Author Topic: Let's not over use or locking power now, eh?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Dark_Lady_Kassendra

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/darkladykassendra.html
Let's not over use or locking power now, eh?
« on: September 12, 2005, 10:25:54 pm »
Ok, exactly why was 3 word stories topic locked? Come on, those things are fun! We'd not crossed any lines or broke any rules! Grrr.... don't be like this, let's enjoy a forum for what it is, an arena for free speech and self expression.
Jerimiah of Bakazoku Fangirl- (yes, we're even engaged!!!! ^.^ we consumated our love with a Beef Crunch Wrap Supream and a hot sauce packet that asked him to marry me ^.^)

Goggle Squad Fangirl- also so dubbed by Waffles

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 06:07:36 am »
There is a clear explaination why.

"No, not again".

Clear as day.

Three word stories, while sometimes fun, always tend to get annoying, and are usually just a way of spamming.

I gotta agree with the decision to lock it.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 06:11:13 am »
Yes, it's much better to take away the threads that spammers hang out in and get them out on the rest of the board. :?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 07:16:26 am »
-points her her post count-
Thre Word Stories, Say something about the person above you, ect.
All end up as spammy threads.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:05:56 am »
Kumoricon had begun its cosplay contest is clearly a hide out for the giant squirl dancing on the Piano in the happenin' otaku lounge under a gazebo full of badgers[.] When suddenly the Badgers attacked an angry giant sqirrel for some fruit then turned into a magical creature who had a very large mushroom upon its back[.] The mushroom had a bad cold and sneezed alot so it had to go to the optometrist for some medicine so the swelling would cease and the pain would fade but wildebeest rage[...]

That's just the first two pages of the last 3 word story game. It's enough to make any editor weep.

Anyway, that's not the point. I must admit that "No, not again", on second glance, appears rather clear as mud. So let me draw from another forum's rules to explain what I'm trying to get at here.

No Fluffing. Fluff (also known as spam) is a Moderator's nightmare.

A few examples:
  • A post which does not contribute to the flow of the thread. ex. "cool", "OK". Generally speaking, posts should be at least a sentence long.
  • A post which is made purely to boost post total numbers
  • A post to tell us what you ate for dinner, where you are going for the weekend, or who your new best friends are.
  • A response of just an emoticon
  • Shameless plugs or advertisements

While I would disagree and classify that last as plain spam, threads like three word story games are pure fluff, and as such end up only detracting from the "free expression" that we do try to foster here, that is, the kind with content and thought behind it. And yes, I do hate reading threads like that.

Anyway, that's the reason behind the decision. I'm sorry I didn't explain it nearly as well when I locked the thread. I stand by my decision, but never let it be said that we overuse or abuse our powers to moderate.
2008 Facilities Liaison

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:39:50 pm »
Hmph.... well that seems just silly to me. Verbal three word stories are a great theatre improv game I often play with my drama pals. They're loads of fun the stuff you can come up with. But if your issue is simply with the fact that it'll give partakers of the game higher posting numbers, then I guess that's your perogative, though it seems silly. Just cause the thread is there doesn't mean you have to read it. Or rather is what you're getting at a 'Hecklers veto'? If that's the case I really hate that execption the the freedom of speech and expression rule. Fine. I'll abide by your rules, but know that I'm not happy about this trivial matter being so blown out of proportion. Anarchy all the way!!
Jerimiah of Bakazoku Fangirl- (yes, we're even engaged!!!! ^.^ we consumated our love with a Beef Crunch Wrap Supream and a hot sauce packet that asked him to marry me ^.^)

Offline Thejew

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 10:52:17 pm »
No its so much fun to have 3 word stories just people are stupid and f*ck them up.... >.>

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 11:40:10 pm »
...  I think the moderators are doing a good job.  Sure they locked your thread, but it wasn't really in anyway related to the Convention, Anime, Japanese Culture or anything else that this forum should deal with.  It was, as gus said, fluff.

Sure, you may have thought it was entertaining...  But it didn't really belong on this board.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:54 am »
I don't think it's too much to ask that the threads here, at the minimum, resemble a conversation. No, my issue isn't just inflating postcounts, it's primarily the huge pain it is to read things like those, which is my job. I'm sorry if this sounds authoritative to you, but it's true that we don't have many restrictions here on what you can say and do. I'm just asking that we don't have threads or forums dominated by low or no-content posts. I normally don't say anything but this was an extreme case.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 11:13:22 am »
@Dark_Lady_Kassendra
Awhile ago we had a 3-word story thread going and it seemed to have gotten slightly out of hand and it was the same group of people who posted in it (I forget who they were, honestly).  Sometimes I would log on and find about three full pages of new comments to a really weird story in one day.

I think guspasho asked that we didn't make another one of those after that too.

And I'm not trying to attack you here, I'm not saying this to sound rude, but compared to other forums, we get away with a lot here.  If you were to check out the Megatokyo forum, the people over there would flame someone alive for an intro thread.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 10:47:46 pm »
Ok, I guess I feel apeased... but I still feel... I dunno. That looked like alot of fun, and technically it did have something to do with the Con cause it was based on the Goggle Squad. Anyway, sure I'll leave it be, not like I can do much about it, I just kinda wanted and explanation more than "No, Not again." cause though my join date is quite some time, I'm rarely online and rarely come to this forum so I hadn't seen the other threads and your reasons for locking them down.

I do apologize if I over stepped some bounds, but stepping on toes is what I do. Besides, I don't wanna be a minor otaku anymore! :wink:

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 12:04:52 am »
Look at your user title now, you Intermediate you.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 08:33:33 am »
Oh, Hey, you're right!! Wow... it doesn't feel like I've posted that much... weee....