Author Topic: Where should I begin in making cosplay armor?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
Where should I begin in making cosplay armor?
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:41:45 am »
Hey there I have next to no experience in making cosplays, I have so many ideas, but no idea where to start. I would love some help especially in the area of armor, such as in Kamen Rider.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:44:40 am by Oniurufu »

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
Re: Where should I begin in making cosplay armor?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:37:51 am »
I've seen a lot of ppl make the armor out of craft foam using heat to shape the piece, then use resin to make it hard.  Also go look at youtube.  There are a lot of tutorials.

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:13:43 am »
I've seen a lot of ppl make the armor out of craft foam using heat to shape the piece, then use resin to make it hard.  Also go look at youtube.  There are a lot of tutorials.
Thanks I've been really wanting to make some armor to cosplay in, thanks for the help Drauska  :D. If I don't completely fail I'll post some progress pictures once I start on it, now I just need some money... :P lol

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:21:47 pm »
I plan on using resin for the first time this spring so I've been studying. 

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »
EVA foam and Plasti-dip is another valid option, depending on the what type of armor you're gong for.  I have a friend who is making Mass Effect armor, who has also made ODST armor using that method.  Same thing,  lots of tutorials onlne.

http://www.schenz.com/fm_eva.html

Is a good starting tutorial.  Craft foam and resin work well, as mentioned.  A great place to start is:
http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
and
http://cosplaytutorial.com/list.php#armor

I'm really a beginner at armors myself, mostly only having done work with plastics, electronics, and other props like that before.  But these sites are helpful, as is asking questions on the forums here and cosplay.com (lots of good in the coscom archieves as well).
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline govi

• Sailor Scout
    • Overwrought Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:31 am »
I recommend craft foam as well.  It's worked out really nicely for me, and everybody thinks that it's boiled leather, and are surprised when I tell them it's actually foam.
Kumoricon 2011: Young Iroh (Avatar the Last Airbender)

Offline LadyFiede

• Sailor Scout
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:32 am »
I'd like to do a Power Suit Samus Aran cosplay but don't know where to start.  I've read about techniques and stuff, but I just don't know where to begin XD  Also I'm very short on money...

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:21 am »
Printer paper and sketchbooks and cereal boxes. Draft out sizes, sketches and make everything to scale that you want it to be. I had a lot of paper sketches and drafts before I even put them on the cardboard and then the foam, just to make sure what I would cut would be pretty exact to the final product's shape.

After that, I'd suggest the craft foam from JoAnn's. Seal it with glue, heat it if you need to, and paint it. And the fabric backing is a good idea for sturdiness and to reinforce its shape.
http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html <- is a really good tutorial

the 3D paint is wonderful :D And it takes paint on top of it pretty well.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:23 am »
^this. All of this.

I have been doing armor for a while now. I'm not saying I'm the greatest at it but my skills have improved. Each time I start out with a sketch on note book paper then make sure it will fit right and move on to craft foam. Each time I follow that tutorial.

I am going to start working with different methods soon though. I plan on making a chest plate for my next big costume and I think I am going to try out Maiku's method to make it supper strong.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:12:51 am by nikkiolie »

Offline LadyFiede

• Sailor Scout
    • FB
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »
You know, I'm not sure if I just hadn't thought it through or what, but it didn't occur to me to make it out of paper first.  I think I was just looking at the big picture and freakin out about everything I have to do :P  I wonder if I should start planing out the armor in paper for when I have the money to do it in full?  Maybe I'll wait till after Sakuracon at least, I still have a lot to do on the costumes for that hehe.