Author Topic: Ramen Firebowl Contest  (Read 3062 times)

Offline SenahbirdR

• Cabbit
Ramen Firebowl Contest
« on: September 08, 2005, 03:41:19 pm »
I found this contest to be a great idea and I had a good time. I am the guy in the grey shirt who spilt ramen all over himself and got second.... a far second.

However... and some of this is stuff I should of thought of going in. There was an issue with how hot the water was. I was expecting the problem to be was spiciness. I could not even taste spiciness, not because it was not spicy but because the water was so hot and scalding I had no taste buds for a day. Normally, I can boil up a pot of ramen on the stove, let it sit for a few minutes and then chug it. I attempted to do this with the bowl and had the shock of how hot the water was, hence I spilt it all over myself right off. Embarassing, but all in good fun ; p

Anyway, the winner had the great idea of pouring the cold water brought up to us into his ramen. Next year I think everyone should be given a cup of cold water to pour into their ramen BEFORE it begins. Also, perhaps let eveyone take one sip of the broth, so that we can see how hot it is to our mouths. Sticking your finger in is a good idea, but not as accurate as actually testing with your mouth.

We had some rather younger looking contestants in the first round and I wonder if any thought was giving to possible water burns before hand. Personally my mouth was so badly burnt that skin from the roof of my mouth peeled away. If the first place contestant is on this board I am curious as to how badly your mouth was burnt later on. Also a good idea would be to have one of the staff running such a contest to test out and try quickly eating one of the ramen bowls before the contest begins to make sure it is not beyond a safe level of heat.

The contest was a great idea though. Have it next year, make the whole thing at the tables next year. When I suggested moving it to the table that made it much better. Maybe we should think of maybe microwaving the ramen next year instead? Regardless of how we do so, lets try and make next year about trying to deal with the spicy, not the heat of the water.
Knight of Nereis
Bard of Maefwain

Offline val

• Oni
    • http://val.godshut.com
Ramen Firebowl Contest
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:07:22 pm »
Good suggestions!

Sean (Director of Relations) ran the event very well, but things always come up. I agree with you on the need for tables. We filled the bowls consecutively, so some got a chance to cool a bit while others did not, I think. Next year, staff could have a thermometer to see which bowls are still very hot and toss in an ice cube or two so that contestants don't burn themselves (except from the spicy goodness!).

Thanks for participating, you guys were great, and I hope you recover quickly. Eat lots of ice cream!

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Ramen Firebowl Contest
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:30:56 pm »
^_^ I agree. I was the Dejiko with the Gloomy Bear hat... And I think the youngest contestant? Haha, I didn't do so well... ^^;;;

I really loved this contest. It was the only thing other than Pocky Club and Bakazoku that I was really looking forward to (And that was before I got to be int it!). I think it's a good idea to give us cold water... The roof of my mouth hurt like hell afterwards. x-x

Thank you to all the staff and everyone that helped. It was a really awsome contest and I hope it's held next year. ^_^

(Thanks for a free lunch too, nyo!. ;D Reallllyyy good ramen... I loved the seaweed.)

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Ramen Firebowl Contest
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 04:40:57 pm »
I wasn't expecting the hot water provided by the hotel to be so outstandingly hot, so I apologize for any tastebuds that may have seared off during the event.  They'll grow back soon though.

I do have more ideas as to how to run the event more smoothly next year though.
~Sean Larson~

Offline SenahbirdR

• Cabbit
Ramen Firebowl Contest
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 05:32:28 pm »
Yeah, I just figured it best to get everything out so we knew how to get it better next year. I loved the contest! Awesome idea. And I doubt anyone from the con had used the water boiler before. I am not blaming anyone has it was a very well done job, especially considering this was a first ever for us!

Yes, I have been eating lots of ice cream ; p Is a good excuse.

Ooh.... one last idea. This didn't come up, but if next year the ramen actually is spicy.... maybe some slices of bread for those who are suffering afterwards? All about forethought : )

See ya guys next year!
Knight of Nereis
Bard of Maefwain