Author Topic: What would you use ?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
What would you use ?
« on: May 26, 2012, 01:56:11 am »
So of course i got ahead of my self and made LED panels..... for my arm sleeves and I read up more about EL panels .... seems like the smarter thing to do .... but it also seems like its an easier way out .... and dont take this the wrong way if you use or have used EL panels for any costume i just mean i like making something and saying I made that if you understand but i do think the EL panels would look better.....

Additional info
Cosplaying as len kagamine

• LED panels i have already spent money and time making them
  • LED panels not as much widespread light more pinpoint light
  • LED panels take up more room and require me to cut out fabric glue fabric and have a higher chance of me making a mess of things
  • LED panels i can set to be sound actived....

• EL panels apparently do not show up well in (most) pictures
  • EL panels are easy to apply less of a chance of my making a mess of things
  • EL panels are already made
  • EL panels Seem to last longer on less battery
SO basically im torn between these two options so I am asking your opinion  which would you do EL panel Or LED panel?
Or i could use the LED lights for buttons and use the EL panels for the sleeve designs
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:57:12 am by Len-chan »
1st year Kumoricon already loving the community

Offline LadyFiede

• Sailor Scout
    • FB
Re: What would you use ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 02:37:17 am »
I have never even heard of EL panels, are they some newfangled thing?  I am going to have to look into this and see if they are easier to do than LEDs.  As for which you should use, I don't know from a technical stand point, but how much more would it cost to do the EL?  Are you willing to spend that extra money?  Does the money saved on batteries matter to you?  Are you more concerned with how it looks in photos, or in real life?  These are just some of the questions that seem important to me.  Hope I didn't waste your time here. :P

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 10:42:56 am »
You didnt waste my time at all :D Well  to my knowledge EL panels are pretty new within the last few years i believe...  With all of my failures and everything im already at like $200 on this costume lol (the sewing machine i was using had the tension on the bobbin .... screwed up though it didnt seem like it ) so an additional $40 is fine by me lol I guess im more concerned with how it looks in person, the money ill save on batteries is good because the batteries i was going to use on my LED panels it actually saves quite a bit. (smaller batteries with the same voltage of bigger ones cost alot)

Offline LadyFiede

• Sailor Scout
    • FB
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »
Well if you don't mind spending the $40 then you could get the EL and see which is better in person?  If you do use it great, and if you don't maybe you can sell it or use it on another costume?  Idk, those seem like some of the best options to me. :P

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:37 pm »
then thats what i shall do :D