Author Topic: Talking about cosplay with people who don't cosplay...  (Read 3316 times)

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
Talking about cosplay with people who don't cosplay...
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:25 am »
What are your experiences with talking about cosplay to people who don't cosplay?  Tell stories, show youtube videos, give examples or anything.

(This might be more appropriate in another forum but I wasn't sure)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:07:10 am by princess_of_zeal »

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
Re: Talking about cosplay with people who don't cosplay...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:11:25 am »
Actually, I'm on the other end of that. I generally don't cosplay, cause when I'm at con, I need to be dressed practically in order to do my job the best.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 12:13:31 am »
To the outside world, I generally use the word, "costume" otherwise I got to give the whole anime, anime con speel.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:32:41 am by Kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:22:31 am »
Jeez, it's so awkward >.<

Since I'm still young (aka, middle school x3) I get a lot of nasty comments about anime/manga. Like, 'why do you like that weird [enter racial slur here] stuff.' Then I'm always just like, 'BRO HOLD UP. NO INSULTIN' MY HERITAGE, AIGHT? NOW THIS STUFF IS FREAKIN' AMAZING D8< LIKE YOU CAN DRAW ANY BETTER. YOU HARDLY KNOW THE ALPHABET FOO. THE ONLY WORDS YOU SEEM TO KNOW ARE SWAG, BEAST, AND CURSES.'......Kay, I'm not actually like that.

I tend to just give a brief explanation and quickly leave the situation with a timid look :'3

When I'm talking to grown-ups I usually just tell them it's a convention for costumes and anime and that's usually where it ends...However, my mother just LOVES to tell them about how I 'cosplay as my favorite anime characters' which thus makes the conversation more in detail 8I Thanks mom.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:14:10 am »
When I'm talking to grown-ups I usually just tell them it's a convention for costumes and anime and that's usually where it ends...However, my mother just LOVES to tell them about how I 'cosplay as my favorite anime characters' which thus makes the conversation more in detail 8I Thanks mom.

Does she follow that up with, "Ooh! Honey! Show them the pictures!"?  ;D

When I worked retail, I had a bunch of people that ended up requesting to be my friend on Facebook.  Many of them were adults with kids of their own. I think I may have put them in a special group that gave them limited access to some of my stuff.  However, that did not stop the pictures that people tagged me in from appearing in their feeds.  I had a few questions about that.  XD

"Sooo.. explain the pink dress to me."

I would usually give them the Cliffs Notes version:

"It's a place where people dress up like their favorite characters from shows.  I'm weird and my favorite character is a girl."

Never had anyone give me any guff about it, though.  Maybe people talk bad behind my back, but if I don't know about it, then I don't care!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:16:40 am by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 02:01:20 am »
I guess since I created this, I should add to it.  :P

I just say I cosplay.  When they give me weird looks like they don't understand, I explain in full detail.  I have some co-workers that want to go to cosplay conventions now.  (They're in their 40s)  Some people joke about it in a positive manner saying I should wear one of my wigs to work someday.  Some of them want me to cosplay on Halloween.  Everyone already knows I'm not exactly normal and so when I talk about this, they're not overly shocked.  No one really treats me badly and worse case, they think I'm a harmless crazy person.  ;)

Offline SpaceCubaLikesConan

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:26:48 am »
I just explain it to people. I even used to cosplay to school before I graduated. Everyone got used to it because  was "That Armenian girl that dresses weird". I dress funky even when I'm not in cosplay, so it's no big shocker to people.
2014 line-up:

Robin- Young Justice
Sailor Vulcan - Sailor Moon/Star Trek crack crossover
Wiccan - Young Avengers
Allison Argent - Teen Wolf

Cons:
-Kumoricon
- BITEcon

Offline Tomecko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:28:04 pm »
When I talk about it to coworkers or customers (I work retail), I usually just say I make costumes in my spare time and go to costuming conventions. My younger coworkers know what anime is and think it's cool, but it's always a long-winded explanation if anyone asks me what 'anime' is.

I did have one customer who would speak really condescendingly to me about my hobby, but after several conversations where I would speak about cosplaying with nothing but enthusiasm and pride, he seemed to understand that I was never going to be shy or ashamed about it, and now he occasionally asks when my next convention is, and if I'm going to dress up as anyone he knows of.

I usually go all-out on Halloween (though I've never worn an actual cosplay, 'cuz I don't want to spend all day explaining who I am), and have actually directed several customers who asked to some great online wig shops.

|DeviantArt|Cosplay.com|
My Etsy shop:

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »
I usually get asked "what is all this -general wave in the direction of giant mass of cosplayers-?" when at cons. so I just tell them "the internet is here."

seems to sum it up.

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:46 pm »
That's a really good way to sum it up.

I just explain that it's fun costumes and stuff and like Halloween that's been refined and focused. Pay 15$ on a ****** wig for Halloween or go buy a cosplay wig for 5 more dollars? Hmmm~ :)
I've told my mom about it but she still doesn't understand everything that happens at cons. And, I don't think she will lol

(Modified language per code of conduct - @random)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:52:57 am by @random »
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
    • Cosplay CONfidential Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 11:44:35 pm »
Hm, since cosplay just stands for costume play, shouldn't we refer to the act of dressing up as our characters as cosplaying, but then talk about the outfits themselves as costumes, instead of cosplays? Like, "I am going to cosplay a character from dbz this year. Do you have any dragonball z costumes?" instead of, "Do you have any dragonball z cosplays?"
Obviously it doesn't really matter, since everyone at the con will know what you're talking about if you say either one, but when talkin' to muggles, the distinction would probably help.

Personally I don't really get sqeamy about telling people about my costumes. I'm one of those "thinks he's better looking than he actually is" and "has people skills" people, so I say I'm a total geek with a sense of pride!
Word.

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:17:35 pm »
One of my co-workers came from Japan.  She was like "You're so silly.  You must know more about Japanese culture than I do now!"  (She wasn't being rude, she was more so in shock.  Lol)

Offline Kdskc

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »
Jeez, it's so awkward >.<

Since I'm still young (aka, middle school x3) I get a lot of nasty comments about anime/manga. Like, 'why do you like that weird [enter racial slur here] stuff.' Then I'm always just like, 'BRO HOLD UP. NO INSULTIN' MY HERITAGE, AIGHT? NOW THIS STUFF IS FREAKIN' AMAZING D8< LIKE YOU CAN DRAW ANY BETTER. YOU HARDLY KNOW THE ALPHABET FOO. THE ONLY WORDS YOU SEEM TO KNOW ARE SWAG, BEAST, AND CURSES.'......Kay, I'm not actually like that.

I tend to just give a brief explanation and quickly leave the situation with a timid look :'3

I'm in middle school, too, and I pretty much give a quick explanation and feel all awkward when they are just like "Oh.  That's cool" with this expression like "What the heck is wrong with you??? That is soooo weird!!!".  But, whatever.  They can think whatever they want, because I think it's awesome and super fun! :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:45:11 pm by Kdskc »
Cosplay ideas for KumoriCon 2014:
Historia Reiss/Christa Renz - Shingeki no Kyojin
Levi - Shingeki no Kyojin
Shion - No. 6

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »
When talking to a non-fan about my hobbies, I usually just explain that I do amateur costuming, and mention that I own about a million wigs and I've made a few ballgowns and things.  All true, and it gets the idea across without requiring a lot of backstory and explanation.

When approached by ordinary people at conventions (which happens a lot, for some reason...maybe I have a non-threatening face?), I tell them that it's a way for fans to show off their costume-making skills and enjoy acting out their favorite scenes together.

But my favorite reaction from a (then-)non-cosplayer was my (then-)boyfriend, who used to make odd faces whenever I happily told him, "I'm wearing So-And-So to Whatevercon this month!"  I finally got him to confess that it sounded like I was planning to flay them and wear their skin!   ;D  He's gradually becoming a cosplayer himself, but he still insists on calling it "my Milo costume", instead of declaring his intent to wear Milo to Kumoricon.

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »
I really say costume to other people when I mention that I need to buy stuff for it. Unless I'm with my closest friends. Whether they love anime or not OR they cosplay or not, I say cosplay.

(Going off-topic for a bit, One of the best moments of my life happened when I was helping work at a garage sale for my missions team (which, I quit because i won't be able to raise enough money this year D: ) and I was with this girl I met there. She stuck with me for a bit and I didn't really know about her much, except she loved video games. i saw a bat that I really wanted to buy for my FEM! Scout cosplay this year, so I tell her "I'm gonna look at these bats, then maybe buy one for a future...uhh...COSTUME I'm gonna do." After i said that, she mentioned something about Scout (or cosplaying, I guess.) and I just FREAKED OUT. She said COSPLAY and she loves TF2. And because of that, we became besties.)
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3