Author Topic: Anime Song Parodies, GO! Filking 101! [Approved]  (Read 2474 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Anime Song Parodies, GO! Filking 101! [Approved]
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »
Ladies and gents, if song parodies are your thing - if you've ever laughed out loud at a Weird Al song - and especially if you've written parodies of your own, I'm hoping to see you at Filking 101 and Filk It Up! next weekend!

Filking 101 will be a basic tutorial panel on how to write a fandom song parody ("filk"), including performances and the ever-popular Write Your Own Filk activity, where the attendees of the panel will collectively write and sing a brand-new filk, right there at the con!

Filk It Up!, on the other hand, is when I step down from that microphone and let you take the stage.   ;D  Please bring your own original song parodies, about any aspect of fandom, and get up front and center to participate in this showcase of local talent!  Or if songwriting/performing isn't your thing, drop by for a listen!  We had a great time last year, and more is definitely merrier.

So, who attended these panels last year?  Who's planning on coming again?  And do we have any newcomers planning to drop in?   ;)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Anime Song Parodies, GO! Filking 101! [Approved]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:28:39 pm »
This panel is just before one of mine, so I would like to attend, at least the end of it.  I can't say for sure yet, since I will probably be working in the Charity room.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:16:13 pm »
Great!  If you come for the end, you'll be able to participate in the group filk writing/singing, which is really the best part.  ;D

Will you be able to make it to Filk It Up?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:02 am »
It looks like I can!  I'm gonna have to start working on something...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Kangetsu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:20 pm »
My wife and I both made it out to the 101 panel this year, and I wanted to say that we had a blast. Thanks so much for hosting the panel! I was the person responsible for getting us started on "Slash, slash, slash a pair" (in retrospect, maybe more of a dubious distinction than I'd care to have earned. XD) I came away from it inspired enough to write some full length versions to share at the next con, be that Aki or Sakura. I've already got one that I'm putting the finishing touches on - to the tune of Oasis's "Supersonic", about the Pokemans.

One question I'd love to ask of our host - do you have any of your renditions recorded and available online/via other means?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:51 pm »
Awesome!   ;D  I'm so glad you guys had a good time!  Contributing to the group filks is always a prideworthy distinction.  ♥  I swear, this year's Filking 101 was the best iteration of that panel we've ever had.

And thank you so much for tipping us off about Akicon!  We live right across the highway in Bellevue (just moved this August) and would probably have never known it was going on until it was too late.  We're definitely planning to attend, and to submit a filking panel.  It'll most likely be very similar to 101, but with an open-mike segment for attendees with their own songs to perform, a la Filk It Up!  Hoping to see you guys there!

As for your question...I used to have a few recordings done with a cheap mike, but they consequently aren't very good.  Old embarrassments, so to speak.  If I ever get access to decent recording equipment, I might try again, but for now, live performances seem like the way to go.   :)

Offline Kangetsu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:09:17 pm »
We will totally be there for Akicon. With any luck, maybe I can even get my wife to pitch in for that one - she had lines she wanted to contribute during the panel, but was too shy to speak up no matter how good natured my elbowing was. XD

As for the other thing, I might be able to help! I'll send you a PM about it. 8D

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:38:28 pm »
I just realized that I still haven't posted the lyrics to the at-con filks written in Filking 101 this year!  I'm so sorry, you guys, it completely slipped my mind.  Kumoricon 2012 produced hands-down the most amazing filks we've had so far, in three years of doing this panel.  Way to go, everybody who attended!

The lyrics were:

To the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

What the heck are you doing, Black Star?
You should not be in this bar
Keep this up and you will die
You will make Tsubaki cry
What the heck are you doing, Black Star?
You should not be in this bar

Twinkle, twinkle, Power Star
How I wonder where you are
Can I even jump that high?
Without you, I won't survive
Twinkle, twinkle, Power Star
How I wonder where you are

To the tune of "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider"

The lovely Princess Zelda can turn into a man
Link didn't know his lady was a tran
Took off the mask and he was still a fan
So the lovely Princess Zelda spends weekends as a man

To the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"

Try, try, try again
Your character has died
Cry a river, press restart
Until your brain is fried

Slash, slash, slash a pair
All your favorite men
Canon, fanon, they don't care
Fangirls strike again!

Thanks again for being such an awesome panel audience, and I'll see you all next year!   ;D