sure that plenty of people simply forget to pack their own for the trip to k-con, or perhaps they forget about it while they're worried about their cosplay. And lets face it, some people just don't think about it at all. Giving everyone who attends the con a small stick of it wouldn't offend anyone in particular, and I'm sure it would help free us from nerd smog.

What do you think?

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
Re: Deodorant in Goodie Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:04:44 am »
Sounds like a good idea to me.  <.< >.>

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:52:39 am »
Not a good use of money for what is basically a joke. (And no, you can't just get a "sponsorship" for this either.)
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:54 am »
This has been suggested at past cons (I remember it from the Sakura Con forums, long ago). Reasons why it's not a good idea:

1. Some people, who do keep themselves fresh, might consider it insulting.
2. The cause of smelliness has more to do with excessive activity, overheated costumes, and sometimes simply being around too many people in enclosed spaces.
3. Some people, unfortunately, smell like that outside of cons, too.
4. Deodorant can't replace showers, which are the true solution.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:11:12 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:27:39 am »
while it does SEEM like a good idea i can tell you even with my deodorant and showers i still had a smell =/

the only thing i could see being a "good" idea (which still might be insulting to some and wouldn't get sponsored) is a small thing of fabreeze how many times a costume is worn is usually the reason in my experience.
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:48:58 am »
Every once in a while cosmetic / personal care companies try some very STRANGE ad campaigns:

Now, if a deodorant company ever did an ANIME-themed product launch with trial sizes, that might make an interesting goodie if it weren't too difficult or expensive to acquire in quantity.
Gawd, what would it SMELL like?

(this also brings up gender preferences for smells...)

Also, what JeffT said about insults - in some cultures, offering a NAPKIN at a table is a slight, because you are implying that your guests will be a KLUTZ or a SLOB. Strange.

Edit:
Gendo: Singing the TROLOLOLO song!
Rei: Elektra complex much?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:46:32 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:02:26 am »
i take a bath every single day to (sometimes twice at cons) to make sure that i dont have such a thing as cosplay funk--

my point is it depends on the person
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:23 am »
The con honestly didn't smell too horrible until exactly the point of the beginning of the rave. When everyone took their first jump, that was the precise moment of con funk. And even then, only the raves were raunchy.

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
Okay, really guys?
First of all, I think someone like Speed Stick would totally sponsor one of our events.
Second, you're worried about offending people? Well they offended people's noses first. I'm not trying to be funny or catty or something, but it's very inconsiderate to go to a huge con of people reeking like body odor.
You're absolutely right that showers work much better. But it's not like we can make people shower more often. I think deodorant would seriously help.
How many people do you really think would open a bag that EVERYONE gets, find a small deodorant stick, and say, "Oh my god! How dare they! That's so mean! I hate you Kumoricon!"
As far as smell preferences, if they really had one, they'd bring their own deodorant. We should only hope that when presented with a choice, they take the deodorant stick given to them rather than sweat and bacteria.

Well that's my rant. It may seem quite serious, but please believe that I don't feel passionately about this or anything, and am not willing to start arguing with people about it. I'm not saying any of you are, I've just had people try to start silly arguments with me over simpler things. I just think it would be a really good idea and is worth serious consideration. The benefits of it outweigh, in my opinion, any negative sides.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:36:23 am »
it's not really be something to be insulted with-- then again some people are REALLY sensitive..

BUT i dont think there's such a thing as a unisex deodorant though... i could be wrong~
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 09:44:23 am »
Would you be okay with Speed Stick logos plastered around the con, ruining immersion?

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 09:51:44 am »
Ruining what?
Oh! I know! Old Spice!
I don't really like how old spice smells, but it's better than b.o. and they'd totally sponsor k-con. Their commercials are ridiculous and hilarious. Maybe they'd send "the man your man could smell like" to give the con a public service announcement.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 09:52:50 am »
Same question still stands. Do you want Kumoricon covered in deodorant advertisements and posters?

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56:54 am »
Ruining what?
Oh! I know! Old Spice!
I don't really like how old spice smells, but it's better than b.o. and they'd totally sponsor k-con. Their commercials are ridiculous and hilarious. Maybe they'd send "the man your man could smell like" to give the con a public service announcement.

I'd like to consider not showering as offensive behavior, and we can just send them off of con grounds until they've cleaned up. Deodorant is not the solution, it's only part of it.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 10:11:52 am »
There was one particularly egregious case of an individual cosplaying a large, tired pokemon. The pokemon didn't smell, but the cosplayer did, and I don't imagine that was canon. However, I don't think I or any of you would have had the balls to go up to this person and say, with any sort of phrasing, "dude, you smell, get out and don't come back until you smell like the Rose Test Garden."

I just held my breath until that person was out of noseshot.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 03:23:30 pm »
yeah there is no "nice" way of asking someone to go freshen up..... hence why i always ask my friends to tell me if i smell =/ (and then they never tell me >.<)
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »
I say we officially declare Jon Bressler as the Kumoricon "Odor Sniffer" because he won't be afraid to tell you that you stink to your face  ;D

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 03:34:48 pm »
Very true, but to go through sniffing otaku all day? I don't think you could pay him (or anyone) enough for that job. ;)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 09:01:16 pm »
Couple of issues, things like soap and deodernt smell, even unopened and in a plastic bag will make everything else smell like it,
When sending things to our troops they ask to not send food with soap and deodernt because no matter how much you bag it the food will taste bad.
And people have sensitivites I wouldn't want the con swag to be strong scented.

Cost wouldnt be too bad if the right sale and coupon situations/preordering quanities, but when talking god knows how many swag bags, I have thought about the plausablitiy of having some sort of toiletries basket (kinda like you see in nice restaurants) in convention's bathrooms but I don't think hotels would allow it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline kayu1111

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:33 pm »
Honestly, the title alone of this thread made me laugh. Kudos.

And in response to the idea, I think the logistics and cost of it might pose a problem, but it's not a bad idea. Just like SakuraCon had a cosplay repair station (an idea Kumoricon should adopt, btw) a sort of self-care station would be excellent too. Hotels provide things like soap, shampoo and band aids, but some things they don't provide like deodorant could be sold by the con. I'm attempting to brain storm other things.......some makeup, perhaps?
:: KumoriCon 2014 ::
Zenya (Sweet Pool)
Akira (Togainu no Chi)
Praxis (Starfighter)
Sabitsuki (.flow)
Kagura (Gintama)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:53:28 pm »
I remember having a thread/topic like this many years ago, which included soap ad an option.  :D  As I recall, Foamy the Squirrel was a top motivator for the discussion...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 11:06:55 pm »
Anyone remember the comic strip that guy did a few years ago after attending our con?

I'm sorry I don't remember his name.  I know I saved it, though...

His plan? Turn the badges into a sort of air freshener, like the kind people hang from the mirror in their car.

(Obviously tongue-in-cheek, and honestly the thought of 1,000 air fresheners in a single room is possibly more nauseating than body odor... Still, I thought it was funny and creative.)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 11:07:59 pm »
One word: allergies.

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »
I don't ever seem to notice this mysterious 'con funk' but I move around a lot, so I'm never around a certain person for very long... I think for the most part, con goers are fairly good about taking care of themselves.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 03:56:04 pm »
Honestly, the title alone of this thread made me laugh. Kudos.

And in response to the idea, I think the logistics and cost of it might pose a problem, but it's not a bad idea. Just like SakuraCon had a cosplay repair station (an idea Kumoricon should adopt, btw) a sort of self-care station would be excellent too. Hotels provide things like soap, shampoo and band aids, but some things they don't provide like deodorant could be sold by the con. I'm attempting to brain storm other things.......some makeup, perhaps?

We actually did have some cosplay first-aid supplies (needles/thread, glue gun, safety pins) at the Hilton Info Booth, though it doesn't seem to have been widely known. Hopefully next year we can get some signage to that effect.

But as others have observed, the real solution to con funk isn't deodorant, perfume, or any suchlike... it's bathing. I can sympathize with those who don't have enough money for a hotel room, but I don't see any practical way the con could provide the showers that they need.

Antiperspirant would help a little, but deodorants and perfumes don't cover con funk as much as they meld into some unholy amalgam of "per-funk". And for those of us who react badly to strong-smelling perfumes, it can be literally nauseating or worse.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Katacus

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 04:55:59 pm »
Perhaps a panel on proper daily hygiene?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 05:30:30 pm »
^ I love this idea! ...but who should run it?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »
Well wait, some people are allergic or sensitive to chemicals in deodorant sticks. Or they prefer to use those after-shower mist things. Some have sensitive skin or their sinuses are sensitive to "fragrance". I for one am irated by anyone within range of my nose wearing any kind of fragrance; It sets my nose off, I get a headache and I start to feel nauseated in general.

Honestly if this became a con in that started to smell in the other direction of the spectrum I would not attend anymore. It sounds drastic but it's easier to put up with some sweat funk (good or bad) then holding a fan constantly to air away perfumes and other such fragrances. Let's not even get started about how some people just stink more then others naturally (stinky feet, anyone?).

That said. I sweat a lot. But I don't smell if I take showers. And most bought costumes from China and such are made of poly-blends, which makes you sweat more. And I've tried a bunch of different deodorants and anti-antiperspirants, which just help with the bacteria that make the smell and don't stop the sweat (cause it's healthy e_e).

Really, just a few public announcements about cleaning costumes, airing them out and showering would fix a lot.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »
I don't think the "not showering" thing is as big a problem as you guys are making it out to be. Okay, yes, some people come to K-con without having showered for days, and then don't shower for the rest of the weekend. They'd probably just make a funny face when they found deodorant in their swag bag and say, "wtf is this? Where's my Magic: the gathering cards?"
BUT, I think a lot more people may shower, but just don't put on deodorant, because either they forget, or because it isn't part of their habit. Having some deodorant available for them would hugely help, I'm sure.
There's also plenty of non-stink deodorant available. I know that sounds redundant, but I meant it's pretty much odorless, and just focuses on blocking odors.
So maybe a stick in every swag bag would be a little overkill, but I think it would be cool to have a basket or something of some small deodorant sticks that people could discreetly grab for themselves if they feel so inclined. I know I've personally had days, in hot weather or something, where the first application of deodorant didn't seem to last and I find myself half way through the day beginning to stink. It sucks!
But anyway, having something available and OBVIOUS would be cool. Like, "Hi welcome to the info desk, there's a basket of deodorant here. Right here. Beside me. How can I help you?" Then if one person in a group decides to pick it up, they can bug their stinky friends to wear it so we don't have to bug them.

Oh! New idea!
A smokey the bear campaign, of sorts! "Only you can prevent con-funk!" and just have it posted, and talked about, with some catchy mascot! With the forest fires, just one person has to take it to heart and be like, "I can prevent this forest fire! And I'm going to, like a boss!" I'll bet people would get just as stoked about preventing con funk!
Lol

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:45 am »
Regarding the allergies, people could just choose not to use said product...

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 01:19:24 am »
Scent based allergies are not limited to one using that product. It could be one smelling it. Such as there are people (like my whole family) who avoid the scented candle aisle, air fresheners and any thing that has added fragrance. I actually get a headache from being around someone with a strong perfume and have to breathe through my shirt sleeve, and still get sick (had to be near a girl with a strong perfume for a 4 hour lecture and we couldn't just move seats).
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 04:12:53 am »
Fair enough...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 08:32:50 am »
Scent based allergies are not limited to one using that product. It could be one smelling it. Such as there are people (like my whole family) who avoid the scented candle aisle, air fresheners and any thing that has added fragrance. I actually get a headache from being around someone with a strong perfume and have to breathe through my shirt sleeve, and still get sick (had to be near a girl with a strong perfume for a 4 hour lecture and we couldn't just move seats).

Word, I avoid the  bath and body works store at the mall even just walking past ew

Offline Hydra

• Oni
    • Cosplay CONfidentiel FAN PAGE
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 07:33:59 pm »
Yeah, I get the idea but I agree with the reasons it is a bad idea. People will be insulted, allergies, not the cons responsibility to make sure people take care of themselves, and providing it won't automatically make people use it if they don't use it already. Etc, etc. I just think it would be a bit pushy and could be taken the wrong way entirely. Or the right way which could still be insulting. lol
*~*Founder and Leader of Cosplay CONfidential*~*

http://www.facebook.com/cosconnw

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »
The only time I noticed any HOBO* this year was at the raves.  When we walked through the doors, my husband actually winced and let out a wry burst of laughter, then made a beeline for the less-crowded back of the room (where the reek was less concentrated) to "get used to it".  (I followed him - it was a good idea!)  Other than that, though, no major incidents as far as we were concerned.

Perhaps somebody could do an Old Spice-style cosplay contest skit, advising attendees on how to deodorize?   ;)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
On the subject of deodorant, the dollar tree now takes coupons, and picked up 3 sticks of brut deoderant for free
this is the couponing web site I use

http://www.frugallivingnw.com/

Just save the coupon inserts from the sunday paper.  I never pay for toothpaste

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 07:49:47 am »
Oh! New idea!
A smokey the bear campaign, of sorts! "Only you can prevent con-funk!" and just have it posted, and talked about, with some catchy mascot! With the forest fires, just one person has to take it to heart and be like, "I can prevent this forest fire! And I'm going to, like a boss!" I'll bet people would get just as stoked about preventing con funk!
Lol

Lmao, absolutely hilarious, and I love that idea. I could see a character like Konata (Lucky Star) or Renge (Host Club) doing something like that.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying: