Author Topic: Kumoricon vs. SakuraCon?  (Read 6055 times)

Offline ToastyGir

• Oni
Kumoricon vs. SakuraCon?
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:36 am »
I've been going to Kumoricon for three years now and I'd have to say this year was my least favorite so far. There was an explosion of trolls and ponies which was not to my liking. When I go to an anime convention I expect things Japanese related. I do love the location of Kumoricon and there is a parking garage right next to the main hotel of Kumoricon.

Now to the main part of this topic, to those who have gone to both conventions, is SakuraCon a better convention to go to?
What are the pros and cons?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: Kumoricon vs. SakuraCon?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 12:01:23 pm »
It's a toss up.

SakuraCon is always in the same location, has lots of food, good hotels, photoshoot locations, the Cheesecake Factory and the Game place right near by. It's also split between several floors of the convention center, so you can find cosplayers everywhere. Also this last year they combined the Artist's Alley and the Dealer's Room into one large room and both seemed to have a great flow of traffic. Registration was a bit confusing since it was in a new area, but the location and way to get to it was not bad. And since it's between so many floors, it's easier for you to find a quiet place to sit and relax if needed. It also has an easy to find First Aid station run by the Convention space itself (I know because I always end up going to there every year for some reason or another).

However.... Talking over attendees, lines, panels, stuff to buy, there is no real difference. There is a lot more people however, which makes traffic more of a headache. And you'll also get more (jerks) people that will mess with your wig if you're unlucky (like one of my friends the other year). You're also right on I-5 so getting there is a pain, and the parking fees are pricey. My group ends up forking out close to 100$ (either above or below) every year for parking (at the convention center).

Kumori is smaller, usually a bit warmer in weather, but has issues with food, photoshoots and layouts since they work with hotels. I personally really enjoy this Clock Tower location we're at now though, since the park is large enough for our attendance without issues.

SakuraCon's park areas however can be easily overrun, and the glomp circle tends to stay for some reason on the cement instead of moving to the grass (which I think would result in less injuries and traffic complaints).
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:08 pm »
Sakuracon is very very big, like 18,000 people big. The reg last year was terrible. People waited in line for 4+ hours, however, pre-reg was great! I only waited in line for like 10 minutes. The area is big but there are a lot of parts that are crowded. The dealers hall is huge and you only really have to wait in line just when it opens. Any other time you can easily just walk right in. It is very spacious too. Its crowded at times, yes, but there is A TON more space than at Kumo. There is a wider arrange of events and different types of panels at Sak. The hotels are expensive and almost all don't offer free parking. There is a lot more food near by then at Kumo (a lot more cheap fast food). The places near the convention center (Cheesecake factory, subway inside and outside, crepe place, taco del mar, ect) are almost always very busy. It can be hard to find people because its so large. There is a huge arrange of amazing cosplayers and a ton of very good photographers including those that make CMVs. (wow after re-reading this, the lesson here is SPACE)

Kumoricon has much more of a family feel to it. You can't go too far without finding someone you know. There are those that are young and immature but they will be at all cons. Kumoricon is a lot cheaper than sak. I payed $135 for room and badge. The Kumo rooms come out to be like 300-400 for three nights where at Sak they can be anywhere from 500-1000 (if you include hotel parking and I suggest you don't park at the hotel), and the badge can get up to $60 if you wait. Kumo has less guest but isn't as industry oriented as Sak is (most of their panels are run by Funimation, and so on)

The park at Sakuracon is hard to go through sometimes. The glomp circle is huge and takes up most of the walking space. I have also noticed that the glompers at Sak are worse than those at Kumo. They will glomp anyone trying to pass by if they like the character.

So it comes down to, why do you go to cons? Do you go to hang out with friends? To go to panels? To see the cosplayers? If you are going to cons just to hang out then Sak might not be the best, it is very very expensive. Though if you want to see cosplayers some of the best cosplayers on the west coast go there as well as top notch photographers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:24:13 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »
I've been going to Kumoricon for three years now and I'd have to say this year was my least favorite so far. There was an explosion of trolls and ponies which was not to my liking. When I go to an anime convention I expect things Japanese related.

As a note, the official programming, while including some content from related fandoms, is strongly focused on anime and Japanese-related content, so although attendees bring their own cosplay and enthusiasm about many different topics, the official focus will continue to be centered on anime.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:07:37 pm »
I've been going to Kumoricon for three years now and I'd have to say this year was my least favorite so far. There was an explosion of trolls and ponies which was not to my liking. When I go to an anime convention I expect things Japanese related.

To an extent, I'll agree with this.  I feel the same way about Homestuck trolls as I do seeing Darth Vaders, the main guy from Assassin's Creed, or Dr. Who.  It's also EXTREMELY annoying when such cosplayers seem upset that you don't know their fandom and begin questioning your right to being called a geek, or whatever; the same goes for others who question the sanity/intelligence/maturity of bronies (IT'S FOR EVERYONE!!!).  However, since anime conventions are incredibly inviting to all fanbases, it's not a big deal to me; this is why I felt my Pinkie Pie costume was acceptable, because this con is accepting.  If people cosplaying things from non-anime-related things bothers you so much that you're going to hate an entire three-day weekend of fun, then I'm sorry you feel that way.

As for the original question, for me, it's definitely Kumoricon, and it's for a very simple reason: it's a lot closer to where I live.  If I had the money to go to multiple cons on a regular basis, Sakuracon might edge it out, but so would others.  I could see me loving many cons more than this one, possibly, if I could get to them.  However, I can't, so distance is key for me.  Kumoricon wins my vote.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Kangetsu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:26:44 pm »
There was an explosion of trolls and ponies which was not to my liking. When I go to an anime convention I expect things Japanese related.

Other people have given pretty fair assessments of the differences between conventions, but to speak to this particular point: if this is something that bothers you, you're probably going to enjoy Sakuracon even less. With the higher magnitude of people present, representation from tertiary fandoms is exponentially higher. On the Homestuck photoshoot day at this year's Sakuracon, it's probable that you could have taken a random (safe) object, closed your eyes, thrown it in any direction - and it would likely hit a troll.

I'm actually not even sure where I could recommend if you're looking to avoid it entirely - these fandoms have been swelling in recent years, and I've seen them grow considerably at Sakuracon, Kumoricon, and even Akicon. If you want to keep it anime only, you might be better off with going to some of the more prominent cosplay meet ups, such as GasuKan?

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:36:08 pm »
I don't even place Kumori con and Sakura con together, they are two different entities entirely. Both have pros and cons and both are extremely awesome in there own ways. :)

Offline ToastyGir

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:54:47 am »

If people cosplaying things from non-anime-related things bothers you so much that you're going to hate an entire three-day weekend of fun, then I'm sorry you feel that way.

As for the original question, for me, it's definitely Kumoricon, and it's for a very simple reason: it's a lot closer to where I live.  If I had the money to go to multiple cons on a regular basis, Sakuracon might edge it out, but so would others.  I could see me loving many cons more than this one, possibly, if I could get to them.  However, I can't, so distance is key for me.  Kumoricon wins my vote.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun, just not as fun as previous years. It was the amount of non-anime cosplayers compared to previous years.

From what I heard from everyone it seems like Kumorcion would be the way to go. Although I would like to try out SakuraCon at least once to see more cosplayers and meet more voice actors. Just to do something different even if it would cost me more money.

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:15:07 am »
I was just going to suggest that. They are similar in the theme aspect, but truly, you're your own judge.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:50:41 pm »

If people cosplaying things from non-anime-related things bothers you so much that you're going to hate an entire three-day weekend of fun, then I'm sorry you feel that way.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun, just not as fun as previous years. It was the amount of non-anime cosplayers compared to previous years.

From what I heard from everyone it seems like Kumorcion would be the way to go. Although I would like to try out SakuraCon at least once to see more cosplayers and meet more voice actors. Just to do something different even if it would cost me more money.

You should absolutely try it out, at least once!  The con is truly amazing in many ways!  One of their strengths that we don't have is that they have guests FROM Japan!  (Ironically enough, every year that I've attended, none of these guests interested me, but every year SINCE my first time that I've missed, there was at least one guest that made me kick myself for not going).  Sakuracon also, as a larger con, draws in a larger range of attendees from more states and countries.  At Kumoricon, I've met a Canadian, a Japanese, and a Dane.  At Sakuracon, I've met a few Canadians, a Brazilian, a couple of Japanese, a German, a Spaniard,... oh, and an Australian.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Katacus

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:11 am »
I usually prefer Sakuracon, but after this Kumoricon (which I thought was one of my favorites) and after last Sakuracon (one of the worst), I'm holding them a bit more as equals. They're so different, yet so much the same. I used to think Scon was so much more organized, but then last time it was a big mess. Things like that.

But having issues with cosplays is so different. You're not getting away from Homestuck or ponies until it dies out. And I'm sorry that upsets you, but there's no way you could get away from every cosplay that makes you mad. That would be impossible! I really don't mind American things because I don't personally think anime is so exclusive. I also don't think anyone should not do a cosplay because someone might not like it. Someone will always not like it! I'm actually jealous of Homestuck cosplayers. I don't like Homestuck at all. I just don't get it, but they have like this big family. So good for them.

I meant for this to be short. Sorry!

Offline ToastyGir

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:04:07 pm »
There are some things I don't mind like on the day of pre-registration I saw an ice cream cone with a V for Vendetta mask on saying "remember V is for Vanilla." Things like that I think is funny and is not Japanese related. I've always been a fan of cosplaying characters who are easily recognizable and hardly anybody cosplays them. I was Mr. Resettie this year lol

Offline Hkuraku

• Oni
    • Elite Cosplay
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »
I don't even place Kumori con and Sakura con together, they are two different entities entirely. Both have pros and cons and both are extremely awesome in there own ways. :)

This. They can't really be compared. As a photographer, I prefer Sakura because of the variety of costumes I can photograph, plus the magnitude of people from different areas is awesome. I had a great time at Kumori this year and it definitely has a more "relaxed" feeling. Try out Sakura con! There will be pros and cons to it, but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 04:44:32 pm »
I have been to both, and this is my main outcome.

Sakuracon

Pros: I live only an hour away from Seattle, the only major money issue I have to deal with is gas. The con is also BIGGER, with more cosplayers, meaning more of a variety, which also means more pictures I take. There are more events and guests as well, and the guests are always at least 3 people I really want to meet. And since it's at the same place every year, to me it's easier to find places to get around to, even though I've only gone to 2 Sak-cons.

Cons: The SPACE and the PEOPLE. My worst Sakuracon experience was 2011 when me and my friend just got off an escalator going up to the main floor and there was a crap-load of people. There was also a taped area that you couldn't stand in, so we stood OUTSIDE of it and got yelled at by a security woman. We had to walk another 20 feet somewhere else and stand there so we wouldn't increase the flow of traffic. Stuff is EXPENSIVE there too. I remember going there with $70 and leave with nothing and only bought 4 things. They were NORMAL things too, like a shirt and a plushie. I also felt that there were a bit more "rude" con-goers AND security that year (2011). 2010 was great since it was my second convention, but 2011 was NOT a good experience.

Kumoricon

Pros: In all honesty, I feel more closer to people here as friends (or family, like what nikkioli said.). I like the smaller size since I can get around more. The staff here are AWESOME (while still having to be strict in a good way and organize everything  ;) )! And everything is cheaper as well.

Cons: At S-con, I go to quite a number of panels, compared to K-con. At K-con, I only go to VA's panel, maybe a workshop, an autograph session, and a funny panel (went to Slightly Anime this year.). There just isn't a variety of panels that are in my interest to go to, and with that, I get bored a little easier at K-con. But to resolve this, I always make friends at cons and just hand around with them all day. However, I can also do this at S-con. Also, I have to travel 3 hours to get down to Vancouver and finding a hotel is a pain.
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3