Author Topic: Kumoricon 2012 Rants and Raves!  (Read 341371 times)

Offline ubaga

• Oni
Re: Kumoricon 2012 Rants and Raves!
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
And another note: the screenings of Trigun and Badlands Rumble in the Red Lion lobby was very nice :)
thanks i appreciate it, traffic was low at the time so i decided to have a marathon, luckily another person was also working the info booth so it was still easy for us to do our jobs.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »
Not that Kumoricon isn't a great convention, but I think it would be even better if we could get President Obama and Angelina Jolie as guests - after all, he's been featured in comic books, and she played a video game character!  Also, it would be nice if the dealer's hall handed out 75%-off coupons to all congoers, and if all Kumoricon attendees could receive free gourmet room service and a gold-plated PlayStation 3 engraved with their badge name.   These little changes would make the convention much more enjoyable, in my opinion!

The only question is how we would pay for them.  ;D

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:34 pm »
Not that Kumoricon isn't a great convention, but I think it would be even better if we could get President Obama and Angelina Jolie as guests - after all, he's been featured in comic books, and she played a video game character!  Also, it would be nice if the dealer's hall handed out 75%-off coupons to all congoers, and if all Kumoricon attendees could receive free gourmet room service and a gold-plated PlayStation 3 engraved with their badge name.   These little changes would make the convention much more enjoyable, in my opinion!

The only question is how we would pay for them.  ;D

Easy. $1,500 base registration price. Includes two nights of hotel stay. Contact the registration department -- they're the ones grinding axes in your general direction -- for more details.

Big Quote from Tanis And Ally... >.>

Ya thanks a bunch on settin me straight with things like that. Ya I understand the financial situation involved. Honestly I've never really done the head count too specifically at Orycon, I just thought it would make a good idea. Ya... finances get difficult. Just thought it would be something nice to throw out there but thanks very much, Ally and Tanis, for bringing me intro a bit of perspective on that ^^

No problem. Con is expensive, after all, and often times the attendees just don't know how many stray zeroes get attached to the ends of the budget.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2012, 04:56:54 pm »
but I think it would be even better if we could get President Obama and Angelina Jolie as guests - after all, he's been featured in comic books

Just want to put this out there
I am in a manga and am really easy to book, like my friend wants to hang out, done! Tho ya need to talk to my hus---I mean manager.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »
I think it would be even better if we could get President Obama and Angelina Jolie as guests - after all, he's been featured in comic books,

...I didn't know about comic books (thought I'm not surprised...), but I do know that he was in (at least) one manga.  *gasp* SOMEONE NEEDS TO COSPLAY BARACK OBAMA NEXT YEAR!!! :D

and she played a video game character!

Yeah... poorly...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2012, 11:38:07 pm »
I really had no cons, everything was great. I'm just glad the majority of the idiots that were there last year weren't here this year, thank gosh.

Offline Bopie98

• Cabbit
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2012, 12:06:56 am »
I know the staff in charge work hard to pick vendors the con will like and there are bunches of factors that into it
That said maybe some year including a survey or short questionair about the vendors, which you like which you didn't why, which had fair prices
otherwise posting here
Although I don't know anything about how the vendors are selected, that sounds like a great idea from where I'm standing. I'd be willing to through my vote behind the guy selling the $9 Gundam box kits (and anyone who wasn't charging sales tax...).

If the staff are taking suggestions, last year (2011), there was a booth that I'm fairly sure was called "Half-Price Manga" that had a huge selection for $5 each, and I was really hoping they'd be here this year, but alas, they were not. If there was some way they could be invited back, that would be amazing!

I will say again; vendors are not like guests.  They're not "invited" to the con (the majority of the time) Vendors fill out registration forms and the con chooses who to let in.  They also have to pay to attend.  Another thing that really urks me about what you said is your reluctance to pay sales tax.  Washington has sales tax.  The vendors are running a business just like the subway across the street or the cafe in the hotel.  They are still required to charge sales tax on their product.  Occasionally people from the IRS go to cons (not always) and make sure the vendors are charging sales tax.  If they're not then the sales tax is built into the final price anyway.  As to reasonable prices, it really does vary between products.  Sometimes if you see something what you would call outrageously pricey, it's probably been imported and has to be like that for the vendors to make money off of it.  It's a very expensive industry and they make do with what they can.
Jeremiah - Code Geass
Naesala - Fire Emblem
Emperor Peony - Tales of the Abyss

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2012, 12:10:34 am »
Occasionally people from the IRS go to cons (not always) and make sure the vendors are charging sales tax.

Well, it would be the Washington Department of Revenue, in this case, as sales tax is state, and IRS is federal.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Hydra

• Oni
    • Cosplay CONfidentiel FAN PAGE
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2012, 12:24:52 am »
I understand the sales tax argument, but I would also like to point out that I have been to conventions in a few other states and a lot of the dealers do not charge sales tax! Though it may be built into the prices cleverly and people just do not know they are paying it, which I think is a fine way of doing things. I am all for being tricked! I can SO deal with that. Then I have no idea I am paying what I usually don't. WIN WIN! :D
*~*Founder and Leader of Cosplay CONfidential*~*

http://www.facebook.com/cosconnw

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2012, 03:08:52 am »
Personally I disagree with the sales tax thing but *shrugs* whatever... If they won't accept my Oregon ID, I just don't buy as much items then and factor the tax into my budget.

On the subject of guests- Is there really no way we can get anyone, more well known? Half of the guests I usually have no idea who they are- some random person who works at some company- I don't want to sound like I'm dissing them, I appreciate them coming in and giving information on their company- or talking about the world of dubbing- but a lot of the dubbers that come in, I don't know, I generally don't watch dub, and if I do they're never from one's I have. I know we're a small con- but we're not off the radar anymore. Svetlana in 2009??!! That was AMAZING!! Getting Funimation in- also amazing! A couple others as well too- so can we try for more guests up to that level? Maybe even actually finally getting a Japaneeeesseee guest in there? Japanese manga-ka, voice actor, singer, band, anything?

As the guest list comes out each year I just think..."Oh. Okay. Sounds Cool." or "Is that it?" Only a couple times have a I truly gone, "HOLY CRAP REALLY??!!!"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:11:00 am by Kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2012, 03:20:29 am »
On the subject of guests- Is there really no way we can get anyone, more well known? Half of the guests I usually have no idea who they are- some random person who works at some company- I don't want to sound like I'm dissing them, I appreciate them coming in and giving information on their company- or talking about the world of dubbing- but a lot of the dubbers that come in, I don't know, I generally don't watch dub, and if I do they're never from one's I have. I know we're a small con- but we're not off the radar anymore. Svetlana in 2009??!! That was AMAZING!! Getting Funimation in- also amazing! A couple others as well too- so can we try for more guests up to that level? Maybe even actually finally getting a Japaneeeesseee guest in there? Japanese manga-ka, voice actor, singer, band, anything?

As the guest list comes out each year I just think..."Oh. Okay. Sounds Cool." or "Is that it?" Only a couple times have a I truly gone, "HOLY CRAP REALLY??!!!"

Much agreed. I am by no means a stranger to the world of anime, and yet every year I do find myself more than not at a loss with who the guests are. I'll look up their bodies of work and go "ooooh... that's cool....", knowing I don't know them enough to care to meet them. There are other aspects of the fandom that can have a broader range of interest (music being an obvious one) that I am sure could be explored. I won't pretend like money isn't the issue. I know it is. I did just want to put in a word on the guest issue. Perhaps more well known voice actors or contributors to the fandom. I know I can't say that without essentially popping out dollar signs, but, just a thought.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:09 am »
On the tax thing many vendors if you should them your Oregon ID they won't charge tax. But either way you're in Washington and it's the law so suck it up. (:
It's rather minimal anyways. (:
Also! I would love to see a Japanese guest at the con! That would be really amazing!
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »
My rant is towards some of the press people and some of the under-informed staff (though they could have been volunteers)

Waiting in line for the Slightly Anime Dating Game, Staff kept trying me to push (verbally) me towards the general line while I had a VIP pass. regardless, someone asked for a picture of my mascot cosplay (Excalibur), and I said yes. When I take my head off, I see people walking into the panel EARLIER than when the staff said I could get in. I saw the front row was mostly full except one seat, occupied by a press/photographer's equipment. I asked if I could sit where his stuff was sitting, as I was VIP, he said no. I respected that, and looked for another spot. A well respected member of Bakazoku, said I could sit on his lap, who right was next to the press's seat. I said yes, and sat.

About 5 minutes into the panel, the photographer left and took all his equipment, saying I could have his seat. It took me a minute to actually move to the seat.

When I walk out of the panel, I get pulled aside by a staffer for 'stealing the seat' and 'harassing everyone' (Yes, I admit I accidentally threwing a soft foam die at the ninja, and hitting the ninja in the head. But a lot of people were throwing things as bribes. (I at least didn't throw a book) and I apologized immediately, and was forgiven(I think. I was just groveling and saying "Oh, my God, I am so sorry" over and over.)) (And if anyone has ever been to a Slightly Anime Panel, everyone is harassing everyone just about. Playfully in the Slightly Anime way) anyway I got a warning. But that night I was crying for 3 hours and didn't have the heart to go to the con until noon the next day.

The Second Anime Dating Game, I did get to enter first because of my badge. But I was told to sit in the far corner, and the staff wouldn't listen to me. I couldn't choose a decent seat, and barely saw anything. Even when someone was kind enough to switch me spots so I could sit with someone I knew, Chuoji (whose armor was stolen the next day, hope it gets found), I could hardly see. I got that Prizes sit in the first row on one side of the room, but VIP should have had the choice to sit in the first row where they wanted, not a corner, where the view was blocked by a tall speaker.

I know that VIP don't get free reign over con, and that Slightly Anime was not a Main Event. Yes, we get SOME special treatment, but I'd like a little respect. This was the only year I got to be VIP, since I'll be broke forever. Only Reason I got the funds to go to con this year is because the government found my mother, and I got a few years of unpaid child support. I spend most of it on a school loan and the rest for a little treat. I felt other than hanging with Sonny Strait (a father figure in my life via online), my VIP badge was sort of a wast in money. Day two was Horrible.

I do admit the water bottle in the VIP swag bag was a lifesaver, though I would have managed my funds to buy a Kumoricon water bottle regardless. And winning best mascot maid me a little happy.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:23:17 pm by Raveen92 »
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Bopie98

• Cabbit
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »
Personally I disagree with the sales tax thing but *shrugs* whatever... If they won't accept my Oregon ID, I just don't buy as much items then and factor the tax into my budget.

Sometimes there are scheduling conflicts with some of the guests (Like Todd Haberkorn was already booked for a con that weekend) But I would love to see a Japanese guest.  It would be very pricey, but I'd be okay with having just one guest at Kumoricon if it was a good Japanese guest :)  I would die happy if we got bands like T.M.Revolution or Gackt to come.  Unfortunately we probably have to be a much bigger con to get Japanese guests.  The only cons with Japanese guests are cons like Anime Expo and Acen.  I'll continue to hope though
Jeremiah - Code Geass
Naesala - Fire Emblem

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2012, 01:43:45 pm »

Sometimes there are scheduling conflicts with some of the guests (Like Todd Haberkorn was already booked for a con that weekend) But I would love to see a Japanese guest.  It would be very pricey, but I'd be okay with having just one guest at Kumoricon if it was a good Japanese guest :)  I would die happy if we got bands like T.M.Revolution or Gackt to come.  Unfortunately we probably have to be a much bigger con to get Japanese guests.  The only cons with Japanese guests are cons like Anime Expo and Acen.  I'll continue to hope though
Sakuracon had a TON of Japanese guests last year. Yes, they are a bigger con (but still less than 20,000), but it doesn't seem to get as much press or attention as Anime Expo or Acen. Even though Kumoricon is a small con, I still think it would be possible to get small-time Japanese guests. Just need the connections and the money. Money is the big thing.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2012, 03:03:16 pm »
Random rant about the dealer's room.... Not enough of those mini mystery-box figures. I only recognized 3 series, and the rest looked cool and cute, but I had no idea or way to judge what they were from, so no interest in buying them. I realize they're a particular item, and dealer's have limited amount of stock and carrying space between cons as they travel, but it's just a small point on my part. Those mini-figures are one of my favorite things to buy at cons, and seeing that the series I like or watch are not present is kind of sad.

Mini-figures like:
Zelda, Tales of, Kuroshitsuji, Vocaloid, Sonic, Disgaea, ect..

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find a whole lot of things I could recognize. Likewise I saw a lot of Madoka for some reason (is it being dubbed now or some ad campaign?).
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »
On the tax thing many vendors if you should them your Oregon ID they won't charge tax. But either way you're in Washington and it's the law so suck it up. (:

You must live in Washington. I live in Oregon, and I am not used to sale tax and I hate it- I'd much rather have the stupid thing factored into the price if I have to pay it. I "suck it up" like you said, by just walking away from an item or factoring it into my budget- therefore buying less. Oregon citizen- at an Oregon convention though in Washington= does not like sales tax.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »
@Kimiski I know that most of the times the con has been in WA many vendors (if they don't have tax factored into the item) will let the tax slide if you show them your id. They have to write up a report sort of thing and it does take maybe 5-10 minutes but it can be well worth it. (: Just ask next time. (:
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline saki-sempai

• Chibi
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:59 pm »
The only complaint I had was about the Kumoricon Ball this year. My entire group got dressed up for it, and by the time we had gotten there and such, it was about a half hour into the dance, so we figured that people would have had their chance to dance, would have gotten bored, and left. What we got instead was someone telling us we couldn't even wait in a line, on the off chance that enough people would leave for us to give in. It actually really upset my date, and I had to spend a while calming him down afterwards.

When we had it in 2010, it seemed to go really smoothly (I can't say for sure, however, I was helping host that year.), so it was just a bit frustrating this year.

Luckily, there was a group of people singing so we could dance in the park, but... yeah.

The rest of the con was fantastic, though! Dealers room was a bit terrifying, but that was my fault for going in while in my heels. Artist's alley was absolutely amazing! Good panels, all that fun stuff.
K-con 2015-
Lamento: Asato
KnB: Aomine Daiki
TnC: Gunji
Possibilities-
Something from persona, something from SNK, possibly DmmD?

Offline Bopie98

• Cabbit
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I didn't find a whole lot of things I could recognize. Likewise I saw a lot of Madoka for some reason (is it being dubbed now or some ad campaign?).

Madoka has been dubbed, but you don't really see the DVDs a lot because they are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive (but that's Aniplex for ya) It's also very popular in Japan and America.  It won a bunch of awards in Japan.  There's a lot of Madoka because it sells.  Simple as that.
Jeremiah - Code Geass
Naesala - Fire Emblem

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:33 pm »
The only complaint I had was about the Kumoricon Ball this year. My entire group got dressed up for it, and by the time we had gotten there and such, it was about a half hour into the dance, so we figured that people would have had their chance to dance, would have gotten bored, and left. What we got instead was someone telling us we couldn't even wait in a line, on the off chance that enough people would leave for us to give in. It actually really upset my date, and I had to spend a while calming him down afterwards.

When we had it in 2010, it seemed to go really smoothly (I can't say for sure, however, I was helping host that year.), so it was just a bit frustrating this year.

Luckily, there was a group of people singing so we could dance in the park, but... yeah.

The rest of the con was fantastic, though! Dealers room was a bit terrifying, but that was my fault for going in while in my heels. Artist's alley was absolutely amazing! Good panels, all that fun stuff.

We apologize for the ball, and will be working on better logistics to get people into the ball beforehand (perhaps a ticketed event would be in order...)

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54:19 am »

You must live in Washington. I live in Oregon, and I am not used to sale tax and I hate it- I'd much rather have the stupid thing factored into the price if I have to pay it. I "suck it up" like you said, by just walking away from an item or factoring it into my budget- therefore buying less. Oregon citizen- at an Oregon convention though in Washington= does not like sales tax.
Yeah, it's definitely the worst thing about having the con in Washington, IMO. Does showing your Oregon ID actually work? The one time I tried it (the first time Kumoricon was in Vancouver), the vendor literally laughed in my face, so I haven't tried it since.

And Bopie98, all the vendors I bought from except Kinokuniya weren't charging sales tax, or had already factored it into their prices (and the woman at Kinokuniya SAID that tax was included in the price, but then charged me the sales tax anyway, which was really frustrating, because another vendor was selling the same thing but cheaper, and I had chosen to buy from Kinokuniya instead because of what she said... whine whine, complain complain). It's a bit facetious to say "Oh, they're running a business, you can't complain!" when not everyone does it.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2012, 03:29:59 pm »
I've had it work once. I am from Washington, but had someone who was willing show their id to get me off tax free (the vendor also offered).

I'd suggest asking them next time. (:

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »
Yeah, it's definitely the worst thing about having the con in Washington, IMO. Does showing your Oregon ID actually work? The one time I tried it (the first time Kumoricon was in Vancouver), the vendor literally laughed in my face, so I haven't tried it since.

And Bopie98, all the vendors I bought from except Kinokuniya weren't charging sales tax, or had already factored it into their prices (and the woman at Kinokuniya SAID that tax was included in the price, but then charged me the sales tax anyway, which was really frustrating, because another vendor was selling the same thing but cheaper, and I had chosen to buy from Kinokuniya instead because of what she said... whine whine, complain complain). It's a bit facetious to say "Oh, they're running a business, you can't complain!" when not everyone does it.

Vendors are not required to remove sales tax for Oregon residents, it is optional. As an Oregon resident, you used to be able to request a refund from the Washington State Department of Revenue, however new regulations no longer allow refunds if the seller had the option to make the transaction exempt from sales tax.

Sales to Nonresidents: http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/Nonresidents/default.aspx
Apply for a tax refund (see note under "Consumers"): http://dor.wa.gov/content/fileandpaytaxes/applyforataxrefund/

Personally, I vote with my wallet. If a vendor chooses not to make my transaction tax exempt when it can apply, I choose to go elsewhere.

It should be noted that a lot of people don't understand what can be made tax exempt for Oregon residents, for example, if you buy Ramune or snacks, these are considered "meals or refreshments for immediate consumption" and cannot be made exempt.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:47:29 pm by DarkStar »
--Chris ^_^

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2012, 05:23:56 pm »
I know the Kinokuniya in Seattle will take off the sales tax if you show them your ID, so it's odd that the OREGON one at con wouldn't do that. :/
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2012, 11:10:25 pm »

We apologize for the ball, and will be working on better logistics to get people into the ball beforehand (perhaps a ticketed event would be in order...)

For some more info on it, check out my post here: https://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=17297.15

Offline sporkoon

• Chibi
    • Long neglected deviantart site
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2012, 11:38:36 pm »
If lines and line management continue to be this bad in future years, many cosplayers like me may just visit the con location, but not register. That will lose revenue for the con and reduce the number of people who book hotel rooms. I don't want that to happen, but I can't afford to spend $45 on a badge that serves practically no purpose.

I agree, and I know many people who did just that. I barely went to any programming at all this year, simply because lines were too long and space in panels was too limited. It's kind of hard to justify spending $40+ on a badge just to wait in line and not actually get to do anything. Honestly, I think Kumoricon has outgrown hotels. If there was a larger venue it could accommodate the rising number of attendees so we aren't crammed together in hallways, trying to stay out of the way so we don't get yelled at. Might be enough space to approve some new panels too. I understand there are contracts and nothing can be done about this for a couple years at least, but it's something to consider. Most people I have talked to about this would be willing to pay a slightly higher badge price for breathing room and new content. Unfortunately, next year I'll probably just hang out at the park, since that's pretty much all I did this year.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:39:33 pm by sporkoon »
()()
(**)
(___)0
If love is blind, then I have 20/20 vision

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »
The Oregon Convention Center is inevitable and looming in the distance. While it's critically expensive, it'll basically eliminate line and space issues.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2012, 01:04:23 am »
The Problem is, as I said 3 years ago before I joined Kumoricon as a staffer is that we have to get there first. And that is really the hard part.

What we *really* need are good panels from a lot of people! Have an idea for a panel? Start talking it up now, find people who want to run good programming and start working on your ideas THIS INSTANT. We have seating in panel rooms for a lot of people, with some estimates lets break it down:

Main Events: 900
Live Events: 300
Panel 1: 150 180
Panel 2: 100 140
Panel 3: 100 140
Panel 4: 60 100
Panel 5: 50 100
Workshop: 30-40 90
Karaoke: 25+
Viewing: 40x2 = 80 80x2 = 160

So, at any given time we can have (approximately, these are numbers I'm making up because it's late and I am a lazy Publicity Director) for somewhere close to 1800 2100+ people That leaves 2,600 people based on this year's numbers not in a panel room. Now, if you add in people mingling in the halls, taking naps, out at the parks, doing photo shoots, at the dealer's hall when it's open, people who are only there for one day and not every day, people who spend their lives in Console and Tabletop... well... There is a great deal of potential for us to make the space work... but ONLY if we have panels in EVERY room that are awesome, fun and demanding. The lines for a few panel rooms were consistently long, but I went into other panel areas that were sometimes very lack luster in attendance, or just didn't have anything going on... so we need you guys as attendees to step up your creativitiy and tell us what YOU want to see at con, and help us make the Fan paneling that really sells this convention a reality!

Because you are all absolutely right, if there is nothing to do, people wont pay to come, and if people don't pay to come, we never move forward as a convention - and if you WANT us to move forward, and if you think we can get big enough to safely move to the OCC, you gotta help us bridge that gap, because the staff need each and every one of you attendees to make this con the best. Without you, we are just a bunch of people in Purple shirts with walkie talkies.

Edited numbers to more like we actually had ;) ~ Jamiche

Edited: Wow? Really!? We had lots of space! And that's not even including the manga library and people who went to the Red Lion for the Art Show and stuff... we really just need your content folks! FUN CONTENT MEANS EVERYONE WINS! :) - Allykat
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:31:09 pm by AllyKat »
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:05 am »
A three-day staff meeting is a bad thing, and I am still not gonna attend any panels called "Good of the Order".

Seriously, we need attendees! We love you guys! And we're here to help you hammer out really good shows!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:06 pm »
Speaking of panels and the amount of attendees attending them, one of my biggest issues I've always had while hosting panels is when is a good time to have the panel at?

I've found panels at almost any time have issues of when's a good time to host your panel. Most panelists opt for their panels to start at 10am and end before 1am (between Sakura and Kumori). However, I'm one of the oddballs who's always waking up at 4-6am at con and have nothing to do at breakfast time other then see if anyone else is awake around the con. Photoshoots like being between that 10am and 6pm range generally, and most primetime is noon-4pm... Panels themselves seem to compete for that time with the guests, main events, attendee events (photoshoots) and other panels.

I have to say, most panels this year just didn't look interesting to me. I'd be happy to some for history of some kind, hands-on cosplay panels (demonstrations, not just descriptions), and the panels about LED cosplay lighting (that looked really cool but I missed it) and any panels explaining cosplay photography (not a software lesson on PS, but a camera lesson) would get my attention.
Kumori'15

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2012, 02:59:55 pm »
I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, so if it isn't, if someone would re direct me to the right place that'd be awesome.
I've heard a lot about people talking about con moving?
I'm kind of freaking out over it because I haven't been able to get any answers. This con center is so lovely just because of the park. It's gorgeous and my favorite part- so much room for photos.
can someone please tell me if con is moving to a new place this year or in the coming years? We start planning our tip in two months (yeah, we start early, it's a mess to get it planned I can't image how staff must feel) and I really need to know where it will be next year so I can figure out our hotel stuf.
Thank you!
Kumori-con 2013 cosplay plans:
Day zero: Sollux Captor
Day one: Meenah peixes
Day two: Fem! Grand highblood.
Day three: We leave at about 1:30 pm, and it's a long drive home, so no cosplay on day three. Too much make up to take on and off, haha.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2012, 03:02:48 pm »
According to the official release online at the Kumori website, it'll be at the same location from 2007, 2011-2012 and in 2013. If it does change location, the staff usually is notified and gets all that hammered out before Closing Ceremonies so they can announce the next year's location at the CC.
Kumori'15

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2012, 04:07:18 pm »
Speaking of panels and the amount of attendees attending them, one of my biggest issues I've always had while hosting panels is when is a good time to have the panel at?

I've found panels at almost any time have issues of when's a good time to host your panel. Most panelists opt for their panels to start at 10am and end before 1am (between Sakura and Kumori). However, I'm one of the oddballs who's always waking up at 4-6am at con and have nothing to do at breakfast time other then see if anyone else is awake around the con. Photoshoots like being between that 10am and 6pm range generally, and most primetime is noon-4pm... Panels themselves seem to compete for that time with the guests, main events, attendee events (photoshoots) and other panels.

I have to say, most panels this year just didn't look interesting to me. I'd be happy to some for history of some kind, hands-on cosplay panels (demonstrations, not just descriptions), and the panels about LED cosplay lighting (that looked really cool but I missed it) and any panels explaining cosplay photography (not a software lesson on PS, but a camera lesson) would get my attention.

Most panelists prefer to have their panels between 11am and 6pm or so, and to not compete with any major events.  It can be quite a puzzle to fit everyone in at a time that works, and some don't get the timeslot they would like.

Personally, I wish we had more early morning panels, and it's for the exact reason you mention: while there may be a majority of people that are up late and sleep in, there are people that up early in the morning, and I would like to have content for them, as well.  So, if you ever want to run a panel... ;)

We did have some cosplay photography panels this year.  Brian, one of our staff photographers, ran one each day, and they were in the morning so that he could take care of his staff duties later in the day.  I hope we will see them again next year :)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline ToriKat

• Cabbit
    • ToriKat's deviantART
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:35 pm »

I just wanted to mention that Ushicon 2012 in Round Rock, TX was able to get Junichi Sato, the director of Sailormoon and Princess Tutu, and the character designer and creator of Princess Tutu, Ikuko Itoh.  It's a FAR smaller convention than Kumoricon...to be honest, I'm not even sure if it hit a thousand attendees?  At the time, I had no clue about costs and difficulty obtaining guests, so I didn't ask how they managed to get such legends to show up!  :)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:39 pm »
Just on the subject of guests in general, I would rather see one B-lister than two C-listers that you have to Wiki before you even remember their most popular role.

My two cents.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

I just wanted to mention that Ushicon 2012 in Round Rock, TX was able to get Junichi Sato, the director of Sailormoon and Princess Tutu, and the character designer and creator of Princess Tutu, Ikuko Itoh.  It's a FAR smaller convention than Kumoricon...to be honest, I'm not even sure if it hit a thousand attendees?  At the time, I had no clue about costs and difficulty obtaining guests, so I didn't ask how they managed to get such legends to show up!  :)

Texas is often pretty lucky... you have a ton of big name conventions, and big name Anime/Manga companies calling your state home.

What makes it really easy to book a Japanese guest (or a Japanese band)? If they are already coming to America! If you can piggie back your convention onto another appearance or a guests need to be in town, the cost goes down a ton. I am not saying this is what Ushicon did, but it's how a lot of smaller cons in a dense area of conventions get difficult to get guests.

We have to be VERY careful about booking a Japanese guest, but did you know that we have already had one? Dark Horse has brought Toshifumi Yoshida, a cracker of a manga translator, to a couple Kumoricon's and we are always excited to have him. That's kinda the secret to getting awesome Japanese guests (although, to be fair to Toshi-san, he lives pretty much full time in the US working hard!) I'm not sure cause I didn't check the bar, but he may have been lurking even this year (you never know!).
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2012, 02:37:36 am »
Just on the subject of guests in general, I would rather see one B-lister than two C-listers that you have to Wiki before you even remember their most popular role.

My two cents.

Agreed

Offline Dealrith

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2012, 10:41:24 am »
I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, so if it isn't, if someone would re direct me to the right place that'd be awesome.
I've heard a lot about people talking about con moving?
I'm kind of freaking out over it because I haven't been able to get any answers. This con center is so lovely just because of the park. It's gorgeous and my favorite part- so much room for photos.
can someone please tell me if con is moving to a new place this year or in the coming years? We start planning our tip in two months (yeah, we start early, it's a mess to get it planned I can't image how staff must feel) and I really need to know where it will be next year so I can figure out our hotel stuf.
Thank you!

To directly answer your question Kumoricon is going to be back in the Vancouver Hilton/Red Lion agin for a 3rd year next year so you don't have to worry.

After that though it does come down to factors like the size of the con, the cost of the hotel contracts,what deals can we get else were, etc, etc.

As stated though except for major malfunctions the announcement for the next year's hotel is made at closing so you have a year to plan.
2014 - 2018 - Quartermaster Staff Manager
2013 - Quartermaster
2012 - Quartermaster
2011 - Quartermaster
2010 - Vice Chair
2009 - Director of Operations
2008 - Yojimbo Floor Manager
2007 - Yojimbo

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2012, 10:53:39 am »

Texas is often pretty lucky... you have a ton of big name conventions, and big name Anime/Manga companies calling your state home.

What makes it really easy to book a Japanese guest (or a Japanese band)? If they are already coming to America! If you can piggie back your convention onto another appearance or a guests need to be in town, the cost goes down a ton. I am not saying this is what Ushicon did, but it's how a lot of smaller cons in a dense area of conventions get difficult to get guests.

We have to be VERY careful about booking a Japanese guest, but did you know that we have already had one? Dark Horse has brought Toshifumi Yoshida, a cracker of a manga translator, to a couple Kumoricon's and we are always excited to have him. That's kinda the secret to getting awesome Japanese guests (although, to be fair to Toshi-san, he lives pretty much full time in the US working hard!) I'm not sure cause I didn't check the bar, but he may have been lurking even this year (you never know!).

Toshi is an American citizen and has been been for a very long time.  I think his family moved here in 1981?  He is ethnically Japanese and was born there, but I think when people talk about a Japanese guest they don't mean someone who lived there as a young child.  

Toshi is awesome, yes.  He was last here through Bandai while working on one of the first experiments on simulcasting.  To call him a Japanese guest is ... technically true but fairly misleading.  
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »

Toshi is an American citizen and has been been for a very long time.  I think his family moved here in 1981?  He is ethnically Japanese and was born there, but I think when people talk about a Japanese guest they don't mean someone who lived there as a young child.  

Toshi is awesome, yes.  He was last here through Bandai while working on one of the first experiments on simulcasting.  To call him a Japanese guest is ... technically true but fairly misleading.  

Yeah, you are right. I originally had the word "Technically" in there, since he is actually a Japanese-American, but I wasn't sure if that is disrespectful to him or not. I don't know how he prefers to be cited, as there have only been a few times where I have met him.

We will just have to keep working hard for a Japanese guest!
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2012, 05:24:47 pm »
Aren't they hella expensive, what with the airfare and all?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2012, 12:56:09 am »
Yup.  I've heard that some prefer having a personal translator going with them, too; if this is the case, then their airfare and such would have to be calculated, as well.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »
As far as interpretation goes, give me another year or two to really polish up my skills there (I mainly translate), and I'd be happy to serve as a part-time interpreter for Japanese guests, if needed.   ;D

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but I will say this in this thread too.

I feel like the rule "No lining up more than 30 minutes before a panel" wasn't taken seriously this year. On Day 1, I was going to line up for Slightly Anime Dating Game. I get there 45 minutes before the actual event and there is already a LINE. Not even a small group, but an actual LINE of about 30+ people. I lined up then, thinking that the staff WAS letting us line up. I luckily made it into the panel, but I didn't feel like it was fair for people to line up BEFORE you're even supposed to.

Other than that, I didn't have any problems with anything else during the con.
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline theloanwolf072

• Oni
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »
Speaking of stairs. On day 0 we had to take the elevator from Floor 2 to Floor 3 which seemed stupid cause we tried to go up the stairs but they were locked on Floor 3. I understand the idea of not letting people up unless they had a key, but it was faster to get to programming and operations via walking then waiting for the elevators.

This was really my only quibble with an otherwise 110% awesome con.  I ran or co-ran three different panels this year, and Programming and Ops were on the third floor.  Two of my panel rooms were missing equipment that I'd requested on the forms (the staff was super nice about getting the stuff to me once I asked - thanks, guys!).  However, with only half an hour to set up, I had to spend several nervous minutes waiting for the elevator simply to go up from the second to the third floor and ask them.  Since I wasn't staying in the Hilton and didn't have a guest keycard, the stairwell doors opening onto the third floor were locked - I could go down the stairs from third to second floor, but not exit the stairwell onto the third floor.

Perhaps panelists can call up to Prog at the Prog Booth next to Info Booth in the future?  There is a hotel phone at the current location.  The radios were a problem this year that was totally out of the con's hands, so trying to to hear details on those would have sucked.  But, Info Booth/Prog Booth has a clear line right behind them.  Perhaps that could become a thing? 

It's a good concept in theory, but I fear it could tie up Programming staff at con, and I don't know how the facility itself would feel about attendees using house phones.

I was thinking more that panelists could ask that a staffer at the booth use the phone right there to call up to the room.  It might not be feasible, just something to think about especially if the Nextel issue isn't resolved in time for the next con. 

This is a really good idea Rathany, even if the Push to Talk situation is much better next year, this could still solve a few problems, and heck it's never bad to have a back up.

So I guess I am little confused at the moment.  Being that the radios are all controlled by the con.  I have heard that we didn't have enough radios this year but I am unaware of any other problems with them.  Would you please enlighten me to the problem of which you are referring to?

Also we had a different set-up with the radios this year.  With two different radio systems.  These two systems weren't able to speak to each other directly however their were resources available to help mitigate that. 

To follow up on the option of using the phone line.  I would like to be able to say this is completely possible it simply isn't.  We have to keep certain lines of communication open for the hotel to use as that is one of their primary ways of contacting us.  However I shall try to find out what the problem was with the info booth radio and see if we can build a solution around them this year. 

To address the issue of the stair well.  In the past we have asked the hotel if they can open it up for general use.  The hotel has come back and said no in the past as I recall.  The reason being is that it isn't patrolled by security and it becomes a problem if their is an emergency inside the hotel to have the emergency exit path already filled. 

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
Thanks. I thought they weren't opening up the stairwell due to there actually being rooms on that floor and not just public locations like on 1F and 2F. However, in that sense, could we take possibly, one of the two elevators and limit it to just 1-3F usage and the other for those actually using the hotel itself?

I can see how it'd be limiting one way or the other, but it could potentially work better then people just riding the elevator up and coming back down and blocking off other people from getting on who want up or down to either the 3F or their room.
Kumori'15

Offline theloanwolf072

• Oni
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:43 am »
Well right now their is a elevator that goes to the Garage first and second floors.  which is the one most of our attendees should be using in the first place.  However it will quickly spill over to the other elevators.  Part of what probably needs to happen is that attendees need to be encouraged to use the stairs more than they use the elevators to free up the traffic. 

Unfortunately this is the situation we are stuck in for the time being.

Offline yelloweyedowl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »
There was a rule instated part-way through Kumoricon this year that people had to get off of the elevator at the 7th floor (ie. they could not ride up just to go down).  Not everyone followed this rule, but I noticed that the elevator situation got a little better once the rule was put in place.  If that rule stays in place next year there will most likely be better signage and more consistent enforcement, which should go a long way in reducing elevator wait time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:52:34 pm by yelloweyedowl »

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:06 pm »
Oh, I had totally spaced about this earlier, but I just now remembered: The cosplay scavenger hunt flyer this year was really poorly done, image quality-wise. I know that the info booth has full pictures of everyone on the list, but the flyer itself was nearly illegible. It looked like whoever made it didn't have access to professional-quality image editing software. Is there an official place to volunteer to do it next year? I'm a professional image editor and totally wouldn't mind helping out.
Kumoricon 2014: