Author Topic: Weapons policy (Wishing to keep seperate from the replica firearms thread)  (Read 2227 times)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
I know I'll probably take flack from this, but I just wish the ban on people with conceal carry rights and capabilities would be lifted. Publicly posting that you do not have the right to defend yourself is just inviting situations like that to happen, as it has with all of these mass shootings. Since the convention staff really believe they can take the responsibility of protecting con-goers better than they can protect themselves then expect there to be hell to pay if/when it happens and you fail in that responsibility. One would think that a conceal carry permit holder would be respectful and mature enough to know the difference between the responsibilities of a real weapon and a prop. The real bad guys don't really give a care about that rule except when it comes to the thought that runs through their head that a "gun free zone" really means "free kill zone". While I don't even own any guns myself and even if I did I would have to follow the rules, I would feel much more comfortable with the thought that maybe there were someone there with the mere possibility of there being someone with the capability of countering this kind of threat that even the police responding within 90 seconds of this latest massacre (at least according to the news at least...) have been unable to prevent 12 deaths and over 50 injuries (some of which, were confirmed military service members according to the FBI). Heaven help us if it ever does happen at Kumoricon, or any other con for that matter, but If I do survive such an incident, the staff responsible should be prepared to be put on trial for allowing such an atrocity to happen to the third degree of the crime that had happened.

I would also seriously like to inquire what gives the convention/convention staff the right to remove someone's rights that there are laws set to protect from such infringement. If there is a law stating you have this power I would seriously like to see where it is listed. I'm probably going out on a limb here, but is this the reason that Kumoricon is not held in Oregon anymore, due to the court ruling stating that universities have been exceeding their authority by banning guns, which would probably apply to conventions?

I know it is a sensitive (and to many even offensive) topic, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't voice my concerns, especially after a previous poster in the other thread brought the subject of the recent incident up. I would much rather not have posted this message and certainly do not wish to debate with anyone on the subject. Rather, I would like the people in charge to think and consider what may or may not happen. I do not feel safe coming to Kumoricon, but despite that I choose to anyway and hope for the best without having the ability to prepare for the worst even if I had the capabilities to. Please do not take it that I believe the staff has any intention for con-goers to be hurt in any way and is normally well intentioned and under normal circumstances do a good job. I just believe some of their methods are misguided and should take responsibility where it is due. Cheers to praying that we never have to come across such a situation, but I would rather not have to fear not being able to defend myself if I needed to while saying such a prayer....

Reluctantly hitting the post button with a heavy heart,
- Greg Atlas
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:58:28 am by GregAtlas »
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
If there is a law stating you have this power I would seriously like to see where it is listed.

It's the right to private property. (And therefore, trespass laws. RCW 9A.52.010, if you want a citation, though I don't think it's the type of law you were thinking of.)

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but is this the reason that Kumoricon is not held in Oregon anymore, due to the court ruling stating that universities have been exceeding their authority by banning guns, which would probably apply to conventions?

Are you serious? How many venues do you think there are that are suitable for our convention in this metro area, anyway?

Universities are government-owned, so the second amendment may apply to their rules. So no, it does not "probably" apply to conventions.

I know it is a sensitive (and to many even offensive) topic, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't voice my concerns, especially after a previous poster in the other thread brought the subject of the recent incident up. I would much rather not have posted this message and certainly do not wish to debate with anyone on the subject.

If you didn't wish to debate this, and were "reluctant" to post it, you could have emailed the executives privately about it.

Here is why your points are inapplicable. We are using weapon-like objects, including toy guns, as props and parts of costumes, in poses, and in photos. In situations where, if a real gun was present in such a manner, people might not realize it. Many people would assume without thinking that it was a realistic prop. All of these are incompatible with basic gun safety. This has nothing to do with the political views of the convention, or its views on self-defense, or the second amendment, or any of the things you're discussing.

Also, what makes you think armed security is not present at the convention? The hotel sets its own rules, and we have our own agreements with the hotel. The convention policies apply to convention badge-holders, but there are other relevant factors that you don't know about.

All this talk about holding the Kumoricon staff "responsible" to be "put on trial" is really something. If you can find a single anime convention of any significant size, open to all ages, that does not ban functioning firearms by their attendees, I'd like to hear it.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
If there is a law stating you have this power I would seriously like to see where it is listed.

It's the right to private property. (And therefore, trespass laws. RCW 9A.52.010, if you want a citation, though I don't think it's the type of law you were thinking of.)
I see what you're going for there with the breaking and entering along with trespassing, but you're right, that isn't what I was thinking of. After a little looking I would only assume you really meant RCW 9.41.300 though that also says people with permits are exempt from the ban. Your argument might make more sense if it were Kumoricon's private property, but to my knowledge it is public property and hotel property.

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but is this the reason that Kumoricon is not held in Oregon anymore, due to the court ruling stating that universities have been exceeding their authority by banning guns, which would probably apply to conventions?

Are you serious? How many venues do you think there are that are suitable for our convention in this metro area, anyway?

Universities are government-owned, so the second amendment may apply to their rules. So no, it does not "probably" apply to conventions.
As I said, I was going out on a limb. I don't believe it was the sole reason your reaction leads me to believe you thought I meant. I cannot help but wonder if it played a part, but for all I know, the staff had no idea about the ruling.

If you knew what court ruling I was talking about you would know it does not just apply to government-owned universities. In addition to that, doesn't even bring up the application of the 2nd amendment. The court was ruling that the universities did not have the power that is only held by proper state legislative bodies.
http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/A142974.pdf

The law that was upheld by the ruling was Oregon state law:
166.170¹
State preemption

(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

I know it is a sensitive (and to many even offensive) topic, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't voice my concerns, especially after a previous poster in the other thread brought the subject of the recent incident up. I would much rather not have posted this message and certainly do not wish to debate with anyone on the subject.
If you didn't wish to debate this, and were "reluctant" to post it, you could have emailed the executives privately about it.
I probably could have mailed the executives privately, but this is something I felt should be publicly voiced rather than ignored in a private mail. It is not just my own life at stake and it is not intended to be a debate. Not that I am not willing to discuss things in private.

Here is why your points are inapplicable. We are using weapon-like objects, including toy guns, as props and parts of costumes, in poses, and in photos. In situations where, if a real gun was present in such a manner, people might not realize it. Many people would assume without thinking that it was a realistic prop. All of these are incompatible with basic gun safety. This has nothing to do with the political views of the convention, or its views on self-defense, or the second amendment, or any of the things you're discussing.
What you are saying here makes no logical sense. You are acting as if I were suggesting the allowance of a real firearm to be used as props. While I believe the props should be handled as if they were the real thing (such as always pointing in a safe direction) as clearly stated on the rules page; A conceal carry holder is just what it implies: Concealed until valid reason otherwise exists. Do you really believe someone with the intent to cause harm would adhere to #1 keeping it concealed #2 upholding a rule that they intend to break along with numerous laws? A lawful conceal carry holder does not have any problem keeping their weapon out of sight and usually has systems in place where you would not even be able to tell they were carrying. My points are not inapplicable and you are coming across as someone who does not know what they are talking about or are perhaps too immature, irresponsible, or inexperienced to know the difference of responsibility between a prop and the real thing. If someone is waving around a real functioning weapon as a prop, they should not be at this convention and probably not even out in society.

Also, what makes you think armed security is not present at the convention? The hotel sets its own rules, and we have our own agreements with the hotel. The convention policies apply to convention badge-holders, but there are other relevant factors that you don't know about.
What makes you think I didn't know that? I went last year and saw the security in place in addition to the police patrols. I also know from my many friends in law enforcement that even armed security guards are trained to run from a threat and wait for police to respond in addition to being automatically fired from their job if they do decide to take care of the threat themselves (depending on the company of course). If the police arrive within 90 seconds of a shooting that causes so many casualties, why would it be any better at a convention?

Now, as for the hotel rules, that is a little more understandable if you are going by the hotel's rules rather than your own (along with being on private property). I've never known a hotel to place such signs up, but then again, I haven't gone to many hotels.

All this talk about holding the Kumoricon staff "responsible" to be "put on trial" is really something. If you can find a single anime convention of any significant size, open to all ages, that does not ban functioning firearms by their attendees, I'd like to hear it.

If someone is taking the responsibility of protecting over 4000 people upon themselves and away from the people legally capable of doing so then they should expect no less even if I did neglect to bring it to your attention. That responsibility is much heavier a burden than it sounds in text form.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+

I see what you're going for there with the breaking and entering along with trespassing, but you're right, that isn't what I was thinking of. After a little looking I would only assume you really meant RCW 9.41.300 though that also says people with permits are exempt from the ban.

I definitely did not mean that law.

Your argument might make more sense if it were Kumoricon's private property, but to my knowledge it is public property and hotel property.

There is a level of indirection. Kumoricon is a private event and thus sets its own rules, with the hotel's blessing (within the limits agreed to by the hotel).

If you knew what court ruling I was talking about you would know it does not just apply to government-owned universities.

I didn't know, and your description didn't look like it was enough to Google on (and reliably know we were talking about the same case).

In addition to that, doesn't even bring up the application of the 2nd amendment. The court was ruling that the universities did not have the power that is only held by proper state legislative bodies.
http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/A142974.pdf

You're right, the decision did not decide any question about the second amendment. It was a pre-emption question.

I skimmed through the entire decision and closely read a lot of it, and it does appear to apply only to government universities. The question was whether the pre-emption covered the Oregon State Board of Higher Education. The decision hinged on the fact that regulatory rules have the force of law, and thus fall under the pre-emption.

In contrast, Kumoricon is not passing anything with the force of law. It is setting a condition: To be a member of Kumoricon and to be in convention space, you must voluntarily agree to these rules. If you do not agree, the venue will require you to leave and if you don't, hold that you are trespassing. Hence, my cite of Washington's trespassing laws, not firearms laws.

You are acting as if I were suggesting the allowance of a real firearm to be used as props.

No. I'm recognizing that by disallowing firearms, even if concealed, we make the factual evaluation of people's actions more clear-cut.

My points are not inapplicable and you are coming across as someone who does not know what they are talking about or are perhaps too immature, irresponsible, or inexperienced to know the difference of responsibility between a prop and the real thing.

It doesn't matter whether I am all of those things; some attendees are. Not all attendees are familiar with our exact weapon policies, and if we had different policies that had one section for "prop" policies, but then stated that none of it applied to concealed carry (and only when concealed), it would make things more complex. Yes, nearly all concealed carry owners know responsible gun handling, but not all attendees do and know how it will be handled, and it may create the potential for fear when realistic-looking (or real) guns are spotted.

Washington allows open carry. So we would need to make our policies not allow open carry, but exempt concealed carry. This creates a situation where a person who carries openly (but not in a manner qualifying as brandishing, which would be illegal, and thus could warrant a police response) would need to be told by either Kumoricon or hotel staff to either leave or to conceal the weapon. This is a situation which creates ambiguity in the minds of attendees who are too "inexperienced" to know the nuances of gun ownership.

Virtually every anime convention disallows functioning firearms. So yes, you are right, we could probably craft a set of policies and training that would allow concealed carry. This would require extensive legal research on our part as we would be among the first or only conventions to do this. We would need to account for situations such as non-badge-holders (who thus have not agreed to the policies) demonstrating open carry (for example in the hotel lobbies) as some people in Seattle routinely do as a sort of publicity stunt, and make sure our staff know the appropriate nuances and ways to respond.

If you think the above reveals that I am too ignorant of the subject matter, please understand that the required level of knowledge is not universal and that it means we would need to consult paid counsel to do this sort of research.

There's another point that settles all of this. The Hilton Vancouver Washington itself does not allow any firearms. So the situation is literally out of our hands. However, the above discussion illustrated all of the reasons for our policies as if we were in a venue without this restriction.

What makes you think I didn't know that? I went last year and saw the security in place in addition to the police patrols. I also know from my many friends in law enforcement that even armed security guards are trained to run from a threat and wait for police to respond in addition to being automatically fired from their job if they do decide to take care of the threat themselves (depending on the company of course). If the police arrive within 90 seconds of a shooting that causes so many casualties, why would it be any better at a convention?

Because there are other factors that change this situation, which are known to the Kumoricon board and on which we have nothing to announce yet.

If someone is taking the responsibility of protecting over 4000 people upon themselves and away from the people legally capable of doing so then they should expect no less even if I did neglect to bring it to your attention. That responsibility is much heavier a burden than it sounds in text form.

Kumoricon is doing no such thing, and is not taking responsibility of "protecting" our attendees. You are voluntarily choosing to become a Kumoricon member, and if you wish to only travel to places where concealed carry is allowed, that is your choice. But we are taking away nobody's legal rights.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Jeff Stated it and I am going to state it again, The Vancouver Hilton is a State Convention center and as such does not permit firearms on it's Property, except in the case of Law Officers and Possibly active Military members.

This is not about our policies as the venues policies trump ours.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-