Author Topic: 2012 Cosplay Chess was amazing! :D  (Read 9949 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
2012 Cosplay Chess was amazing! :D
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:39:49 pm »
I've only seen a few games of cosplay chess, at various cons, but this year's was far and away the best one I'd ever seen.  Smooth, polished, and generally well-run, with clever and gracious chess masters, energetic and hilarious battles, and excellent camera work to allow everybody in the audience to keep track of what was going on.

My husband, who had never seen cosplay chess before and is normally quite shy about getting involved with con shenanigans, came out of the event enthusing about what a fun idea it was and thinking of different characters he might try to play if he signs up next year.  Thank you all for making his Monday, and way to go, everybody who was involved!

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Nekokichi-san

• Cabbit
Re: 2012 Cosplay Chess was amazing! :D
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »
Yes, it was great! I watched last year's cosplay chess on youtube and it was just chaotic. This year though was a lot more organized and such and more amusing.

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »
Glad to see it was enjoyed so much. Definitely makes me happy that I volunteered to be a chess master this year (I was Ichigo, chess master for the black team), and I'd be happy to be one again next year. This year's chess was much better than last year's, which was easily the worst Cosplay Chess I've ever seen, so definitely happy to see the positive reaction to it and glad we could make it so much better this year.

FilkAeris, if your husband wants to try it out I definitely encourage him doing it. I was in a similar boat as he was, being normally very shy and not liking to get involved in too many events, but signing up for Cosplay Chess is easily one of the best con ideas I've had. We would love to have more people involved in Cosplay Chess (especially if he wants to cosplay an evil character, because we've tried to get Good vs. Evil for so long but it hasn't happened yet :/), and it would be a great chance for him to feel more involved in con and get to know some more people that attend.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:38:20 pm »
I had a blast. I tend to talk a lot though during chess x.x Clint it was fun. I'm glad you were our chess master 8D

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »
Even though I was only an alternate/ninja...thing, I had tons of fun x3 It was hilarious and after watching some videos of the chess from last year...This year definitely was a lot better!

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »
(...) We would love to have more people involved in Cosplay Chess (especially if he wants to cosplay an evil character, because we've tried to get Good vs. Evil for so long but it hasn't happened yet :/), and it would be a great chance for him to feel more involved in con and get to know some more people that attend.

Is that why the Good vs. Evil thing hasn't happened?  Insufficient villains?  Dang, that's both sad and ironic - there are so many great villain cosplayers, why aren't they signing up?

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Nekokichi-san

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »
(...) We would love to have more people involved in Cosplay Chess (especially if he wants to cosplay an evil character, because we've tried to get Good vs. Evil for so long but it hasn't happened yet :/), and it would be a great chance for him to feel more involved in con and get to know some more people that attend.

Is that why the Good vs. Evil thing hasn't happened?  Insufficient villains?  Dang, that's both sad and ironic - there are so many great villain cosplayers, why aren't they signing up?
I signed up to be an evil character, but I guess there just wasn't enough :/ It's too bad, I was really looking forward to fighting some good guys! Haha

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:42 pm »
THIS YEAR WAS SO AMAZING

i was really happy to actually see a big smile on jaki's face after wards which means it went greaaaatttttt :'D

And i've never been so happy to get killed off so quick, not cuz i didnt like being in it my self (i LOVE BEING IN CHESS) but because i could watch what every one did much easier and it was soooo funny
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:27:27 pm »
I also signed up as a villain (Hazama from Blazblue) in hopes of having Good vs. Evil. =\

Nonetheless, I still had loads of fun! =] For a while I didn't think I was going to die at all...what a fabulous life for a pawn! XD This year's chess was great, but the only thing that I would push would be for battles to be a little bit longer and more "epic-looking". I think I'll go post that in the pros and cons thread...
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »
I would be awesome for next year if everybody submitted a good character and an evil character~!
I know I'm doing quick a few villains next year and will probably state that my friends can wear my costumes so we can finally get that game!

Also, thanks to everyone who went to my panel, and sorry that it was so derpy...^^; I will be making it better for next year.

And my bestie and I are considering being Chess Masters next year, since I was kinda doing most of the banter anyways ^^;
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:45:58 am »
This year was one of the better games I've been in. I had a ton of fun and was glad I decided to apply at last minute.

I was Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho) on the Black Team. Meg and I danced out our fight which ended with me sitting on the ground going 'wha?'

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 10:24:53 am »
I heard chess went really well and was sad i didn't make it to see it.
NEXT YEAAR i will get my gears in check' and make it.
but good vs evil would be great .......
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

izamor

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »
Couldn't make it to chess this year, and really looking forward to the videos when they're posted.
Next year I really want to sign up and bring my Gino cosplay - I'd have to pick up a sword for him.
I might be able to get my friend who was dressed as a 300 Spartan to join the evil side. That'd be sick.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »
You guys played an amazing game, and it went great... thanks so much for all your hard work :)  I look forward to next year (and still hope for good vs evil!)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:31 pm »
I'll be submitting... one good, one evil, and one whatever character (I'm not sure where a pokemon would go O.o).

This year was AMAZING, though. I was so happy I got to take out someone. Also, everyone was wonderful and the fights were great! No duds this year :3
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline toonafeesh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »
OMG it was so much fun! I was the Queen on the Black side, and it was the most fun I'd had at con!

Thank you so much to my amazing and epic chessmaster! You truly were amazing!

Offline Syaoran_Sakura.Kinomoto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 09:36:59 pm »
Two words to describe this years Cosplay Chess

Good GAME!
Kumoru Con 2013 cosplay plan:
Friday: Secret Police Hacker Kagamine Len
Saturday: Black Rock Shooter (male version)
Sunday: Kagamine Len (Fleeting Moon Flower)
Monday: Secret

Offline Sunnybrook1

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Sunnybrook's dA Account
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »
You guys played an amazing game, and it went great... thanks so much for all your hard work :)  I look forward to next year (and still hope for good vs evil!)
Just for clarification, what ARE we short of? Good or Evil???  :-\

Offline Syaoran_Sakura.Kinomoto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 11:00:29 pm »
Just for clarification, what ARE we short of? Good or Evil???  :-\

I think we were short of both.
I was  a alt that became a pawn for the black team and all i could say its a mixture of good and evil on the black side and mostly good on white
Kumoru Con 2013 cosplay plan:
Friday: Secret Police Hacker Kagamine Len
Saturday: Black Rock Shooter (male version)
Sunday: Kagamine Len (Fleeting Moon Flower)
Monday: Secret

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »
That I can tell, we usually are short evil characters.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Starflinger

• Oni
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 11:42:46 pm »
I'm very grateful to have been allowed to participate as an alternate! If I'm ever able to do so again I will definitely try my hardest to put on a better show. I was just really nervous ^^; I was Ness, to clarify. Again thank you for letting me play! I had a lot of fun with you all ^^

izamor

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43:24 pm »
I thought I saw somewhere that it's evil characters we're short on.
Just submit one of each, or get a friend to submit something, and we should be set, I'd imagine.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:59 am »
So, really the only thing I didn't like was the end battle. It should have just been me against the rest of the players. Especially since "Raven" and I had planned out some stuff to do.

Other than that, it was great!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 02:48:38 am »
neko- i LOVED your iceking btw..... i'll be your princess any day (long as your well hydrated)

yeah i think submitting one of each should be a sneeky "requirement" next year (:P)
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 12:55:32 pm »
OMG it was so much fun! I was the Queen on the Black side, and it was the most fun I'd had at con!

Thank you so much to my amazing and epic chessmaster! You truly were amazing!

Glad you had so much fun, and thank you for the kind words n.n

So, really the only thing I didn't like was the end battle. It should have just been me against the rest of the players. Especially since "Raven" and I had planned out some stuff to do.

Other than that, it was great!

I don't know if the other chess master knew you had some stuff planned, but I definitely didn't know. We did the last fight because we saw that Sakura was getting creeped out by you so we thought it was fitting instead of waiting for a checkmate or having the kings battle.

@Everyone else: From what I've gathered from Jaki we are always short on evil characters. We've come really close to Good vs Evil multiple times, but we usually end up with a higher amount of good or neutral characters. So if you have an evil character, make sure you submit it! Let's just hope that we don't get oversaturated with evil so we have no good characters lol

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
I gotta say that would be kinda funny XD

This year, I will be cosplaying 4 evil characters, and submitting them all~
I'm also going to see when I make them if any of my friends can wear them so they'll have evil characters as well.

Though, my friend and I are thinking of being Chess masters next year. He wants to be GlaDos, while I'm thinking of being Discord. Because that would just be fun ^^
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)