Author Topic: 2012 Registration/Check In FAQ Thread (Updated 8/27)  (Read 16794 times)

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
2012 Registration/Check In FAQ Thread (Updated 8/27)
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »
Check In information in second post below!

*Note: Registration is closed until con so we're currently not responding to our email due to our equipment currently being prepared to be transported to the con. We apologize for the inconvenience and we will deal with any problems at con. If you ordered your badge before Aug. 1st and asked to have it mailed but did not receive it, please check in at Will Call for your badge. Thank You.*

Hello Everyone!

My name is Chris and I’m once again the Assistant Registration Manager this year for Kumoricon 2012.

I have been given the awesome job of writing this FAQ to help you with any problems you may have with registering or receiving your badge.  I’m also adding more questions and answers this year for problems that affected some of our attendees last year.

This is still a work in progress and if there are any questions that you think should be added, let me know by leaving a comment on this thread (we do check the forums frequently).

I will be adding questions about checking in at registration and where it’s gonna be located at when we get closer to con.

Thank you and I hope to see all of you at con!

Chris Blackburn
Assistant Registration Manager
Kumoricon 2012

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I have a very simple/quick question! Can I ask you on this thread?

A: Yes you can! Our staff does check this frequently so they can answer it here.

You can also email us if you want at: registration@kumoricon.org

Q: I have a really important question that is not here on this FAQ. Can I also ask you on this thread?

A: Yes you may but it may be better that you email us at registration@kumoricon.org because we may need to ask you questions that may contain information like name, address, phone number, birth date, email, etc  (we will never ask you for very personal things like credit /debit card information or social security numbers, for example).

If you ask us one of these questions on this thread, we will most likely still ask you to e-mail us.

Please be aware that when we get closer to the convention, we get flooded with emails so it may take up to a week to reply so for our sake please do not send us multiple emails of the same question because it will make it harder to get everything sorted out.

I emailed you guys but I have yet to get a response... Please help! *NEW*

A: This usually will happen when we get closer to con but can also happen around holidays (They won't let us take the badge printer to the beach...).

If you send us a email and we don't respond within a week then please email us again but if it's only been two or three days then please wait a little longer because we are possibly not available or too busy at the moment to respond.

Please be patient because there is usually only two people responding to emails and we can be overwhelmed by the numbers we get especially the closer to con.

Q:  I ordered my badge on [INSERT DATE HERE] and it's not here yet, when will I be getting my badge? *UPDATE*
A: Your badge will be printed and sent on the next mail-out, these happen about once every month or so (maybe twice a month the closer we get to con).

Your badge may take 30 to 60 days to be printed and sent (possibly longer if you mail in your reg form). It may be shorter when we get closer to con due to the extra time we work in June/July/August.

We don't get a chance to meet up very often to work on registration, since it's a rather involved process to make and send the badges. We'd love to be able to do mail-outs every day/week/month etc... But the amount of time to set up and tear down our operations makes it really inefficient to print more often.  Please remember that we are volunteers, and will do our best to get your badge out as quickly as possible.

Q: My Friend/Sibling/Parent/Other ordered their badge at the same time/after me, but they have theirs already, where's mine?

A: Badges don't necessarily get printed and sent in the order they register. If you sent us a mail-in form, they take longer to process than the online registrations, since we have to manually enter the data. Alternatively, we don't always have everything we need to ship a badge with the normal batch. Some of the big factors on this one can be:

•   Incomplete Mailing Address
•   Incomplete/Invalid Birthday
•   Badge Name Too Long (This is especially true for badge names that are formatted like “mybadgenamehere”, or “my_badge_name_here”. Since they're not entered with spaces, our software cuts them off.)
•   Multiple Badges Ordered for the Same Person (Every attendee must have their own name on their badge.)

The reason for this is that some of the information is required to either get the badge to you, or to determine which to print. We also don't want to ship you a poorly constructed badge, so if the name/badge name cuts off, we re-print it.

Q: So I hear that there are different badge types for different ages. What are they?

A: The badges come in three different colors for attendees:

•   Red: Child ages 12 and under (must be accompanied by an adult at all times in con space)
•   Yellow: Minor ages 13 to 17 (requires a Parent Permission Form when checking in at registration to be without an adult on con space)
•   Blue: Adult ages 18 and older

Also attendee badges are printed horizontal while staff (and VIP) is printed vertical, so that should help to tell the difference.

Q: Where do I get a Parent Permission form?

A: You can get one here:
http://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2012/parent_permission_form_2012.pdf

Also there is one on the back of the letterhead when we mail you your badge, if you pre-registered.

Q: Help! I am [INSERT AGE HERE] years old and I received the wrong color badge!

A: First off, we are sorry that we sent you the wrong color badge! (Honest!)

This can be caused by a number of different reasons (someone entered it wrong, there was a database error/problem, the badge printer hates Brian, etc and so forth) so first off let us know by emailing us at: registration@kumoricon.org with your first and last name and also your birth date (we may ask for more information to help us verify that you are really who you say you are).

Once we fix the problem we will then mail you a new badge during our next mail out.

Q: Uh… Why do some of the questions look familiar? Kinda like someone copied and pasted parts of Brandon’s FAQ from last year…

A: I… Uh… Did not…

Q: …

A: … Ok, I totally did…
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:48:35 pm by kalagei »

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
Re: 2012 Registration/Check In FAQ Thread (Updated 8/27)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 08:30:06 pm »
-Check in FAQ-

Q: What time does registration open on all days?

A: We are open every day from Friday (also called “Day Zero”) to Monday at these times:

Friday: 1pm to 9pm (Pre-Registration check-in and Will Call pick-up only)
Saturday: 7am to 5pm
Sunday: 7am to 5pm
Monday: 7am to 12pm

At-the-door registration begins on Saturday.

Q: You mentioned “Day Zero”, what is it?

A: As I mentioned above, Day Zero is the name for the Friday before con which is technically not an actual day of con but Registration is open so those that have already ordered their badges before con can come and check in or pick up their badge at Will Call so they can start the first day of Kumoricon worry free.

Q: If I already had my badge mailed to me, do I still have to check in at registration?

A: Yup, you still have to check in at Registration (in this case, at Pre Registration) so we can get you all ready to go for the con.

Plus we also have awesome swag bags to give you after you check in!

Q: What do I need to check in/buy a badge? Anything specific I need to bring with me?

A: Well besides bringing yourself? Well you’ll need a few things when either checking in:

1. A proof of picture identification.
      For example:
         -Any sort of Government or State ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, etc)
         -Military ID
         -School ID (17 and under only)
         -A parent or guardian who can vouch for you in person (17 and under only)

2. A Parent Permission form for those who have a youth badge (ages 13 to 17) and want to go around the con without a parent or guardian

We have them available at con. You can also find them here:

Fill Out Version:
https://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2012/parent_permission_form_2012_fillable.pdf

Blank Version:
https://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2012/parent_permission_form_2012.pdf

Minors age 12 and under must be accompanied at all times by a parent or legal guardian who is also a paid attendee of the convention.

Q: I’m buying a badge at con, how much is it?

A: Here it is:

$45 – Register for the full three days at the door.

-Register for a single day at the door.
                  Prices for age 13 and up:
                       $30 – Saturday only
                       $30 – Sunday only
                       $25 – Monday only

-Prices for age 6-12:
                       $20 – Saturday only
                       $20 – Sunday only
                       $15 – Monday only

$25 – Child registration (age 6 to 12) – Same cost whether pre-registered or at the door.
    Free – Children age 5 and under

Q: I hear that it takes longer to buy a badge at con. Is there any way to speed up the registration process when buying a badge?

A: Yes there is! You can already fill out a Registration form at home and have it ready when you get up to registration.

You can get one here:
Fillable At-Con Registration Form:
https://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2012/at_con_registration_2012_fillable.pdf

Blank At-Con Registration Form:
https://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2012/at_con_registration_2012.pdf

Q: I ordered a badge before August 1st and asked to have it mailed out to me but it never arrived.

A: We had quite a few badges that were returned to us this year for many reasons (even a few badges with correct address!) so don't worry! At this point we can't mail out any badges so all badges that were returned have already been reprinted and will be held at Will Call starting on Friday.

If you ordered your badge after August 1st, I apologize but all orders from August 1st to 15th are automatically sent to Will Call.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:13:31 pm by That_Guy »

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
Registration Hours at Con!

Friday (Check in only for Will Call and Pre-Reg) 1pm-9pm
Saturday 7am-5pm
Sunday 7am-5pm
Monday 7am-12pm

Also =^.^=
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:30:00 pm by kalagei »
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Hello! I have a quick question--I can't open .pdf files for some unknown reason (they constantly prompt me to save them even though I already have). Is there any way to get the reg form in some other format?

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
Hello! I have a quick question--I can't open .pdf files for some unknown reason (they constantly prompt me to save them even though I already have). Is there any way to get the reg form in some other format?

Hmm... I don't know if we have it in any other format but I will try to see if we do.

Is it possible to use a friend's computer or use one at a library near you? If not and if I can't find find a reg form in a different format then as a last resort we may be able to mail you a form if need be (I would have to check with my manager because at this point it may not be possible because of the time we have until con and if we do it may need to be held at will call).

I'm sorry if this doesn't really help your situation but we will try to see what we can do.

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2012 Registration FAQ Thread (Updated 6/30)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:52:21 pm »
Could someone just get a screengrab of it and put it up in .jpg or something? I can't imagine that would take too terribly long.

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:25 am »
I can scan it and e-mail it to you as a jpg if you need...
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:00:53 am »
For anyone having trouble with PDFs:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

This is a link to Adobe's PDF reader. It, or another PDF reader is required to view PDF files. The reason we use PDF is that it is designed to be printed, and because of that it makes it easy for our reg team to data enter. PDF is also the universal standard for printed documents.

With that being said, do whatever you need to do to make it work =^.^=

2012 - Vice Chair

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 12:52:07 pm »
Yeah, that's the problem. I have that and it's up to date and .pdfs STILL don't open. And they never have, even on my old computer. I have no idea what the problem is; I just know it's there and it prevents me from opening them.

Emailing a .jpg would be awesome, thank you! cammycommando@yahoo.com is my email.

Offline Lady In Red

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
Re: 2012 Registration FAQ Thread (Updated 7/5)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:42 am »
Hi! I have a question about badges and pre-reg, but I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. If it isn't, could someone please re-direct me?
Alright, so my question is, my friend, Robyn Lawrence, ordered her badge some time ago, though she didn't have a lot of money on her credit card at the time. I've heard that it's possible she may not get her badge? Could someone in Badges and registration answer this question for me, or check, somehow, to see if her badge has been ordered?
Also, I have another question concerning  pre-reg. I want to go to pre-reg in cosplay, but my costume involves different glasses, body and face paint, and a wig. Will the people at pre-reg be able to recognize me enough to let me into the convention, or should I put on my costume after pre-reg?
Thank you!
Kumori-con 2013 cosplay plans:
Day zero: Sollux Captor
Day one: Meenah peixes
Day two: Fem! Grand highblood.
Day three: We leave at about 1:30 pm, and it's a long drive home, so no cosplay on day three. Too much make up to take on and off, haha.

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:32:21 pm »
Hi! I have a question about badges and pre-reg, but I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. If it isn't, could someone please re-direct me?
Alright, so my question is, my friend, Robyn Lawrence, ordered her badge some time ago, though she didn't have a lot of money on her credit card at the time. I've heard that it's possible she may not get her badge? Could someone in Badges and registration answer this question for me, or check, somehow, to see if her badge has been ordered?
Also, I have another question concerning  pre-reg. I want to go to pre-reg in cosplay, but my costume involves different glasses, body and face paint, and a wig. Will the people at pre-reg be able to recognize me enough to let me into the convention, or should I put on my costume after pre-reg?
Thank you!

To help you with the first question, can your friend email us at registration@kumoricon.org with her first and last name, birthdate, and when she ordered the badge, because I may need to ask some questions to help us check if there is any issues.

To the second question, it really depends because we need to check if the person picture on the photo ID matches the person we're checking in. Some staff may have no problem checking you in but others may not be able to verify who you are if you are wearing something like a mask (which we will ask for you to remove at the reg table so we can verify the person) or heavy face paint (partial or a small amount of face paint should be no problem for us).

If you think that someone would have difficulty comparing the picture on your ID to you with your cosplay on then I would recommend waiting until after you check in or not putting on anything that would cover your face (wigs and glasses are totally OK!).

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 10:01:58 pm »
I hope I can prereg at the meeting tomorrow because I haven't gotten that email.

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:31 pm »
HI! I have a question about getting into the con. The website says you'll need a photo ID to get inside. Is it okay to use a school ID?

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:25:05 pm »
HI! I have a question about getting into the con. The website says you'll need a photo ID to get inside. Is it okay to use a school ID?

Yes, you can use a school ID if you are age 17 and under. If you are 18 and older, then we need a photo ID like a State ID, driver's license, Passport, etc.

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:51 pm »
Oh yeah, and one more question. I've been hearing people say that along with your real name on your badge, you can pick a badge name you make yourself to put on it but when I registered, I never had any option like that. Did I do something wrong or does that part come later?

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:28 pm »
Oh wait, I just realized that I accidentally put my real name as my badge name WHOOPS. Would it be possible to change it?

Offline hyperkineticenergy

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 07:19:40 pm »
Can you tell me what time registration is on Day zero? Thanks!
Kcon2012:Umbreon, Romano, Shizuo, and Izaya

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 12:23:01 am »
And nevermind! got it all fixed up

Offline SHiNYxUmbreon

• Oni
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:30 am »
Can you register on Day Zero if you are not pre-reg? And if so, between what times can you register?

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »
Day 0 is for those that have already pre registered before Aug 15th and had their badge either mailed to them or will pick it up at Will Call. If you plan on buying a badge at con then you are going to have to wait until Saturday to do so.

Also I'll be posting times and what to do when checking in or buying your badge at reg later this weekend so check back Sunday afternoon for all the current info.

Offline Tama

• Oni
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
Can we still pre-register on the day of Aug. 15? The website says "Until" then it says "last day to pre-register;" so I'm a little confused.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 09:36:22 pm »
Can we still pre-register on the day of Aug. 15? The website says "Until" then it says "last day to pre-register;" so I'm a little confused.

Yes, you can register on August 15. It cuts off at midnight exactly.

For mailed registrations, it must be postmarked (not necessarily received) by August 15.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 06:03:34 pm »
Maybe this Q has been asked already, but I ordered my badge on 7/31. Should I b expecting it in the mail or wait to get it at will call?
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:56 pm »
Maybe this Q has been asked already, but I ordered my badge on 7/31. Should I b expecting it in the mail or wait to get it at will call?

Please email us with your First and Last name at registration@kumoricon.org so we can solve this problem (It's too late to mail out a new badge so it will most likely be at Will Call).

Offline Atlis01

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »
I am having the same problem as Sui Fong, except that I already sent an e-mail 3 days ago and have yet to receive a reply, how long does it usually take to get a response?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:43:54 pm by Atlis01 »

Offline Kisa-chann

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 06:14:18 pm »
Aaaand while badges are still being talked about, I'll just stick this here:
I had sent an email the middle of last month about my badge being the wrong color, and I haven't received a new one. Should I send another email to make sure you guys have it so I can pick it up at the con?

Offline Atlis01

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »
update: I received a reply about an hour ago, turns out my badge may have been lost in the mail, gonna have to pick it up at will-call I guess

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:02 pm »
Registration times added to reserved post.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:26:32 pm by kalagei »
2012 - Vice Chair

Offline opalhawk

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 02:39:53 pm »
Aaaand while badges are still being talked about, I'll just stick this here:
I had sent an email the middle of last month about my badge being the wrong color, and I haven't received a new one. Should I send another email to make sure you guys have it so I can pick it up at the con?

If you still haven't received a reply, yes, please send another one.  We're receiving approximately a bajillion emails right now and unfortunately some of them may get lost in the pile.  If we still haven't gotten back to you, please send us another one. :)

Offline Heirii

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 11:55:52 am »
Hey, i have a couple questions about registration.

First, the front page says i need a photo ID. Im under 18 and i cant find my student ID. Do i really need an ID or can my parent just sign the permission form instead? Also for prereg., can we come check in Thursday or do we have to check in on Friday? We're just trying to avoid the long lines but if we have to we'll wait.
Thanks! :D
Plans '13:
Madokami - PMMM
Park Bom - Lollipop MV
Mabel - Gravity Falls

Offline Rainfeather

• Sailor Scout
    • Firebead
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:26 pm »
I'm curious as to what time we can pick up our badges on Day 0? Thank you much!
Red Mage at heart.

Offline opalhawk

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »
Day
I'm curious as to what time we can pick up our badges on Day 0? Thank you much!

Day 0 will be open from 1 to 9 pm. :)

Hey, i have a couple questions about registration.

First, the front page says i need a photo ID. Im under 18 and i cant find my student ID. Do i really need an ID or can my parent just sign the permission form instead? Also for prereg., can we come check in Thursday or do we have to check in on Friday? We're just trying to avoid the long lines but if we have to we'll wait.
Thanks! :D

We will be opening on Friday.  And yes, some form of photo ID is required.  We use it to verify your identity, that you are in fact the person on the badge picking it up.  If you have any more questions about the photo ID issue, please email us at registration@kumoricon.org.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:02:55 pm by opalhawk »

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
Re: 2012 Registration/Check In FAQ Thread (Updated 8/24)
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »
I have posted check in information on the second post on the first page!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:01:05 pm by That_Guy »

Offline venicekind

• Cabbit
    • My Anime List
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
so today, I just found out that my school won't be able to get me my ID until next week. would I be able to use my ID from last year?

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »
so today, I just found out that my school won't be able to get me my ID until next week. would I be able to use my ID from last year?

Yes, as long as you're not getting an adult badge.
2012 - Vice Chair

Offline GwarNekoChan

• Catgirl
    • My facebook! o3o
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »
So... Just a last-minute curious question.

How does the whole pick up badge at con thing work? Do we need to bring anything? Do we just tell the registration crew our name?
Kumoricon 2013 was cancelled for me. Can't await for next year! Cosplay list will arrive soon.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »
So... Just a last-minute curious question.

How does the whole pick up badge at con thing work? Do we need to bring anything? Do we just tell the registration crew our name?

What you need to know before the con…

1. Check-in...

All attendees—whether pre-registered or at-the-door, whether the badge was mailed or is being picked up—must bring:

* Photo ID
* If under age 18, parental permission form (if you have not mailed it already)
* Your badge, if it was mailed
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor