Author Topic: Being tormented at the convention  (Read 4527 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Being tormented at the convention
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:47 pm »
For those who have been to Kumoricon prior to this year, have you ever had any moments where you felt other people were were giving you a hard time and wouldn't stop?
The reason why I ask is because even though I look forward to being at the con this year, there is one thing I'm getting tired of.
The person I'm about to mention is someone I'll keep anonymous, but if he's a forum member and reads this, I hope it gets across to him.

At Kumoricon in '09, I dressed as a character from Tales of Eternia named Keele, who dresses like he's from the New Testament. Because the outfit looked biblical, people who didn't recognize the character thought I was cosplaying Jesus Christ. It wasn't that big a deal because I just told them who I was.
The problem with it is, there's one person who continued to address me that way whenever he saw me, even at later cons when I was cosplaying other characters.
I understand who I looked like, but when someone keeps addressing you as who they thought you were every time they see you and it still goes on, it gets old and very annoying. After I started to do other characters I told him this whenever I saw him and he still wouldn't quit.
I'm aware that it often is best to just ignore people when they do stuff like this, but considering how long this has gone on, I'm not sure it would work.
I don't have any difficult history overall with this person and we've never had any significant disputes. But even though he doesn't mean any harm with what he's doing, it needs to quit.
If he wants to see me as the Son of God, I'm okay with it if he just keeps the thought to himself around me. That way, it would work better for both of us.
But if it happens again, I'll warn him that I'll contact yoji if he does it a second time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:34:03 am by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Being tormented at the convention
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »
I never have had any bad interactions with people. Most likely because I look like a tank and they are afraid I'll steamroll them in a heartbeat. (I wouldn't, but the idea is deterrent enough.)

I can understand your frustrations though. I think you definitely gave yourself the best advice though.

But if it happens again, I'll warn him that I'll contact yoji if he does it a second time.

That's the best thing to do considering this isn't specific harassment. Just give them a warning, tell them they are rubbing you the wrong way, and if they keep it up, follow through with your promise.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »
(first off HI ya might not remember me but at the EGL tea party at the double tree years ago,  ya took a nice picture of me in my Lulu cosplay, ah back in my fighting weight)

I have had a couple here there at past cons, not lately.
In some cases it feels like people do not listen when they are told their actions are not okay with you, and treat you like you are overly sensitive.

reading your story this comes to mind
 when I was in collage a guy who I had a class with would sneak up from behind and mess with my hair,
first time I said I HATED when people did that
(with out getting into detail yea no touchy surprise from behind, it can freak me out)
apparently he heard "Tee hee I hate it when people do that <3 I am a girl with girly emotions and no means yes"

Sure enough tried it again and I came out punching,
He tried to talk to me latter and I told him I asked him not to do that, he did it anyway and he was a creep don't talk to me.

Apparently that wasn't enough to say "leave me alone" because latter when in the computer room he looked at me and made a big show of messing with the hair of a girl sitting next to him, and laughing loudly when he startled her, like I was overly sensitive to be upset because I asked some one not to touch me and touched me anyway
Me I was just glad it was not me cuz yeah creepy guy creepy
...that probably doesn't help, but yes as said ask nicely to be left alone and then take action
do feel free to talk to staff, that is what we are here for
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:26:30 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »
To reiterate what others have said, unwanted contact or communication with somebody when they've directly requested you to stop isn't acceptable, and the staff can and will enforce this. The best way to handle it is to bring it to the attention of the staff. The staff will need to communicate with the offender directly so that the staff can document that the alleged offender was fully informed of the request not to have further contact with you. If, after that has happened, if it continues to be a problem at the convention, staff can take further action.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:33:23 am »
superjaz: I remember the tea party from '05. It was my first Kumoricon.
It's good to hear from you again.

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through in college. It's frustrating when people behave like that, but at least it's in the past.

JeffT: Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to do that.

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »
mmm (it wasnt at kcon but at another con) don't mean to single out fandoms, because it was probably me and my friends fault for cosplaying and haning out with the group (this was at kuronekocon in spokane washington) but my friend was cosplaying from homestuck, and i was hanging out with the group because hey! i can like homestuck and not cosplay it you know.
anyways, a couple of people decided to play spin the  bottle in the park (now this was out in public man) and a bunch of them had just met and were grossly making out with each other in the park. and so we were discussing 'hey we should probably go' because it was kinda disgusting to us.
then another homestuck cosplayer grabbed my friends face and tried to kiss her, and in an attempt to get them to back off almost broke their troll horns and kinda had a terrible experience here. she decided she was done with homestuck because of this. whitch kinda sucks because i like it myself. but i don't blame her because there's other fandoms i have left specifically because the fans acted way too out of control...

but besides that for the most part its random glomps (ugh, my least favorite times, that can ruin cosplay AND get someone extremely hurt!) and endless horn honking from gamzee's (very obnoxious. i honestly think it should be a silent prop considering one blew a fog horn right next to my friggin ear)
but i've not had anything TOO BAD besides those things happen at a convention. nothing that really physically hurt me (because im a pretty tall person, and its kinda hard to knock me over with a glomp unless you're like rocket launching yourself at me (whitch i still dislike. i'd rather people just ask for a hug because im compleatly fine with giving one)) besides the fog horn. that made me temporarilly deaf in my right ear. and it really hurt....

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »
Fog horns should be one of those common-sense items that you don't bring to a convention with a large crowd of people. I can see staff having one, since it'd be used to get the crowd's attention or something. But a regular person attending shouldn't.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:36 pm »
If you see someone using a foghorn or similarly-loud noisemaking device in con space, please get the yojimbo immediately. We (staff) don't have much tolerance for someone physically harming others' hearing, regardless of who they are.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:38:25 pm »
If you see someone using a foghorn or similarly-loud noisemaking device in con space, please get the yojimbo immediately.
I've seen this term on this forum, but I have no clue what it means.. What is a yojimbo..?
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »
I've seen this term on this forum, but I have no clue what it means.. What is a yojimbo..?

Roaming staff for attendee service and policy enforcement. They are one of the more visible staff positions that attendees will often talk to.

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:04 pm »

Roaming staff for attendee service and policy enforcement. They are one of the more visible staff positions that attendees will often talk to.
Thank you so much!! TT^TT I've been trying to figure it out, but I couldn't.. Is it a term that just came up at a staff meeting, or from somewhere else?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:15 pm »

Thank you so much!! TT^TT I've been trying to figure it out, but I couldn't.. Is it a term that just came up at a staff meeting, or from somewhere else?

It's been around at least as far back as 2004. It means "bodyguard". Don't know the exact history beyond that.

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:57 am »
yeah i was kinda... really really upset about it....

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:30 am »

It's been around at least as far back as 2004. It means "bodyguard". Don't know the exact history beyond that.
That's so cool!!

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »
I never have had any bad interactions with people. Most likely because I look like a tank and they are afraid I'll steamroll them in a heartbeat. (I wouldn't, but the idea is deterrent enough.)
The best part is trying to imagine you being all big, bad, and rude. It just doesn't fit the Rodney I know. xD
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »
 ;D That put a big smile on my face. Thanks!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!