Author Topic: Naruto Dub Discussion  (Read 20592 times)

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Naruto Dub Discussion
« on: September 10, 2005, 06:07:58 pm »
Ok, so, lets start the discussion for the dub.

So far, I think its ok. However, I am posting this around six minutes into it.

Sakura, Ino, and Hinata all sound pretty good.

Oh, and for crying out loud, Naruto said "Iruka-sensei".

So far, the only voice I havn't liked is Naruto's, himself.

Sounds a bit like Luffy from One Piece (Which took the title of worst dub ever from DBZ).

Oh, and I dislike how "Henge no Jutsu" became "Transform" and "Transformation".

Also, they changed the music. Some weirdish rock/hip hop thing.

Rocks is good enough to hit the top charts in Japan, but not good enough to be the opening in an american Anime dub.

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 06:21:48 pm »
O_O I THOUGHT IT STARTED AT 9!

Are!
O_O; It's stupid Zatch bell with Folgare and the nipple hearts! TT__TT
You scared me...
What time zone are you in, nyo?

Offline xAlphonseElricx

• Cabbit
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 06:30:11 pm »
Gasp! :shock:  Im pretty sure your in a different time zone ^^;;...I know that Im gonna be scared to see the dub, dubs scare me =(
兄ーーさん! あいしてる!<3

Offline Panda-kun

• Cabbit
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 06:34:00 pm »
Why, oh why, did they dub naruto!? :cry:
Please do not confuse me with Panda0_0, I'm not cool enough. : (

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 06:40:53 pm »
Quote from: "Panda-kun"
D: Beacuse they hate you and everything you stand for.

Offline Panda-kun

• Cabbit
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 06:48:48 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
Quote from: "Panda-kun"
D: Beacuse they hate you and everything you stand for.
How mean! :cry:  They could have atleast chose a naruto voice that sounded like his original one. :cry:   Oh weeell, guess I'll just have to buy DVDs to get the original ones. :shock:
Please do not confuse me with Panda0_0, I'm not cool enough. : (

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 06:49:02 pm »
>_>@my location.

No, I have satallite. So, umm, I get Cartoon Network from the other coast.

Hence, I get to watch it at six. :D

Trust me, its on right now.

They cut alot out of the first episode, mostly for time constraints, I believe. They added some dialouge where there was none, and changed some of the dialouge, but, overall, it isn't that bad.

Everything seems to be good so far, aside from what I previously stated.

One gripe I have is they called Konoha "The villiage hidden in the leaf".

Well, Iruka does in the first episode. It sounded so bad I laughed. LOL.

They should have called it "The hidden villiage of Konoha" then this, the second episode (Which introduces Konohamaru) would make alot more sense.

OMG, Iruka just said "Geneen" (Attempting to say Genin).

WTF.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 06:52:32 pm »
So long, half-decent fanfiction.  This is why I only let myself fall in love the the video-game fandoms, at least we know we will never have to deal with hoards of dubbies.  Bless their little hearts, watching anime on cable.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 06:58:05 pm »
Quote from: "Hermisia_kitty"
So long, half-decent fanfiction.  This is why I only let myself fall in love the the video-game fandoms, at least we know we will never have to deal with hoards of dubbies.  Bless their little hearts, watching anime on cable.

Yes, because we all know that the translating Aerith's name as Aeris was OK!

-_-

Oh, and we all know FFX had an awesome dub.

>_>

Lets face it, no matter what it is, it will get something lost in the translation.

However, trying to maintain as much of the original is probably the best thing they can do.

Some companies don't even try to do that though.

For instance, 4Kids. They don't give a damn where anime is from, and they believe people don't care that its anime.

People like that are the reason stuff gets screwed.

One Piece could have been MUCH better, and that, overall, would have probably made it more popular.

EDIT:
By the way, the second episode just ended.

The opening and ending are the same song, however the opening is just a cut up version of the first opening. The ending has cuts of the first opening and the second opening in it.

Not a trace of Wind to be found. Bastards.

Wind is one of the best endings I have ever seen/heard in anime.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 07:10:50 pm »
Ok, in the FFVII's defence, in katakana it was "Earisu" I don't think I would have done much better of a job figuring out her name.

Hey now, I like the FFX vocal cast.  Except for maaaaybe Wakka, but I probably would have wanted to punch him in the original anyway.  *Is way to much of a Tara Strong fangirl for her own good*

Yah, I really don't understand why they are not putting more effort into the dubbings they show on TV.  Some of the stuff is just plain weird.  Like in Saint Seiya, replacing the blood with bright blue sweat.  WTF? The whole show looked like a bad Gatorade commercial.  And don't get me started on "Sailor Moon says".  DID ANYONE EVEN WATCH THE ORIGINAL TOKYO MEWMEW? Because it sure doesn't look like it.

But I digress, Sailor Moon and DBZ had mediocre dialogue to begin with.  (Search your feelings, you know it to be true.  "Hearkened by a new era, the Soldier from a distant star, Sailor Uranus- acting gorgeous!")  But Naruto has AWESOME writing for a beat-em-up Shonen-type anime, and really un-lame music to boot.  I just don't understand why they are actively lowering the quality of the programs they are putting on the air.  It sold plenty of merchandise in Japan just the way it was.  Why can't we leave it that way?

*will do her best to not watch it, will probably fail and whine loudly as the bad Hip-hop plays.*
Edited for spelling, 'cuz I suck, yo.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 07:16:09 pm »
No... 'Winds'...?
-listens to it again and again on her mp3 player- TT___TT IT CANT BE TRUE. No. Don't tell me it's true... I'll cry.
-shakes you by the scruff of your neck- D: ITS NOT TRUE. STOP.

-sniffles- I just saw a preveiw thing for it... And the ending line was "...Only one will rule the school". Made me Angry. Beacuse it just did... Man... I know this'll become the next Pokemon for a bunch of kids and they'll grow up into the anime fandom. But damnit. D: Why could'nt it just be that Americans but aside their big ego's for a moment and stick to the words that the characters are saying?

It's not "naRUto" it's just "Naruto". With no empasis on the 'ru' and makeing the 'to' sound like 'do'. D: That pisses me off too.

[/rant with some things that may be wrong]

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 07:22:15 pm »
You don't have to watch them dubbed in english... Voices aren't really that good

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 08:19:14 pm »
No... 'Winds'...?
-listens to it again and again on her mp3 player- TT___TT IT CANT BE TRUE. No. Don't tell me it's true... I'll cry.
-shakes you by the scruff of your neck- D: ITS NOT TRUE. STOP.

-sniffles- I just saw a preveiw thing for it... And the ending line was "...Only one will rule the school". Made me Angry. Beacuse it just did... Man... I know this'll become the next Pokemon for a bunch of kids and they'll grow up into the anime fandom. But damnit. D: Why could'nt it just be that Americans but aside their big ego's for a moment and stick to the words that the characters are saying?

It's not "naRUto" it's just "Naruto". With no empasis on the 'ru' and makeing the 'to' sound like 'do'. D: That pisses me off too.

[/rant with some things that may be wrong]

Its true, no Wind. Not at all.

No Rocks, either. Which means there will probably not be any of the original music, aside from the BGMs. Not on TV anyways.

@Hermisia_kitty

Yeah, well, Aerith's name should still have been Aerith. Nobody probably cares by now, but I guess I am a stickler for things like that.

I disliked Yuna's voice alot in FFX. Rikku's was quite annoying too, but, she was meant to be that way.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 08:38:14 pm »
Oh, and I forgot that they cut the name "Nanaki" out of the game entirly.  What was up with that?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 08:41:19 pm »
Wow, someone dares to like a dub and all of a sudden they're a "dubbie" and to be scorned and derided for their lack of knowledge about the series they like, huh? What if they just happen to like the way the dub sounds better?

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 08:46:10 pm »
I'm not saying that it's not OK to like the dub.  I prefer the dub on some shows too.  It's just frustrating when a fandom has a huge influx of people that are behind on the canon and refuse to get caught up and sometimes look at you funny when you say "Usagi".

But I would geuss that %90 of we anime fans started out on some dub or another, so I should probably be more open minded.  It's just hard to deal with the sillyness and not get a touch bitter, see?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 09:04:40 pm »
OHMYGOD.
Naruto's voice is soooo **** ANNOYING.
Sakura... is like. Ugh...
TT__TT It's not even 5 minutes into it and I hate it...

Dude. THey didn't show the blood shooting out of his nose. WTF? D: WHY?

Edit:
Dude, is the person who voices Naruto a girl? >_> Props to girls for /convincing/ voice acting, but this is not one of them...

Is the background music diffrent too?

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mushoku
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 09:15:01 pm »
Well im gonna flat out say it, the naruto dubbing blows ass.... The voice sounds Identical to Milo from the oblongs which is annoying.... so  yeah nothing against anyone who actually likes the dubbing so far.... I just had to get that off my chest. although its not very far into the show I am so far very disappointed with it.... I'm just hoping they didnt screw over Kakashi or Jiraiya...
Bamboo + Cellphone...I see possibilities....

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
Fan subs are better
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 09:17:10 pm »
I don't see the point in wachting the english Dub versions >.< Cause they use horrible voices sooo I'm gonna stick with Fansubs for me^^

Way better plus they have a ton of episodes out already

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 09:38:54 pm »
Oh well, the fact that they kept the plot basicly intact (Except for explaining *how* Naruto got the scoll) is a good sign.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 09:44:37 pm »
Yeah..Sakura and Naruto sound too..childlike to me. And Iruka..I can't really explain it but he sounds weird. Hokage-sama and Konohamaru sound pretty good though.

I guess the whole "Naruto Uzumaki" "Sasuke Uchiha," etc is kind of weird.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 09:47:19 pm »
I'm not saying that it's not OK to like the dub.  I prefer the dub on some shows too.  It's just frustrating when a fandom has a huge influx of people that are behind on the canon and refuse to get caught up

Maybe they just don't want to be spoiled.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 10:04:32 pm »
@ Blackjack  Which I can appriciate.  However, if one chooses not to be caught up on the canon (which again is a personal choice) one has to understand that those of us who are up on the canon will be a bit frustrated from time to time.

Really, honestly, I'm not attacking you personally you are welcome to be a fan of the dub of any show. I'm just saying that as a general rule, fandoms that don't have to deal with the "Dubbie/subbie" rift tend to run more smoothly.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 10:05:31 pm »
Dude. THey didn't show the blood shooting out of his nose. WTF? D: WHY?

Because Americans wouldn't get it. They would be even more confused if blood came out of his nose. Only Anime fans get that. It really isn't necassary to show that.

Is the background music diffrent too?

No. It's not. It's the original background music.

_____

I thought it was decent. You have to get use to Naruto's voice... but it's okay.  

They actual show Sexy no Jutsu and CALL it Sexy! And Harem no Jutsu. That's something right there.

Blood is shown on Iruka and such. There is barely any editing at all...

I actually think 4kids did a really good job on Naruto. I mean... how good can one get?
Sweet Times

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2005, 10:06:00 pm »
You know, it's not the worst dub ever.

In fact, I think it's actually quite good.  Can we all think about what it could have been?  What if it had been dubbed 4Kids style?  No, no one seems to be able to pronounce Naruto correctly (except the Hokage, apparently), they didn't keep the original opening or closing (which is a damn shame, as they were excellent), some of the voices don't sound exactly like the original Japanese voice actors, but it's not like they raped it with a cactus and then poured lemon juice on it.

I'll probably keep catching it whenever it's on and I'm home.  I'm behind on the canon, too, simply because I work part time and go to school full time.  I don't have enough free time to download, verify the quality, and watch 200+ episodes right now.  This is a free Naruto fix, and I don't have to go to any work to get it.

Not that I don't want to catch up on the series, of course.  It's just that getting good grades and graduating on time takes priority.

FizzTheCarbonated

Edited to add:  Sassy Lassy, 4Kids didn't do the dubbing for Naruto.  Viz/ShoPro did.  You can tell, because the Naruto hasn't been raped with a cactus in a pool of lava while having acidic poo thrown at it.
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 10:15:33 pm »
Quote from: "FizzTheCarbonated"
Sassy Lassy, 4Kids didn't do the dubbing for Naruto.  Viz/ShoPro did.

Ah... I guess that explains a bit. I guess I thought it was 4kids for some reason.

=====

Gosh... I can't get over the scene with Naruto panting right before Iruka finds him... it looks so naughty xD *watches encore*
Sweet Times

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2005, 10:27:31 pm »
Quote from: "sassy_lassy"

Gosh... I can't get over the scene with Naruto panting right before Iruka finds him... it looks so naughty xD *watches encore*

Oh gods, I know.

"Oooh, scroll...  That was amazing...  Can I call you tomorrow?"

FizzTheCarbonated
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline Emerald

• Cabbit
    • http://rbd.eqguilds.net
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 11:01:00 pm »
Look at it this way...

Soon...you will go to a mall and see little kids wearing the head protectors all over the place (not just at anime conventions)!

I think the dubbing was decent. Of course, getting use to the voices is annoying but at least it seems they havent dramatically changed the story line thus far. And since no "new" Naruto came out this week, I needed something to stop all the shaking from going through withdrawls.
Emerald

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 11:02:08 pm »
sorry we already called the scroll for a goggle slash sequel

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2005, 11:15:29 pm »
really...imo, people seem to making the naruto dub much worse then it is.  I quite honestly think its quite good(although they do fumble sometimes) compared to other things I've seen.

in the case of the jutsu names, they're simply providing the direct translations from my understanding...which really sounds kinda stupid in english.

as for voices...well they dun exactly have a very large list of voice actors here in america if you want to exact same voice sound(voice acting isn't exactly big here, while its very very big in JP).  while it took a bit of getting used to(since I've seen JP verison), I think the english voices are quite fine and their overall tone & feeling fit with the characters on what I've heard.  sidenote, naruto(dunno about sakura) sounds like the right age, he is only 12 after all

also, remember they're changing a few things so that a brand new fan will understand whats going on(they aren't going to understand what "chatora" has to do with a cat...).  plus they have censor laws to worry about(more so with the risk of big fine/lawsuit).  really, the story is the most important thing that carries across the translation.

As for bashing any new fans of the shows(and to anime) or them not wanting to rush ahead on the series...would you do the same if it was an anime fan that was out of the loop or gotten behind on a series?  would you still want to spoil the story for them simply cause of your own personal reasons?  honestly, bashing any newcomers to naruto or just anime in general is crossing the line of bigotry if you ask me.  make your opinions on the translation, not the fans.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2005, 11:40:12 pm »
@ Blackjack  Which I can appriciate.  However, if one chooses not to be caught up on the canon (which again is a personal choice) one has to understand that those of us who are up on the canon will be a bit frustrated from time to time.

Really, honestly, I'm not attacking you personally you are welcome to be a fan of the dub of any show. I'm just saying that as a general rule, fandoms that don't have to deal with the "Dubbie/subbie" rift tend to run more smoothly.

Well, say it wasn't a dub thing. Say it was a show in reruns. Say someone got into watching something during the reruns and didn't want to be spoiled on what happened later on, and people kept insulting that person for that. It's the same thing--it's not a dub/sub thing, it's a time thing.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2005, 11:58:33 pm »
Either you are missing my point, or I am missing your point.  Either way, a point is being missed somewhere.  Do you have AIM?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2005, 12:55:05 am »
hurray for missing points

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2005, 01:42:01 am »
An interesting note.

Since Viz is doing both the anime and manga, I half expected Naruto to yell "Ninja Centerfold Technique".

He actually said "Sexy Jutsu", which, yeah, is a bit better than the original. "Sexy no Jutsu" would have sufficed, aswell.

I believe they should have gone the RuroKen (Rurouni Kenshin) route with this and left technique names the original japanese. It just sounds so much cooler that way.

As an example. Imagine Kenshin saying "Amakakeru Ryu No Hirameki". Sounds good and fine. And it worked well in the anime. Now imagine him saying "Heavenly Dragon Flash". It just doesn't retain the same emphasize on how important the name is.

Maybe its just me, but I prefer it like that.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2005, 01:45:45 am »
Everything sounds less lame in Japanese.  That's why I love J-pop.  Same catchy tunes, but you don't have to listen to what they are saying. XD
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2005, 01:55:28 am »
Everything sounds less lame in Japanese.  That's why I love J-pop.  Same catchy tunes, but you don't have to listen to what they are saying. XD

Except english.

Watch Beck.

I love watching them try to get English words right, and actually laughed during some of it.

I can't help it, when I see, or hear, Japanese people who are not good at English speak it, I laugh.

As I am sure they do when American's attempt Japanese and brutally slaughter it.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2005, 08:49:39 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"

Except english.

Watch Beck.

I love watching them try to get English words right, and actually laughed during some of it.

I can't help it, when I see, or hear, Japanese people who are not good at English speak it, I laugh.

As I am sure they do when American's attempt Japanese and brutally slaughter it.

Tom gave me a cd with some Mini Moni clips on it... and they have an english course.... No comment. ;D
But really... Give them points for trying. And they're so cute!

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2005, 11:52:01 am »
Our Japanese teacher made us sing Minimoni for a final exam once.  It was... ah.... hm....
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Bow-

• Cabbit
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2005, 01:37:39 pm »
Anyone else think that Naruto sounded..well..exactly like "zatch" bell?
Gonna have to look that up and see..

*later*
Guess it isn't. ah well.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2005, 01:42:19 pm »
I saw a fansub of the first few episodes, and in their translations "sexy jitsu" turns into "the seduction technique" (Naruto). In episode 2 it's the "temptation technique" (Third Hokage) And "Iruka-sensai" was in their sub a few times.  Also there really wasn't an intro piece in that first episode. The theme was playing over a good portion of the beginning of that episode, which is why I'm thinking they left it out and made a smaller intro. The background music, as someone already pointed out, was the same.

Oddly, I didn't think the english voices were that far off the japanese voices. (Sakura had the same annoying tone and pitch in both languages). Nothing anywhere near as out-of-character as Sanji in One Piece nor as heart-crushing as the Geneon version of Reload.

And the translation, from what I saw in this particular fansub was pretty close.

Not having seen more than the first 3 episodes fansubbed, I'd have to say it wasn't that bad.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2005, 04:18:48 pm »
Okay, time for my report I guess.

Overall, not too bad.  Like several other people here, I didn't really like Naruto's voice.  It sounded to... ... ... ... "scratchy" I guess is the word I'm going for.  The seemed to do an okay job on other voices.  Ino's and Shikamaru (I never his name, spelling?) sounded pretty good, so did Iruka and the Hokage.  I'm still waiting to see what they'll do for Kakashi and Sasuke.  I only heard a few words from Kakashi during commercials but not enough to make a decision.  Sasuke's voice I'm waiting patiently for (please for the love of all that is good and holy make him sound cool).

Other things, I didn't get why they would edit the nose-bleeds.  Personally, if I didn't know the real reason, I would be more confused why someone suddenly flew through the air with no sort of propultion.  I was really surprised by the fact they kept in "Sexy Jutsu" and "Harem Jutsu."  They even showed Naruto and Konohamaru going into the bookstore to look at certain magazines.  And finally, they kept in the word "Kill"; not destroyed, not beat, not stop, but they actually used "kill."

And yeah, I was sad they got rid of the original ending theme (opening I don't remember too well).

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2005, 06:06:20 pm »
I personally never understand the Dub vs Sub battles. They are almost as bad as the Manga vs Anime or the Movie vs Book battles. All pointless, no understanding of the actual process of how production works and can't seem to except it for what it simply is... entertainment. If you like the Dub great, watch it. If you like the Sub great, watch it but quit the whole elitist arguments about how they don't understand American anime audience or Japanese method is so much better. These aren't targeted towards people who have already seen them and have fan dubs honestly; they are targeted at a much broader audience.

How many people were actually at the Dubbing Demonstration with Toshi? How many people actually paid attention, listened and watched how much work goes into just a few minutes of work?

The first thing when a new anime comes out is people complain about the dubbing and how they changed this or that. They make assumptions based that they don't care, they just change whatever they want. Sure there is probably one or two cases to that but this isn't like dubbing back in the 80s, everything is much better. A lot of consideration is taken into even the slightest changes.

Most American audiences react differently to certain things that only mainstream anime fans would understand, it is like an inside joke. In order for anime industry to keep making money they have to target a broader audience not just the anime elite. Certain things due to cultural differences do need to happen otherwise it wouldn’t sell.

The Japanese language doesn't directly translate into English perfectly, if they dubbed the literal Japanese the flaps (mouth motions) would never match. So yes adjustments have to be made. Not to mention anyone who thinks they can do better I would challenge them to try. It is voice acting, it isn't simply reading a script and it is 10 times harder than normal acting. The only tools a voice actor has to work with is their voice. They also have to match their dialogue to the flaps.

I agree there are some anime that are better than dubbed, just as there are some that are better subbed. Just watch it, enjoy it or don't but why does everyone have to rip everything apart.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline No_Face

• Oni
Meh..
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2005, 07:00:14 pm »
It was alright. I liked the dub. I had never seen the japanese version though. I hated anruto as a matter of fact. Hated seeing those freakin' headbands at ever freakin' convention. But it was alright. and as for the "sexy jitsu" and "sexy no jistu" I don't think it really matters. It funny either way.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2005, 11:00:36 pm »
@HaSanGo
No one here is shouting "All dubs/subs stink!" nor is anyone saying they are an elitist.  This is more of a "Hey, they did this and that in the dubbing.  I can't believe the kept that."  Some of it good, some bad.  It varies from person to person but very rarely will anyone say to another "pick a side."  Also, we know we can't really change the voices of it, it's more of a "how would you rate ____'s voice?  Good?  Bad?"

And sometimes (like in my case) people will watch it to make sure they didn't change not the wording of the anime which most of the times is a drop in the ocean, but the meaning and large details.  Prime example: Cardcaptors.  And you don't want me to get started on what they did with that.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2005, 11:29:07 pm »
Oh noes! Must not have a female main charecter in an action show! Who would watch that?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2005, 10:48:22 pm »
so far it's not too bad.  I mean nothing really beats One Piece for being worst dub ever.  Still, the way they say certain words are not right, and Naruto does sound a lot like Luffy.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2005, 10:59:40 pm »
No, unquestionably the worst dubbing ever was for Samurai Trooper/ Ronin Warriors.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 05:55:33 pm »
No, unquestionably the worst dubbing ever was for Samurai Trooper/ Ronin Warriors.

Actually, I'd go with Robotech for worst dubbing, so far.

But that was back in dubbing's infancy.

Ironicly, I found one of my old Harmony Gold Robotech tapes the other day with the FIRST episode on it. I dusted off the VCR, watched it, and re-lived some of my past.

It was quite nostalgic, actually.

Anyways, a week has past and we have come to another Saturday, with the third episode of Naruto lurking this evening.

I'll be tuning into it in around five minutes, and afterwards will post my thoughts on it here.

Heres hoping they leave the Naruto kissing Sasuke scene in, as I really wanna laugh at it again. :D

EDIT:
IT GOT CUT!

OMFG, THE NARUTO KISSING SASUKE SCENE GOT CUT!

ARGH!

Instead of the actual scene, they showed the kid accidently bumping Naruto and him falling forward, then they showed the girls (including Sakura and Ino) gasping, and they froze the scene and used a kissing sound effect, then cut to Sasuke saying he was gonna kill Naruto.

Argh. Lame.

EDIT2:

OMFG CHOUJI'S VOICE IS LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, all the voices were pretty good. I only have a huge problem with Chouji's. It was....horrid. Naruto and Chouji's voices suck. Otherwise, not too bad of an episode.

Oh, and I was angry they cut that one scene.

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2005, 06:47:53 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"

OMFG, THE NARUTO KISSING SASUKE SCENE GOT CUT!

ARGH!

Instead of the actual scene, they showed the kid accidently bumping Naruto and him falling forward, then they showed the girls (including Sakura and Ino) gasping, and they froze the scene and used a kissing sound effect, then cut to Sasuke saying he was gonna kill Naruto.

Argh. Lame.

Thats because the censors think it promotes homosexuality, so they removed it... stupid conservative anti-right pricks

*edit*
they show people torn apart, blood and violence, all that junk on public TV, then comes homosexuality or even the glimpse of slight nudity and its unsuitable. WHATS WITH THIS COUNTRY!?

i know the violence is to make kids wantt o join the military, but come on, this is just stupid
*/edit*
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2005, 07:08:07 pm »
You'd think they'd leave it in because Naruto and Sasuke gagged afterwards from pure disgust, so if anything, it's against homosexuality :roll:
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2005, 07:38:23 pm »
Why the hell would they remove something like that? They've shown worse than that on POKéMON for crackin' ice! (and no, I'm not kidding. Go check the episode "A Bitter Pill To Swallow" and tell me that's not one of the filthiest things you've ever seen on children's programming)

Anyway, the Naruto dub has the cast of Digimon and Cowboy Bebop, and that's enough to get me watching. Any news on when Jamieson Price will show up? Because his voice...*fans self*

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2005, 09:58:46 pm »
*pulls out hair* Omg I was going to support them. I was going to support them if they just kept in Naruto and Sasuke kissing. I was going to go 'okay so their editing is cool'

THEN THEY CUT IT OUT

Damn producers.... *rips up random cloth* I'm sending them complaints by mail! That's just biased! They show harem no jutsu with Naruto being all naked and giggling 'master ebisu' yet they don't show sasuke and naruto accidently kissing!?  That is just homophobic!

*kicks around random things like the cat* Gah I can't believe this. But it's probably because they just want little boys to... erm... like girls naked and uhm... think Naruto and Sasuke  are 'cool' which is very biased thinking towards the American population.

That's it I'm moving out of America the soonest chance I get. *goes to apply for exchange program*
Sweet Times

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2005, 10:13:12 pm »
I wouldn't blame the FCC. Likely they could have easily slipped it by the censors if they wanted. But what more likely happened was the American producers said "This might have worked in Japan but it is not going to fly in America, people will create an uproar, and we don't want an uproar. Plus this is supposed to be a kids' show, which will make us look even worse in America," and the producers cut it. No censors involved, just a (reasonable) perception of the kind of negative reaction it would create from social conservatives.

Probably.

I wonder what would have happened if that uproar occurred. Maybe people would take notice that the Japanese aren't so hung up about homosexuality and sex and that they're doing just fine anyway. A shame.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2005, 12:34:09 am »
dragon dragon its a dragon dragon ball z !

lol god  that was some good times ..... hurray for demail!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2005, 09:21:41 pm »
Ok. I watched the first few dubbed Naruto episodes, and about shot my TV. In order to make it child friendly, they Butchered it, raped it, freeze dried it, and haphazardly slapped it together into one of the worst piles of gutter scrapings that i have had the misfortune of laying my eyes on.  first off, there is no blood. Iruka, and the closet pervert were supposed to have explosive nosebleeds. second The Butchery!!!!

every Naruto fan will remember this pic. If memory serves, this is the scene when he forces his already wounded hand to bleed, in order to remove poison.

now this next pic is from the Viz dvd, and most likely the pic you'll see on tv as well.

Notice anything different? anyone care to explain how in the hell is Naruto supposed to remove the poison from his hand with a plastic lunchbox and an apple?????
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 09:51:14 pm »
XD what the heck is that picture? I don't believe they'd do that... *shakes head*

That's a little bit too crazy job of editing...
Sweet Times

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:25 pm »
o;
I want a Doremon lunchbox!

>-< That is a stupid picture... But it made me laugh. -thumbs up-

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2005, 10:36:42 pm »
he is hiding the kunai inside of the lunch box and is going to stab the apple.

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2005, 10:47:00 pm »
I'm going to steal them and he knows it so he was hiding them!

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2005, 09:34:39 am »
I think this is taking the "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" a little too far...  :?

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2005, 10:51:30 am »
hehe thats why you dont watch anime on cartoon network lol god thats a good picture but why is he still in pain?   did he not get a lunchable?

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2005, 05:26:29 pm »
No he forgot his snack pack, every loves those snack packs.

Offline Kuri-chan

• Cabbit
    • http://kizokuro.deviantart.com
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2005, 05:57:06 pm »
I think after seeing Naruto subbed all this time, I much prefer watching it over the dub.

The most crushing thing for me is that, unlike Fullmetal Alchemist which is playing on Adult Swim, Naruto's opening and ending themes (ROCKS and Wind) were refused. I love these two songs so very much!!  :(

I submit that I'll be sticking with the subs. I can't adapt to hearing these voices come out of the characters (which Naruto's dub voice is in complete contrast to his sub voice), and I don't think I want to adapt.  :cry:
x_x . s m i l e .

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2005, 07:12:51 pm »
Do shows ever move from Toonami to Adult Swim as uncuts?  I know that they did the opposite to Yuu Yuu Hakusho, but does it ever go the other way?
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2005, 10:40:53 pm »
Do shows ever move from Toonami to Adult Swim as uncuts?  I know that they did the opposite to Yuu Yuu Hakusho, but does it ever go the other way?

In the early days of Adult Swim I believe Gundam (with Heero, Duo, etc.) was shown as the cut version on Toonami then later they showed the uncut on Adult Swim.

Oh, and I thought of this when I was bored relating to the Naruto dubbing along with any other bad dubbing you wish:

"I sense a disturbance in the industry, as though millions of otaku suddenly cried out in fear, and then be ignored."

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2005, 11:14:38 pm »
Quote from: "Zenn"
Ok. I watched the first few dubbed Naruto episodes, and about shot my TV. In order to make it child friendly, they Butchered it, raped it, freeze dried it, and haphazardly slapped it together into one of the worst piles of gutter scrapings that i have had the misfortune of laying my eyes on.  first off, there is no blood. Iruka, and the closet pervert were supposed to have explosive nosebleeds. second The Butchery!!!!

every Naruto fan will remember this pic. If memory serves, this is the scene when he forces his already wounded hand to bleed, in order to remove poison.

now this next pic is from the Viz dvd, and most likely the pic you'll see on tv as well.

Notice anything different? anyone care to explain how in the hell is Naruto supposed to remove the poison from his hand with a plastic lunchbox and an apple?????

Ahh the wonders of Photoshop. Quite well done, too.

Especially seeing as how its supposed to be from Viz DVDs, and those are not even out yet, and are barely scheduled.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2005, 11:24:38 pm »
That's what I forgot to say....

My bet is, when this scene is suppose to happen in the anime, they'll probably cut to Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi watching Naruto and all you hear is Naruto grunting, trying to ignore the pain.

That's my guess anyway.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2005, 11:33:58 pm »
and i quote kakashi " secret finger technique!"

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2005, 05:41:07 pm »
NEVER!!! ITS THE THOUSAND YEARS OF PAIN!!!!

Offline Arcueid_Brunestud

• Cabbit
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2005, 08:37:55 pm »
DAMN THOSE DUBS! :x

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2005, 08:23:07 am »
i know what it is i have had it done to me before it wasnt pleasnt!

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2005, 08:44:46 am »
Quote from: "Negima"
That's what I forgot to say....

My bet is, when this scene is suppose to happen in the anime, they'll probably cut to Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi watching Naruto and all you hear is Naruto grunting, trying to ignore the pain.

That's my guess anyway.

I dunno, they already showed someone having a huge hronkin shuriken jutting out of them, so they might leave the stab intact.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2005, 09:40:39 am »
Quote from: "ObiJay"

I dunno, they already showed someone having a huge hronkin shuriken jutting out of them, so they might leave the stab intact.

But they cut all the blood out of that scene.  Remeber how Iruka was coughing up blood all over Naruto's face?  Not so much in the dub.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
Naruto Dub Discussion
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2005, 11:25:02 am »
The difference is that that was an ADULT with the injury while protecting  Naruto. Naruto, who's still a kid, is inflicting the pain on himself. Kids purposefully cutting themselves is a lot different than adults getting injured while protecting children. Stupid oversensitive censoring >.<

www.ronime.net