Author Topic: Anime influences  (Read 3117 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Anime influences
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:27:41 am »
Last night I was thinking how cool it would be to have a 24-hour Megas XL viewing room, but my girlfriend reminded me that Megas isn't anime. So I had to defend my enthusiasm by arguing that Megas is totally anime-influenced. It's got giant robots, it's got Robotech references, it's totally anime-esque!

What's clearly influenced by anime today? Not just kids' cartoons, but, you know, other television, film, or literature of all types. I'm sure there are tons of comics that are trying to look more anime-like, but do they reflect the writing styles (or depth) of Japanese manga? And the same with non-comics, if there are any examples. And film and TV too. Whatever else.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
Anime influences
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 10:42:23 am »
It's got more than just giant robots and Robotech references, did you see the episode that was a spin off of Gatchaman? Or the one with the character that highly resembled Harlock? Being a big fan of both those animes, I was giggling through those episodes. The creators are obviously big anime fans to pull such things into the show. Too funny.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Anime influences
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:55:45 am »
What makes something Anime...?  Ah the age old question (from the 90s).  I figure what makes something anime-like varies from person to person.

I guess there's first the art style of something.  Teen Titans being probably one of the better known cartoons out there with that style.  Also, if you happen to read it, Sonic the Hedgehog comics changed into that style somewhere around issue #90 (they're at #150 now).

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of people consider the art style to be the only thing that makes something anime.  With the new show Loonatics Unleashed, earlier this year when the people in charge announced it, they were already saying it was anime.  "They have superpowers, they have the big eyes, it's a cartoon, therefore it's anime" was how I interpreted what they were saying.

Teen Titans (TT) I'd have to say is the closest American-made cartoon to be considered Anime or is anime (Don't know about Megas XL because I've only seen a small handful of episodes).  The reason why I say this is because TT sometimes has a storyline which separates it from other cartoons.  Usually, with American cartoons, you could watch any episodes in any order and it would still make sense.  They're kinda like short stories with no connection to anything else.  With Anime, there are some things and events connected.  With Anime, there are references to previous episodes and characters are seen growing, becoming more powerful and skillful.  There are the occasional short stories in anime but there are only a few in between points in the story.  TT does this.  Example: Robin is attacked by someone, Robin hears about Slade, Robin meets Slade, Robin hunts for Slade, Robin finally finds Slade and battles him again.  All of these happen in different episodes and in order.

I think there's more to anime, but right now I think I've gone too far in too many directions. >< (It's morning and I'm not quite awake yet)

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
Anime influences
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 11:19:03 am »
It depends on whose definition of anime you are talking about, Japanese or American definition. By American definition if it didn't come from Asia then it isn't considered anime. However the Japanese definition, which is what I tend to go off of, is that all cartoons whether made in the US or Asia is anime, it means animation.

Granted I consider a lot of cartoons these day American influenced cartoons. I still call them anime but I consider them cartoons because of their influence. There are also a growing number of American cartoons that are influenced by Asian animation, Teen Titans and Megas XL are examples. That doesn't make them any less or more anime than mainstream Anime.

If you start thinking that only Asian made animation is Anime then you bring back the argument that only real Anime comes from Japan. However that isn't true there is a growing amount of Hong Kong, Korean and Taiwan anime and a lot of people can't really tell the differences between them.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
Anime influences
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 11:51:30 am »
ADV is starting to get into Korean anime and Manhwa (the Korean version of a manga - which is read left to right like english). They released BAST oF Syndrome last year and one other I can't recall atm. There's also Wonderful Days (aka Sky Blue) which is really good from what I hear.

So I'm guess that anything that is animated overseas will be called "anime" by American fans, as you said. Because it's already much more than just Japan.

Offline Hermisia_kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1433551/
Anime influences
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 02:13:04 pm »
I know that this is a bit off-topic, but even though most people wouldn't considder Megal XLR an anime, it wouldn't have been totally out of place, as about %75  percent of the show is lampooning anime.
Olivia:
A devoted Yojimbo,
Writer of Goggleslash,
Muncher of Pocky,
Tottaly sucks at not getting kidnaped

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
From Gus' Girlfriend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 06:00:02 pm »
Quote from: "Hermisia_kitty"
I know that this is a bit off-topic, but even though most people wouldn't considder Megal XLR an anime, it wouldn't have been totally out of place, as about %75  percent of the show is lampooning anime.

Actually, this was the original topic :P

Off topic again, for just a moment-

The line between anime and animation are just going to get more blurred as time goes on.

Consider
Sin - Written in America, but completly animated in Japan. (You can tell :p)

Transformers - started as a toy in Japan, was advertised in the US with an American produced cartoon, then made into a movie in Japan.

Appleseed - I think started out as a manga in Japan, but was produced as a CG eyecandy fest in Korea.

Howl's Moving Castle - Directed by Miazaki, written by an English woman. So if Harry Potter was made into an animated series in Japan, would it be anime?

[Giggles maniacally]

So I say bring it on! Let's have a crossover viewing room, and a discussion to boot! I would have a blast running it.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Anime influences
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 09:27:05 pm »
I agree with Imari.

I think a viewing room, and perhapes a panel on anime influenced mediums, and how the influence of anime and manga is changing the artistic style of America would make an interesting discussion topic.

EDIT:
For example, Firefly was influenced by Outlaw Star.