Author Topic: Zit and scar cover up?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
Zit and scar cover up?
« on: April 09, 2012, 01:05:17 am »
So, for my Nyo!Prussia cosplay this year i'm going to be wearing a tank top.
The problem? I have some scars on my shoulders and i tend to get acne there a lot. I'm curious if anyone knows of a good waterproof makeup that would be good for covering up those scars and zits that would look natural on my skin.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Re: Zit and scar cover up?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:21:59 am »
Look at the Hard Candy make up at walmart. They have some, not a lot, but some really good cover up intended for scars and acne blemishes.

Also, I would get a wash or something, not proactive, but someting that is fast working and has the little beads in it. And right before con, shower and scrub everything as much as you can, get off all the dirt and pretty much as many layers of skin as you can lol til you look like a beautifully smooth newborn baby! Then lotion yourself up real good and put on your make up stuff. I use my cover up on my chest all the time and this really helps me.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »
Also I have really bad acne but I discovered much to my disgust.  That regular changing of my sheets and pillow cases have really helped out with the zits.  Sheets every Saturday and pillow cases on Saturdays and Wednesdays.  It's really gross but the oils from your hair and skin will hang out in your sheets and get nasty and then you lay in it for 8 hours a night. 

If you have long hair that get's oily really easy, like me, wear your hair up as much as possible so that it's not touching your skin.

My skin and hair is really oily so I wash my hair everyday without conditioner and I actually use rubbing alcohol on my trouble acne areas once a day.  If you worry about tangled hair and the benefits of conditioner just brush out your hair before you get in the shower and don't tussle it too much with your towel when you are drying off.   I don't recommend the rubbing alcohol to everyone cause it will dry out your skin.

Also very important if you do use conditioner on your hair.  Rinse the conditioner out completely before you wash your face and body.  Conditioners have a lot of oils in them to keep your hair silky and shiny but bad for acne prone skin.

I don't know much about make up...sorry.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:30:18 pm by Drauska »

Offline Hiei

• Oni
    • http://hieitheepic.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:50:03 pm »
use a primer like smashbox (my favorite) and then use a concealer stick (green on red scars) over the more obvious spots. dab at it and then dab something like revlon photoready liquid foundation on top. blend it using a wide brush in circular stippling motion. don't smudge/smear it, just stipple it smooth. apply a creamy powder finish and you should be good to go.

i don't know of any makeup that is waterproof.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:50:52 pm by Hiei »
You're a team player; a save the day superhero. I hate people like you.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »
^There is waterproof make up setting spray like Ben Nye but I have not used it before. Hiei's advice is great to follow--do test things out before con! :)

Also, be careful with the scrubbing advice--you don't want to irritate your skin and break out more.  Using St. Ive's apricot scrub on my face was a nightmare many years ago...never tried it on my body to review. Others can tolerate scrubs, but usually acne-prone is needs more delicate care.
And so it begins...

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »
Do you guys have any suggestions for like covering up moles?
cause I literally have like 6 on my forehead and it discourages me from cosplaying characters without bangs : C
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline 4evaRyuk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »
Same with Kit2kit, I've got a face full of freckles (sucks having fair skin, so much work to look after) and need some help. I don't particularly like using concealer because I normally look orange after putting it on and from what I've seen can give people some pretty ugly acne (girls at my school adore concealer like it's their god and just keep applying it despite their horrible acne and zits). I use sunlotion alot to help prevent me from getting more freckles, any ideas?
Don't call me small I'll break down your feet and stick 'em on your head!

Offline Hiei

• Oni
    • http://hieitheepic.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:04:34 pm »
the same trick should work for both of you.

i don't use makeup outside of con. if you use a primer it will also help drastically, and use a good concealer. if your face looks orange then you're using the wrong shade. the concealer should be the same color as the back of your palm.

the girls at your school probably aren't doing it right. just make sure you wash your face really good at night and you should be fine.
You're a team player; a save the day superhero. I hate people like you.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »
I use blackhead eliminating stuff from Neutrogena. It has beads in it. I switched last year from a St Ives kind, and when I did a lot of the redness and irritation I had went away.

Also drink lots of water. It helps move the oils and bad toxins through your body.

And if you get bad zits that hurt when you touch them, put some neosporin on them before bed, or have a bandaid covering them while you're awake. I didn't think it'd work, but after trying it out for a few months off and on, the neosporin really helps with the painful ones.

As for makeup, I'd say look into the "Physician's Formula" makeup. Somewhere in their lineup, or around them in the store, is a moisturizer foundation that is pretty transparent, But it helps the skin while acting like make-up. And it layers easily to get more solid coverage :)
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)