Author Topic: Food at the con?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
Food at the con?
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:16:11 pm »
Just a quick question. Will there be any food vendors of any sort at the con? Or would it be better to just walk nearby to a restaurant?

Offline Phantom

• Cabbit
Re: Food at the con?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 04:32:34 pm »
You could buy pizza by the slice, at the hotel. I got that a few times, last year.  There was also another area in the hotel that sold regular snack food and the hotel restaurant had a special, cheaper con menu.

There is also a Subway fast food place nearby and a Thai restaurant that has good sized portions.  So, you could go with a friend to the Thai place and split the cost of an entree and still get plenty to eat.

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:37:09 pm »
Alrighty. Thanks!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:19 am »
There's also a new Asian mini mart (caleed Asian Mini Mart) that just opened up near the Starbuck's, as well as a farmer's market, and a Plaid Pantry.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:31 am »
There is a restaurant in the Hilton, but it is pretty pricy. They had a Kumoricon special menu, but really... $10+ (before tax) for macaroni and cheese? -_-

I never saw the Subway or any other places last year, but the Plaid Pantry pretty much saved me and it was only a block away from the convention. I have a gluten intolerance (Celiac disease's symptoms) so what little there was to choose from last year was even more-so limited and Plaid Pantry pretty much saved the day. Nothing beats a real meal though...
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:31 am »
The subway, as well as the new mini-mart and starbucks, is just across the park from the Hilton Hotel.

The Hilton will also have concessions stands out in their main lobby again this year.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:16:11 am by Kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:26:04 am »
I would avoid buying food at the con if you could. Food they offer in the hotels is going to be very expensive. There is a subway, Starbucks, an Italian restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, plaid pantry, the Asian market, and a farmers market till about 2 Saturday and Sunday where you can get some food.

In the guide you get there should me a map with food locations marked on it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:26:27 am by nikkiolie »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:40 pm »
Also what ever your beverage of choice is, grab some before con, same goes for snacks. Opt for the 6 pack bottles of soft drinks instead of cans because they can be sealed and stored in your bag, and or one of those assortmant of chips you see at the store for sack lunches

This time of year lunch snacks are on sale too to get ready for back to school, I got a bunch of rice krispy treats, cereal treat bars and gummie snacks for dirt cheap.

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:44:06 am »
Remember though, water is the best way to rehydrate whether it is hot out or not :3

I saw a guide provided by the hotel on places to eat and the map was one of the most confusing maps I've ever seen. I'm hoping to check out the farmer's market this year since I didn't even get to explore over there last year.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline chanellelynn

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:02 pm »
Food will always be a priority when it comes to this con, theres a lot of walking involved and the heat can get to you here. Definitely hit the stores tomorrow if not already and check out the savings for sandwiches and drinks. Winco is always good on sub sandwiches for approx 4 bucks each, they can feed up to several meals a day sliced.

Freeze some water overnight, when you take it out of the freezer in the morning the water should be almost fully melted and cold to last all day long.

Offline AshleyMonMon

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:11:44 pm »
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A MADE SANDWICH AT THE HOTELS. MY FRIEND LAST YEAR ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS HAD STOMACH TROUBLE AFTER EATING A PREMADE SANDWICH.
Kumoricon 2015

Yuki Cross (Human and Vampire)

XD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:01 pm »
Remember though, water is the best way to rehydrate whether it is hot out or not

Oh I know, but I have never had a problem finding water at con, most pannel rooms have a couple of pitchers of ice water and glasses for free.  Where the sodas at a hotel are 3 bucks a bottle
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 11:50:11 pm »
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A MADE SANDWICH AT THE HOTELS. MY FRIEND LAST YEAR ALONG WITH MANY OTHERS HAD STOMACH TROUBLE AFTER EATING A PREMADE SANDWICH.
thx for letting us know

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 01:25:32 am »
Subway pretty much saved my life last year, food-wise. Besides the breakfast at the hotel I stayed at, Subway was pretty much what I ate. Same thing for 2010, except it was Mcdonalds xD
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:05 am »
Last year, my friends and I got some great noshes at the farmer's market off to the side of the park.   ;D  Delicious stuff!  Too early for dinner, but it makes a stellar fresh-cooked lunch.

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Chibigami

• Oni
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:39 pm »
I can vouch for the Farmer's Market. It's easy, fast, and tasty!
There's pretty much everything. From Gumbo to Yakisoba. There's pizza, waffles, fruit, and coffee there. It's a nice variation of vendors that is affordable and fast. Really good if you're in a hurry. Also if you can drive or are willing to walk a bit, Ice Cream Rennisance is amazing. Bittersweet Choclate and Coffee are their best flavors. Sorry, otaku foodie rant.

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 01:04:12 pm »
I can vouch for the Farmer's Market. It's easy, fast, and tasty!
There's pretty much everything. From Gumbo to Yakisoba. There's pizza, waffles, fruit, and coffee there. It's a nice variation of vendors that is affordable and fast. Really good if you're in a hurry. Also if you can drive or are willing to walk a bit, Ice Cream Rennisance is amazing. Bittersweet Choclate and Coffee are their best flavors. Sorry, otaku foodie rant.
I've never actually been to the farmers market before :o I'll see if I can get some nommies there rather than eat Subway everyday xD
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:37:06 am »
I got to try the fried rice at the farmer's market. $5 a plate is a bit much but it was really awesome stuff.

the food map in our book is outdated. my party and I tried to go to burgerville that was in the book and found out that it was torn down a long time ago. That would have really sucked if we had walked. The next closest burgerville was on 4th plane, which luckily had the gluten free buns and on day 3 had a labor day sale of 5 cheeseburgers for $5. they only charged me for the gluten free buns once though. ^^
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 03:20:50 pm »
the food map in our book is outdated.

Sorry. It was provided to us from another source and we hadn't reviewed it for this year, but used the same one again. We'll have an up-to-date list in the future.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:59 pm »
Remember when I said I wouldn't rely on Subway this year? I kind of lied o_O

My mom and I stayed at the Hilton, so we had breakfast there (well, I ate half a parfait on Day 2 cause I had to be somewhere D: ) and then the rest of my meals and snacks consisted of a box of Pocky, midnight snacking in my hotel room, and anything else was Subway.
Good News and Bad News.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:26:16 am »
LOL... sounds a little like my diet during the con... day 0 all I had were some black beans, corn tortillas, and some yellow cheese (which I'm allergic to) all in one meal. Day 1 I had that fried rice plate (yay onion in contact with the veges... even more allergic to onion) then day 2 I had what was basically a candy bar until we went to plaid pantry and I was able to munch on 1/4 bag of grape gummy things. day 3 I had a pre-packaged bowl of cereal and finished off the grape gummies. I didn't feel very hungry during the con due to stomach shrinkage, but I know I was sure foggy headed. :(

At least I kept somewhat-hydrated.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:40 am »
That Thai place across the park made a killing, huh...