Author Topic: Nominations for 2006 Executives  (Read 13985 times)

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Nominations for 2006 Executives
« on: September 08, 2005, 05:53:14 pm »
Here's a list of the executive positions along with brief summaries.

Chair: The Chair of Kumoricon is the primary lead for the convention.  The Chair is the one person that all departments report to, and is the person that is ultimately responsible for the running of the con.  He/She is a decision maker, as well as a public head for the convention.  When someone asks to talk to the person in charge, the Chair is who should respond.  Responsible for everything, yet with a properly and well staffed convention, actual work up to and including the con should be mostly maintaining momentum and acting as the voice of the convention.  Must be level headed, and able to make forward moving decisions without hesitation.

Director of Operations: Responsible for Operations.  Operations deals with everything that makes the convention run.  Staffing, Security, Equipment, Communication, Registration, etc.  Must be able to be a hard-ass.  When something is happening on the ground, the Ops director should know about it, and be able to deal with it with minimal intervention from other convention personnel.  Must be efficient, and organized.  Deals mostly with the Chair, and Programming.

Director of Programming: Responsible Programming.  Programming deals with all content at the convention.  Main Events, Video Rooms, Panels, Dance, etc.  Must be creative, and willing to explore new ideas in programming.  Responsible for Scheduling events, and making sure Ops is aware of all requirements for specific rooms at specific times.  The work done by Programming is ultimately the reason people come to the convention, so they must be able to keep it well organized, and entertaining.

Director of Relations: Responsible for Relations.  Relations deals with all people that are neither attendees or staff.  This includes Artists, Guests of Honor, Industry, and Exhibitors.  Mainly this means bringing non-attendees and staff to the convention, or acquiring “swag” for the convention.

Director of Publicity: Responsible for Publicity.  Publicity is responsible for getting the word out about the convention, and bringing in people to the convention.  If publicity is not running at full steam all the time, then the convention is potentially losing money.  Publicity is perhaps the smallest of the departments, but is responsible for bringing people to the con.

These are the executive staff positions. Thanks to Ryan Stasel for drawing these up. Ask if you have any questions about what the people in these positions do!

(above edited in by Guspasho)

Here's a list of the nominations and status of people nominated for executive positions for 2006:

Chair:

Arlene Penrose - Accepted
Bronwyn William - Declined
Meg Uhde - Accepted
Sean Larson - Accepted
Duncan Barth - Defered

Director of Operations:

Ryan Stasel - Accepted
Bronwyn Williams - Declined
Duncan Barth - Defered

Director of Programming:

Meg Uhde - Accepted
Brenda McFadden - Accepted

Director of Publicity:

Zac Goodwin - Accepted
Elmira Utz - Declined
Kristin Bartholomew, aka Darkerlight - Accepted

Director of Relations:

Brian Hammond - Accepted

I will try to update the list as people are nominated/accept/decline/step down.

Feel free to make your nominations heard.
~Sean Larson~

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 10:05:36 pm »
Arlene!!!  I think the laid back attitude of the con made people really comfy and nice.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline eerielunarose

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/eerielunarose/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 04:41:37 am »
I edited the initial post here just to add Brenda's last name.

Also, I seem to recall a nomination of Sean Larsen for Publicity by Ryan Stasel at the opening of the nominations. I believe it was accepted at the time it was made, but even if it has since been changed to declined, it should be posted as well along with all the others.

We should check the notes to make sure nothing's missed.
Eerie Lunarose
Electronics Clerk (Beware my Register-fu!)
One Hour Photo Guru
Fully Fueled by Coffee

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 07:28:18 am »
Brownie's emailed to let us know she is declining to be on the Board of Directors next year, so I am editing Sean's post to reflect that as well.

I also emphasized the names of the candidates who have accepted so far.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 04:00:06 pm »
I'm accepting my nomination for Chair of Kumoricon 2006.
~Sean Larson~

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 04:07:01 pm »
*chuckles*
dont look at me
im not good nomination material.  Im just good at following orders!
*runs screaming off into the distance*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 05:07:47 pm »
Quote from: "EvilMonkey"
I'm accepting my nomination for Chair of Kumoricon 2006.

Rock! I will do my best to serve you if you are elected. Otherwise, you are my mook. Mouh hahahahahahahah! [More off camera evil laughter].

<plink, plink>

<3
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 08:05:49 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
*chuckles*
dont look at me

Clean my house!
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 04:35:28 pm »
*chuckles*
dont look at me
:lol:

You heard 'em boy! go clean the house  :lol:
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 01:56:03 pm »
Id like to nominate (Darkerlight) as PR.  shes got alot of experience and a ton of great ideas to impliment to make the con bigger then ever. :)

(shes also my roomie so I get to hear these ideas every single day... *runs screaming in the opisite direction*)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 02:06:53 pm »
Is that Relations or Publicity? "PR" kinda sounds like it could be either.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 09:04:46 pm »
Id like to nominate (Darkerlight) as PR.  shes got alot of experience and a ton of great ideas to impliment to make the con bigger then ever. :)

(shes also my roomie so I get to hear these ideas every single day... *runs screaming in the opisite direction*)

Do we really want the con to get that much bigger?  I really like it as a small con, but that's just me I guess.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline eerielunarose

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/eerielunarose/
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 12:34:12 am »
To reply to kylite's suggestion, there is to be a Public Relations position I believe, but yeah, it's appointed, not elected. So if that's a job Darkerlight would like, then they'll need to talk to whomever gets to be head of the appropriate department. ^_^
Eerie Lunarose
Electronics Clerk (Beware my Register-fu!)
One Hour Photo Guru
Fully Fueled by Coffee

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 04:14:17 am »
I'm not a "public relations" kinda girl, if ya know what I mean. Maybe its just me but public relations=public speaker... Not so good at that. I enjoy behind the scenes and publicity. To clarify, I don't want the con to be "bigger than ever", just better known. I would like to try to get more local base. Kumoricon isn't widely known in Oregon and considering it's Oregon's Anime con I'd like to help change that. We have a really great community, it only seems right to share it with the people we live with the rest of the year :) I really don't care what I am or if I have a position so long as I can help in those areas. So, there's my two cents. 'night all.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 06:58:36 am »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"

Do we really want the con to get that much bigger?  I really like it as a small con, but that's just me I guess.

This year we just broke even, financially, so bringing in a few hundred more people would help. The hotel could have fit way more people than we had too, so there isn't the same issue with getting too many people that we had in 2004 (at least, not yet there isn't!)
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 08:07:27 am »
atmitted, we do want the con to stay small to a certian degree but if we have space for 3000, lets get 3000. *grins* besides, it cant be bad for the budget to sell out.

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 10:29:07 am »
You can have a large con but still keep the smaller-con feel. It is all about how it is setup and organized. Overall though you want the con to be bigger and continually grow. Continual growth means more revenue, more publicity and as it becomes more known allows more opportunities for guests, panels, etc.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 02:38:33 pm »
Absolutely HaSanGo, If you have the convention space set up with mobility in mind and localization of parts you're going a long ways towards dispersing crowds. I think that this year we did good with having the karaoke stuff upstairs, the dealers across the driveway, the star panels in the room behind the main hall, the gaming room on the other end of the lobby and (though some thought they were too far back) the fanfiction over in the executive center.

Having everything spread out meant that the crowds at each location didn't run into each other and people could disperse as they went from one to the other. A major bonus at this specific hotel was the ability to bypass the main hallway (glompway) by going OUTSIDE, also a benefit from the fresh air and lovely weather.

More to the threads purpose of choosing staff members. I don't know whose department it would be, maybe ops, but there should be a staff member whose sole responsibility is signage. sort of a mobile info person updating signs and postings so that information is up to date and highly visible. The problem with keeping things seperated and roomy is that people often don't know where things are.

However, I am quite aware of how staff members are always at a premium and that such a position could be a waste of man power. Maybe it could be a duty assigned to the ever helpful Goggle Squad.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Roy_Mustang_2005

• Oni
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 08:14:44 pm »
i'm in the same boat at darklight i try to help out if i can.

of the yojimbo need help in 06 i have a couple of crew that can help out there one of the best secerty times that i now there kinda like kylite
(runs screaming the same way as kylite)

The True Roy Mustang
"Too Slow" Snap

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 09:19:48 am »
Folks, while the last thing we want to do is discourage volunteers and people who want to become staff members, this thread is for making nominations for the elected positions. Do you or does someone you know want to run the whole convention? Nominate that person here. Then come to the convention meeting on October 9th and vote in the elections.

If, however, you want to become a staff member, help out, volunteer, whatever, sign up in the Volunteer thread in Get Involved. But please, keep this thread limited to nominations only.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 11:44:53 am »
Everyone please have a look at the original post again, I've added some basic descriptions of the positions that are up for election. Continue to feel free to nominate people for these!

Darkerlight, I'm assuming you are accepting the nomination and I've added you to the list of people up for Director of Publicity. But please let me know your real name so I can replace your username with what people will want to know you as at the meeting. Alternately, let me know if you want to decline the nomination and I've mistook you. Thanks.

Meg has decided to focus on running for Director of Programming, and has declined running for chair. I edited the original post to reflect that.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Cpl. Slicks

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 10:00:06 pm »
Could we get an actual name for "Darkerlight"?

It helps.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 06:53:16 pm »
After some convincing, Meg agreed to keep running for convention chair.

And I sent out a PM to ask who Darkerlight is.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 07:18:05 pm »
It really didn't take much convincing. Not like I was running away screaming.

NOOOO! :p

Really, I am very interested in the chair position, and it turns out others are interested in having me there. That was all I needed to know.

So...

Vote for me!!! Meg Uhde!
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 07:49:28 am »
Kristin Bartholomew, aka Darkerlight, let me know herself that she has indeed accepted the nomination and will be running for Director of Publicity.

I'm not sure if it's been clear before now but nominations can be made and accepted at the general meeting as well, up until the time that we actually vote.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 01:49:15 pm »
Is there any way to send in an absentee vote? I work graveyard and can't make it to Portland Tomorrow.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 12:04:17 am »
If I remember last year's elections correctly, we only counted votes from people in the room at the time, so no absentees. Sorry.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 12:28:02 am »
you can submit a vote via phone during the meeting.
~Sean Larson~

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 08:16:53 pm »
Seeing as how elections have been held an all...
2008 Facilities Liaison