Author Topic: How to Feel Comfortable  (Read 2341 times)

Offline hawk222

• Chibi
    • Hawk222's tumblr
How to Feel Comfortable
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:30:53 pm »
I know this is a weird title, so I'm just going to cut right to the chase. My girlfriend and I have a long-term plan to do a Shinra Kishitani/Celty Sturluson (Durarara!!) couple cosplay, and she's excited to cosplay Celty (she adores her), but she feels really uncomfortable about wearing a skintight black suit for it. I understand that it's not the easiest thing. I mean, even I'd be uncomfortable in a situation like that. But I just know that she'd enjoy it if she can actually go through with it! So, my question is this: how do I help her feel more comfortable doing a cosplay like this without making it seem like it's something she has to do in order to make me happy? I really don't want to force her to do anything she doesn't want to, but at the same time, I really want to do this with her...

I guess this thread can be used by anyone else who is in a similar situation to ask for advice, since it's not exactly centered around me, per se.

Also, I know this isn't the same topic, but does anyone know a good way to make a helmet like Celty's, or know of any that are being sold? ^__^"
(If this is in the wrong section, I apologize: I wasn't sure where to put it.)

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
Re: How to Feel Comfortable
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:33 pm »
You could try having her wear something similar just around the house so she can try being in a skin tight outfit in private and see how that goes. Also, based on most girls I know, if she knows she looks good in it she won't have a problem wearing in front of other people. but in the end if she's still uncomfortable it's no big deal just find something else.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:34:10 am »
^

Though I don't have lady parts that might be accentuated, I might spend about 10 hours in costume core (propless) before con just to get an idea for it's limits, but it also makes me feel more natural when I am surrounded by congoers.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:14:04 pm »
She could carry around a long jacket or a blanket and wrap that around herself at the con when at times she's feeling more uncomfortable. It'd be a pain to carry, but if it's thin enough (like a bed sheet or something; I personally use a yukata), it should be able to be rolled and stuffed into a big purse.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline hawk222

• Chibi
    • Hawk222's tumblr
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:50:31 pm »
Well, I found out that it's not so much the "wearing a bodysuit" part that she's not comfortable with: it's the "I don't think I look good when I wear tight tops" aspect. So now, there isn't much I could do to help her feel more comfortable, other than constantly reassuring her that she looks great and telling her that I like her the way she is, whatever that may be (/cheesy). Of course, actually buying the bodysuit wouldn't be a bad idea, either...

@Zensuke: I don't know how I'd have her wear something around her house, or anything like that. I mean, we don't live together...

@veraca: That's not a bad idea... In fact, I think she'd really approve of something like that, barring the aforementioned issue she has.

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:59 pm »
I don't really mean for you or anything. i just meant if she could wear it in private with or with out you there.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:33:20 am »
You could look around for a cheap liatard or something that's more like the body suit without forking out the money for it. And seeing if she'd be ok seeing herself in that around the house? And not just in front of mirrors and windows, but take a few pictures of her?

Sometimes the angle you look at yourself in the mirror is very different then how you look to others. I can't buy new clothes now a days without looking at the mirror before I buy it, even though I still wear my old clothes that make me look 3x bigger than I am.

On another note, you could suggest maybe altering the costume to being a business suit, or a outfit that isn't quite as tight? Or a casual version. I google'd Celty and found this as an interesting alternative she might be open to: http://i40.tinypic.com/24fzewo.jpg
Then, later on down the line, when she feels more comfortable she can wear the actual costume itself.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:36:54 am by veraca »
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:06:23 pm »
re: the helmet, I know someone (the Celty in the minidress at con this year) who did hers by getting a regular helmet and building the 'ears' on top of it with cardboard and paper mache, and then just painted the whole thing. You could probably find a decent helmet for cheap on eBay.

As for her comfort, I'd agree with the previously-mentioned idea to get some kind of top that fits similarly so she can wear that around a bit and see if she can get used to it. And if not, like veraca said, you could just do an alternate version. If you've got the helmet she should be pretty recognizable as Celty regardless of what the exact costume looks like.

Offline Katacus

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 08:59:05 pm »
I'm going through something similar! I'm going to be Girlchan at Sakuracon this year and she's kind of just there to be the slutty anime girl >.> and it took me a really long time to get comfortable with the idea. I first decided to alter her top and bottom to make it a perfect model of the areas you have to cover up. The thing that's making me follow through with it is that I love Girlchan in Paradise so freakin much and have always wanted to do it really bad. I also decided that I would wear a long sweater around until someone asked for a picture of our group, thus avoiding those who only take pictures of scantly clad women.

So I see where she's coming from! It's really how much I love and want to be the characters that gets me over my insecurities/uncomfortable feelings. I think it's up to her. Does she want to be Celty horribly bad or does her discomfort kind of trump that?

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:48 pm »
best way to get comfy with something new like a style of clothing is to wear it for 5 days straight.

i was a baggy kinda guy in my high school days
then i liked how anime characters dress up which is fit, so i had to wear fit clothes-- at first it was ghuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
not to mention mom kept on buying me fit shirts n fit pants so it helped
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline NerdyNinja

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »
This will be my 4th year at Kumoricon and trust me, I normally have a problem with being around people, but I feel like I am around friends at kumoricon. Like I feel like I can talk to any one and no one cares that I am weird. Thats why I keep coming back! :D

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:32 am »
WE made my friend helment from a street bike helment that we uses clay for the years and then painted over with a gloss finish. very easy

Also I m plus size and some times outfits and charaters i play make me feel unconfable i find it helps to start wearing the outfit frist and get the feel of it and movement then do a small photo shoot. with myself in it and get other s opion its a big confadance builder as well