Author Topic: Newcon  (Read 24657 times)

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
Newcon
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:40:17 pm »
Newcon is a brand new convention coming to PDX this December!
It'll be held on the 29th and 30th of December at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Portland.

There will be a dance ran by Disko Warp.  Costume, Skit, and Prop contests with cash/gift certificate prizes!  Gaming contests with prizes!  Fan panels!  Special guests and more!

The website will go live shortly (I'll update then) but currently information can be found on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/groups/368056959904850/ (group discussing the event) and http://www.facebook.com/events/340314756031857/ (event page).

We have a website now at www.newconpdx.wix.com/newcon

Hope to see y'all there!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:16:47 am by Maiku »
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
Re: Newcon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:54 am »
I will go for sure sounds like my kind of thing :3

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:24 pm »
This sounds pretty darn awesome! I'll be keeping this in mind. Location's easy and it sounds like it'll be fun. :)

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »
...so, what's the difference between this one and MEWcon?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »
The fact that MEWcon is no longer happening and so he created this as a substitute, and I personally think it will be better b/c of who's running it and the people involved.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »
A) No kidding. XD  B) How so?  C) But what'll be different?  It sounds like the same bloody con, but with a different letter in the name.

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:02:21 pm »
The answer your questions.

MEW con did not exist last year, and I confirmed it would not be happening this year.  I decided that the NW, especially the PDX area, benefited from having a convention in that time frame (who doesn't want to celebrate the coming New Year with con family?).  So I've taken steps to make that happen.

That said, there are many key differences between the two.

The name was decided without a lot of thought to comparisons (which even with a different sounding name would be drawn due to the time of year).  It's a convention to celebrate the passing year, so New just fit.

Differences.  Again, I'm addressing these to answer your questions ~ not to say I had an problems with MEW just establishing our difference.

There is no age restriction on Newcon like there was with MEWcon.
Our contests offer cash prizes, which is not something I think MEW did.
We are run by a completely separate staff.  This means our ideas and process will be different.
Our basis is a mixture of comic cons, sci-fi cons, and anime conventions.  Our goal is to create something unique for all con crowds at the end of the year.

There are probably many other minor differences, but to be more to the point ~ you could say any convention of a type sounds the same but with a different letter (Sak and Kumo for example).  You can only really cite two similarities; the time of year and the name.

I would hope that if you enjoyed MEW, you would come try out  New and enjoy yourself as much or more.  I would also hope if you didn't enjoy MEW, you would come check us out in our first year as we are not the same convention.

It is our goal, weather similar or different to provide a unique, safe, and enjoyable experience for our cultures at the end of the year!

Edit:
I'm not sure what you're looking for in differences.  I hope this answered your question.  All I can do is update as we add more things to our convention and hope that what we offer is enjoyable and something people would want to do with themselves at that time of year.  I personally think it's easy to find ways to compare cons of a genre to each other, but if you look you will see each is run in it's own unique manner.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:05:31 pm by Maiku »
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

Offline ToriKat

• Cabbit
    • ToriKat's deviantART
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
Oh wow, I'm interested!  I really like Portland, so it's a great excuse to travel to there.  <3

About when can we expect the Artist Alley sign ups to go live?  :D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »
I'm not sure what you're looking for in differences.  I hope this answered your question.  All I can do is update as we add more things to our convention and hope that what we offer is enjoyable and something people would want to do with themselves at that time of year.  I personally think it's easy to find ways to compare cons of a genre to each other, but if you look you will see each is run in it's own unique manner.

It answered a little bit, in particular the age limit thing.  On a personal level, that was what I disliked about MEWcon the most; not because the age limit existed, but because I felt that 17 was the wrong cut-off.  If they were going to have one, it should have been at 18.

So, now that (at least) that part has been sorted out, I'll keep a look out for future updates, but won't commit to coming unless I see something more worthwhile to me.  Thank you.

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »
That makes perfect sense.  This is more of a, this is happening, sort of post.  We'll be able to announce more official stuff (other then the Disko Warp dance) in the coming month and should have all our guests locked in by June.

Thanks for voicing your question though, helps get more information out there. :)
2012 Kumo

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »
Guess I'll go check it out....at least the location's simple to find.  :)

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »
I'm excited for Newcon. I've been following on FB (which everyone should do until the site goes live ;) ), and it sounds like it'll be awesome. Especially since the coordinators are asking for attendee suggestions even before the con starts, to make sure everyone is happy. :D
2012-14- Assistant Artist Alley Coordinator
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:09:17 am »
Yay! I'm pretty excited just for a con around that time. I always rind myself missing my kumo friends at the end of the year, and considering the world is supposed tovend this year, I think it would be a perfect celebration if we all dun die.
And even if some of us die, we can celebrate the death of our enemies lol *morbid girl here*

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »
I am really looking forward to this. Mewcon was a blast for me but I felt at times it was run poorly (ie the lack of people checking badges, and the lack of parents understanding what would be going on). I hope that Newcon will be like Mewcon in some aspects like the fun part and a place to go to celebrate the new years, but I also hope that it will be different and we will have more people there and more guests and a bigger arrange of events and panels.

I am also super excited for our plan for opening ceremonies (if you are still up for it mike XD)

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »
sounds interesting! i've never been to mew con (because of the age limit) but i may check this out.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
After a bad experience with  Orycon 33 (the old guard turn Orycon into a writers trade convention), we can use a multi genre fan convention. Like others I never though an age restrictions a good idea. From a business sense one just turned away a part of one customer base including  families. Personally I do not care for  "Adult" contentions. Adult  and erotica is a big turn off for me. When it come to fan bases 6 to 60 should be welcomed to attend.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 04:25:38 pm »
The kickstarted is up and running now.

Please check it out and donate if you can. This is the earliest and cheapest way to get a registration for Newcon and also greatly assists us.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/143085730/new-con

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 05:11:01 pm »
Newcon is also going to be hosting a cosplay contest on their facebook page. There might not be a whole lot of people enterting so it will give you a greater chance to win. The winner will get a badge and a picture folder in the newcon cosplay page to show off the costumes.
https://www.facebook.com/newconpdx#!/newconpdx

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 05:11:23 pm »
Is NewCon interested in having overnight AMV showing? Guy and I are considering attending.  :)
Please let us know. Also, if you want/need costuming / cosplay panels, let me know what you want and I can present various types of costuming/sewing/cosplay panels.

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 04:24:26 pm »
Just for a bit of an understanding, Mewcon instated the Age limit because it was becoming repetitive and ridiculous having people of all ages(especially those from 13-16) around New Years Drunken debauchery. I was in full support of the cut off on age(Though do believe 18 would have been better.) Furthermore, the issues with the badge checking and the staffers was not at the fault of the convention itself, in all honesty - it was because the hotel in question for the last Mewcon refused to allow the staff to set up check points to make sure badges were handled appropriately.

Just wanted to enlighten a few people. As someone that staffed all three years of Mewcon, and watched it grow and evolve - I have a bit of a soft spot for it. Especially considering it was my first staff experience for a convention.

I agree that having a convention at that time of year is a good idea.

I will not be attending due to personal reasons and convictions. (Most of all the fact that I won't be going to conventions for what looks like three years, because I'm trying to survive and they are expensive.)
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)

Offline THE POPE

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:48:08 am »
I'm excited to check out Newcon since i never was able to make it to Mewcon, its close enough for me to get to and i know many friends i told this about at Kumori were pretty excited.
I'LL ALLOW IT

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 01:53:36 am »
When: Saturday/Sunday on December 29/30 2012

Where: [Crown Plaza] 1441 Ne 2nd Avenue,Portland, OregonUnited States  97232
-SIX blocks directly west of LLOYD CENTERWebsite: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/portland/pdxne/hoteldetail
Group Code: NEW
Hotel Rate with CODE: $89/night
Hotel Details:
-One KING bed or two QUEEN beds
     -One KING: Share one bed with all or be THAT AWESOME GUY in one bed
     -Two QUEEN: Have two people feel like AWESOME AND WIN. Or share the love.
-Microwave     -TOP RAMEN ANYONE!?
     -Microwave lunches!?!?!?
-Refridgerator
     -Lunch Meats
     -Peanut Butter
     -Jelly
     -Soda/Drinks
     -Everything else that can go bad
-Swimming Pool
     -Wet sexy party time!

Why: WHY NOT
How: Register at http://www.indiegogo.com/newconpdx
How much:
-$25 through ^link^
-$30 otherwise
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:53:58 am by Lynx »
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline Abe

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 07:18:06 pm »
So I'm a little confused is Newcon gonna be in Portland Crown Plaza? Or in the Portland airport? Or is it next 2 the Portland airport? Thanks for your help ^_^
2019 cosplay

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 12:58:12 am »
Portland Crowne Plaza
2012 Kumo

Offline Abe

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:17:22 am »
Alright thanks
2019 cosplay

izamor

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 01:48:12 am »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:41:27 pm by izamor »

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 12:51:38 pm »
Gonna go as Desert Punk to Newcon.  Decided not to buy tickets until we get there.  I spend Christmas with my family on the east end of the Gorge.  Not uncommon to get snowed in and can't come back to Portland.  I would be upset if I bought the tickets then couldn't go.  :0

Offline ZakkKurama

• Sailor Scout
    • Animes Watching: I Need to UPDATE!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:37 am »
Joined the fb group!
Where can I find information about the panels and etc.. for newcon!?

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 12:37:25 pm »
Hello!

I will be happy to run a "Best AMVs of 2012" evening show.
(I am aware that this time they have no overnight programming.)

I can also bring a craps felt and chips (NO REAL MONEY ALLOWED, PLEEZY!)
and offer craps instruction for 4 to 6 people at a time.

- G

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:30 pm »
Interesting. I haven't heard of this convention.
The last MewCon I attended was when the Kashyyyk Base and Cloud City Garrison went. I'll have to ask if anyone is planning to go to this...

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 11:11:59 pm »
any status on the con like pre registration? , there not much information and using  Facebook is a bust. not everybody  has a Facebook  account.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:51 pm »
I am so planning to go to this! I just need more infomation like a schedule or something.

Offline Abe

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:00 pm »
I want 2 go 2 this convention :) but first does anyone know if cons are ever good when it's their first year opening? Just a question???
2019 cosplay

Offline ironavenger

• Sailor Scout
    • Assembled Impersonations
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 11:14:20 pm »
I'm excited to go. Going to be Iron Man (big surprise).

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:02 am »
I want 2 go 2 this convention :) but first does anyone know if cons are ever good when it's their first year opening? Just a question???
I've gone to two cons for their first year and I had fun. It depends on what you are looking for. Most cons get better with time but if you are interested in this con happening again they need people to attend and buy badges. It is going to be smaller than Kumoricon but that can be a good thing, it means you can meet more people and get to know them better. It will have more of a family feel, and more of a really big party feel (at least from what I have experienced).

Offline Abe

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 12:03:35 am »
Alright thanks for the information :D I just wanted to get another persons opinion before I decided to go 2 Newcon, so appreciate the help ^_^ I will defiantly go now.
2019 cosplay

Offline toonafeesh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 08:55:24 am »
I'm going, and I'm super excited!! I'll be there as the Mascot, and Christmas Saria.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:55:44 am by toonafeesh »

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 07:16:04 am »
www.newconpdx.wix.com/newcon

We have a webpage up and live (I know close to convention, but better late than never!). So anyone seeking more information should be able to find it there.

As the event organizer, if you have questions feel free to ask her or send me a message!
2012 Kumo

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 08:02:05 am »
AHHHHHHH THIS IS A LITTLE MORE THAN A WEEK AWAY! I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER CASUAL COSTUME TO WEAR!

Offline Sorimatsu

• Cabbit
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »
I'm right there with you nikki, except I'm waiting for another acrylic dome to come in to convert to a spaceball helmet, my previous two have since shattered, third time is a charm right?
Kumori-league Ref 2013-present.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 01:09:09 am »
I'm excited ^^

My bestie and I will be cosplaying together the whole weekend~
Day 0/Friday: Marshall Lee with Prince Gumball (Adventure Time)
Day 1/Saturday: Death the Kid with Soul, Blair, and hopefully others (Soul Eater)
Day 3/Sunday: Ice King with Finn (Adventure Time)

I'll be fixing up some things on Ice King and I'm planning on entering him in the cosplay contest ^^
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:02 am »
This con will help hold me over for Sak. Make sure to spread the word too and buy a badge. If you want this con to happen again next year we need people to attend :)

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 06:25:47 am »
Three days to Newcon and I FINALLY have my Medusa cosplay ready, as of last night.  Man, I cut it close.  Usually I have my cosplays ready months before a con ::).
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline Rika-chan

• Oni
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
Oh dang if I knew about Newcon sooner I would have prepared a cosplay. Now it is too late so Ill just have to attend next year.
Cosplays for 2013:
Sakura Haruno (Naruto)
Kakashi (Naruto) - Maybe
Sasuke (Naruto) - Maybe
Sasori (Naruto)

And maybe more...
In case you haven't noticed, I'm indecisive :P

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 06:12:04 pm »
Rika you don't need a cosplay to come hang out. Come as yourself and meet new people!

Offline Rika-chan

• Oni
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:39 pm »
Rika you don't need a cosplay to come hang out. Come as yourself and meet new people!

Then I'll try to get some funds together to pay for the badge and I'll see if my friend can come too :)
Cosplays for 2013:
Sakura Haruno (Naruto)
Kakashi (Naruto) - Maybe
Sasuke (Naruto) - Maybe
Sasori (Naruto)

And maybe more...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »
I hope you are able to make it. Its a great way to meet other cosplayers. And the con will be pretty small so it will be even easier to talk to people.

Offline ironavenger

• Sailor Scout
    • Assembled Impersonations
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 05:02:05 pm »
Can't make it till day 3....

Offline Rika-chan

• Oni
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 02:10:51 am »
I hope you are able to make it. Its a great way to meet other cosplayers. And the con will be pretty small so it will be even easier to talk to people.

Well it turns out I have no one to go with, but I just might come anyway. I somewhat managed to put together a cosplay though. I have a cosplay Sasuke Uchiha shirt (like what he wears on the show) so I figured I could pair that with some stuff in my closet to make a Female Sasuke cosplay. It's better than nothing I guess haha

Oh and I've tried looking for a schedule of events of the con but I can't find anything? Is there going to be some interactive things that will allow con goers to interact with each other (meet new people etc).
Cosplays for 2013:
Sakura Haruno (Naruto)
Kakashi (Naruto) - Maybe
Sasuke (Naruto) - Maybe
Sasori (Naruto)

And maybe more...

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 07:04:36 am »
To everyone who does not have a cosplay ready,

There will always be non-cosplayers at conventions, so if you come without a cosplay, you won't get stared at.  I know that non-cosplayers were rare at Kumoricon last year, but they were there.  Cosplay isn't something everybody is into, so not everybody shows up in cosplay.  You'll be just fine coming in "civilian apparel."

COME TO NEWCON ANYWAYS!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:06:18 am by Pixie »
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)