Author Topic: moved from the general forum: Cosplay suggestions?  (Read 5530 times)

Offline mechalith

• Oni
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechalith
moved from the general forum: Cosplay suggestions?
« on: September 09, 2005, 04:38:29 pm »
I'd love to cosplay next year, but here's the thing: I'm a big fuzzy guy with long hair. I'm having a heck of a time coming up with characters I even superficially resemble.

A gal in an (awesome) Auron costume had one suggestion at con, but it promptly fell right back out of my sleepless brain.

Any recommendations would be welcome. The first person to suggest something along the lines of Man Fey 2.0 will be hurt severely and probably not even by me. Trust me, nobody wants me crossdressing. (Tom, Vallie, and Panda, at the very least can back me up on this)
Sisyphus had it easy.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 04:41:03 pm »
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
-flying hug-
Yo-hooo!
It' meeee~ Neko-Chaan!
I'm that annoying girl that was always hugging you! ^_^
I saaayyy...
I dunno. o_o; What anime do you like?

Offline mechalith

• Oni
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechalith
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 04:58:16 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
-flying hug-
Yo-hooo!
It' meeee~ Neko-Chaan!
I saaayyy...

*thinks* Short, green hair, blue dress?

And most of the anime I like are old...

I'm a fan of Robotech, El Hazzard, Riding Bean, DragonBall, Revolutionary Girl Utena (I haven't seen all of it, spoiler and die)... lots more. But no characters I even kinda pass for.
Sisyphus had it easy.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 05:05:46 pm »
Quote from: "mechalith"
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
-flying hug-
Yo-hooo!
It' meeee~ Neko-Chaan!
I saaayyy...

*thinks* Short, green hair, blue dress?

And most of the anime I like are old...

I'm a fan of Robotech, El Hazzard, Riding Bean, DragonBall, Revolutionary Girl Utena (I haven't seen all of it, spoiler and die)... lots more. But no characters I even kinda pass for.

TT__TT I'm not short...
You should totaly cosplay... That dude from Rdiding Bean then! D: I dunno his name? Is it Bean? xD I've never seen it!
:3 And body sixe soooo does not matter. (To me anyway.) I think cosplay is about having fun more than making other people happy... or something.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 06:03:39 pm »
with a mindset like that, I think neko chan may want to consider a crossplay as Ed from Full Metal Alchemist.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 07:01:14 pm »
Quote from: "Kurimono"
with a mindset like that, I think neko chan may want to consider a crossplay as Ed from Full Metal Alchemist.

I'M NOT SHORT! -kicks Kuri-tan in the face with a flying kick-

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 07:15:48 pm »
What about Lord Kyron?  Of course, most of the people wouldn't get who you were...  but there are stilll some of us that would.

I've been struggling with a concept myself.  Like you, most of the stuff that I would want to cosplay is from several years ago.  I think I could do Captain Gloval or the admiral from Nadesico.  But I really want to do a costume that I could work some microcontrollers and electronics into.  Maybe work on an armored mecha of some sort (wearable like SCA armor, but looks like mecha from the outside).

Mr_Phelps
Avatar is "Othar Tryggvassen" from GirlGeniusOnline.net

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 07:43:46 pm »

T_T They called me short when I was Ed. You've seen me. I'm 5'8". Theres no escaping being called chibi at least once or twice if you cosplay that character, regardless of your actual height

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 07:50:29 pm »
Quote from: "sumomo_san"

T_T They called me short when I was Ed. You've seen me. I'm 5'8". Theres no escaping being called chibi at least once or twice if you cosplay that character, regardless of your actual height

D: Why are you taller than me? Why is everyone tallen than me? D: WHY?! -clings- I'm 5'3". I hate it.

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 08:15:35 pm »
D: Why are you taller than me? Why is everyone tallen than me? D: WHY?! -clings- I'm 5'3". I hate it.

Awww *pat pat* It's not so great being tall. My friend Michelle is 14 and 5'11" and she scares all the guys away. My other tall friend Leith has been told by this guy that he wouldn't date her until he was taller than her. He still isn't. I went to k-con with 3 short people, you saw them right? The witch hunter robin one feels your pain. She's the shortest but also the oldest (16) But she still got the most candy on Halloween. See, there are SOME upsides...

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 08:21:21 pm »
@ Neko chan
see what I mean?  you'd be perfect with a reaction like that.

@sumomo
really?  that really sucks for your two tall friends.  a person's height really shouldn't be something that determines if you get a date or not.  sadly, it does happen out there.  hasn't happen to me though(I'm still dateless).

Offline Moraela

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 08:34:17 pm »
It is fun to look similiar to characters while dressing up, but it's not required.  If you feel you should look like a character, that's ok, but if you don't mind not looking exactly like the character it'll expand your choices.

If you're a bigger guy (not sure if you're bigger or whatever ... ) and you like dragon ball z why not Hercule  (I'm not sure exactly how you look so yeah.. T_T) the only problem is (You might reject it ^^;) the hair is too afroy-ey (You could get a wig ^^)

Maybe the werewolf from darkstalkers (If you wanna spend alot of time making your costume... maybe ^^)

There are alot of people from streetfighter you could be (See This link http://www.rpgrealm.com/features/download/wallpaper/W_StreetFighter_A.jpg for examples =P)

You could go as snake if you were willing to cut your hair... he's furry ^^ (If size matters, I don't know..) Another person is Ginkotsu from Inuyasha (The big artillary guy that can only say "GERSH...")

The big guy with the nose ring from Flames of Recca.

Izumi-san's husband or Armstrong from Full metal alchemist.  Or you could try for a comic book superhero lol.  
I don't know, have fun! XD
"However long the night may last, the dawn will always break."
"He thought they were the most beautiful birds in the world, the he found out they were only seagulls." ~Maude: Harold and Maude

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 09:29:58 pm »
@Kurimono:
Thats what my friend was telling me! Every time the state alchemists called me short I would freak out and begin to rant about how I was NOT short, I was taller than the people with me, I was taller than the person who called me short I WAS NOT SHORT!!! End of discussion!

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 09:34:51 pm »
When choosing cosplay, it should be someone you would enjoy doing.

Definantly.

A big fuzzy guy with long hair, eh?

Well, get the hair done at a salon or something, or grab a wig, and cosplay Mr. Satan from DBZ.

He was a pretty big guy, and if you do your hair properly you should be easily able to do it.

I wouldn't be positive unless I saw your picture, but its all I could come up with, with the information you provided.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 09:59:59 pm »
@sumomo
that almost sounds like they were doing it just to spite you(and anyone else like you said) since you were cosplaying a character with a complex about his height and you carried that trait.  at least, you aren't really tall I suppose, then you get questions like "aren't you tall to cosplay Ed?".

Offline Moraela

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 10:30:38 pm »
@ Dustin  

That's who I meant -_-  Mr. Satan = Hercule in my mind (Is his name actually Hercule or am I a complete dork -_-;..)

@ mechalith

Sorry for the confusion.  Yeah, cosplayers should go as someone they enjoy and/or someone who has a costume they would feel comfortable wearing.  Being comfortable is #1, if you're not comfortable it could throw off your cosplaying experience.  Also you may want to go as someone you "relate" (As a: "I like the same food"  or "we like the same things" or even better "we act the same!" XD)  to (Which would make it easier to pose for pictures ^^;  I was inuyasha *dies* bad mistake.  Can't pose like him worth poo which made me embarassed half the time).  

You probably know more than me so yeah... ^^  Hope it sorta helped.
"However long the night may last, the dawn will always break."
"He thought they were the most beautiful birds in the world, the he found out they were only seagulls." ~Maude: Harold and Maude

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 12:28:03 am »
His name is Hercule in the FUNimation dub.

Linking an animated character to Satan was a big no-no I guess.

However, that was only in the edited dub. The uncut version has him as "Mr. Satan".

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: moved from the general forum: Cosplay suggestions?
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 12:50:45 am »
Quote from: "mechalith"
I'd love to cosplay next year, but here's the thing: I'm a big fuzzy guy with long hair. I'm having a heck of a time coming up with characters I even superficially resemble.

How big and how fuzzy? The first thing that lept to mind when I read those words was Zangief from Street Fighter, but I'm not sure if you're the right *kind* of big and fuzzy to be the Red Cyclone.

Offline sumomo_san

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 01:30:55 am »
@Kurimono:
Yes, I suppose thats true, but whenever you pass by another Ed and have to literally look down on them it just feels kind of... weird... lol. But on the other hand they looked UP to me xD