Author Topic: Good alternatives to the Red Lion and Hilton?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Tfish

• Oni
Good alternatives to the Red Lion and Hilton?
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Something close in distance would be nice!

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
Re: Good alternatives to the Red Lion and Hilton?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:04 pm »
econo lodge

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:31 am »
To my recollection, ^ would be the "best" alternative, but there are other options.

The furthest option that's still within the downtown area is the Comfort Inn & Suites at 401 East 13th Street.

There are two others that are a little bit closer than the Comfort Inn, being:
  • Franklin Suites - 1014 Franklin Street
  • The Briar Rose Inn - 314 West 11th Street

I should also point out a place called the Evergreen Inn.  Many people (including myself) have assumed that this place is an inn, but it's not.  As I understand it, it's a mental health service type of place, along the lines of a retirement home or a hospice clinic; I don't really know any details beyond that.  So, as a head's up, Evergreen Inn is NOT applicable for con-goers... most of 'em.  ;D

I don't think there's any other options regarding hotels, but if you can talk to a Vancouver native, preferably one that's somewhat close to, or within, the downtown area, I'd recommend looking at bunking with them.  (I'd offer my place, but we're already going to have a full house as it is...).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:54:24 am by Washougal_Otaku »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:18:06 am »
Econo Lodge has some scathing reviews on the internet that worry me a little... has anyone stayed there before, or does anyone know someone who has?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:49:41 am »
i have last year

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55:42 am »
I've stayed at a La Quinta Inn last year in Vancouver (or, I think it was Kumoricon 2010 when it was in Portland...).

The Pros are that (in my opinion,) the hotel is VERY nice, GREAT breakfast, and $64-$69/night. If you have a pet you have to take with, the hotel IS pet friendly. The latest reviews are great (the older reviews were AWFUL, but that's before they remodeled and changed everything.)

The only Con I really have (haha, a CON for a hotel I'm staying at for an anime CON c: ) It's about 3-7 miles away from the actual event, so if you REALLY just want to stay somewhere local, then I won't recommend the La Quinta Inn for you. But, my mom and I don't care about the distance. We just look for something that's nice, except cheap.

So besides the distance, the La Quinta is WORTH IT. I'd give it an A.
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:25 pm »
LaQuinta is pretty good.  I stayed at one in Seattle during SakuraCon this year.  However, the only one in Vancouver is in the Salmon Creek area, which is about 7 miles away from the con site.

Hmm... according to their website, rates at THIS LaQuinta start at $66 a night...  It looks like you'd want to drive to & from the hotel, though; the bus system in that area is extra crappy during the weekends and holidays...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh