Author Topic: RPGs that don't suck  (Read 8100 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
RPGs that don't suck
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:05:52 am »
I want to know where they are. I rented Xenosaga II and took it back after one night because out of maybe an hour of gameplay all but maybe 15 minutes was cutscenes. If I want a movie I'll rent a movie - the special effects are definitely better. I played FFVII and tried to play FFX before and was somewhat disappointed with both, with all the cutscenes and restrictiveness. I'd really like to find something that feels more open like FFI was, or actually is open like Morrowind. Short of waiting for the sequel to Morrowind to arrive (which may or may not be this holiday season,) are there any console RPGs that will meet my criteria anymore?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:17:28 am »
Well, I am not up to date on the new rpg's but I can happily suggest some classic gems... :wink:

Try these out for the Ps1:

Dragon Warrior 7  (HUGE game, lots of fun old skool gameplay)

Suikoden
Suikoden II   (both awesome games, the sequel is INCREDIBLE, but also hard to find...)
The trick is not minding.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:29:05 am »
play ff1
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Kilik

• Cabbit
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 12:05:06 pm »
FFVII is not restrictive if you know how to play it. You need to do all the side quests, try to master all the materia, get all the limit breaks..etc... Half the fun of an RPG is just maxing out the stats. VII was not as bad as X in the cutscene dept, but still...you've gotta love the graphics on it.

Personally I enjoyed Skies of Arcadia and the Grandia series, as well as Shenmue I and II. If you're looking for freedom however, MMORPGs are your best way to go...so you're pretty much stuck to the computer.
"Kali-yuga show me the path!"

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 12:11:49 pm »
Quote from: "Waffles"
play ff1

I did. Read the first post, please.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Kilik

• Cabbit
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 12:16:37 pm »
Quote from: "guspasho"
Quote from: "Waffles"
play ff1

I did. Read the first post, please.

I did. You said you tried them. You can't "try" a good RPG. You have to get into them. I almost set X down because of the leveling system, but stuck with it and thoroughly enjoyed to story and gameplay.

<edit> And don't forget about blitzball...its a second RPG within the RPG...granted if you recruit the right players you'll be unbeatable, but hey? Putting up 12 goals in one game can be fun ya?
"Kali-yuga show me the path!"

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Oh, I know you did. I was responding to Waffles, who I'm not sure did. That was why I quoted him.

I loved FF1, the original, old-school NES game, it has become in many ways that first high I'm trying to reach again.

Anybody know how easy it is to find Dragon Warrior 7? I loved the first game and the sequels on the NES (and SNES?) but then they stopped bringing them to America, it seems. :(

FFX I tried out, the story looked somewhat interesting but it just felt too slow for me, and kept jumping all over the place without much explanation. I quit around the island where you met Wakka. I think if it were less cinematically-inclined I would have been less impatient with it and less likely to be critical of its plot.

Anyway, I didn't like it. I want to find a game that doesn't have those qualities that annoyed me rather than try to like them.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:41:32 pm »
Anybody know how easy it is to find Dragon Warrior 7? I loved the first game and the sequels on the NES (and SNES?) but then they stopped bringing them to America, it seems. :(

When I got DW7 I found it at a used cd/game store for like $15.  Lately I have seen it more often at more places, even like at some mall game stores like gamestop and EB.  

My favorite places to shop for old games are pawn shops.  I have found some AMAZINGLY rare and hard to find titles at dirt cheap prices.

Still, I don't imagine you'd have much trouble finding DW7, and if you loved the old NES games, then you will *LOVE* DW7, it will own your soul.  Awesome game.
The trick is not minding.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 01:52:34 pm »
Hmm... Well, I'm a big fan of tactics-rpg games. They tend to have a few cinematic scenes, but for the most part you can just skip them if you want. Some newer games in that genre that I've really enjoyed are the Nippon Ichi games (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle Tactics) and Growlanser. I know there's lots of other awesome games out there, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to play them lately. I haven't even been able to play Guild Wars for 2months... >_<

Also, I second rarnom's suggestions... good luck finding Suikoden 2 though. I played 3 for a while (haven't bought 4 yet) and found it pretty enjoyable as well.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:29 pm »
never ill never read tthe post darn i just did
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 03:46:54 pm »
FFXI possibly?
Thats a good game though you need to party for a long ass time which sucks

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 03:53:44 pm »
If you can get into it, DISGAEA!  Any of the Nippon Ichi series of PS2 games are simply rockin'.  I need to finish Phantom Brave soon so I can go hunt down a copy of Makai Kingdom... but Disgaea is the best of the bunch, IMO.  The humor is great, and the gameplay is fun.  The graphics are a bit simple, but that is about its only real weak point.

I too was disappointed in Xenosaga 2.  I was especially disappointed considering how much I -did- enjoy Xenosaga 1.

If you haven't tried Final Fantasy Tactics, I'd definitely recommend that, but advise that you'll need to spend a couple hours getting going before giving up on it.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 04:18:45 pm »
you want RPG's, go to the SNES, most of them are good. after that, very few good ones. im just trying to change that ^^;
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Roy_in_a_skirt

• Sailor Scout
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 05:03:14 pm »
I'd agree with the fact that you can't just "try" a good RPG, you have to get into the game. FFVII and VI are amazing once you get into them, but FFX was lacking, in my opinion.

Personally, I'm waiting for .hack//frägment to come out. If it really is like "The World" was in the other .hack games, it won't be restrictive at all, and best of all, you'll be playing with other people.
Kumoricon 2005 I went as Roy Mustang and wore a skirt on Monday with a note saying "I lost a bet with Hawkeye" attached to it, hence the username.
'06: Shuuhei
'07: Doumeki Haruka
'08: Kurogane
'09: Wolfwood (sort of)
'10: Gakuran-style uniform

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 07:58:28 pm »
Yah, Nippon Ichi games are the way to go if you like tqactical RPGs at all.  I personally am addicted to Nippon Ichi games.  The very first video game I ever played was a Nippon Ichi game, I can't recomend them enough.  But, on the other hand, I love Xenosaga.

As for other RPGs, I would say that if you haven't gone for all of the old school Final Fantasys, that's woth a shot.  (Anthology, Origins, ect)  As for openness, (please no one shoot me) but after playing FFX, you might like FFX-2, because it is super open.  Pretty much 80% of the game is side-quests that have their own seperate plot.  You can rush through the game to the end in only a few hours, but then you will have no idea why anything happened, you actually have to go out of your way to discover the whole plot.  I like that, but most people thought that FFX-2 was way too lame.  I will admit that the "Girl power! Lolz" got old quite quickly, but how can you not love a game with henshin sequences?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 08:11:10 pm »
The Dot Hack games don't get enough justice.

Awesome RPGs, and they also blend into the series really well.

Of course, no matter what, people will say FF is the best RPG game series.

However, some people get disappointed with them. For example, I didn't think FFX-2 needed to be made at all. FFX had a good ending. It made it seem more realistic as in saying "There isn't always a happy ending".

I think everyone should give the Dot Hack games a shot, though.

I found them very entertaining. Gate Hacking is just plain fun, too. :D

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 08:16:53 pm »
See, I just didn't care for .Hack, and I loved X-2.  I guess that it's all a mater of taste. (And if you want a sad ending, three of the four endings in X-2 are sad.)
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Zen

• Cabbit
    • Teh Facebook
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 01:52:03 pm »
A game I just bought on a wim because I saw it for cheap was Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I was immeadiately hooked on the game. One of the best single player rpgs I've played in a while.
"The World... Yes! Seek freedom, and your world will stand stretched out before your eyes. If the endless dream guides your spirits. Conquer it! Bear Conviction behind your flag!"

-Former Pirate King, Gol D. Roger

Offline rasetsutaisho

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.shinjinrui.cjb.net
Re: RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 05:45:44 am »
I want to know where they are. I rented Xenosaga II and took it back after one night because out of maybe an hour of gameplay all but maybe 15 minutes was cutscenes. If I want a movie I'll rent a movie - the special effects are definitely better. I played FFVII and tried to play FFX before and was somewhat disappointed with both, with all the cutscenes and restrictiveness. I'd really like to find something that feels more open like FFI was, or actually is open like Morrowind. Short of waiting for the sequel to Morrowind to arrive (which may or may not be this holiday season,) are there any console RPGs that will meet my criteria anymore?

go play xenogears if you havent already that game rock all the boys in the yard!!!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 08:58:28 am »
Im gonna have to say Kingdom Hearts. Its my fav of all time for RPG's

that said I have my list of loved RPGs

the FF series (I have all of them, even the ones only released in japan)
the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest Saga. Again All off them
Zelda (who didnt love these games)
Lufia (yes again all of them)
Disgea is a blast tho it never seems to end (can u get to level 9999 ROFL, (I did)

the entire .dot//Hack series was a mind trip in and of itself.

Dark cloud 1 and 2.  Challenging but fun with tons of minigames

Mega Man Battle Network for the GBA is quite entertaining as well.

thats all I can think up at the moment.  Im sure ill edit this later.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »
Oh man, I lve Digaea so much.  It is way underloved. How long did it take you to get to 9999?  Do levels start increasing faster, or does it just take years?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 03:27:52 pm »
*grins* alot of time, and I DO mean alot.  followd by frustration, then boredom, then falling asleep, then waking up and buying a game shark.
*evil laughter*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
RPGs that don't suck
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 05:19:27 pm »
game sharking your levels isn't really getting there is it?  Just go and get 300 levels of the exp boosting guys into one of your weapons and spend a lot of time going into the cave.  :D
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-