Author Topic: One year later  (Read 7784 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
One year later
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:18 pm »
So, it's been a year since Japan was struck by the tsunami.  I think it would be a great idea to mention something about Japan that we love, other than the obvious "anime."

I love Godzilla movies.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
Re: One year later
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:24:45 pm »
I love "Tatabana"

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:28 pm »
I love the mix of pop and traditional culture.

And Cherry Blossom Trees~

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:40 pm »
I've been in love with the culture ever since I first learned about the country which was in early high school. I just love their values, language, mannerisms, traditional celebrations, flashy advertisements, and the beauty of the ancient land. <3

Offline XxBelovedxSoubixX

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »
I love their food :3

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:39:13 pm »
Hmm...  I suppose I love the fact that they seem to take pride in their work and their workforce.  They adopted the capitalist model from the US after their defeat in WWII, we more or less forced it on them, they then took it and are doing a better job with it than we are.  They are miles ahead of us in many things, such as earthquake warning systems and earthquake safe buildings.  California would have suffered much more than Japan did if the quake had hit there instead.  Also their fast transit rail system is one of the best in the world.  France is probably the closest competitor.  The US isn't even a contender.

I also like the fact that they seem to have a bit more common sense than most of the US.  For example, 80% of the people in Japan actually believe that man evolved from apes despite their Catholic, Shinto and Buddhist religions.  In the US it is about evenly split. 40% believe man evolved from apes, 20% are undecided and 40% of Americans believe God created man (The majority in "The Bible Belt" of the US).  That is denial, plain and simple.  I am not saying that some all powerful deity didn't have a hand in the process, but saying that archeological fossils, carbon dating, and DNA analysis, haven't proven that the human race has evolved from apes is just plain stupid.  The only country with a higher rate of creationist belief is Turkey.  The US also actively prevents Darwinist teachings in its educational system, unlike Japan and the UK.   ::)

I am also amazed at the Japanese robotics industry and the advancements into AI that Japan has made.  As far as I know they are still the only country to make a bipedal humanoid robot that can walk up and down stairs.

As was shown on Google just a few days ago, Japan is also the creator of the art of origami.  Since I fold origami dragons all the time, I suppose that this is important to me.  ;D

I suppose I like the way that their VA's are pop idols over there.  I also love most of the music I hear as OP's and ED's for the anime I watch.  I guess I like J-Pop.

Even though you said other than anime.  I have to say that anime is the thing I most admire.  I even like how the government actually gives money to the studios for new animators to try and keep the animation in Japan instead of out sourcing it all.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »
If not for me and hubby mans love of the culture , we may not have met, got married and had baby Max
Trippy to think but the meet up we met at, we weren't looking for a spouse, but f to make friends who shared the same interests such as Japan
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackHat

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »
I love the salmon roe
I love their exchange students!
I love their hip clothes
I love their odd shaped mints!
I love their mountains
And all their sights and sounds!

boomdiyada boomdiyada boomdiyada boomdiyada...

To be serious though, I love how Japan is at the forefront of technological advances in the world today. Being a student diving headfirst into a career involving the ever evolving world of technology, Japan fascinates me in the ways it constantly grows technology.

That and I find it really endearing, how they use a lot of loan words from English. Makes it easier to read signs, when you're just piecing together katakana half the time.
Currently working on: Rose Lalonde
No set day order yet for Kumoricon, but tentative cosplay is:
fem!Scout, Rose, Quote
Always open for reworking. Only issues I'm concerned about is Quote's gun and fem!Scout's gun; Never worked with props.

Offline Su Lu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »
I like their language. It sounds so pretty.
Kumoricon 2014!
I'm just hoping I can even make it this year...

Offline 4evaRyuk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:28 pm »
Language, food (mainly candy), fashion, anime/manga, and J-Pop!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:57:38 pm by 4evaRyuk »
Don't call me small I'll break down your feet and stick 'em on your head!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:01:10 pm »
I love haniwa, their culture, and I really love their temples and trees. I love the way they honor all the seasons, and I love their wooden sculptures. I love that they're not shy with nudity, and I love that they are perfectly comfortable living in apartments and small spaces. (American's have a thing with large houses that I don't understand). Japanese maples in the fall are my favorite!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 04:26:14 am »
Wow... ten replies later, and this list has become more amazing than I thought it would.  Thank you all for sharing, and keep sharing.  And donating money to Japan, if you can.

I know this might make me sound bad, but I like their women.  Japan (and other Oriental nations) has (have) some of the most beautiful women on the planet.  (Miyabi Isshiki probably being my favorite).  I think part of it is some of their fashion options, especially their more ancient ones.  Then again, the males have some pretty sweet clothing options from the past, too, so I guess the subject of their cultural wardrobes would be something I like, too.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:27:07 am by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 12:34:53 pm »
When I was in kindergarten, my best friend was a Japanese girl, Lisa Harada. She used to go to Futibaki Japanese School on Saturdays, just as I knew I would eventually go to Hebrew School after school. She took me to her Ginza Holiday event (which is quite large in Chicago), and we would eat sukiyaki on skewers and watch judo demos and obon dancing and taiko drumming, and she would wear a little mini-Kimono, and I was totally entranced.

Then years later I ended up running the Hiroshima-Nagasaki Commemorations every August for Eugene PeaceWorks, with the help of local obon dancers and taiko drummers, as well as local Hibakusha (survivors of the atomic bombings).

Also that same best friend's father had grown up in Manzanar, which was one of the Japanese internment camps in the US during WWII, about which George Takei (whom I just saw live at Emerald City Comic Con!) is making a musical, called Allegiance. I immediately (as a 5-yr-old) linked that in my head with the little I had heard about concentration camps (may all martyred by genocide rest in peace), and thus felt a big bond between Jewish survivors and Japanese survivors. I also admired that he only spoke of it with quiet dignity and never with anger, and had that in mind when later studying Buddhist meditations on compassion and letting go of anger.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline 4evaRyuk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »
I know this might make me sound bad, but I like their women.  Japan (and other Oriental nations) has (have) some of the most beautiful women on the planet.  (Miyabi Isshiki probably being my favorite).  I think part of it is some of their fashion options, especially their more ancient ones.  Then again, the males have some pretty sweet clothing options from the past, too, so I guess the subject of their cultural wardrobes would be something I like, too.
It's not weird at all, lets face asian women are beautiful. If there was surgery that could make someone look asian I'd be the first in line.
Don't call me small I'll break down your feet and stick 'em on your head!

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 03:44:15 pm »
Gotta give my love to onaho-- I mean sushi. Yes, that's what I meant. Suchi and udon.

Seriously. I could live on sushi and udon soup! (And bubble tea, but I think that's Taiwanese.)

But like others have said, the culture is quite interesting, many of the sights are lovely, and the language is attractive as well. Maybe not quite as pretty as Italian, but it's still a very lovely language.

...And the 1/1 scale Gundam. How can I not love that?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:47:58 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 04:11:28 pm »
^ Yep; it's Taiwanese.

I also like the fact that they seem to have a bit more common sense than most of the US.  For example, 80% of the people in Japan actually believe that man evolved from apes despite their Catholic, Shinto and Buddhist religions.  In the US it is about evenly split. 40% believe man evolved from apes, 20% are undecided and 40% of Americans believe God created man (The majority in "The Bible Belt" of the US).  That is denial, plain and simple.  I am not saying that some all powerful deity didn't have a hand in the process, but saying that archeological fossils, carbon dating, and DNA analysis, haven't proven that the human race has evolved from apes is just plain stupid.  The only country with a higher rate of creationist belief is Turkey.  The US also actively prevents Darwinist teachings in its educational system, unlike Japan and the UK.   ::)

I've just noticed how off this passage is... but another time!

I also love the idea of Kodomo no Hi.  An entire festival dedicated to children is brilliant.  (Yes, I know that it originally was for boys and that girls had their own in March, but many don't do it like that anymore).

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:11:06 pm »
I love that my friend who lost her family in the tsunami finally found a friend at her new school in LA.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 07:45:36 am »
I love...shoot, now that I'm really thinking about it, it's like sensory overload. I love everything about Japan. (That's probably not true, I'm sure there are some back-alley activities that are unsavory at best...)

I love Japan's societal and cultural extremes. From nature to urbanization, the country has the quintessential beauty of both. Tokyo's neon-bedizened hub of commerce and civilization; the natural, solemn reverence surrounding their various temples and gardens. There is such subtle, elegant and unique beauty about Japanese culture. Even in their major cities, there is an attraction I'm finding hard to explain. Something akin to a Muslim's draw to Mecca, I reckon. It just draws on something nestled and fostered deep within me. Fostered on years of anime, manga, Japanese literature, food, music and other cultural exports...I love it all.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline lilyrosa143

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »
Melon flavored milk.

on another note, you do realize that japan wasn't the only place effected and nowhere NEAR the worst. Everywhere surrounding japan was hit, and a lot of places weren't nearly as well prepared. I mean the marina where I used to live DOESN'T EVEN EXIST ANYMORE. But for some reason, no one cares...  :'(
What does man value more than life, yet fear more than death and mortal strife? What the poor have the rich require, and what contented men desire. What the mizer spends and the spendthrift saves, and all men carry to there graves.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:03 pm »
Oh, absolutely.  That quake effected nearly the entire Pacific Ocean, and some of the various seas and other bodies that lead into the Indian.  However, I'm not sure what makes you think that any other country was hit the hardest.  For starters, the quake and tsunami began just off of Japan's coast, so they felt the forces harder than anyone.  Many cities had been demolished, some even completely wiped away with nothing left but debris.  Over 10,000 people are confirmed dead, with about 15,000 still unknown.  The estimated costs to repair all of these damages is between $230 to $300 billion.  We're not saying that Japan was the only place that got hurt, but it took the most damage by far.

Offline lilyrosa143

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 07:34:04 am »
Well, no, what I mean is that japan is fairly prepared for tsunamis and the surrounding didn't get nearly as much funding for reconstruction and relief. I mean they WERE hit the hardest, but they are also better able to fix the damage done. (besides the nuclear disaster that's making mutant butterflies *cough*mothra*cough*)
In any case, melon milk.
What does man value more than life, yet fear more than death and mortal strife? What the poor have the rich require, and what contented men desire. What the mizer spends and the spendthrift saves, and all men carry to there graves.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 08:31:50 am »
i love their pride.
AND THEIR GIRLS ARE SUUUUUUUUUUUPA CUTE
and their guys can trap up really well XD
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
I love their sweets/pastries >.< I have yet to make homemade chocolate cornets and melon-pan. <3
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3