Author Topic: 7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?  (Read 3832 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« on: September 14, 2005, 05:30:27 am »
i may be blessed with the chance to teach a four and a half month class based on anime to 7th through 12th graders (mixed).

any suggestions for content, what to show, creative assignments?

would folks on the forums be interested in seeing what i propose as my curriculum, assignments, projects, special guests, and field trips?
this would be, btw, in eugene next semester!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Hermisia_kitty

  • Sailor Scout
  • **
  • Posts: 169
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:59:38 am »
Well,  off the top of my head, I'de say as for animes to show, lots and lots of Miyazaki.  It is good for pretty much any age. Also, if you are going into anime history at all, the original Astroboy might be good.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline OnlyWinry

  • Cabbit
  • *
  • Posts: 42
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:43:23 pm »
You should come teach it at my school ^.^

Offline Dark-hobo

  • Sailor Scout
  • **
  • Posts: 71
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 06:44:50 pm »
Go through the styles. You gotta make sure you cover Lupin the 3rd. Just... cut out some of the more... entertaining parts in the anime :D. Cover Astroboy, Robotech was a nice leap, also the original gundam, cover some CG only anime(yes it exists). Is this going to be like a history or what?

" We must run from this... this hobo, this hobo that is dark" - General Volgun "The hobo Hunter" Opwusa

-goggle squad member

Put your hands on your hi

Offline Neko_Chan

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 2340
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 06:51:03 pm »
GATCHAMAN!
D: YOU MUST HAVE GATCHAMAN!
>_< No child is complete without seeing Gatchaman. I'm saving money to buy the DVDs.
Old School Anime = Looovvvveee.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

  • Sailor Scout
  • **
  • Posts: 169
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 07:03:42 pm »
And Anpanman.  Isn't it like the longest running Anime ever or something?  Because it just never ends.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline tarock

  • Sailor Scout
  • **
  • Posts: 56
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 07:25:19 pm »
hmmm
am I too late to respond to this
well my recommendations.

I would introduce them to a variety of genres.
I mean anime is not just pokemon, naruto, yugioh, sailormoon, gundam, or DBZ.
So I would try to avoid some of the more popualr and well known series.
I breif introduction about the history and start of anime would be cool.
I would definately show metropolis. which is done by the same person that did astro boy.  Definately show astro boy.
Maybe intorduce some artists.

you might also want to include manga in your course about anime.

I would show them that anime is targeted at a variety of audiences, and age groups.  some are serious,  some are goofy.
You might show Grave of Fireflies and Jin-Roh wolf brigade.
These two animes are really good,  but also kind of serious.  They are definately not geared for kids,  but that is not because of any nudity or guts.  It is just so serious and sad that it is not meant to entertain a young audience.

I really liked gundam Seed.  I have recently finished that series and I liked how they portrayed the series and the themes they built on throughout the anime.

Its kind of hard to decide what to pick.  I mean there is so much out there other than the main stream stuff we have.  You could show some popular anime, and then some lesser known stuff.

It is up to you on what you want to show them.

but animes that I would suggest showing are

KiKi Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Saint Tail
Read or Die OVA
Boogie Pop Phantom
Mobile Suit Gundam
Gundam Seed
Gunslinger Girl
GRave of Fire flys
Jin-roh Wolf Brigade
Metropolis

I can think of some others.  but most of them are eitehr violent,  or involve brife nude scenes.  Like Armitage Dual matrix It has one nude sene.  and I am wondering if the parents will have a fit if you were to show taht one,  and I wonder if it is even ok to show part of it.  I can add the ones that would have scenes that need to be cut out.

Assignments can be something like writing comparing miyazaki anime to disney cartoons.
Naming there favorite genre and why
What is your favorite anime
Writing about the themes or some anime
Comparing series with nothing but stand alone Episodes,  to series with a progressive plot told through the episodes.
Why do you think anime is so popular.
You could show some american cartoons and japanese anime and then compare the differences between the two.  Compare spider man to Vash The STampede in Trigun.  

I would consult Prof Levi.  She is at PSU.  She can give you advice, and might be able to make an appearance.

I would love to know what you plan on doing for this.  I would love to go over the cirruculum too.

Offline sassy_lassy

  • Chibi
  • ***
  • Posts: 307
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 08:19:59 pm »
You'll most definatly want to start with the history of anime. (or perhaps an quick intro to anime then into the history)

The history should start around 1917 or so... though this was not 'anime anime' it was the start of Japanese trying out animation. Then there is just blurbs of testing animation out until the 1930's I believe.

Toei Animation should be mentioned as they were the first that were successful in making an American-styled studio in their animation process. (Toei is still around today)

Also you'll want to mention that anime is usually based off manga. Which is the case with most of Osamu Tezuka (creator of Astro Boy, Metrapolis, and Kimba) Tezuka is considered a founder of manga today as well as animation.

Anyways, you'll want to mention the major artists that were in the start-up of anime being international. Such as Tezuka, Miyazaki, Takahata, and Otomo. Then you'll want to skim over the more modern ones yet ground-breaking anime ones like Ghost In Shell.

After going over history and some groundbreaking animes, as well as what is popular today (yes like pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon also go over popular adult swim ones like Inuyasha so they see the contrast of anime genres)

Then probably what would be good is showing them an overview of the process of making an anime or manga. Then show them how it is transalated and brought over to America.

Oh! And be sure to cover the fandom of anime and how it differs from Japan and America. America is fanatical about anime... unlike Japanese. Also explain conventions, cosplays, such like that. Maybe give them the Kumori Con info for shamless advertising.

If you have the budget you should try and get them all some sampler mangas to read ^-^' Like the Shonen Jump Sneak Peeks and so. That would be cool.

Special guests could be, if you can, maybe bring in Anime/manga editors, inspiring manga artists, anime convention presidents, and other things like that.

You could have each student make a one page comic in anime style as a project. Or you could have them make AMVs if you have the abilities and tools for the class. It's easy enough, have them bring in music, have clips of anime on the computer and a movie making program (which is free with most computers like Windows) and get to making. Though you may want to be sure the kids know the legalities on AMVs.

Another assignment or something could be that the kids could write down all the animes they know and what their opinions are about it BEFORE the class. Then on the last day of class they can do it again, and then compare their opinions from the first day and the last day.

Fields trips... to Blockbusters or Walden's Books! XD Show them the vast supply of manga at the book store. maybe not blockbusters...

Good luck with teaching and have fun ^_^
Sweet Times

Offline Dustin

  • Catgirl
  • ****
  • Posts: 552
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 09:47:57 pm »
Ok, first of all, I disagree with a previous post.

Do not, under any circumstances try to force feed Miyazaki to them. You want to let them look over some sutff and decide for themselves what interests them.

I remember back when Akira (Not Miyazaki's work, but there is a point to this) first came out, I was really young. But by the time I knew what it was, people were OVER-hyping it. I watched it, and was disappointed, and because of that, I have come to have a small disdain for Akira.

Do not make that happen to any of Miyazaki's works.

If anything, have a showing of at least Totoro and Spirited Away, and as a class assignment, you can have each of them write out how they feel Miyazaki's works have evolved over the years, and if they're becoming better or worse, why they believe so, and how they feel it could have been better. :D

Also, be sure to go over the slang commonly used by the Otaku community. Such as Baka, etc etc.
Be sure to explain things such as honorifics too. Theres nothing worse than being asked "Why did he call him Shiro-SAN"?

Honorifics are Otaku 101, and everyone should know them.

For a good list of said Honorifics and Otaku 101 slang, check out the ANN lexicon list, located here:
http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php

Another idea would be to go over the many genre's and the common genres. The more popular genres, but also the least popular genres.

An idea I also have would be to have each student look over a list of both anime and manga and pick a title, based on name alone, to watch and read, and right a report based on name alone. In this report they can explain why the picked the title, what they expected, what they got out of it, and how it differed from what they expected, aswell as if they're going to continue checking out the series they liked.

I'll see if I can come up with a few more ideas.

Offline Kimiski

  • Assistant Director of Publicity
  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 1660
    • Kimiski's Artwork
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 02:39:42 am »
WHAT?! Thates awesome! Come to my school as well and teach me!!

Start out with the classics and work your way up to today's anime is my advice.

But no seriously, come to my school XDDDDDD


Proud Attendee since: 2004
Proud Volunteer since: 2010
Proud Staff member since: 2012

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 03:48:40 am »
Quote from: "Hermisia_kitty"
Well,  off the top of my head, I'de say as for animes to show, lots and lots of Miyazaki.  It is good for pretty much any age. Also, if you are going into anime history at all, the original Astroboy might be good.


i plan to use a segment of mononoke as a prelude to discussing ecological issues and environmental activism against ecocide.

tell me more about astroboy? i think i remember seeing that name in the encyclopedia of anime, but i don't recall its content.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 03:49:54 am »
Quote from: "OnlyWinry"
You%20should%20come%20teach%20it%20at%20my%20school%20^.^


i'd%20love%20to!%20
has%20there%20been%20any%20anime%20content%20at%20your%20school?%20manga%20in%20your%20school%20library?%20anime%20club%20there?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 03:51:47 am »
Quote from: "Dark-hobo"
Go through the styles. You gotta make sure you cover Lupin the 3rd. Just... cut out some of the more... entertaining parts in the anime :D. Cover Astroboy, Robotech was a nice leap, also the original gundam, cover some CG only anime(yes it exists). Is this going to be like a history or what?


what do you mean by cg-only anime?

i love the reel big fish version of hungry like the wolf that is a lupin amv

i was hoping to find a couple all-ages ok amv to show

no, the course would not so much be a history of anime class, as a using-anime-as-a-way-to-get-kids-interested-in-learning-other-things class.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 03:53:51 am »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
GATCHAMAN!
D: YOU MUST HAVE GATCHAMAN!
>_< No child is complete without seeing Gatchaman. I'm saving money to buy the DVDs.
Old School Anime = Looovvvveee.


intriguing. never heard of gatchaman. what can you tell me about it?

to neko_chan and everyone: what makes your favorites your favorites? what makes old school old school? what makes canon canon?

(by canon i mean, the stuff that's considered what "every otaku must watch/read", as opposed to Kanon.....'go to your happy place. sad girls in snow!-megatokyo
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 03:55:25 am »
Quote from: "Hermisia_kitty"
And Anpanman.  Isn't it like the longest running Anime ever or something?  Because it just never ends.


never heard of that one, but i would be interested to know if anyone knows like the guiness book of world records type of facts about anime. like most popular, most copies sold, most watched on tv, most watched film, longest running series, most banned/censored, etc.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 04:01:27 am »
Quote from: "tarock"
hmmm
am I too late to respond to this
well my recommendations.

I would introduce them to a variety of genres.
I mean anime is not just pokemon, naruto, yugioh, sailormoon, gundam, or DBZ.
So I would try to avoid some of the more popualr and well known series.
I breif introduction about the history and start of anime would be cool.
I would definately show metropolis. which is done by the same person that did astro boy.  Definately show astro boy.
Maybe intorduce some artists.

you might also want to include manga in your course about anime.

I would show them that anime is targeted at a variety of audiences, and age groups.  some are serious,  some are goofy.
You might show Grave of Fireflies and Jin-Roh wolf brigade.
These two animes are really good,  but also kind of serious.  They are definately not geared for kids,  but that is not because of any nudity or guts.  It is just so serious and sad that it is not meant to entertain a young audience.

I really liked gundam Seed.  I have recently finished that series and I liked how they portrayed the series and the themes they built on throughout the anime.

Its kind of hard to decide what to pick.  I mean there is so much out there other than the main stream stuff we have.  You could show some popular anime, and then some lesser known stuff.

It is up to you on what you want to show them.

but animes that I would suggest showing are

KiKi Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Saint Tail
Read or Die OVA
Boogie Pop Phantom
Mobile Suit Gundam
Gundam Seed
Gunslinger Girl
GRave of Fire flys
Jin-roh Wolf Brigade
Metropolis

I can think of some others.  but most of them are eitehr violent,  or involve brife nude scenes.  Like Armitage Dual matrix It has one nude sene.  and I am wondering if the parents will have a fit if you were to show taht one,  and I wonder if it is even ok to show part of it.  I can add the ones that would have scenes that need to be cut out.

Assignments can be something like writing comparing miyazaki anime to disney cartoons.
Naming there favorite genre and why
What is your favorite anime
Writing about the themes or some anime
Comparing series with nothing but stand alone Episodes,  to series with a progressive plot told through the episodes.
Why do you think anime is so popular.
You could show some american cartoons and japanese anime and then compare the differences between the two.  Compare spider man to Vash The STampede in Trigun.  

I would consult Prof Levi.  She is at PSU.  She can give you advice, and might be able to make an appearance.

I would love to know what you plan on doing for this.  I would love to go over the cirruculum too.


thanks for such a well-thought-out, thorough and personal reply. yay! *glomps"*
feel free to additionally pm me, or email me at rem_saverem_was_right@yahoo.com
(anyone else may, as well, of course).

yes, toni levi is definitely assisting me in this project. we met at last year's con and have stayed in touch; i even beta'd a professional article she wrote for mechademia...a journal coming out next year

grave of the fireflies might be too depressing....but it might actually be something for me to excerpt for a class i'm doing on hiroshima/nagasaki (a one-day segment)

i will have to limit to pg 13....the interim director of the school isn't even sure he's going to allow me to run the class, because of concerns regarding ratings already having come up

i like the idea of comparing what makes a character a hero or heroine in japanese vs. in american made animation.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 04:11:10 am »
Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
You'll most definatly want to start with the history of anime. (or perhaps an quick intro to anime then into the history)

The history should start around 1917 or so... though this was not 'anime anime' it was the start of Japanese trying out animation. Then there is just blurbs of testing animation out until the 1930's I believe.

Toei Animation should be mentioned as they were the first that were successful in making an American-styled studio in their animation process. (Toei is still around today)

Also you'll want to mention that anime is usually based off manga. Which is the case with most of Osamu Tezuka (creator of Astro Boy, Metrapolis, and Kimba) Tezuka is considered a founder of manga today as well as animation.

Anyways, you'll want to mention the major artists that were in the start-up of anime being international. Such as Tezuka, Miyazaki, Takahata, and Otomo. Then you'll want to skim over the more modern ones yet ground-breaking anime ones like Ghost In Shell.

After going over history and some groundbreaking animes, as well as what is popular today (yes like pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon also go over popular adult swim ones like Inuyasha so they see the contrast of anime genres)

Then probably what would be good is showing them an overview of the process of making an anime or manga. Then show them how it is transalated and brought over to America.

Oh! And be sure to cover the fandom of anime and how it differs from Japan and America. America is fanatical about anime... unlike Japanese. Also explain conventions, cosplays, such like that. Maybe give them the Kumori Con info for shamless advertising.

If you have the budget you should try and get them all some sampler mangas to read ^-^' Like the Shonen Jump Sneak Peeks and so. That would be cool.

Special guests could be, if you can, maybe bring in Anime/manga editors, inspiring manga artists, anime convention presidents, and other things like that.

You could have each student make a one page comic in anime style as a project. Or you could have them make AMVs if you have the abilities and tools for the class. It's easy enough, have them bring in music, have clips of anime on the computer and a movie making program (which is free with most computers like Windows) and get to making. Though you may want to be sure the kids know the legalities on AMVs.

Another assignment or something could be that the kids could write down all the animes they know and what their opinions are about it BEFORE the class. Then on the last day of class they can do it again, and then compare their opinions from the first day and the last day.

Fields trips... to Blockbusters or Walden's Books! XD Show them the vast supply of manga at the book store. maybe not blockbusters...

Good luck with teaching and have fun ^_^


*waves and smiles* yay! hi, sassy lassy! folks, this girl is awesome!!! when my ren'ai panelist no-showed, she saved the day, and just improv'd the workshop herself! (with help later from another wonderful person, brien.) btw, i met your mom and sister later at bedtime stories. :)

hope that wasn't too embarrassing! but you just rock.

if i were teaching a class that was the history of anime, i would just put up my feet and relax, because you basically gave an ideal outline for such a class.

however, that's not what the administration would be willing to allow. rather, i just get to use anime as a basis for things they would normally have people do in school: creative writing, art, history, planning skills, social studies.

if the administration approves the proposal for the class, i would be allowed some special guests and some field trips.

i would probably be allowed one 3-hour class (or maybe 2) at the beginning of the term, to review the history of anime and manga. what you outlined above could definitely shape how i do that.

later, i was thinking of having the "midterm" be putting together a zine, with the goal of distributing it at sakuracon; the "fieldtrip" being to sakuracon (yes, the person who hired me said this was possible!); and the "final" being throwing a mini-con at the school.

i was thinking of using fruits basket as a prelude to studying comparative mythology. (naming the assignment would be spoilerific.)

i was thinking of using various clips of shows/manga in which characters change gender or cross-dress /pass to spark discussion of gender roles and sexuality definitions as viewed cross-culturally.

i was thinking of using akira to showcase aggression as a byproduct of war

other suggestions along those lines?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 04:14:12 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Ok, first of all, I disagree with a previous post.

Do not, under any circumstances try to force feed Miyazaki to them. You want to let them look over some sutff and decide for themselves what interests them.

I remember back when Akira (Not Miyazaki's work, but there is a point to this) first came out, I was really young. But by the time I knew what it was, people were OVER-hyping it. I watched it, and was disappointed, and because of that, I have come to have a small disdain for Akira.

Do not make that happen to any of Miyazaki's works.

If anything, have a showing of at least Totoro and Spirited Away, and as a class assignment, you can have each of them write out how they feel Miyazaki's works have evolved over the years, and if they're becoming better or worse, why they believe so, and how they feel it could have been better. :D

Also, be sure to go over the slang commonly used by the Otaku community. Such as Baka, etc etc.
Be sure to explain things such as honorifics too. Theres nothing worse than being asked "Why did he call him Shiro-SAN"?

Honorifics are Otaku 101, and everyone should know them.

For a good list of said Honorifics and Otaku 101 slang, check out the ANN lexicon list, located here:
http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php

Another idea would be to go over the many genre's and the common genres. The more popular genres, but also the least popular genres.

An idea I also have would be to have each student look over a list of both anime and manga and pick a title, based on name alone, to watch and read, and right a report based on name alone. In this report they can explain why the picked the title, what they expected, what they got out of it, and how it differed from what they expected, aswell as if they're going to continue checking out the series they liked.

I'll see if I can come up with a few more ideas.


definitely not going to force-feed anything to anyone. kids would have to elect to take the class, and i could make all viewings optional if i wanted to.

i understand the effect of over-hype. i've had that experience.

i concur, an otaku jargon decoder is a must!

reflecting back on sassy lassy's post, the pre and post what you think of anime assignment is a great idea!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 04:15:28 am »
Quote from: "kimiski"
WHAT?! Thates awesome! Come to my school as well and teach me!!

Start out with the classics and work your way up to today's anime is my advice.

But no seriously, come to my school XDDDDDD


that's sweet
what are the classics, in your opinion? what are the best of today's shows/manga, in your opinion?

what do you think your school would say if someone proposed such a class there?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline sassy_lassy

  • Chibi
  • ***
  • Posts: 307
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2005, 06:13:25 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
later, i was thinking of having the "midterm" be putting together a zine, with the goal of distributing it at sakuracon; the "fieldtrip" being to sakuracon (yes, the person who hired me said this was possible!); and the "final" being throwing a mini-con at the school.


Oh wow, that sounds awesome. If it was possible for the field trip to be Sakura Con that would be ideal. ^-^ That's a great idea! I wish someone would do that at my school... ^_^

Quote from: "RemSaverem"
i was thinking of using fruits basket as a prelude to studying comparative mythology. (naming the assignment would be spoilerific.)

i was thinking of using various clips of shows/manga in which characters change gender or cross-dress /pass to spark discussion of gender roles and sexuality definitions as viewed cross-culturally.

i was thinking of using akira to showcase aggression as a byproduct of war


Those sound rather good. Plus you can just show Fruits Basket's Ayame for the cross-dressing idea. Especially the scene he dances out in a wedding dress.

Sounds like you've got it going on though ^-^ I wish you all the luck for having a cool class.
Sweet Times

Offline RemSaverem

  • Bunnygirl
  • *****
  • Posts: 3365
7th-12th grade anime-themed class: suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 09:00:21 pm »
thanks....now if only i could get y'all to come to the meeting(s) at which it will be decided whether or not i could be authorized to teach it for real....*sweatdrop*

i'll keep y'all posted!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).